BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers vs Forest

6 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

There's no embarrassment. 3 points slipped away today through poor finishing. In other games poor defending has let us doewn. Good team spirit hides the fact we've drawn too many games that should have been won.  Outside of your blue and white bubble fans are allowed  to point out the obvious.  Mowbray's something of a draw expert for us at this level - as this season and 2 years ago show.  

Don't disagree that we often draw games that we should have won (although it is also true that we often seem to dig draws out of games where we probably ought to have lost too, so swings and roundabouts perhaps)

But - I'm not entirely sure it's fair to put all the blame on Mowbray for that - as you said today we lost points through poor finishing - that's not a tactical decision from Mowbray that has cost us - I'm fairly convinced that he hasn't sent them out and told them not to put the ball in the back of the net!

Edited by DaveyB
missed a word
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I agree Mowbray is doing a brilliant job and such a credit to him for rebuilding this club. Its a shame that the comment is made below by a fan who cannot resist a dig at anyone. 

This group of players are full of effort, pride, passion, desire and commitment with a never say die attitude.

agree of ref standards.  

embarrassing comment from you about Mowbray. 5 points of top place. 

How is it an embarrassing comment? We did draw lots of games last time in the Championship under Mowbray. And we are drawing a lot this time out. We are incredibly difficult to beat also arent winning very many ourselves.

To clarify, I think Mowbray has done a very good job, and I like the team we have, and I agree with all the characteristics that youve listed. Its a team that leaves everything on the pitch and the front 2 is a brilliant combination. 

Whilst that its a valid suggestion that the referee was poor today, youve peddled the theory a few times that refs are biased against us and its a load of rubbish. Refereeing decisions arent the sole reason that we have thrown away 2 points today, 2 against Villa, 2 against Ipswich etc. Whilst we are not going to be 100% efficient its such a shame that we do all the hard work to get ahead and then for whatever reason allow it to slip and to fulfill our undoubtes potential it has to stop.

You seem desperate to bury your head in the sand in regards to at times an inability to get wins over the line when we play well, hiding it behind referees and luck. Today maybe theres an element of truth but overall there is a problem there, for all of Mowbrays excellent work to date.

Great game today, proper entertainment which had everything save for a red card. I felt after a slow start we had a really good hour, shouldve taken more chances but then could've lost it near the end too. Of the penalties, I thought the 2nd was a clear dive tho the photo above tempers my anger, but thought also there was a push on Graham at the far post in the first half and a definite foul on Dack in the second. I felt the ref was inconsistent and gave all 50/50s in their favour.

Overall though it's a good point, especially if we follow it up on Weds with 3. 

7 - Raya. Not that busy, 1 great save, a few good claims, kicking slightly better than usual. Nothing he could do for either goal.

6 - Nyambe.  Weaker today than normal, got beat a bit too easily for their first goal I thought. Hope his injury not serious.

7 - Lenihan. Dodgy start n penalty seemed fair enough, but recovered composure well I thought.is still work in progress.

6 - Downing. Average performance, did some good things but definitely not worthy of another start I don't think. Need better backup in Jan as a priority.

5 - Bell. Suspect at back, not as good going forwards as was vaunted. Not taken his chances since Williams' injury.

7 - Bennet. Good industrious performance albeit w/o a match defining contribution. Love him. Grew into the game, just never gives up.

6 - Evans. Solid if unspectacular. Not quite at the heights of previous games. Was he injured? He was stretching a lot before he was subbed.

8 - Smallwood. Really good game, tackled well, tracked well, distributed well generally. Finding his feet hopefully.

8 - Reed. What a gem this lad seems, popped up everywhere, a real pocket rocket. Real good box to box performance, supported front & back well. MOTM.

7 - Dack. Quite quiet overall but had spells where he was just short of pulling off his magic. His understanding with Graham shone through again.

8 - Graham. Great game, strong & wily, doesn't let his head drop, a great role model for centre forward play. Deserved a goal, very unlucky in each half.

6 - Rodwell. Looked assured mainly, if slightly ring rusty at times. Looking forward to seeing more from him.

8 - Armstrong. Caused them lots of problems, lucky goal but made his own luck. Would've been 9 & MOTM if he'd been braver with the 1 on 1.

