• Evans
    • Palmer
    • Dack
    • Conway
    • Armstrong
    • Graham
    • Harrison
    • Bennett

Good Point. would have taken that before and at half time. 

I felt second half we were better and much better defensive. Nyambe, Lenihan, Williams and Bell. I voted for Bell for MOTM. 

Dack had our best chance and I thought Bennett had scored but went wide. 

Bennett and Reed both came on and made us more solid. 

Derby had chances but they have more quality but the last 20/25 mins they faded. 

Its a point gain instead of 2 dropped. 

Palmer isn't a player that I like and Armstrong was poor aswell tonight

The ref was excellent and consistent throughout the game.  best ref I've seen so far. 

Derby only 3 shots from 22 attempts is awful 

Edited by chaddyrovers
add more comment
  • Like 1

Just now, Biz said:

Defensively solid performance going off those defensive stats. Sheer workrate going off blocks, tackles  and interceptions. Strangely we probably had the best chance of the game, 3 v 2 on target is poor but especially poor for them with so much of the ball.

I think tonight showed how much quality Mulgrew gives us from the back, finding the player as opposed to giving it away. Hopefully he is back for Saturday.

Aside from their free kick that hit the angle of post and crossbar. It was pretty clear cut though. Easier than the chance Dack did take on Saturday.

10 minutes ago, superniko said:

Nyambe and Graham the two players who stood out positively to me.

Neither Smallwood nor Armstrong should be anywhere near our starting 11, both are L1 quality at best. We need either Reed/Bennett/Rothwell alongside Evans in the middle, and Armstrong upfront on his own in a game like that is a recipe for 0 possession and continually invited pressure early on.

How Rothwell struggles to get a game is baffling, I really want to see him playing alongside Dack.

Glad we held on to get an undeserved point. Will take them away from home in this league.

Second match of the season live after Villa and I’m telling you - Smallwood is playing better than Evans.

Evans let’s on that he has the skill and ability but 90% of the time if you did the old coaching trick of “Stop. Why are you stood where you are?” He wouldn’t be able to answer. 

Richie and Reed for me. Smallwood has more football intelligence and more ten times heart. The odd misplaced pass but he was great again when we played like drains.

Bennett excellent, Palmer POOR, zero graft. And we don’t half miss Chico at the back.

Edited by S8 & Blue

2 minutes ago, Butty said:

Bennett and Reed should have started, Armstrong didn’t get a kick as the lone striker. Got moved out wide and was as ineffective, played a good through ball for evans who could have done better but hit it straight at Carson. Evans impressed again tonight though, Lenihan MOTM for me. We weren’t at it going forward but defensively there was no backs to the wall stuff really, I think the score would have stayed 0-0 if we played for another half an hour. I remember in the first 5 minutes Palmer beat a couple of players and I thought that this guy is up for it tonight, after that he disappeared really. Gave the ball away a few times before he was subbed. He wasn’t the only one guilty of that tonight. Overall though it’s a great point, would have taken that before the game.

Apparently Bennett carrying an injury

8 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Didn't see the game, but sounds like we were steeped. Where the heck was Mulgrew? 

What did people find strange about the starting line up? I notice a good few saying it, but other than Williams for Mulgrew, it's pretty much as I guessed it would be. Barring I would have played Rothwell instead of Palmer

How was Armstrong upfront? Will we ever make an out and out striker out of him? 

How did Palmer get on? 

Going off the subs, it sounds like they worked, but Mowbray really doesn't care about preferred positions does he 

Mulgrew was ill

I would have started Bennett and Brereton in place of Palmer and Conway. 

Rovers never played to Armstrong strengths when he was up front

What do you mean about preferred positions comment?

• Like 1

Sounds like Armstrong is getting off lightly compared to say Smallwood when it comes to players being criticized about not stepping up. Take the Carlisle game out of it and he has been pretty poor.

But seriously though, how the fook does Rothwell go from being our most exciting new signing, to not even being brought off the bench? We obviously dont see training, but it seems bizzare. 

• Like 2

• Backroom

Tricky team selection for the next game, you’d be sure that Conway and Palmer will be out but after a good result on paper he won’t want to make too many more changes.

