BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Attendances

Neal

Can’t find the post that said we waste a lot of our ticket promotions by choosing games with low interest. A good example was those ‘bring a mate’ games last season. 

One was a winter Monday night against Bury live on Sky - ergo little take up.

There will be little, if any increase in the home areas against Leeds due to KO, red button, pricing etc. So why not make it one of the ‘local promotion’ games? You can still rip off the Leeds fans, but actually make it cheap for your own, a game floating fans would actually quite fancy. Big crowd and atmosphere, get folk back in the tent. 

Or just keep charging £30 in the Jack Walker.

From the EFL website:

Clubs are required to make any discounts or special promotions (in each case for one match only) available on a similar basis to visiting supporters, unless such matches are designated as ‘local promotions’. Local promotions are permitted up to four times throughout the season as per EFL regulations.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 2

On 09/10/2018 at 19:42, blueboy3333 said:

The guy telling everyone to boycott last year is now trying to own the discussion on how to raise attendances. Beyond parody.

He didn't actually say Neal had made any suggestions. Just pointed him to this thread where we all, season ticket holders, occasional attenders, non attenders, lapsed St holders, disgruntled at being moved from stand without consultation fans, never miss a match fans and any other group you can think of, have had our say.

1 hour ago, gumboots said:

He didn't actually say Neal had made any suggestions. Just pointed him to this thread where we all, season ticket holders, occasional attenders, non attenders, lapsed St holders, disgruntled at being moved from stand without consultation fans, never miss a match fans and any other group you can think of, have had our say.

I'd have another look at MattyBlue's post and take it from there. 

• Moderation Lead
On 09/10/2018 at 19:42, blueboy3333 said:

The guy telling everyone to boycott last year is now trying to own the discussion on how to raise attendances. Beyond parody.

Surely though, if he'd changed his stance on boycotting as you would have ultimately hoped he would have done at the time, you'd then be grateful for him joining the effort in helping to boost attendances?

• Like 3

Just now, K-Hod said:

Surely though, if he'd changed his stance on boycotting as you would have ultimately hoped he would have done at the time, you'd then be grateful for him joining the effort in helping to boost attendances?

My point was he spent all last season going on about his 'principles' and the fact he hadn't been shafted by Venky's like the rest of us that still turned up to support the club (how very insulting & patronising) and then as soon as there was a promotion party he was back. He then starts this thread (even though the discussion was already happening elsewhere) with a long rant justifying his return …. then contacts Rich Sharpe to tell him about the thread he started on here so he can be involved in the article on increasing attendances that Sharpe is doing. It's quite hilarious. And shameless. 

If you're going to insult people for doing something, don't do the same thing months later. 

3 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

My point was he spent all last season going on about his 'principles' and the fact he hadn't been shafted by Venky's like the rest of us that still turned up to support the club (how very insulting & patronising) and then as soon as there was a promotion party he was back. He then starts this thread (even though the discussion was already happening elsewhere) with a long rant justifying his return …. then contacts Rich Sharpe to tell him about the thread he started on here so he can be involved in the article on increasing attendances that Sharpe is doing. It's quite hilarious. And shameless. 

If you're going to insult people for doing something, don't do the same thing months later. 

Personally I'm quite happy he's now able to identify with the club again regardless of his attitude towards the club before Mowbray came. 

If you'd like though I'm sure Neal can ask Sharpe to let you be involved in the article too? If that's what you want..

3 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

I don't recall him ever insulting posters?

We all boycott for different reasons, you hated the football under Coyle and that was your reason, some would say that's not really an excuse, support yer club!

I packed in under king rat, otherwise I'd have lost my liberty at some point, some would say that's not an excuse either, support yer club.

But Neal gave up for the reasons he's given and spent his time protesting and trying to bring attention to our plight, Bpool's and cr@p owners in general, which is a damn site more than most have ever done.

He's now back and enjoying his football and for one don't have the slightest issue with that, because he's like the rest of us, Rovers through and through. 

• Like 3

Waggott on our crowds:

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/16977667.rovers-chief-executive-discusses-ewood-park-crowds/?ref=mac

Sounds quite a petulant interview to me, he has no actual ideas to improve numbers from what I can see, just hoping that this ‘connection with the players’ will simply bring them back. We’ve lost 10,000 season ticket holders these past years, enormous numbers to shed for a club of our size.