6 - Rothwell. Did ok but came in at a difficult time just before their equaliser. We never really recovered & he couldn't spark us. Needs a start IMO.

7 - Mowbray. Good team selection given quality of opposition, then looked to make positive changes but I feel he (or others on the bench) should've been more alive to Nyambe's injury, and I think Rothwell on for Evans just left us short of grit in the midfield. But it was an attacking change to extend the lead rather than the usual defensive one to hold a lead - he just can't win can he?!

3 points on Wednesday & I'll be a very happy bunny.  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

There’s a still after that photo where they are nowhere near each other. Pretty pathetic, and a sign of guilt, that Lolley felt the need to post that.

Football has gone to the dogs. It’s not a sport anymore it’s a soap opera.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

How is it an embarrassing comment? We did draw lots of games last time in the Championship under Mowbray. And we are drawing a lot this time out. We are incredibly difficult to beat also arent winning very many ourselves.

To clarify, I think Mowbray has done a very good job, and I like the team we have, and I agree with all the characteristics that youve listed. Its a team that leaves everything on the pitch and the front 2 is a brilliant combination. 

Whilst that its a valid suggestion that the referee was poor today, youve peddled the theory a few times that refs are biased against us and its a load of rubbish. Refereeing decisions arent the sole reason that we have thrown away 2 points today, 2 against Villa, 2 against Ipswich etc. Whilst we are not going to be 100% efficient its such a shame that we do all the hard work to get ahead and then for whatever reason allow it to slip and to fulfill our undoubtes potential it has to stop.

You seem desperate to bury your head in the sand in regards to at times an inability to get wins over the line when we play well, hiding it behind referees and luck. Today maybe theres an element of truth but overall there is a problem there, for all of Mowbrays excellent work to date.

Typical Jim. 

We lost 1 league game all season. And only 5 points off top for a promoted side but people pick holes in it. Instead of focusing on the positives. We have prove we can beat anyone in this league. 

Didnt I say ref was poor for both sides by making weird and in consisted decisions. I said the standard of refs in this country is embarrassing. 

Lolley clearly dive it. Pictures and Video confirm this. 

Without today ref pen decision for Forest we win. Same as Villa game. 

1 minute ago, Neal said:

Enjoyable, frustrating and disappointing day, was like watching a boxing match at times. They came at us early on, we found our composure and went at them. Great to watch. We are definitely capable of beating everyone in this league, a tough side to beat and have some quality too, I think a decent season could be in store for us if we can keep the injuries to a minimum and keep this work rate going. 

What have Forest spent all this money on exactly? They looked like any other side in this league, their keeper was time wasting in the first half at 0-0 and their attitude of going down all the time was poor. I look at their side and there aren't many players I'd swap for ours. Another side capable of finishing in a playoff place or bottom half. 

Looking at the chances we had, hitting the bar, two goal line clearances, Graham's shot, Dack's header, Armstrong's one on one we should have put it to bed. That said, after first 15 minutes I thought we would be in for a tough day but I should have learnt by now that our side is NEVER beaten, we will always work harder than the opposition. 

Looking at some individual performances...

Reed was absolutely class, if we have a chance to sign then we need to get it done ASAP. Touch, strength, vision, speed and he's a thought little f*cker.

Danny Graham is arguably the best centre forward in this league, so clever and strong. Centre halves always know they're in a game against him, must be a horrible job marking him.

Smallwood was good, tackled and passed well, maybe his best performance so far this season.

Some other good performances too and i thought Rodwell did well also. Won everything in the air, couple of nice passes too, still looks like he needs to find his feet still (obviously) but gave us a physical presence. 

Seen a few daring to lay the blame of too many draws at Mowbray's feet... Come on, individual errors and bad refereeing have cost us points. There's little he could have done if the ref is going to award a dodgy penalty at one end and deny us more of a penalty at the other. 

Proud of this group of players, disappointed with the result. 

TMBWA

great post and probably post of the day on here. 

6 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Typical Jim. 

We lost 1 league game all season. And only 5 points off top for a promoted side but people pick holes in it. Instead of focusing on the positives. We have prove we can beat anyone in this league. 

