BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers vs Forest

Disappointing result. Mowbray draws too many games, same fault led to relegation 2 years ago.

Lenihan is off form and needs dropping,, and Mulgrew's reversion to injury type makes the failure to sign a solid centre half last month mystifying. Downing isn't a solution at this level  

The die is cast for the season it appears. We're too good to get involved in the relegation struggle but not good enough to challenge for the top 6.

I too thought it was a cracking game - after our now customary slow start I thought we dominated the game from the 25 min mark, up until our second goal - and on another day we could have scored 4 or 5. We had 2 cleared off the line, 1 off the bar, plus a couple of decent saves from their keeper.

Unfortunately in the end, however, we just didn't have an answer for their lad, Madley, in the centre of the park - the one in the black shirt!!

We did seem to go off the boil as soon as we scored the second though - I don't know if that was a mental thing or was caused by the substitution. Personally I think he should have waited 5 mins before making the change as soon as the goal went in, however I suppose no-one can accuse him of negativity today since it was a positive substitution rather than one designed just to hold on to the lead.

Motm for me was Reed - I thought he had a cracking game once he'd grown into a bit - he looked a bit lost for 20 mins or so, but then he was everywhere harassing and tackling, but with quality on the ball too. Almost unheard of for a player to have both in our midfield of late!

Like I say - a very enjoyable game, bar the result. One of the fans coming off commented that it could have finished 5-5, but I don't think even that ref would have got away with giving them 5 penalties!!

• Like 5

Aaarrggghh so frustrating. Not seen the goals back but their 2nd pen looked a blatant dive.

Also cant believe amra wasted that golden chance to finish it by losing a yard or 2 looking at the linesman for no reason. Just get your head down and run ffs

• Backroom

Whilst it looks for sure like their guy dived the lack of reaction and the stumble from Rodwell makes me think there was contact of sorts.

No way the ref can see it and the lino didn’t give it from his position 

Today was a good game to watch with Rovers having their almost customary slow start and then pretty much dominating play for long periods until Forest equalised. Some decent chances were created but not taken but overall the resilience we are showing will stand us in good stead.

The first Forest penalty was clear I thought with Lenihan losing his player once again. Mowbray should really work him on the training ground for defensive set pieces. We should have had a penalty when Dack was impeded, it was arguably clearer than the earlier one. The equaliser from the spot was soft but the Forest player was caught by Rodwell. He made a meal of it but if you are making contact, however slight you are giving the referee a decision to make. After that we could quite easily have lost.

If we could start and finish games as good as we play in the middle hour we would be top of the Championship.

That's an utterly disgraceful decision from the ref for the 2nd pen. As Mogga pointed out in his interview afterwards the ref gave some very odd decisions form the off. Mogga was being polite, the ref was a blatant cheat. From that 1st Smallwood tackle where he won the ball and the ref gave a foul, to the exact same thing from a Forest player 2 minutes later where he let play continue you could tell he was a wrong 'un. He couldn't wait to give those penalties yet there was a blatant one on Dack where he was wrestled to the ground 2nd half that he was looking straight at and he waived it away. Absolute c0ck of a man, strutting round like he was on Strictly.   

AAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

That aside it was a terrific performance from Rovers once the abomination of a 1st half Def performance from Lenny and Downing was put behind us. Downing did a job for us in League 1 when we had to replace Ward but even at that standard he sometimes struggled. He's nowhere near good enough for the Champ. He can win headers but that's about it. He looked like a pub player at times today. 

Forest were good, they moved the ball quickly and they had some quality lefties in their midfield.  I thought Lolley was excellent and Colback good in the centre. Their first goal was a brilliant counter attack. I liked Karanka's Boro team and this lot seem a good outfit too. Top 6 at a minimum I'd guess. They were certainly a lot better than Villa and probably the best side to have come to Ewood so far this season. 

That said, we had them rattled. At 2-1 up we just needed that pass to AA to be a yard shorter and he was round Pantillimon (I actually thought AA bottled it and pulled out of the 50/50). Once we get up a head of steam and the crowd wakes up we can be hard to stop. How good is that to say after some of the shyte we've witnessed over the last 8 years!!

We are just relentlessly competitive and we grind teams down. 

Defensively we have to improve. I think Bell is an accident waiting to happen. Not convinced at all. Lenny is young and impulsive but he  holds that defence together at times. Nyambe was up against it with Lolley. Mogga wasn't happy he didn't signal he was injured at the same time he was taking Downing off. Nyambe got quite the lecture in the technical zone from Mogga after he was subbed!

