BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

AFC Bournemouth v ROVERS

3 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Main positives are that we have plenty of spirit which we knew we had and its great to see.

Also we have attacking players that can hurt teams. Brereton is not a winger and I hope isnt played there, him and Armstrong should have been in opposite positions, we didnt need a 6m striker to play wide. Did well to get a penalty following a poor touch but his reaction afterwards between the foul and the award of the penalty was embarassing.

Raya seemed to make some good saves, one in particular was excellent.

Lenihan again giving away a penalty, and Williams with a moment of pure idiocy.

Game management is a massive, massive concern. All these late goals are not a good sign.

Firstly Armstrong had an excellent tonight up front according to 2 fans at the game via twitter. Rothwell was good enough. When Brereton scored in the 1st minute. Its shows the type of runs he makes and can finish. 

Game management? We were down to 10 men against a quality PL team

• Like 1

I don’t think the late goal today is down to lack of game management by the team, but down to a slip, and then an absolute brain fart moment, from Williams. That allows them the opportunity to throw the ball into the box right at the death, with everyone forward, and from there anything can happen. 

And I know, with hindsight, it’s easy to say that we shouldn’t have played the ball back to Williams there, but had we tried to cross the ball and lost it and then concede from them breaking on us, we’d all be saying that we should have been smarter and kept possession and ‘managed’ the game better - so no criticism from me for trying to do that, just a shame it didn’t work out. 

To be honest, I think tonight’s result is about the best we could have hoped for. Not a damaging defeat by a big margin, a terrific fightback and proof that we can mix it with better teams, but going out of a competition that we can’t win, and which takes its toll especially on a small squad, in a respectable way. It probably would have been better to go out on penalties than to a last minute goal, but ultimately have to say that I’m not sorry we’re out - and hopefully the performance in defeat will stand us in good stead for the rest of the season and maybe a push at the playoffs 

Edited by DaveyB
Grammatical error
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Firstly Armstrong had an excellent tonight up front according to 2 fans at the game via twitter. Rothwell was good enough. When Brereton scored in the 1st minute. Its shows the type of runs he makes and can finish. 

Game management? We were down to 10 men against a quality PL team

Neither of us know for sure, my point about game management was a general one (nearly blew a 3 nil lead on Saturday, blew a win v Villa and Ipswich in the last minute, conceded in the last minute after getting a red card from an attacking throw in) so I dont think you can deny that its a concern.

Never said Rothwell wasnt good enough but you dont know either way for sure. Neither do I. Point was more about Brereton, Forest fans said hes shite as a winger so we should play him central or not at all. We paid 6m for a striker so I want him to play his natural position. If hes been brought in to play wide we should have bought a winger.

Will you not be doing your usual pin the defeat onto Palmer?

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Neither of us know for sure, my point about game management was a general one (nearly blew a 3 nil lead on Saturday, blew a win v Villa and Ipswich in the last minute, conceded in the last minute after getting a red card from an attacking throw in) so I dont think you can deny that its a concern.

Never said Rothwell wasnt good enough but you dont know either way for sure. Neither do I. Point was more about Brereton, Forest fans said hes shite as a winger so we should play him central or not at all. We paid 6m for a striker so I want him to play his natural position. If hes been brought in to play wide we should have bought a winger.

Will you not be doing your usual pin the defeat onto Palmer?

Why not for sure? Ive asked 2 Rovers fans who was there. No reason to doubt their opinions. 

Villa goal, wall not listening to Raya, Ipswich goal fluke..

Am I concern? Nope. Tonight we were playing a PL team full of quality players. 

Tonight he played wide probably down to who we were playing. 

Not seen the goals as Im at work. 

6 hours ago, Neal said:

At least he has some height. We seem to go panic stations whenever teams throw it in our box. On the whole, we're a small team, we need some big bastards to come on for last 10 mins to see us through. 

Or on from the start. Definitely agree though; a big, nasty bugger at the back is definitely needed in January. We want a Samba type where his head is like a magnet for the ball.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Point was more about Brereton, Forest fans said hes shite as a winger so we should play him central or not at all. We paid 6m for a striker so I want him to play his natural position. If hes been brought in to play wide we should have bought a winger.

