• Evans
    • Palmer
    • Dack
    • Conway
    • Armstrong
    • Graham
    • Harrison
    • Bennett

I suppose the idea of handing out the two year deals is to give ageing players a bit of stability and hope they put shifts in when required to show their appreciation. Both were probably signed as back up when maybe they could have had one year deals elsewhere and maybe more football.

Both turned out pointless in the end but I think we are moving away from that kind of thing now looking at the age of the defence the other night and all the defensive/centre mids used.  Experienced back up doesn't come cheap even lower down the ladder and similar from this league would want two year deals on 10 grand plus per week.

The future is youth blended with ready made players who might cost a bit but will come in and do you a job straight away and last 3 or 4 years imo.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, tomphil said:

I suppose the idea of handing out the two year deals is to give ageing players a bit of stability and hope they put shifts in when required to show their appreciation. Both were probably signed as back up when maybe they could have had one year deals elsewhere and maybe more football.

Both turned out pointless in the end but I think we are moving away from that kind of thing now looking at the age of the defence the other night and all the defensive/centre mids used.  Experienced back up doesn't come cheap even lower down the ladder and similar from this league would want two year deals on 10 grand plus per week.

The future is youth blended with ready made players who might cost a bit but will come in and do you a job straight away and last 3 or 4 years imo.

Incentivised deals should be given to older signings based on appearances. Two year deals to aging, unfit players are a waste of money.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Incentivised deals should be given to older signings based on appearances. Two year deals to aging, unfit players are a waste of money.

True they should be one year with an option although I've seen cases were pally managers will then play them so they get enough games in to trigger it and annoy fans by leaving others out.

But whittingham only singed here becasue it was a 2 year deal. Without that 2nd year he would probably have gone elsewhere.

Obviosuly with hindsight who cares, but at the time it looked a good signing and everyone seemed pretty happy with the deal.

It didnt work out, we got burned a bit, but thats football. Every signing is a risk one way or another

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, tomphil said:

True they should be one year with an option although I've seen cases were pally managers will then play them so they get enough games in to trigger it and annoy fans by leaving others out.

With some of the previous parasitic managers I can believe it might have happened but I couldn't see Mowbray weakening the team to help a player clock up enough games to warrant an extension.

• Like 1

Mowbray in the LT saying we only have one creative player whereas Derby had three or four. Is that not why we brought in Rothwell and Palmer? It must make them feel good when they read that ?

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/16891430.tony-mowbray-wants-rovers-to-improve-in-possession/?ref=mac

Edited by blueboy3333
  • Like 3

• J*B unpinned this topic

Harrison Reed is a talent but we will wait and see. Said Tony. Wait and see for what. It's comments like that I don't understand. He says we need to improve in quality and may need the transfer market to do it, yet has a new signing with the quality but he's waiting and seeing. What is he waiting for exactly.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Harrison Reed is a talent but we will wait and see. Said Tony. Wait and see for what. It's comments like that I don't understand. He says we need to improve in quality and may need the transfer market to do it, yet has a new signing with the quality but he's waiting and seeing. What is he waiting for exactly.

Yeah agreed, Mogga has done a great job but some of the stuff he comes out with does leave me scratching my head.

I do think something could have gone on between Mowbray and Rothwell, especially against Villa i found it strange he was'nt brought on instead of Brererton.

Maybe Rothwell has been a little too insistent that he want's to be playing in the middle of the park that's where he wants to play,and i do think at home especially against the lesser teams he should be given a start in that position, he probably lacks a bit of discipline to start in that position right now against the teams that will attack us more though.

If Rothwell doesn't start as one of the three behind the striker on Saturday then i will definitely think something has gone on.

10 hours ago, islander200 said:

Yeah agreed, Mogga has done a great job but some of the stuff he comes out with does leave me scratching my head.

I do think something could have gone on between Mowbray and Rothwell, especially against Villa i found it strange he was'nt brought on instead of Brererton.

Maybe Rothwell has been a little too insistent that he want's to be playing in the middle of the park that's where he wants to play,and i do think at home especially against the lesser teams he should be given a start in that position, he probably lacks a bit of discipline to start in that position right now against the teams that will attack us more though.

If Rothwell doesn't start as one of the three behind the striker on Saturday then i will definitely think something has gone on.

Was in the LT today that he hasn't been playing because of the state of his fitness since he signed and also that he has been lacking in the defensive aspects of his game. Has apparently worked hard recently and is currently the second most athletic player at the club  according to TM. Reckon he could be seeing more minutes soon.

1 hour ago, JacknOry said:

Was in the LT today that he hasn't been playing because of the state of his fitness since he signed and also that he has been lacking in the defensive aspects of his game. Has apparently worked hard recently and is currently the second most athletic player at the club  according to TM. Reckon he could be seeing more minutes soon.

I know mate i read it this morning but every game he has played he has impressed in my eyes, still a bit suprised we haven't seen him at least from the bench the last few games 

Always looked busy in the games he has played and didn't look to be lacking fitness but i suppose Mowbray see's him everyday in training.With that article i think he will start him tomorrow

5 hours ago, JacknOry said:

I wonder who the most athletic is? 

I bet it's Evans , even though my first thought was Lenihan, Bennett or Nyambe 

On 20/09/2018 at 15:34, arbitro said:

With some of the previous parasitic managers I can believe it might have happened but I couldn't see Mowbray weakening the team to help a player clock up enough games to warrant an extension.

He hardly needs to. He is so very, very cautious when adding new signings to the team, the older more established players are almost guaranteed their game time whilst he waits half a season waiting for the pricey new talent to establish itself.

For example, if the Bell/Williams situation is how it is going to be with Reed, Rothwell and Brereton waiting to get in the side then they will have to wait for injuries before they get an uninterrupted run to prove themselves. 

Mowbray’s a good man and should not be compared with the parasites. He does make team selections based on loyalty to established players though.