BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

AFC Bournemouth v ROVERS

40 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

Didnt see the game but sounds like we showed our usual fight and then also showed our usual late game giveaway.

How did Rodwell play overall? A player in there that could force his way into our team?

I'd say so. I've been really impressed with the two outings he's made so far. If he keeps it up he really could be mulgrews successor

• Like 1

9 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Why not for sure? Ive asked 2 Rovers fans who was there. No reason to doubt their opinions. 

Villa goal, wall not listening to Raya, Ipswich goal fluke..

Am I concern? Nope. Tonight we were playing a PL team full of quality players. 

Tonight he played wide probably down to who we were playing. 

Not seen the goals as Im at work. 

The key is in the word opinion. Neither of us have seen the game.

You can give reasons for all the goals and why they went in individually but if you dont think that conceding late goals on a regular basis is of any concern then you are kidding yourself.

I have seen the highlights but my comments are in the main general observations and thoughts that I already had. Brereton is a striker. Palmer is naturally a number 10 and should play there when Dack is out. Id like to see Armstrong wide playing like last season. Rodwell I feel should be allowed to play in midfield and im glad he did.

That 2nd to last comment doesnt mean anything. 

1 hour ago, blueboy3333 said:

There's a lot of nonsense being talked about 'game management' in reference to last night's game. William's messed up, it's as simple as that. Instead of passing it back to Raya or hoofing it down the pitch he decided to fanny around with it, fall over and then pick it up. I'm not sure I've ever seen anything so stupid. That's not a failure of 'game management', that's one player being an absolute clown.

On the plus side AA looked very sharp and his movement in behind looked good. Hopefully his performance against Derby was a one-off and that he is an option when DG is unfit or tired. 

As an isolated incident yeah but I dont think its being overly negative or critical to suggest that it is of worry that we have conceded quite a few goals near the end of games.

At Stoke on Saturday there seemed an element of panic once they got back into the game. May be fitness issues but I would suggest that the main problem is a primarily mental or tactical one. We do have quite a young team especially in defensive areas. And obviously I dont know how to fix that sort of thing but we need to ensure we can see games out with regularity.

1 hour ago, blueboy3333 said:

AA isn't a winger either.

Brereton can react how he likes when he's been hacked to the ground. He made sure he won the penalty = 'game management'.

He sees himself as a striker but I dont think you can dismiss his ability as a winger. Last season he played wide and was superb from that role, it suited him down to the ground. This season he has played central with mixed results at best.

Brereton meanwhile is a striker who Forest fans seemed very insistent was not effective from a wide berth. I think not playing him in his natural position on his first start means that he cant really do himself justice. For me it makes no sense to shoehorn our 6m striker into an uncomfortable position on a rare occasion when our first choice striker is rested.

On Rodwell from Twitter :

"Nothing spectacular, but equally nothing to worry about. Looked composed on the ball, and made a few bursts forward. He's certainly another option, and he's an experienced head in the midfield if Evans gets injured. No worries of him being another Murphy/Etuhu... thankfully."

Some more from the same guy :

"Rothwell. Arguably the best outfield player tonight. Pressed high and forced them in to countless mistakes, and got us out of a lot of trouble.

Brereton. He needs a to check his runs, but he was a real danger tonight. Very promising.

Nyambe has one hell of an engine. Never stops up and down the touchline, and did well with a lack of cover.

Lenihan was superb tonight. Won almost everything in the air, and aside from conceding another penalty, he hardly put a foot wrong.

I don't think I've ever seen us concede 3 goals and come away saying our keeper was MOTM, but my word @daviidraya1 was magnificent. Made plenty of solid saves, including one unbelievable stop right at the end, albeit for Wilson to score at the death.

