BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

An Assessment of Player Performance v Bournemouth

The feed was so poor, foggy and continually frozen and there was no commentary...…………...I nearly gave up - but I wanted to see how the new boys did! 

An assessment of player performance v Bournemouth 

Each player was judged on the following criteria:

Instance of excellent play                                     *

Instance of decent/good play                              *

Instance of disappointing/poor play                   *

Instance of terrible play                                         *                                                       E&OE

Ratings

Raya                   ****          ******                                           *

Nyambe                               *******                                          *****                 *

Lenihan              *               **************                            ***                     *

Williams             ***          **************                            *****                  **

Bell                                       ********                                         *********         *                         

Rodwell(59)          *              ******                                              **                        *

Rothwell                   *              **************                           ****

Conway                ****       ***********                                  **                       

Palmer(64)             *             ****************                         ****                   **

Armstrong           **           ******                                               *****                 **             

Brereton(82)               *                      *******                                             ****                   *

Reed(59)                                *                                                           ****                  

Butterworth(64)                                                                                ***      

Travis(82)                               **                                                         *           

Highlights and Lowlights

(A justification for the main ratings above)

0.       Palmer holds off a couple of defenders and sends Armstrong down the wing with a nice pass. Armstrong lays on a beautiful ball behind the defence for Brereton who shows great composure to slide the ball past the out-rushing goalie. Offside! Just!

1.       Great harassing by Conway wins the ball and he feeds Brereton who slips the ball to Armstrong who squares to Rothwell but he tries to do too much and the ball is lost. Rodwell struggles a bit as he tries to keep pace with Defoe.

2.       Bell stumbles as he tries to tackle near the halfway line. The wing is open and Bournemouth flood forward. The ball comes into the box, Mousset is blocked by a typically brave Lenihan challenge…..he has another go but misses the ball completely….put off by Nyambe throwing himself in front of the ball I think! Bell miskicks……it’s the goalmouth panic we’re coming to expect! Eventually Rodwell becomes the first guy to get a decent contact on the ball since this paragraph started.

4.       Bournemouth showing neat football as we can’t get near the ball……until Williams comes in with a robust sliding challenge in the box to put a stop to the fancywork.

6.       Palmer carries the ball through midfield and feeds Armstrong on the wing. His cross is deflected and the goalie palms it straight to Brereton 1m out in front of an open net. He does a funny jump and somehow fails to score!

7.       Brereton wins the ball well and the ball comes to Rodwell in our own box. He hesitates and is easily dispossessed by Ibe. More scary Bournemouth inter-passing before Williams and Lehihan clear up.

8.       More fancy stuff………..Bell is nowhere near his winger but eventually manages to deflect his shot. Tipped over by Raya. From the corner, Williams is outjumped but Raya is well-positioned to catch the header.

11.   Lenihan breaks up an attack and Williams picks up the ball and drives forward into the Bournemouth half before laying off nicely to Brereton.

Excellent chase back to win the ball by Rothwell.

12.   Excellent long ball from Williams down the wing to Armstrong. Some nice one touch stuff from Rovers now……..until Nyambe passes to the invisible man on the wing! Next comes the first goal. Most seem to blame Palmer for not tracking back but I’m not so sure we can put all the blame on him. Rodwell looks lethargic I think, Williams ends up marking no one. Anyway, there’s no one to stop Stanislas as the ball comes in and he is unmarked in the centre of the box.

15.   Williams’ long pass is intercepted, then he sells himself with a poor tackle attempt. Palmer is completely done by Ibe and the cross comes in and Lenihan makes a goal-saving tackle 1m out.

24.   Bell wins the ball and we get some good one touch stuff again from Rovers on the edge of their box but we can’t get a shot in. We are pinging the ball around impressively but can’t get in the box itself.

27.   Rothwell drives forward but is dispossessed. Here they come! Williams and Lenihan clear up.

Palmer wins the ball well and Rothwell sends a lovely ball down the wing to Armstrong. He runs into the box. Brereton screams for it as he arrives in the box but Armstrong goes it alone against 2 defenders and his shot is deflected into the side netting. A bit disappointing. Rothwell’s corner comes in, floats over everyone and falls at Lenihan’s feet 1m out! Unfortunately the ball bounces harmlessly off his leg into the goalie's arms.

32.   I was just telling myself how well Palmer is playing when he is done comprehensively on the wing. The cross comes in and Raya makes a fantastic save from a Defoe header. Nyambe and Rothwell tidy up.

38.   Exactly as in the Stoke game, Nyambe is taken to the line and rounded by the winger. Last time Crouch headed the cross against Raya. This time Raya spreads himself brilliantly and saves Defoe’s point blank effort.

47.   Rodwell drives forward and slides a lovely ball through to Armstrong who pushes into the box. His shot is across the face of goal. Disappointing finish.