Didnt I say ref was poor for both sides by making weird and in consisted decisions. I said the standard of refs in this country is embarrassing. 

No one anywhere is doubting the fact, or reluctant to mention the fact, that the manager is doing a great job, that the team is young, improving, full of fight and battling qualities. Its also competitive in terms of quality. That doesnt mean that its perfect, nor will it ever be.

Today I am not on my own in being both proud again of the team, and again disappointed that we didnt win as we should have done, a feeling that has happened a few times this season. Im also not naive enough to put it down solely to referees or bad luck. I do think we can feel hard done by today in terms of the referee, not against Villa as previously discussed. That said, the fact that we have thrown points away a few times already this season has to be a point of concern. Just as the fact that we have been more than competitive in the vast majority of games is a point of pride. We have only lost 1 in 10, which again is a point of big promise. That said, of the 9 games we have avoided defeat in, we have only managed to win 3 of them, and only 1 at home out of 5, again that is something that we need to and I am sure Mowbray and the players are looking at improving. Its not "picking holes" to say that.

We have prove we can beat anyone in this league.  - we have the ability but thats the point he is making, we dont win often enough considering the chances we have.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

No one anywhere is doubting the fact, or reluctant to mention the fact, that the manager is doing a great job, that the team is young, improving, full of fight and battling qualities. Its also competitive in terms of quality. That doesnt mean that its perfect, nor will it ever be.

Today I am not on my own in being both proud again of the team, and again disappointed that we didnt win as we should have done, a feeling that has happened a few times this season. Im also not naive enough to put it down solely to referees or bad luck. I do think we can feel hard done by today in terms of the referee, not against Villa as previously discussed. That said, the fact that we have thrown points away a few times already this season has to be a point of concern. Just as the fact that we have been more than competitive in the vast majority of games is a point of pride. We have only lost 1 in 10, which again is a point of big promise. That said, of the 9 games we have avoided defeat in, we have only managed to win 3 of them, and only 1 at home out of 5, again that is something that we need to and I am sure Mowbray and the players are looking at improving. Its not "picking holes" to say that.

We have prove we can beat anyone in this league.  - we have the ability but thats the point he is making, we dont win often enough considering the chances we have.

The team we currently have remind me so much of the Mark Hughes squad here during his team. 

The ref gave them a soft Pen, if he hadn't we don't know whether Forest would have scored again. But today they got 2 very soft penalties. The ref against Villa had a soft spot for the poor man Bradley Dack Jack Grealish. He got everything. 

The huge thing for me, is we aren't going down this season and I feel we will be top 10 this season and make a challenge for top 6. I think we are one of the best squad in this league if not the best in terms of spirit, work rate, toughness and never say attitude. 

Edited by chaddyrovers

56 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Typical Jim. 

More like you have proven you can draw with anyone in this league

7 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

The team we currently have remind me so much of the Mark Hughes squad here during his team. 

The ref gave them a soft Pen, if he hadn't we don't know whether Forest would have scored again. But today they got 2 very soft penalties. The ref against Villa had a soft spot for the poor man Bradley Dack Jack Grealish. He got everything. 

The huge thing for me, is we aren't going down this season and I feel we will be top 10 this season and make a challenge for top 6. I think we are one of the best squad in this league if not the best in terms of spirit, work rate, toughness and never say attitude. 

Huh? 

"The ref against Villa had a soft spot for the poor man Bradley Dack Jack Grealish. He got everything."

Can you please speak English? 

4 hours ago, Colt Seavers said:

The team we finished with....

Raya

Bennett.   Lenihan.   Rodwell.  Bell

Armstrong Smallwood. Reed. Rothwell

Dack

Graham

........looks a lot better on paper than the starting line-up.

In fact it looks the strongest team we have put out all season. 

If Mowbray can find the confidence to unleash us a little bit, this team can make the playoffs . I don't advocate dropping Mulgrew or Evans necessarily but it is always good to look at other options.

Certainly food for thought.