Absolutely superb!"
Edited by Swanson

After seeing brereton last night I never want to see him anywhere near the wing again. He looked like he was blowing out his arse after half an hour , maybe why Tony hasn't started him yet, and left nyambe exposed. He doesn't look sharp or match fit. He switched wings towards the end of the first half I can only assume so Tony could instruct him what to do. Positionally he was all over the place. Its early days but signs so far a not good. I'd like to see him in his natural position and hopefully see what the forest fans saw Because he certainly isn't a winger. He was very poor last night Imo.

Nymabe however just gets better and better. Another superb display from him and raya, bar the odd kick was superb. Rodwell looked class and can't knock anyone else as the effort and desire was unquestionable. Williams looks more comfortable at centre back and had a good game until his brain fart at the end, and tbf did the right thing after he cocked it up by handling it

Bad way to lose a game we fought hard to win. Never mind. That's life. 

Edited by Oldgregg86

4 minutes ago, Swanson said:

"Nothing spectacular, but equally nothing to worry about. Looked composed on the ball, and made a few bursts forward. He's certainly another option, and he's an experienced head in the midfield if Evans gets injured. No worries of him being another Murphy/Etuhu... thankfully."

Same person/family who told me about Armstrong having a good game

First time in a long time I feel the need to critisize the manager.

Why on earth are we dropping players so early in the season? And worse of all the reason given:

'We won't get back till 4am'!! They'll be tired!!

What about the fans Mowbray?

The 200 or so loyal fans that are making that 12hr round trip? 

They deserved better last night and were let down by the manager.

Not good enough.

20 minutes ago, Gav said:

Why on earth are we dropping players so early in the season? And worse of all the reason given:

Not good enough.

Im sure most footie fans grasp the concept of the early rounds of the Carabao cup whereby teams dont play full strength sides and dont until the latter stages of the competition.If half the first team had been wiped out with injury and suspensions last night there would have been uproar.

The 500 fantastic fans would have been well aware of this and still went and  got to  see us put in a great fighting performance..which as a fan thats what you want to see.

We ve had a great start to this season but hey ..lets keep raising that bar til its finally out of reach of this team then people can then come on here and and have a good moan!

Criticism where due by all means but come on..

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Gav said:

Not good enough.

Many of us who were there completely agreed with resting the players - indeed, we were surprised one or two more weren't given the night off.  Hugely enjoyable game though and a very encouraging performance by a number of fringe players.  My main disappointment was the performance of Brereton who looked tired all night!

Edited by Parsonblue
  • Like 4

19 minutes ago, Parsonblue said:

Many of us who were there completely agreed with resting the players - indeed, we were surprised one or two more were given the night off.  Hugely enjoyable game though and a very encouraging performance by a number of fringe players.  My main disappointment was the performance of Brereton who looked tired all night!

Sorry Parson but it's an absolute blight on modern day football that hurts the paying public.

The worse cases such as Cardiff away in the cup under **** will live long in the memory.

You play your best team, With a full strength side we'd have won last night, like Derby did at Utd.

We won this competition in 2002, one of the many highlights supporting the club...but we won't be winning it this year because the manager doesn't think it's important. 

Take nothing away from the players on show by the way, good performer by all accounts.

3 hours ago, Gav said:

Not good enough.

I fully expected and hoped that some players would be rested. I thought the performance of those that stepped up in their place was very positive, and we looked good going forward. We rode our luck and Raya was outstanding again to keep us in it  I haven't seen Mowbray's comments but not really bothered what he says to the Telewag. I didn't hear any criticism of him or the overall performance on our coach.  The players coach( whish was borrowed from Man City) actually pulled pulled onto the services while we were their and judging by the size of it, had beds on board.

Shame we went out due to a silly error but a lot of positives from the game.  

It’s an interesting debate. Resting half/the whole team used to bring howls of derision, it is now largely just accepted, even encouraged. Indeed a lot of fans look forward to a cup tie purely as a chance to see some emerging players.

The stakes are now so high in league football, a promotion or relegation can completely transform/ruin a club, so the chance to actually win something or even just have an enjoyable cup run is down everyone’s priority list.

