BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Bogey grounds

I'm going to the game tomorrow and it occurred to me that I couldn't remember seeing us win or even draw at Stoke. I had a look on the Soccerbase website at our head-to-head record against Stoke to check whether I was right and discovered that I have been to watch Rovers at Stoke five times and we have lost each time. I first went in 1988 when they beat us 2:1 bringing our 20+ game unbeaten run to an end. Since then, we have lost four and won two games at Stoke. Needless to say, I missed the two wins but was there for each of the defeats.

That got me thinking about whether I have any other bogey grounds and two immediately came to mind - West Ham and Leicester. Having checked on Soccerbase, I have discovered that my records at those two teams’ grounds are:

Leicester

Games: 8

Wins: 0

Draws: 3

Losses: 5

West Ham

Games: 10

Draws: 2

Losses: 8

So, I have watched Rovers play 23 times away at those three teams and I have yet to see us win. I’m hoping to break that duck tomorrow……

Does anybody else have a personal bogey ground that beats my records at Stoke, Leicester and West Ham??

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, D-side17 said:

I'm going to the game tomorrow and it occurred to me that I couldn't remember seeing us win or even draw at Stoke. I had a look on the Soccerbase website at our head-to-head record against Stoke to check whether I was right and discovered that I have been to watch Rovers at Stoke five times and we have lost each time. I first went in 1988 when they beat us 2:1 bringing our 20+ game unbeaten run to an end. Since then, we have lost four and won two games at Stoke. Needless to say, I missed the two wins but was there for each of the defeats.

That got me thinking about whether I have any other bogey grounds and two immediately came to mind - West Ham and Leicester. Having checked on Soccerbase, I have discovered that my records at those two teams’ grounds are:

Leicester

Games: 8

Draws: 3

Losses: 5

West Ham

Games: 10

Draws: 2

Losses: 8

So, I have watched Rovers play 23 times away at those three teams and I have yet to see us win. I’m hoping to break that duck tomorrow……

Does anybody else have a personal bogey ground that beats my records at Stoke, Leicester and West Ham??

I have been Wigan a few times and never seen us win there (missed all the ones when we kept winning there). been United away a few times and never won, been city a few times and never won, been Liverpool 2 or 3 times and never won, I am same as you with Stoke been a few times and never won.

Wolves probably one of my better grounds every time I have been there we have won, been Hull and Burnley a few times and not seen us lose there either.

11 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

That's interesting. I would have thought we had a good record at West ham. 

We won there in 94 the season we won the league and never won again in all our time in the premiership. Must have been at least 14 seasons or so either side of the relegation in 99. So 14 games, think we may have had them in the cup there once or twice also and not won. 

Edited by AAK

31 minutes ago, AAK said:

We won there in 94 the season we won the league and never won again in all our time in the premiership. Must have been at least 14 seasons or so either side of the relegation in 99. So 14 games, think we may have had them in the cup there once or twice also and not won. 

We definitely didn't beat them in the Premiership winning season, I along with 4000 fellow Rovers can vouch for that. Tremendous  following that day, loud and proud, but they did us a favour in the final game. 

But yes West Ham is certainly a bogey ground, as is Old Trafford.

Never seen us win at either.....

Edited by Gav

44 minutes ago, Gav said:

We definitely didn't beat them in the Premiership winning season, I along with 4000 fellow Rovers can vouch for that. Tremendous  following that day, loud and proud, but they did us a favour in the final game. 

When Bentley got the hat trick, was not at old Trafford? 

I first went to Stoke in 78 when Howard Kendall as playing for them and we lost...Once went to Victoria Ground at New Year high scoring draw in 80s ....Cannot remember us winning there at all !

Seen us win at West Ham Pearce scoring late winner midweek game...

Leicester yes, we had just signed Livingstone and Dobson 3 -1 I think....

I have never been  but don't think or record at either Bristol club is very good !

Edited by Waggy76

1 hour ago, 47er said:

I saw us win at Stoke early 60's. Cup-tie, 1-0 ,Duggie penalty. It was the time when Stanley Matthews came back to them but he was injured that day, as he invariably was!

Remember going down to Stoke early 60s because Matthews was down to play in Friday night's paper.  Needless to say come Saturday afternoon at the Victoria Ground he was nowhere to be seen - but had put a few extra on the gate!

14 hours ago, Gav said:

93/94 sorry.

8 hours ago, Parsonblue said:

Remember going down to Stoke early 60s because Matthews was down to play in Friday night's paper.  Needless to say come Saturday afternoon at the Victoria Ground he was nowhere to be seen - but had put a few extra on the gate!

And Rovers were guilty of the same thing! Bump to the gate at Ewood and only found he wasn't playing when the teams were announced just before KO!

2 hours ago, renrag said:

Yah! I remember that clear as a bell. There was only a few minutes left and Fred Pickering was the penalty taker at the time. He put the ball on the spot and then nerves seemed to get to him, so Douglas took over and slotted it home. Also, I believe that was a game when a Stoke fan made the TV news, when he threatened to sue the referee for spoiling his entertainment by making an error and awarding the penalty.

Yes, remember that! Penalty was clear-cut as well!