50.   Lovely work by Palmer to feed Bell on the wing but his cross is poor.

53.   Very nice one-touch from Rovers all over the park but it finishes with one too many fancy flicks from Palmer!

56.   This time it’s Lenihan who is taken to the touchline and rounded, he brings the man down. PENALTY……soft one! Ibe sends Raya the wrong way.

58.   Palmer heads on a long ball and Armstrong gathers well. It comes to Reed who curls one just past the right post.

61.   Reed is beaten too easily. The defence is all at sea. Fortunately Bournemouth make a hash of a really good situation.

62.   Brilliant, Conway robs Lerma and runs forward to unleash a great shot from just outside the box. Great goal for his 500th appearance!

68.   A couple of bits of sloppiness from Armstrong when in good positions in the box in the last couple of minutes.

70.   Good move. Out from the back, up to Rothwell to Brereton to Conway to Armstrong  in the box but his shot is weak and easily saved. A bit of ping pong before the ball     goes to Brereton who doesn’t control it fully but hes clattered anyway and it’s another penalty! Armstrong scores off the post.

81.   Good through ball from Conway to Armstrong in the box but he fails to control it!

82.   Rothwell drives forward into the box. His attempted curler is blocked.

92.   Williams, who has been great all night has a nightmare moment. As last defender (about 40m out) he slips and for some reason picks up the ball. Sent off!

Lenihan heads out the free kick but not far enough and Bell is slow, the ball is crossed back and is headed against the bar. Raya saves the rebound brilliantly at                      point blank range again.

93.  It’s a corner and Nyambe seems to be marking Wilson but in all fairness about 6 or 7 go up together, Wilson gets there first and deflects the ball past Raya.

Edited by tonyoz
  • Like 3

I-ve been having trouble formatting the **** . I do it all in "Word" normally …..and it all looks perfect on my PC. I then copy to BRFCS and the text looks ok but the * signs don't line up perfectly. So I dabble a bit to line things up.

Then I look for any follow up comments on my ipad and usually notice that the formatting is no longer perfect...……...but not too bad.

BUT last night I looked on my wife's iPhone...…………….and the formatting was embarrassingly awful! I decided to see what I could do. Any comments/advice/feedback from those guys who are interested in this stuff will be greatly appreciated!

Let's try a couple of alternatives for the Bournemouth game.

ONE ……….the formatting doesn't have to be perfect really:

Ratings

Raya                   **********

Nyambe            *************

Lenihan             *******************

Williams            ************************

Bell                    ******************              

Rodwell(59)        **********

Rothwell                *******************

Conway             *****************                

Palmer(64)         ********************* **

Armstrong        ***************       

Brereton(82)         **************

Reed(59)              *****                

Butterw’th(64)      ***       

Travis(82)             ***       

TWO

A nett positive or negative contribution for an individual player could be obtained by simplifying ONE above,

One * would be cancelled by one *. I mean his one excellent contribution would be cancelled out by one terrible contribution. Similarly, one poor effort * could be cancelled out by a subsequent "good" contribution * .

This is what it would look like for the Bournemouth game (nice to see they are all positive overall with one exception!):

Ratings

Raya                   ********

Nyambe            ***

Lenihan             ***********

Williams            **********

Bell                    **              

Rodwell(59)        ****

Rothwell                ***********

Conway             *************                 

Palmer(64)         *************

Armstrong       *      

Brereton(82)         ****

Reed(59)              ***                

Butterw’th(64)      ***       

Travis(82)             *

THREE     

Another variation (Bournemouth again):

Ratings

Raya                                                                **********

Nyambe                                                             *************

Lenihan                                             *******************

Williams                                       ************************

Bell                                                                    ******************                   

Rodwell(59)                                                            ****** ***

Rothwell                                                                     *******************

Conway                                              *****************                        

Palmer(64)                                       ***********************

Armstrong                                                       ******** *******             

Brereton(82)                                                                           ********* *****

Reed(59)                                                                            * ****                    

Butterw’th(64)                                                                                                              ***        

Travis(82)                                                                         ***             

Hmmmm. That one doesn't behave well either!

1 hour ago, Tom said:

I like the first 

it would also be interesting to see it like the first but in order of them happening.

Oh? That’s how i record them.......chronological order.......but aggregate them for posting. My thinking was that it would be easier to absorb at a glance. Then i do the chronological bit via the text commentary. Thanks  I’ll have a lttle think.

On Fri Sep 28 2018 at 15:04, tonyoz said:

Oh? That’s how i record them.......chronological order.......but aggregate them for posting. My thinking was that it would be easier to absorb at a glance. Then i do the chronological bit via the text commentary. Thanks  I’ll have a lttle think.

I wouldn't want to see them in order unless it was in addition to the aggregate. Your thinking is right - it is easier to absorb.