It’s sad but it neatly sums up the modern game.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

The key is in the word opinion. Neither of us have seen the game.

You can give reasons for all the goals and why they went in individually but if you dont think that conceding late goals on a regular basis is of any concern then you are kidding yourself.

I have seen the highlights but my comments are in the main general observations and thoughts that I already had. Brereton is a striker. Palmer is naturally a number 10 and should play there when Dack is out. Id like to see Armstrong wide playing like last season. Rodwell I feel should be allowed to play in midfield and im glad he did.

That 2nd to last comment doesnt mean anything. 

As an isolated incident yeah but I dont think its being overly negative or critical to suggest that it is of worry that we have conceded quite a few goals near the end of games.

At Stoke on Saturday there seemed an element of panic once they got back into the game. 

The Rovers fans I quoted attend every game like some on here. 

I have already explained the late goals. Ipswich was lucky. Villa, the wall didnt listen to keeper. And last night we were down to 10 men and against quality PL team with 1st teamers on the pitch like Cook, Wilson and King. 

Ive seen the highlights this morning. Brereton was playing wide cos Mowbray didnt want to play 2 up front against a PL team. Armstrong how good he is up front last night. 

Palmer role in the team last night was a wide player. Thats his role in the team last night. Sadly he wont play 10 role with Dack in the team. And I wouldnt have played him in that role last night either. 

5 hours ago, Swanson said:

Some more from the same guy :

"Rothwell. Arguably the best outfield player tonight. Pressed high and forced them in to countless mistakes, and got us out of a lot of trouble.

Brereton. He needs a to check his runs, but he was a real danger tonight. Very promising.

Nyambe has one hell of an engine. Never stops up and down the touchline, and did well with a lack of cover.

Lenihan was superb tonight. Won almost everything in the air, and aside from conceding another penalty, he hardly put a foot wrong.

I don't think I've ever seen us concede 3 goals and come away saying our keeper was MOTM, but my word @daviidraya1 was magnificent. Made plenty of solid saves, including one unbelievable stop right at the end, albeit for Wilson to score at the death.

Absolutely superb!"

Same person who i posted that last night about Rothwell. 

All of the players that played yesterday can very easily fit into our first 11. I don't think we put out a second string team at all.

Granted, the game may have gone differently with Dack, Mulgrew & Graham but, with hindsight, you can't argue with the squad selected when we pushed a Premier League team (and a good one at that) as far as we did. To top it off we have now given Brereton/Rodwell a good run and boosted competition for those first 11 places.

Had we gone with players like Tomlinson, Nuttall, Travis, Leutweiler etc filling the squad there'd be substance to the argument that the manager doesn't take this cup seriously. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gav said:

We won this competition in 2002, one of the many highlights supporting the club...but we won't be winning it this year because the manager doesn't think it's important. 

Do you honestly believe that we had a chance of winning the competition this season, even if we played our first 11 in every round??

I’ll be honest and say I don’t. We potentially could have beaten Bournemouth, maybe even gone on a couple more rounds, but eventually we’d have drawn a Man City, a Liverpool, a Spurs etc and we’d have gone out - having played a number of extra games and possibly damaged our (already slim) chances of reaching the playoffs.

I don’t think it’s any surprise that Bristol City’s form tailed off from March onwards last season following the number of extra matches they played to reach the semifinals and get hammered by Man City. 

If I felt that we genuinely had a chance - say like Leicester, Bournemouth, Southampton - hell even the Dingles - then I’d be right there with you in being disappointed in the manager playing a weakened team - but I just don’t think that it applies in our situation 

10 minutes ago, DaveyB said:

Do you honestly believe that we had a chance of winning the competition this season, even if we played our first 11 in every round??