I though Smallwood was excellent again. Reed was good but clearly isn't a wide man. Bennett's diagonals  to Graham and Dack 2nd half were excellent, as were Smallwoods. Evans was neat and tidy and continues to impress. Dack again was good but it's not even worth mentioning anymore. Even at 60% he'll score and his hold up play with his back to goal is Dalglish-esque. Graham worked like a trojan as usual. 

Rodders looked very assured at the back and his distribution was excellent for the most part. AA looked lively as did Rothwell.

We just desperately lack a winger (Chapman). In the 1st half especially we looked so one paced. The other side of that is would we be as resilient? 

Regardless, one point off the play-offs and 5 off the top after 10 games is a brilliant start.

We haven't looked out of our depths once this season at home.

Full credit to Mogga, his staff and his players. 

• Like 4

• Moderation Lead
1 hour ago, DE. said:

He should definitely be playing ahead of Downing. Have to assume fitness is the only reason he didn't. 

Did well today, I thought. Didn’t notice before now he was a fellow left-footer...

(in fairness he’s been injured for years).

Just now, aletheia said:

LOL. A rant against the 'obvious' injustice and 'cheating' of a ref and 4 mins later a retraction.

Focus on what you can control-better defending, fewer stupid mistakes, more clinical finishing, game management to kill teams off.

...and other clichés.

Mowbray was of the opinion that the ref couldn't have seen the 2nd penalty as there were a crowd of bodies in the way. We also had a stonewall penalty turned down. The ref had a big impact on the game today. Where were you sat?

I am very proud of my team today. We were the better team after 25 mins of the game. WE should have 2 or 3 nil up at half time. Graham and Dack have great chances. 

But second half we started getting our game into gear and took it up a couple of gears and we deserved the lead. Dack and Graham link up so well. 

Forest deserved credit for the 1st goal and the quickness of their counter attack was good. 

The ref decisions today was pathetic and how these refs have jobs I don't know. The FA need to improve the standard of referreing now. Its no one wonder we didn't have any ref at the world cup. Wake up and smell the coffee FA. Forest 2 pens weren't for me. First one, the player is already going down and second one was a dive clearly. But the ref couldn't wait to get them. Also how can ref even see their incident as they were 4 or 5 players in the way. But we should have a pen for a foul of Dack but the ref bottled it. But other decisions he made for either team was weird and so in consisted.

Reed MOTM for me. was everywhere today.   

1 hour ago, Parsonblue said:

Shocking decision for the second penalty.  The standard of refereeing in this country has become a joke.   Week after week these guys continue to make mistakes and yet nothing seems to be done to improve the standard.  As for the game I thought it was absolute cracking  entertainment.  It's a long time since I've enjoyed watching a Rovers team as much as I enjoy watching this one.  The spirit within the group is amazing.  Long may it continue - Mowbray has done a brilliant job at this club.

I agree Mowbray is doing a brilliant job and such a credit to him for rebuilding this club. Its a shame that the comment is made below by a fan who cannot resist a dig at anyone. 

This group of players are full of effort, pride, passion, desire and commitment with a never say die attitude.

agree of ref standards.  

1 hour ago, jim mk2 said:

Disappointing result. Mowbray draws too many games, same fault led to relegation 2 years ago.

Lenihan is off form and needs dropping,, and Mulgrew's reversion to injury type makes the failure to sign a solid centre half last month mystifying. Downing isn't a solution at this level  

The die is cast for the season it appears. We're too good to get involved in the relegation struggle but not good enough to challenge for the top 6.

embarrassing comment from you about Mowbray. 5 points of top place. 

3 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I agree Mowbray is doing a brilliant job and such a credit to him for rebuilding this club. Its a shame that the comment is made below by a fan who cannot resist a dig at anyone. 

This group of players are full of effort, pride, passion, desire and commitment with a never say die attitude.

agree of ref standards.  

embarrassing comment from you about Mowbray. 5 points of top place. 

There's no embarrassment. 3 points slipped away today through poor finishing. In other games poor defending has let us doewn. Good team spirit hides the fact we've drawn too many games that should have been won.  Outside of your blue and white bubble fans are allowed  to point out the obvious.  Mowbray's something of a draw expert for us at this level - as this season and 2 years ago show.  

Edited by jim mk2
  • Like 1