’Does the club have a historical big support? I dont know’

Well how about you find out, it may give you a clue. As tomphil has said before, he just doesn’t get that we have a small, largely non affluent catchment area in the most competitive area in the country for professional clubs. John Williams got it, seems like this fella doesn’t.

Poor stuff.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 5

6 hours ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Personally I'm quite happy he's now able to identify with the club again regardless of his attitude towards the club before Mowbray came. 

If you'd like though I'm sure Neal can ask Sharpe to let you be involved in the article too? If that's what you want..

I'm not that desperate but cheers anyway.

6 hours ago, Gav said:

you hated the football under Coyle and that was your reason

I had a season ticket. Don't let facts get in the way. I didn't get on my high horse either and patronise and insult the people still going. That's the difference. Calling himself principled and others mugs looks massively hypocritical now considering we have the same owners. 

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

Waggott on our crowds:

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/16977667.rovers-chief-executive-discusses-ewood-park-crowds/?ref=mac

Sounds quite a petulant interview to me, he has no actual ideas to improve numbers from what I can see, just hoping that this ‘connection with the players’ will simply bring them back. We’ve lost 10,000 season ticket holders these past years, enormous numbers to shed for a club of our size.

Well how about you find out, it may give you a clue. As tomphil has said before, he just doesn’t get that we have a small, largely non affluent catchment area in the most competitive area in the country for professional clubs. John Williams got it, seems like this fella doesn’t.

Poor stuff.

It's passing the buck he can still say to the owners i'm doing my bit i've increased income ( by increasing prices and focusing on away fans ) but the home fans just won't turn up.

Arse covering might be another term for it.

Yeah we are all a bit disappointed but i thought thered be a thousand more regulars than there is maybe not these mythical numbers he seems to be expecting. 

2 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Waggott on our crowds:

Poor stuff.

Poor indeed. No mention of the elephant in the room - him arriving at the club and immediately deciding to impose a £50 price increase in all areas.

He's quick to point out that Leeds are bringing 7,500 but then doesn't raise that the club's agreement or willingness to see kick off brought forward by 3 hours might have some sort of effect on the home crowd.

I'm getting the distinct impression it isn't his remit to grow crowds. It's his remit to grow income and reduce losses and if that works with more bodies in the building great, but the priority is more cash and that means bumping prices up for those who do turn up and making it as easy as possible for large away followings. 

Shame but he made his position quite clear in the summer with the double whammy of a 17% increase in cost and closing a home stand on the back of promotion. 

• Like 3

Got to also say that this isn't something limited to Rovers. Wigan's crowds are similar or possibly lower than they were last season in League One. Bolton's and Preston's are similar or lower than they were in League One. 

Clubs need to look at the bigger picture - stop taking fans for granted and realise that those decisions made on the annual ride out to Portugal all expense paid trips might, just might, have an effect down the line e.g. Ifollow and selling out to Sky Sports - enabling fans to sit at home and watch without the need to travel - all for a lower price than it is to buy a match ticket.

Just now, JHRover said:

I'm getting the distinct impression it isn't his remit to grow crowds. It's his remit to grow income and reduce losses and if that works with more bodies in the building great, but the priority is more cash and that means bumping prices up for those who do turn up and making it as easy as possible for large away followings. 

Exactly this. 

I'm not concerned about our crowds at this point. They've risen over the last 2 years, slightly, and i would expect them to slowly rise further as the season progresses if we continue with positive momentum around the club. If the club makes more of an effort then they will rise further, but that would require them to put more effort in than they are at present.

My only worry is that Mowbray and possibly Waggot have sold their project to Venkys on the basis that it is making the fans happy and that if the fans are happy we'll see much bigger gates. They both seem to be under the deluded impression that we'd be getting 5 or 10 thousand a week more on than we're getting. I wonder if they've gone to India with this pie in the sky expectation and the owners expect similar and will be disappointed if it doesn't happen? Then again they might not bat an eyelid.

Edited by JHRover
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

I had a season ticket. Don't let facts get in the way. I didn't get on my high horse either and patronise and insult the people still going. That's the difference. Calling himself principled and others mugs looks massively hypocritical now considering we have the same owners. 

