BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers vs Forest

Just now, CD_93 said:

I think the big positive is that we've come out of this supposedly scary run of games pretty unscathed. Played 10, Lost 1 - arguably cheated out of more - not a bad start, is it?

Certainly isnt but still frustrating to know what could and should have been in some of those games. Last minute collapses, 4 penalties given away in the last how many games (although those last two were questionable) and not taking chances start to grind after a while. 

As you say though, we look like we can mix it with the top ten at least which many would have taken at the start of the season.

Two points dropped for me. We looked such a better proposition when Downing went off for Armstrong. We have the players to hurt teams yet we only give them 25-30 minutes at the back end of the game.

Not sure about the timing of the Rothwell change and I couldn’t believe that Nyambe waited until after the Downing change to go down. Wonder how long he is out for.

On the plus side, Rodwell looked pretty assured there at the back. Settled Lenihan down to an extent too.

4 penalties conceded in the last 3 games though shows just how difficult we are finding dealing with opposition strikers. We ain’t in League One any more Toto.

By the end of the season we need to be seeing a bit more of Reed and Rodwell in the centre with only one of Evans or Smallwood, not both.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

More disappointing points dropped from a winning position. I think we are a commanding centre back away from being a top 6 team. We just concede too many soft goals at the moment and that is what is stopping us being right up in the mix. Attacking wise we look quality at the moment but we are still a bit naïve when defending. If you'd have given me 13th position at the start of the season I would have taken it quite happily but having seen us and some of the teams in this league I'm a bit frustrated that we are only 13th as we could and perhaps should be up and around the top 3.

Ya, but we are only 5 points off 1st!

First pen, clear foul by Lenihan. Second pen, trip by Rodwell -no complaints from Rovers players.

Evans had a good game, plugging gaps where needed and was missed. Nyambe has a hamstring.

Need to start better, defend better and take chances. Would still have taken 13th at this stage of the season.

Edited by aletheia

• Backroom

Nyambe was signalling to Mowbray before the sub, he only went down after they didn’t notice him.

Thought Rodwell looked better than our centre half options and also out central midfield pairing.

Actually thought Dack was pretty poor today too slow in getting back from offside positions, man of the match for me was Reed.

I couldn't go today so can look at the result quite dispassionately. I would've taken that result beforehand and would've taken the number of points we have and our league position at this stage.

There's lots to work on, (e.g. conceding too many late goals), but the bigger picture looks very healthy indeed.

18 minutes ago, aletheia said:

First pen, clear foul by Lenihan. Second pen, trip by Rodwell -no complaints from Rovers players.

Evans had a good game, plugging gaps where needed and was missed. Nyambe has a hamstring.

Need to start better, defend better and take chances. Would still have taken 13th at this stage of the season.

You are of course joking.

Go and look at the gif in this thread, or the highlights on SkySports.

Blatant dive and many Rovers players in disbelief that the official has awarded a penalty rather than a yellow card for diving. 

As bad as a ref we've seen down at Ewood and the penalty decision.... well, really peed off. Ref will learn from our expense. Disgraceful, and I include the Forest player.

Was watching Armstrong's eyes as he crossed the ball and he never looked up. At first thought it was a poor cross over the top but it was good to see it run down the goal net.

Jack Rodwell needs more games. 

23 minutes ago, aletheia said:

Which game are you talking about?

The team we finished with....

Raya

Bennett.   Lenihan.   Rodwell.  Bell

Armstrong Smallwood. Reed. Rothwell

Dack

Graham

........looks a lot better on paper than the starting line-up.

In fact it looks the strongest team we have put out all season. 

If Mowbray can find the confidence to unleash us a little bit, this team can make the playoffs . I don't advocate dropping Mulgrew or Evans necessarily but it is always good to look at other options.

Certainly food for thought.

• Like 2

Yes today was due to a poor refereeing decision, but yet another day where we had large spells of dominance yet come away disappointed after throwing away a leading position. So I am not taken out of context, I am very happy with the team and the direction we are heading in, the effort etc, but the throwing away of points has to be a major, major concern. Weve got the quality to be more than competitive as we keep showing but we cant seem to get wins over the line often enough. Even today, I remember a Bennett throw in across his own goal, Downing caught on the ball, a Smallwood pass easily cut out in a silly area, all needlessly bringing on pressure.

Another big concern is 4 penalties conceded in a week, surely thats a record. Lenihan is far too rash and I presume that people are realising how important Mulgrew is. The whole defence individually had poor games I felt, the full backs quite a few times were beaten far too easily and Downing is nowhere near a Championship signing and I always felt his permanent signing was incredibly short-sighted. We are rueing not signing a centre back in the summer. I'd like to see Mulgrew back midweek, Williams in at left back and I cant imagine Nyambe will be fit anyway, but hes been very shaky in the last week or 2, so I'd put Armstrong in and reshuffle with Bennett or Reed in his place.

Graham for me was easily the man of the match, some of his flick ons and hold up were different class, how he didnt score I will never know. The 2 in the first half I felt like he did everything right and was so unlucky, the one just before his goal less so but his work soon after to tee up Dack was different class. His fitness was very impressive, it was Dack who looked shattered whereas Graham looked fine, hes proving everyone wrong on that one. Dack himself was unlucky not to get 1 or 2 more and the 2 link up so well. 

Also felt that the central 2 of Evans and Smallwood were good, as was Reed who was busy as always. Armstrong should start on Wednesday after his impact, although his goal was a total fluke and he bottled his one on one after a sublime Dack pass. 

Subs wise, Armstrong for Downing seemed a strange sub anyway as Nyambe is never a centre back, so him going down I felt was in the context of todays game, as much as I hope he is fine injury wise, a blessing in disguise as Rodwell was comfortable in the main, albeit once or twice showed big signs of ring rust. Grabban once nearly scored off the back of him and he was iffy aerially but hes never a centre back. Rothwell for Evans should have been knocked on the head once we got our noses in front as Evans would have helped to stem the tide.