BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

AFC Bournemouth v ROVERS

AFC Bournemouth - AKA 'The Cherries' - so nicknamed because of the colour of their original strip or because Dean Court, their original ground, was next to some estate that had various cherry orchards. Their current strip was nicked off AC Milan in the early 70's. The bloody nerve. 

Originally called Boscombe FC and then later Bournemouth & Boscombe FC, they only became AFC Bournemouth in 1972 at the behest of a certain John Bond (managed Burnley for a year and sold all their best players - Legend).  The Dingle connection still persists in the guise of Howe and Stanislas, who felt sorry for them yesterday and let them win 4-0. 

They hold the record for the longest ever continuous stay in the 3rd division and have spent most of their existence in the bottom 2 divisions. They only reached the 2nd tier for the first time in 1987 under Harry Redknapp, and the top flight for the first time in 2015 under Howe. 

Josh King, and that winger we recently sold whose name escapes me, are the only two players I can think of who have played for both clubs. I have the memory of a goldfish not long out of a coma though so there could be thousands of them. 

Bournemouth are currently owned by Harry Redknapp's dog. 

Apparently we are resting a load of players (according to Rich Sharpe) and the likes of Brereton and Rodwell could make their debuts. 

Thread here from their forum on who they may select to play https://bournemouth-forum.vitalfootball.co.uk/threads/blackburn-line-up.6914/

Tough game after a run of other tough games. It may be close, we may get smashed, jumpers for goalposts, may the best team win on penalties...

We bested Howe when under the stewardship of Sir Gary back in 2014. More of this please:-

Up The Rovers. Lets pip The Cherries.

• Like 2

As per the last round, hope we win but we have to use the squad a bit more and leave 2 or 3 at home. That said, would love to progress, dont understand why some "dont care" at all about the cup and also we can hope that some players give the manager some decisions to make regarding League selection.

Raya

Travis Downing Williams Bell

Rodwell Smallwood

Armstrong Palmer Rothwell

Brereton

Subs: Leutwiler, Lenihan, Nuttall, Conway, Reed, Bennett, Nyambe

Just now, roversfan99 said:

As per the last round, hope we win but we have to use the squad a bit more and leave 2 or 3 at home. That said, would love to progress, dont understand why some "dont care" at all about the cup and also we can hope that some players give the manager some decisions to make regarding League selection.

Raya

Travis Downing Williams Bell

Rodwell Smallwood

Armstrong Palmer Rothwell

Brereton

Subs: Leutwiler, Lenihan, Nuttall, Conway, Reed, Bennett, Nyambe

I would swap Rothwell and Armstrong. 

I would also play Rodwell centre half instead of Downing. Reed in midfield 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

I would swap Rothwell and Armstrong. 

I would also play Rodwell centre half instead of Downing. Reed in midfield 

Chose wingers that side to allow Rothwell to cut in more. Armstrong was effective on either side last year.

Dont get the clamour to play a player who has played midfield all of his senior career at centre back.

9 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Chose wingers that side to allow Rothwell to cut in more. Armstrong was effective on either side last year.

Dont get the clamour to play a player who has played midfield all of his senior career at centre back.

Although to a certain extent i agree with you regarding Rodwell, Mowbray has brought him in to compete for a centre half spot.

Can't be bothered searching for the article but it was either on the Rovers website or the LET but Mowbray spoke about Rodwells injuries and career in general and he said playing at centre back would be less stress on his body and said he was brought in to add to our options at the back. 

I dont think its a clamour by people for him to play centre half they are just going off what Mowbray has said.

15 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

It's where he played for the under 23s the other night and going off the sounds from the camp, where he will be favours for the seniors. I suppose we have enough midfielders. We need cover in a position he has played in the past. Shur what age was Mulgrew when he switched to center half? 

15 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I personally don’t get the ignorance towards how he played his entire youth career as a Centreback and many times since, but that’s just me! 

Just now, Biz said:

I personally don’t get the ignorance towards how he played his entire youth career as a Centreback and many times since, but that’s just me! 

Interesting that Mowbray sees Rodders as a CB but Rodders has stated he can play in midfield too. He'll be a great asset if he's fit and committed to the cause. 

• J*B pinned this topic
Just now, islander200 said:

Although to a certain extent i agree with you regarding Rodwell, Mowbray has brought him in to compete for a centre half spot.

Can't be bothered searching for the article but it was either on the Rovers website or the LET but Mowbray spoke about Rodwells injuries and career in general and he said playing at centre back would be less stress on his body and said he was brought in to add to our options at the back. 

I dont think its a clamour by people for him to play centre half they are just going off what Mowbray has said.

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

It's where he played for the under 23s the other night and going off the sounds from the camp, where he will be favours for the seniors. I suppose we have enough midfielders. We need cover in a position he has played in the past. Shur what age was Mulgrew when he switched to center half? 