I never read any comments like that to be honest, he was always objective and fought his battle by marching with others which deserves respect.

3 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Waggott on our crowds:

Poor stuff.

Waggot put himself firmly in '@#/? to the fans' column when he closed the Darwen End and moved those season ticket holders  without any consultation.

Thats no way to treat your own supporters, we maybe a club that's hit on hard times, but the fans are used to being treated with respect and watching football at the highest level, maybe Waggot needs to up his game in that respect.

But I'm not worried personally about our support, it's in good shape as far as I'm concerned. 

There’s nothing major we can do about it now, as I’ve said before, season ticket holders make up the vast majority of our support and he messed that up in the summer.

I can only hope he’s a bit more innovative next summer, though I won’t hold my breath.

To be honest he seems more of a corporate man and if he increases that 3 fold he's done a good job and I suppose justified himself being here. Let's not forget to include the financial directors input in all this, surely there is some and accommodating away fans to the angst of home fans is nothing new also the BBE upper rug was pulled from under the home fans before Waggot pitched up.

Suits never understand fans they only understand numbers on a screen, a good example of that is currently running the country !

4 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Waggott on our crowds:

Poor stuff.

Agree. I thought it was a bit embarrassing, to be honest.

Hope it's not old fashioned weasel words before a big sale...Anyone remember C.R.Davis being quoted on attendances before the sale of Newton?

Edited by Leonard Venkhater

Agree with Rover 99 on this, Waggot seems unbelievably clueless. He does not seem to have any understanding that anything he has done has reduced potential crowds.

If he needs help, there were plenty of good suggestions on here.

Read the thread Mr Waggot, we don't mind earning your salary for you!

• Like 2

As a lapsed season ticket holder after having one for 22 years (until last season)I shamefully have to admit I’ve simply got out of the habit of going to games. 

It’s very hard to describe the feeling of still being madly into Rovers frantically checking twitter during all games but not having a massive desire to go to games live. I can only fire out a few things that potentially spring to mind.

- I can catch highlights of the game within 20-40 minutes on the sky sports app.

- Red button and sky covered matches give me the chance to catch quite a few games a season.

- Seeing Jason Lowe run straight out of play with the ball on the relegation day and thinking that guy is a multimillionaire ... the game has gone mad. That really effected me believe it or not

- friends and family have got out of the habit of going to games we had 9 season tickets by the first season in the Championship, we now have none.

- I don’t believe in thinking watching lower level football is the answer as that is “proper” football, I’m Rovers only. I don’t watch match of the day or other matches on sky.

- The fact that football is decided now by strikes of owners pens, for all the fantastic work Mowbray and the players have done a move called from India (Coyle appointment) can send the whole club tumbling.

So reading back through that now I’ve put it down in writing, Sky makes it too easy for me to follow my club without giving up my spare time and I suppose money but the money isn’t an issue per se. I resent how Owners now run football and footballers are paid too much. Most of the people I attended with fall into one, some of all the categories above and it saddens me but hey, at least I’ve been honest.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 47er said:

Agree with Rover 99 on this, Waggot seems unbelievably clueless. He does not seem to have any understanding that anything he has done has reduced potential crowds.

If he needs help, there were plenty of good suggestions on here.

Read the thread Mr Waggot, we don't mind earning your salary for you!

I am starting to wonder whether it might be less about being clueless and more about arrogance, refusal to listen and join up the dots. 

He might have dug himself into a hole in India by overselling  what he could do with attendances....

Lets hope he can develop some listening skills...quickly!

'Waggott believes enticing people back through the home turnstiles isn’t simply a case of reducing prices.' It seemed to work for the Oxford game last season yes I know that people went for a promotion party but at full price I think that there would have been at the very maximum 20000. I'm not suggesting that we charge a tenner a match (although it would be an idea to do that for a game or two a season). I'd get rid of the stupid categories and charge £20 for the Riverside and £22 for the Jack Walker and Blackburn End and midweek games I'd charge £15 & £17.  Also get rid of the stupid increase for paying on the day. Unless we lower the prices then you aren't going to see a regular rise in home attendances.

• Like 2