I assume we are paying Breretons wages whilst he's on loan and we've agreed a future fee of 6m with Forest and personal terms with the lad. I don't think the fee has been paid, its just an option. Either Rovers or Brereton can cancel if it doesn't work out.

I think TM is looking for him to learn from DG and become his long term replacement. 

Agree that it would seem more logical to play up top though he may get more game time if he can learn to play wide in 4-2-3-1 

9 minutes ago, Earlydoors said:

I assume we are paying Breretons wages whilst he's on loan and we've agreed a future fee of 6m with Forest and personal terms with the lad. I don't think the fee has been paid, its just an option. Either Rovers or Brereton can cancel if it doesn't work out.

I think TM is looking for him to learn from DG and become his long term replacement. 

Agree that it would seem more logical to play up top though he may get more game time if he can learn to play wide in 4-2-3-1 

The permanent transfer of Brereton is pretty much set in stone according to various sources. It will most likely be something silly like if he makes 3 league appearances then the permanent transfer will go through. Possibly if he suffers a serious long term injury it might be able to be cancelled though I don't know.

25 minutes ago, Earlydoors said:

Either Rovers or Brereton can cancel if it doesn't work out.

While no-one without insider knowledge can say for certain, I'm as confident as I can be that this isn't the case. The deal will become permanent in January.

As regards to Rovers being able to cancel it if he gets seriously injured - I very much doubt that is the case as well. I can't see Forest agreeing to that. If he gets injured while he's here, it's our problem.

9 hours ago, Tom said:

Some immediate reactions from that:

-The first goal is on Palmer, not a winger and shouldn’t play there again if he can’t do that part of the job. Nearly scored again a bit later from the same side.

-Some really sloppy play from Rothwell and Brereton after a great save from Raya 

- not sure it was a penalty but poor defending from Lenihan 

-nice to see Rodwell have a bit of a run at them

- Cracking goal from Conway

- Lovely penalty from Arma but he had 3 good chances he maybe should have done better with, the first one he could have played in Brereton

- Williams was idiotic and showed why although he’s done well in the last game or two he isn’t a centre half 

He isn't a left back either.

Just saw the highlights. WTF was Williams doing. Had loads of time with the ball at his feet and panicked. Balls crossed aimlessly into our box cause havoc. 

Armstrong looked to make himself a few chances. Dont mind him missing a few as long as he is creating. Didn't see Brereton in any of the clips...

The Bournemouth tv camera seems to have a massive cloudy blob right in the middle lol

• Like 2

Just watched the highlights. Looks like we'd " gone " mentally at the end. They had two really good chances at the end were we were nowhere attacking the ball.  We rode our luck then twice but you can't keep riding it. We just ambled out when the ball is cleared, no pressure on the ball, so their right back has bags of time to turn around and throw it back into the mixer. We survive that but we were obviously still  not at the races.The resulting corner is exactly were you want a corner to be,  nobody in blue and white gets anywhere near it.

I liked that bit were Rodwell ran the ball out and improvised a really nice pass under pressure. Little bit of class there.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, benhben said:

Just saw the highlights. WTF was Williams doing. Had loads of time with the ball at his feet and panicked. Balls crossed aimlessly into our box cause havoc. 

Armstrong looked to make himself a few chances. Dont mind him missing a few as long as he is creating. Didn't see Brereton in any of the clips...

The Bournemouth tv camera seems to have a massive cloudy blob right in the middle lol

Yeah I thought their players were using an " invisibility cloak " at one point !

• Like 2

There's a lot of nonsense being talked about 'game management' in reference to last night's game. William's messed up, it's as simple as that. Instead of passing it back to Raya or hoofing it down the pitch he decided to fanny around with it, fall over and then pick it up. I'm not sure I've ever seen anything so stupid. That's not a failure of 'game management', that's one player being an absolute clown.

On the plus side AA looked very sharp and his movement in behind looked good. Hopefully his performance against Derby was a one-off and that he is an option when DG is unfit or tired. 

Edited by blueboy3333
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Brereton is not a winger and I hope isnt played there, him and Armstrong should have been in opposite positions, we didnt need a 6m striker to play wide. Did well to get a penalty following a poor touch but his reaction afterwards between the foul and the award of the penalty was embarassing.

AA isn't a winger either.

Brereton can react how he likes when he's been hacked to the ground. He made sure he won the penalty = 'game management'.