BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

ROVERS VS STOKE CITY

44 minutes ago, rigger said:

I thought Danny Graham showed his class, when after the game he climbed over the wall to give his shirt personally to a fan.

Lenihan, Dack, Bennett and Graham all gave their shirts to the fans. Great effort

20 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt with Dack and say he was injured but why take Graham of he was exceptional yesterday and gave us a real outlet to build of and I'm not sure what Armstrong offers in yesterdays situation.  

Why take Graham off? Cos he was shattered and for the 5 mins before that he was looking at the bench every opportunity saying he was done. 

He did great yesterday and He shouldnt be playing on Tuesday and saved for Saturday game..

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Lenihan, Dack, Bennett and Graham all gave their shirts to the fans. Great effort

Why take Graham off? Cos he was shattered and for the 5 mins before that he was looking at the bench every opportunity saying he was done. 

He did great yesterday and He shouldnt be playing on Tuesday and saved for Saturday game..

I didnt think he even looked tired, but he was so good yesterday, as you acknowledged. For me he was a class above anyone on that pitch. As soon as he goes off we cant hold the ball up.

I thought Brereton (and the other subs to be fair) was poor in the last 10 minutes and hes had 3 cameos now where in each hes looked sluggish, half-arsed and unable to hold the ball up. There was once when he threw himself over, won a soft free kick and literally instantly gave it back to Stoke, he also didnt seem to properly challenge for the ball in the air.

That said, I dont think anyone could have hand picked 3 more difficult introductions, against Bristol City when they were building a head of steam, against Villa out of position and then yesterday when we had just collapsed and let in 2. Would love for him to play 90 minutes against Bournemouth and score a goal or 2. That said, in terms of the League, Graham has the shirt and it will be difficult for Brereton to get it off him anytime soon.

• J*B unpinned this topic

I didn't follow the game yesterday but taking this result in isolation I have to agree with an earlier poster, this was probably the best result we've had under Mowbray. 

I'd even go as far as to say it's the best result since Venkys started the destriction of the club.

A side recently promoted from league 1 beating a recently relegated Premiership club with the likes of Ince, Berahinio, Allen and Adobe in its ranks is a superb achievement, and we should all be very proud of the players and manager.

We are by no means the finished article, I believe we are some way off challenging the top 6, but progress under Mowbray has been nothing short of remarkable under the circumstances, and long may it continue.

Onwards and upwards.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I didnt think he even looked tired, but he was so good yesterday, as you acknowledged. For me he was a class above anyone on that pitch. As soon as he goes off we cant hold the ball up.

I thought Brereton (and the other subs to be fair) was poor in the last 10 minutes and hes had 3 cameos now where in each hes looked sluggish, half-arsed and unable to hold the ball up. There was once when he threw himself over, won a soft free kick and literally instantly gave it back to Stoke, he also didnt seem to properly challenge for the ball in the air.

That said, I dont think anyone could have hand picked 3 more difficult introductions, against Bristol City when they were building a head of steam, against Villa out of position and then yesterday when we had just collapsed and let in 2. Would love for him to play 90 minutes against Bournemouth and score a goal or 2. That said, in terms of the League, Graham has the shirt and it will be difficult for Brereton to get it off him anytime soon.

Graham or Dack shouldnt play against Bournemouth. 

Play Brereton and Armstrong up front

Graham was shattered but he never gives up. 

Brereton isnt a striker who holds the ball type yet. Being here and with Graham he can learn of him. Hes 19 years old and move to new area and away from family/friends. Have you done this? Give him time. This is similar project to Kalinic I guess. 

39 minutes ago, Gav said:

I didn't follow the game yesterday but taking this result in isolation I have to agree with an earlier poster, this was probably the best result we've had under Mowbray. 

I'd even go as far as to say it's the best result since Venkys started the destriction of the club.

A side recently promoted from league 1 beating a recently relegated Premiership club with the likes of Ince, Berahinio, Allen and Adobe in its ranks is a superb achievement, and we should all be very proud of the players and manager.

We are by no means the finished article, I believe we are some way off challenging the top 6, but progress under Mowbray has been nothing short of remarkable under the circumstances, and long may it continue.

Onwards and upwards.

I agree with most of that Gav although we have had one or two other good results over that period. The win at Old Trafford under Keanochio, the win at Wolves to keep us up, the FACup win at Arsenal, that run in the FACup a year or two back.

I've always said all I want from our team is that when they come off the pitch they've given it their absolute best shot. It appears at the moment that this group of players has bought into that ethos. As you say we're not the finished item yet but the initial signs are looking good.

This time last year I was trudging off Boundary Park having seen us come off second best to an hard working Oldham team.  I'd just watched a pretty disjointed performance were we had looked a poor team and the prospects of promotion appeared to be a million miles away. Obviously a lot can happen in a year in football. We're going well in the Championship and Oldham are bumping along in the bottom division. As Greavsey used to say " It's A Funny Old Game ".