Just now, Biz said:

Firstly biz, I know that he did play in his youth career but, for the vast majority, he has played professional, senior football as a midfielder. He was playing as a midfielder to do everything that Mowbray has eulogised over, played for England, earned a massive transfer to Man City etc.  Thats where hes earnt his reputation.

I am not being ignorant to it, but to stick someone there at this stage of his career is a massive, massive risk in my opinion.

I totally get how that, in case of injuries etc, his versatility to have at least some understanding of that position could come in handy, but I am not a fan of signing midfielders to play as defenders. I also am unconvinced that he will do himself justice in that position.

And although that Mowbray has suggested that there is a chance of him playing there, I personally hope that he is played where he has impressed in the past. 

Sharpe in the LT:-

"Rovers face a long trip to Bournemouth in the cup on Tuesday, with Tony Mowbray expected to ring the changes.

The likes of Charlie Mulgrew, Elliott Bennett, Bradley Dack and Danny Graham are unlikely to travel, with Darragh Lenihan, one yellow card away from a suspension, is also unlikely to feature.

Corry Evans, and Harrison Reed who struggled with camp late on in the Stoke win, may also be added to that list"

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/16897033.stoke-city-2-blackburn-rovers-3-talking-points/?ref=mac

Was Reed mincing round the pitch like Elton John late on at the BET365? No wonder we got sloppy. 

Edited by blueboy3333
  • Like 3

I'd be looking at resting a few for this considering the tough run of games we have had. I wouldn't even bother taking Graham and Dack I'd let them stay back and rest for Saturday. I think Evans and Smallwood could also do with a break given the ground that they have covered in the last week. I will be also nice to see what some of the players on the edge of the first team have to offer. One person I really hope plays is Lewis Travis as I worry about his progress at the moment as he isn't even getting much game time, I can't help but thinking that he would have been better of going out on loan. 

Leutwiler

Travis          Downing                 Rodwell            Williams

Bennett                  Rothwell

Armstrong                   Palmer                            Conway

Brereton 

Subs:Raya, Bell, Lenihan, Nyambe, Smallwood, Reed, Nuttall

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Sarcasm or genuine hope for a loss?

Genuine hope. A tonking isn't great obviously, but a squad as light as ours can't seriously compete on more than 1 level. I reckon getting out these cups early - which we have no chance of winning - could be worth 10 points come the end of season.

8 minutes ago, J*B said:

Genuine hope. A tonking isn't great obviously, but a squad as light as ours can't seriously compete on more than 1 level. I reckon getting out these cups early - which we have no chance of winning - could be worth 10 points come the end of season.

But the side you named has made 6 changes and still looks fairly strong so it cant be that light. Thats without Travis, Downing and Davenport.

We could get a glamour tie in the next round. Or we could with a favourable draw get to the latter stages, which is hardly a massive burden on our squad to play 2 or 3 more games, if anything, it can be a chance to rotate and keep everyone ticking over.

So if its one one, last minute and you hear that weve scored would you genuinely feel dissapointed?

Its something I cant empathise with. Priortising the league, yes, rotating the squad, yes, totally get that and would do the same. But I still want Rovers to win, to be in the hat for the next round, and also for the fringe players to really give Mowbray a problem.

• Like 2

Just now, Sparks Rover said:

I wonder how many will go down 

Anyone willing to travel that distance on a Tuesday night to watch our second string in a Mickey Mouse cup game should be given a free season ticket for life. I imagine we’ll have about 200/300 there on the night. A mixture of those travelling from this neck of the woods and those Rovers who live south. No pressure on us it’s a good game to give Brereton 90 minutes up top and play the likes of Rodwell Conway Travis Downing etc. Bournemouth will make changes too so let’s see who’s second string comes out on top. Would be nice to go through and get an away trip to a Liverpool or a United, wouldn’t turn down the opportunity to get revenge on Burnley at Ewood after they beat us there last season either!

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

But the side you named has made 6 changes and still looks fairly strong so it cant be that light. Thats without Travis, Downing and Davenport.

We could get a glamour tie in the next round. Or we could with a favourable draw get to the latter stages, which is hardly a massive burden on our squad to play 2 or 3 more games, if anything, it can be a chance to rotate and keep everyone ticking over.

So if its one one, last minute and you hear that weve scored would you genuinely feel dissapointed?

Its something I cant empathise with. Priortising the league, yes, rotating the squad, yes, totally get that and would do the same. But I still want Rovers to win, to be in the hat for the next round, and also for the fringe players to really give Mowbray a problem.

I'm not saying it's the right attitude... but if I was the boss I wouldn't be upset with a close fought 2-1 loss. I'm from a generation where unfortunately I can't agree with the concept of a glamour tie, the idea of playing Liverpool's reserves means very little to me when I grew up watching us compete with their strongest sides.

• Like 1

One of those rare occasions when resting a few of our top players might even be the best plan of winning the game.

Hopefuly start with a front 4 of:

Rothwell  Palmer  Armstrong

Brereton.

Assume that we'll be looking to hit them on the break, and there are bags and bags of pace in that team.

• Like 1