I’ll be honest and say I don’t. We potentially could have beaten Bournemouth, maybe even gone on a couple more rounds, but eventually we’d have drawn a Man City, a Liverpool, a Spurs etc and we’d have gone out - having played a number of extra games and possibly damaged our (already slim) chances of reaching the playoffs.

I don’t think it’s any surprise that Bristol City’s form tailed off from March onwards last season following the number of extra matches they played to reach the semifinals and get hammered by Man City. 

If I felt that we genuinely had a chance - say like Leicester, Bournemouth, Southampton - hell even the Dingles - then I’d be right there with you in being disappointed in the manager playing a weakened team - but I just don’t think that it applies in our situation 

I think thats the reality really. We would have to play at least 2 from the top 6,more than likely in the semi and final. There is a reason teams from the championship don't win the competition. Actually, even the league Cup, when was the last time a team outside the top division won it? 

Cup runs are nice and can be exciting, but you are better off getting knocked out early when you are a club in our position. We simply cannot focus on more than one front. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

Mowbray certainly did not play the eleven he'd chose in a clinch game but after this summer's transfer activity that was a dramatically stronger side than faced Lincoln City in he previous round. Many on here had been calling to see the players get game time who were out there last night. A big plus was Rodwell showing that he could become a player for us and will press for a starting place. With Davenport to get back to fitness, the competition for places between players who all have very valid claims to be regular starters is going to be tough.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

The Rovers fans I quoted attend every game like some on here. 

I have already explained the late goals. Ipswich was lucky. Villa, the wall didnt listen to keeper. And last night we were down to 10 men and against quality PL team with 1st teamers on the pitch like Cook, Wilson and King. 

Ive seen the highlights this morning. Brereton was playing wide cos Mowbray didnt want to play 2 up front against a PL team. Armstrong how good he is up front last night. 

Palmer role in the team last night was a wide player. Thats his role in the team last night. Sadly he wont play 10 role with Dack in the team. And I wouldnt have played him in that role last night either. 

Same person who i posted that last night about Rothwell. 

The reasons for the individual goals are inconsequential to the point I am making, its the time of the game that is the common denominator. Although last night we had 10 men for about 2 minutes. Please see the post of @roversfan2001 in the thread "why do we concede so many last minute goals" for a well researched point on how we are regularly susceptible to conceding late goals but dont score them. You may not see it as an issue and choose to sweep it under the carpet but others do. 

Why is our 6 million striker playing second fiddle out wide where he has never played effectively prior to joining the club? That said, the comments @Parsonblue are worrying in regards to him looking "tired all night."

I know it was his role last night, and it may be his only chance of starting berth. But you have to accept that, like Brereton, that isnt his position, and he wont be 100% effective there.

8 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

He sees himself as a striker but I dont think you can dismiss his ability as a winger. Last season he played wide and was superb from that role, it suited him down to the ground. This season he has played central with mixed results at best.

I can because AA isn't a winger as his performances this season have shown, which you have somehow ignored.  And to say he was 'superb' last season is a stretch. He scored goals in a poor league because he was given the freedom to roam inside off the line but he would go missing in games quite often. AA is a goalscorer pure and simple. If he scores from out wide all well and good but he isn't going to beat three men on the touchline and cross it in the box. He's not a winger.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

I can because AA isn't a winger as his performances this season have shown, which you have somehow ignored.  And to say he was 'superb' last season is a stretch. He scored goals in a poor league because he was given the freedom to roam inside off the line but he would go missing in games quite often. AA is a goalscorer pure and simple. If he scores from out wide all well and good but he isn't going to beat three men on the touchline and cross it in the box. He's not a winger.

And neither is brereton or Palmer

8 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I didn't accuse you of negativity, I just said that last night was not an example of poor 'game management'.

In general it probably is a worry to Mowbray but it seems to be the result of inexperience and not being too great at keeping the ball. That's where we're at as a team though and I imagine it will continue to happen. If results continue as they are though it would be churlish to complain.