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 5

6 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Brereton isnt a striker who holds the ball type yet. Being here and with Graham he can learn of him. Hes 19 years old and move to new area and away from family/friends. Have you done this? Give him time. This is similar project to Kalinic I guess. 

I would play Palmer off Brereton, because Brereton will always be playing with a number 10 in the league, so he should get used to being the focal point with someone playing off him. Armstrong is far more effective wide so play him one side and Rothwell the other.

I never said I am not going to give him time. I said I havent been impressed in any of his 3 cameos but obviously hes yet to even start a game, and I said I would love him to get a goal or 2 and get up and running. I havent written him off, just commenting on him in the match thread to which I am judging him on, like everyone else.

Hes moving from Nottingham, a couple of hours away, not Split! I hope it isnt similar to Kalinic whose time ultimately was a failure here.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I liked Kalinic and I thought he was a decent player. Unfortunately things didn't work out for him for several reasons. Subsequently he's reached his true potential with some top clubs in Europe.  I hope the Brereton saga has a more profitable ending for Rovers.

4 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I would play Palmer off Brereton, because Brereton will always be playing with a number 10 in the league, so he should get used to being the focal point with someone playing off him. Armstrong is far more effective wide so play him one side and Rothwell the other.

I never said I am not going to give him time. I said I havent been impressed in any of his 3 cameos but obviously hes yet to even start a game, and I said I would love him to get a goal or 2 and get up and running. I havent written him off, just commenting on him in the match thread to which I am judging him on, like everyone else.

Hes moving from Nottingham, a couple of hours away, not Split! I hope it isnt similar to Kalinic whose time ultimately was a failure here.

No excuses for him not starting the game at Bournemouth up front. The perfect game for him. A low profile away fixture that we aren't expected to win were the attendance will be relatively small and the pressure will be minimal

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

It was the fact that he went out of his way to give the shirt to an individual fan. I thought that showed particular class. That is a trait not always attributed to football players. It illustrated the bond between our players and fans.

Harrison Reed might sound like an estate agency but boy that kid should be snapped up if possible. No wonder the Norwich fans wanted him back this season. he is 23 now and if he is not getting first team action at Southampton he should be looking to move on - to US.

Been very impressed with him and he fits the ethos that TM wants - works hard.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Palmer wouldn't be in my starting team for the game. I would play 2 up front for this game. 

so that's a no then to my question? 

It will take months to settle in, new house, new area and adapt to Rovers style and Mowbray ways. 

28 minutes ago, rigger said:

It was the fact that he went out of his way to give the shirt to an individual fan. I thought that showed particular class. That is a trait not always attributed to football players. It illustrated the bond between our players and fans.

so did Dack and Bennett. You are correct that there is a great bond between the players, managers and the fans. The fans never stop signing yesterday and 

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Palmer wouldn't be in my starting team for the game. I would play 2 up front for this game. 

It will take months to settle in, new house, new area and adapt to Rovers style and Mowbray ways. 

so did Dack and Bennett. You are correct that there is a great bond between the players, managers and the fans. The fans never stop signing yesterday and 

I would look to continue in the system we play in the league but with different personnel. I know that you would rather play anyone but Palmer :lol: but I would play him for a first time in his natural position. See how Brereton links with a natural number 10 playing off him.

I've already acknowledged that there will be a settling in period so I dont know why you are trying to start an argument with something I am in agreement with. I have already repeatedly stated that there are mitigating circumstances and reasons why the games he has come in to would have been especially difficult.

I think that Brereton has been poor in all 3 sub appearances. I wish he would stop throwing himself over too. You are talking to me as if I have said he is a crap player or I have written him off.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

53 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

This is not a criticism but in fact Dack and Bennet threw their shirts into the crowd, whereas Graham climbed over the perimeter and gave his shirt to an individual. To me that shows the class of the man.

• Like 1

Reed impressed in the role he played wide yesterday, but like Bennett he is very much a conservative choice out wide considering he is usually a central midfielder, who can fill in at right back. Yes he scored and it was a cool finish but based on his post match interview, its maybe not a common trait for him!

I do wonder if we have stumbled upon someone who can be a better alternative to Bennett, should he be either unavailable, needed elsewhere or lacking form, rather than needing to resort to Conway again?

As much as it worked very well yesterday, it is very rare that we need all 4 of Smallwood, Evans, Reed and Bennett across the midfield, and Mowbray likes to play Dack, a striker and one other attacking player. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JacknOry said:

Harrison Reed might sound like an estate agency but boy that kid should be snapped up if possible. No wonder the Norwich fans wanted him back this season. he is 23 now and if he is not getting first team action at Southampton he should be looking to move on - to US.

Been very impressed with him and he fits the ethos that TM wants - works hard.

Is he here all season ??