Maybe move Lenihan to central mid-field where his fouls will be outside the penalty area. We will never drop a fit Mulgrew so pair him with Rodwell and drop Smallwood?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Parsonblue said:

Shocking decision for the second penalty.  The standard of refereeing in this country has become a joke.   Week after week these guys continue to make mistakes and yet nothing seems to be done to improve the standard.  As for the game I thought it was absolute cracking  entertainment.  It's a long time since I've enjoyed watching a Rovers team as much as I enjoy watching this one.  The spirit within the group is amazing.  Long may it continue - Mowbray has done a brilliant job at this club.

We should have VAR. Irritating it might be but it prevents an injustice like this one.

Jammy 2nd penalty for Forest cost us 2 more points in the end, however we were a tad fortunate not to concede more in the final flurry by Forest.  If offered a point at the start I would have taken it, however we are drawing too many matches at home at the moment.  Hopefully we can snatch a 4 to 6 points over the next two games to head into the international break in good form.  Reaction from Mowbray, 2 x Forest fans and more.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

The first penalty was stone wall, was incredibly clumsy by someone whose conceded 3 penalties in a week. We should be questioning why hes conceding silly penalties rather than blaming refs.

The second however I agree was very soft.

To challenge for the top 6 or even top 10 we will need to be more ruthless when we lead rather than throwing points away, turning potential wins into draws. Thats not "picking holes."

25 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

The first penalty was stone wall, was incredibly clumsy by someone whose conceded 3 penalties in a week. We should be questioning why hes conceding silly penalties rather than blaming refs.

The second however I agree was very soft.

To challenge for the top 6 or even top 10 we will need to be more ruthless when we lead rather than throwing points away, turning potential wins into draws. Thats not "picking holes."

The 1st one isnt a stone wall. Very soft. Player going down before any touch. Very soft. Mowbray comments back up my point. But if thats a penalty why isnt Dack second half? Like I said before far too many inconsistency again

We will get 70 points if we continue our form. Thats rought 6th to 8th place imo. 

Edited by chaddyrovers

4 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

The 1st one isnt a stone wall. Very soft. Player going down before any touch. Very soft. Mowbray comments back up my point. But if thats a penalty why isnt Dack second half? Like I said before far too many inconsistency again

We will get 70 points if we continue our form. Thats rought 6th to 8th place imo. 

First one a definite penalty. Second one wasnt I agree. Dack looked quite soft but would like to see it back. Overall, can feel hard done by today.

Do you agree that we need to stop losing points from winning positions so often? 

And was an accident. Removed.

3 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Seen a few daring to lay the blame of too many draws at Mowbray's feet... Come on, individual errors and bad refereeing have cost us points. There's little he could have done if the ref is going to award a dodgy penalty at one end and deny us more of a penalty at the other. 

'Daring to blame'?. Don't be silly. In reality the fact was being stated that we have now drawn 4 out of our five home games (and the majority of Championship games since Mogga took over) . If you think that's just down to refs always having it in for us or the fact the opposition don't also make individual errors then that's fine. I think it's more to do with how we set up at home. If we set up differently and got more men forward we may have lost every game. Or we may have won a couple more. Who knows?

Mowbray is pragmatic and sets out to be solid and stay in the game. He was the same in League 1. He doesn't set out to steamroller the opposition by getting a lot of men forward. Forest 1st goal today was a prime example of why he does that. We left a few gaps after one of the rare times we committed men forward and lost our shape and they went from one end to the other and scored a brilliant counter-attacking goal. Another reason why he won't be dropping Smallwood and Evans any time soon is because they operate to try and stop those counter-attacks happening. (yours and others giddy calls for Rothwell to play in the middle just because he looks ok with the ball at his feet won't be heard for quite a while yet I'd imagine barring injury or fatigue)

So, yeah, the 'blame' can be laid at Mowbray's feet because he sets the team up in a certain way. Today we had 5 midfielders and only 1 (Dack) ever got beyond their defence. We don't have flying wingers either, we are just very solid and compact. I happen to think his approach is spot on in this division with the players we have. If we got more players forward we'd be exposing our defence which is far from solid. However, this approach will always lead to tight matches, hence the draws. 

I thought all this was fairly obvious to anyone who has watched us more than a few times at home. 

Edited by blueboy3333
  • Like 2