Reed has to start and I’d also drop Armstrong.

so out:

Palmer, Conway, Armstrong

in:

Reed, Graham, Bennett

That still leaves Brereton and Rothwell on the bench and I’d like to see them both start!

• Like 1

• Backroom
2 minutes ago, Boroblue said:

I’m not sure why Palmer is picked over Rothwell who is a better all round player

Palmer had a lot of hype coming in, but that's not been justified at all yet. Not sure if it's because the system isn't suiting him or whether his attitude isn't right, but I'd certainly be looking to Rothwell (who's our player anyway, Palmer is not) to step in going forward. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

58% pass completion is awful - needs to improve and fast. Need the 3 points on Saturday now. Brereton won’t be able to play - starting to look a slightly peculiar one for me. 

Why can't brereton play against Stoke? 

Just now, Tom said:

Tricky team selection for the next game, you’d be sure that Conway and Palmer will be out but after a good result on paper he won’t want to make too many more changes.

Reed has to start and I’d also drop Armstrong.

so out:

Palmer, Conway, Armstrong

in:

Reed, Graham, Bennett

That still leaves Brereton and Rothwell on the bench and I’d like to see them both start!

I would like to see Reed in for Evans next to Smallwood and Bennett and Rothwell wide. Dack starts. Either Graham or Brereton up front. Palmer, Conway and Armstrong poor tonight

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

Mulgrew was ill

I would have started Bennett and Brereton in place of Palmer and Conway. 

Rovers never played to Armstrong strengths when he was up front

What do you mean about preferred positions comment?

I thought I saw someome say he brought Reed on right mid/inside right whatever you want to call it. 

I would have started Rothwell instead of conway. He probably went for Conway for his experience. Especially without Mulgrew and Bennett. I think the fact he was hauled off after 30 minutes suggests that his days are numbered. 

I think when Graham is rested in future Brereton needs to go in. Armstrong doesn't suit how we play and we can't expect the team to completely change how they play over night to suit him. What would even suit him though? I didn't see tonight's game, but I can imagine Armstrong when he is bad. His lack of strength is a big one. Dack is around the same size, but he is hardier and more physical than Armstrong. Defenders at this level can Marshall Armstrong easily. He's a one trick piney, just tries to kick it past the defender. He doesn't have any tricks really. 

2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Reaction from Tony Mowbray: “The lads deserve great credit. I’ve spoken about our spirit before and it showed tonight against a very, very good Derby side. A point against both Villa and Derby, we’ll take that and move on.” #Rovers https://t.co/JyxNzEEOE6

Ya and a point against both Ipswich and Reading 

• Like 1

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

I thought I saw someome say he brought Reed on right mid/inside right whatever you want to call it. 

I would have started Rothwell instead of conway. He probably went for Conway for his experience. Especially without Mulgrew and Bennett. I think the fact he was hauled off after 30 minutes suggests that his days are numbered. 

I think when Graham is rested in future Brereton needs to go in. Armstrong doesn't suit how we play and we can't expect the team to completely change how they play over night to suit him. What would even suit him though? I didn't see tonight's game, but I can imagine Armstrong when he is bad. His lack of strength is a big one. Dack is around the same size, but he is hardier and more physical than Armstrong. Defenders at this level can Marshall Armstrong easily. He's a one trick piney, just tries to kick it past the defender. He doesn't have any tricks really. 

Reed did play right side midfield but last season for Norwich he did play right wing back a lot. 

On Armstrong, the way we played at Hull. The ball on the ground with looking to get him in behind the defences with through balls not long balls like tonight

Very poor performance, especially the first 60 minutes. Wave after wave of attack, we stole a point which is a bonus.

The lack of control in central midfield was startling and it needs changing in there. Smallwood is no more than a squad player for me and if we have signed 3 central midfielders and none can threaten his place, we have a problem. Evans has dipped slightly but was better than Smallwood for me. When we are under the cosh we seem unable to get our foot on it and manage the game.

Mowbray got his team selection and tactics totally wrong, theres no dressing that up. He shouldnt have picked Conway but I was at least impressed that he realised that and didnt wait to change it.

Raya was at times embarrassing. Some of his handling, decision making and kicking would have been hilarious had I not been a Rovers fan.

Graham my man of the match, he has to start every game he is fit at the moment. Some terrific hold up and should have an assist but from a rare sitter by Dack.

Armstrong doesnt look like a Championship striker by any means. Dack was not in the game at all, and Palmer likewise.

Nyambe was decent, but offered nothing again going forward. Bell was as shaky as anyone up until the last half hour when he was much improved. Williams was fine, Lenihan is really poor on the ball but you cant fault his committment.

Mulgrew, Reed, Rothwell, Bennett and Graham should come in for Bell, Smallwood, Palmer, Conway and Armstrong I think at Stoke.

Derby were poor too, they ran out of ideas and a better side would have scored a hatful tonight.

Just got away from the ground and a really interesting - and entertaining - match.

The starting lineup simply didn’t work. Armstrong just not capable of winning balls in the air or holding the ball up against a team like Derby. To be fair to Mowbray, he was decisive and took off Conway for Graham early on. How we weren’t two down at that point I don’t know. I thought all the substitutions - Graham, Bennett and Reed improved the side and the performance.

Slightly less positively, a team including Conway and Palmer is way too lightweight for this league. I’ve now see Palmer a few times and he’s full of skill but too much of a liability I think. I’d personally keep him on the bench.

Raya made some good saves (though distribution suspect at times) and I thought Nyambe and Bell were our best performers.

I was certain we’d lose at half time so I’m seeing it as a good point against a decent side. Thought Derby passed it well and have a decent noisy home support. They will be up there at the end of the season.

Overall, enjoyed waking away with the point, but our limitations this season are clear.

4 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Reed did play right side midfield but last season for Norwich he did play right wing back a lot. 

On Armstrong, the way we played at Hull. The ball on the ground with looking to get him in behind the defences with through balls not long balls like tonight

So he played right of Dack tonight? Very different from wing back. Anyway, sounds like it worked. 

We need to start turning wins into draws. Not talking about tonight, but in general. Seems we either chase games or can't hold leads. We need to be consistent for as much of a game as possible 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

9 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I would like to see Reed in for Evans next to Smallwood and Bennett and Rothwell wide. Dack starts. Either Graham or Brereton up front. Palmer, Conway and Armstrong poor tonight

2 questions:

I know you wrote off Graham for a lot of last season, but surely you now appreciate that he has to be first choice at the moment? His hold up is a crucial out ball and we look lost without him.

You were staunchly in defence of giving Conway a new deal. Surely you think that maybe that was a mistake? Hes never a Championship player nowadays.

2 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Nyambe was decent, but offered nothing again going forward. Bell was as shaky as anyone up until the last half hour when he was much improved. Williams was fine, Lenihan is really poor on the ball but you cant fault his committment.

Mulgrew, Reed, Rothwell, Bennett and Graham should come in for Bell, Smallwood, Palmer, Conway and Armstrong I think at Stoke.

Derby were poor too, they ran out of ideas and a better side would have scored a hatful tonight.

I thought Bell was good all game. Nyambe is a defensive full back but he did very well tonight and the season. 

I disagree with dropping Bell for Williams at left back. I would drop Evans not Smallwood for Reed. Agree on Bennett and Rothwell for Palmer and Conway. on Graham, all down to how fit he is and whether he can play 3 games in a week. look shattered in the last 5 mins. lets see 1st

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

So he played right of Dack tonight? Very different from wing back. Anyway, sounds like it worked. 

We need to start turning wins into draws. Not talking about tonight, but in general. Seems we either chase games or can't hold leads. We need to be consistent for as much of a game as possible 

correct. 

1 lost in 8 games but only 2 wins. tho we have taken 5 points against Brentford, Villa and now Derby

Just now, roversfan99 said:

2 questions:

I know you wrote off Graham for a lot of last season, but surely you now appreciate that he has to be first choice at the moment? His hold up is a crucial out ball and we look lost without him.

You were staunchly in defence of giving Conway a new deal. Surely you think that maybe that was a mistake? Hes never a Championship player nowadays.

all down to Graham and his fitness. He's 33 years old and I don't think he can play 3 games a week at this level. I would play Brereton at Stoke. Swansea cause Stoke problems and didn't have their main striker on the pitch. 

Ive already said I wouldn't have started Conway in today's game and my thoughts was a player off the bench in certain games using his experience and knowledge. The odd start in games but tonight game was the game for Conway from the start