BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Attendances

Neal

8 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

While I agree that there shouldn't be a 3 pound charge, I still can't believe that this is an actual deterrent for people who want to go to a game. Seems to have gone from mountain to mole hill on here anyway. 

I just can't wrap my head around someone who wants to go, refusing to do so for the sake of 3 pounds. 

Be intersting to see what happens if /when it's removed. Going off reading some comments here there should be 1000s back in the ground lol 

In a half empty stadium (and that's being generous) ticket prices should be going down as we approach kick-off, not up. It happens in most other entertainment industries that way.  Football clubs are unique in  the way they treat their customer base. 

Anyway, it's the principle as much as anything, and also the fact it doesn't happen at other local clubs in the same division. 'Rip-off' is the right term for it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Hardly much it is. Blimey cant believe people are complaining over 10 pounds. 

You can't believe they complain about the 3 pounds surcharge or the increase in 1875 membership? Not everyone can or does prioritise attending Rovers games so that they don't think about cost in the way you seem to. For every family cash priorities are different and everything that makes it harder for people to attend matches in any way is important, especially when the ground is half empty. The point most people here seem to understand is that getting people back as season ticket holders requires getting them back into a habit. Make that habit harder than it needs to be for them means many will simply stay away. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Hasta said:

As far as I am aware, you don't turn up at the cinema and have to pay £2 more than if you had booked it online a few hours earlier.

I've turned up quite often at the cinema to find there's a special offer on tickets and the person behind the counter is keen to help me get it. 

I've also turned up at rugby games a few minutes before the match, got tickets for the same price as if I'd been there hours before and sometimes found it includes a drink at the bar or kiosk after the match too. Not everyone imposes surcharges

• Like 1

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

I was just making a point to what I perceived to be the pointlessness of this years membership, moneybags. You dont have to apologise for everything Waggott does.

I wouldnt say its pointless. Getting early chances of away tickets, Discounted home league match tickets, Exemption from home matchday price increase and Exclusive competitions & events. 

17 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I wouldnt say its pointless. Getting early chances of away tickets, Discounted home league match tickets, Exemption from home matchday price increase and Exclusive competitions & events. 

It is for a season ticket holder like you and I baring in mind as others have said there wont be a repeat of Fleetwood in terms of demand over supply, all will go to open sale.

The matchday price increase shouldnt exist in the first place anyway but thats another matter.

• Like 1

In 2000/2001 we consistently had one of the highest.

Shows how much this league has changed and how much lasting damage 2010-2012 did. 

I would hope and pray the club will be doing everything in its power to increase season ticket sales next summer, but I doubt it, it will be just more a case of ‘squeeze the regulars.’

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

You aren’t really have representative example though. Rovers could increase the price of a season ticket by £100 every season and you would not only pay it, and defend the club, but would tell others to stop complaining.

It’s no wonder a 100% increase is nothing to you. “It’s only £3” “it’s only £5”.

But even the surcharge isn’t only £3. It’s saying Foxtrot Uniform to anyone who didn’t put Rovers as their first priority of the week. Is it any wonder some fans are saying the same back?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, gumboots said:

I've turned up quite often at the cinema to find there's a special offer on tickets and the person behind the counter is keen to help me get it. 

I've also turned up at rugby games a few minutes before the match, got tickets for the same price as if I'd been there hours before and sometimes found it includes a drink at the bar or kiosk after the match too. Not everyone imposes surcharges

Well that’s the first time I’ve ever seen anyone defend or support the pricing structure of cinemas - in my opinion the most pointlessly expensive experience there is these days, since it would cost me nearly 30 quid to take a friend at the weekend including drinks and snacks etc.

As for rinsing our fans and putting off lapsed season ticket holders - it was a 1/4 off on all food and drink last Saturday, I don’t ever remember the club doing that, even before the Raos rocked up. I also don’t recall anyone mentioning that here.

Fair enough the prices aren’t the cheapest anymore, but football (even in this league) ramps up in cost every season. FFP (if you’re prepared to accept its validity, certainly has done QPR serious damage imo) also means our football budget is linked to our actual monetary turnover - which makes me think we could be paying potentially twice as much if the wage boom trend in football continues.

I have my own perspective - I’d probably pay more and I think those using the 3 quid surcharge excuse would literally use anything they could to justify their own lapsed interest. I’m sure these people aren’t scraping around for 3 quid if they’re considering a game including transport, food etc.

I’d be more pissed off if I was a Burnley fan. Their club will likely turnover more this year than ever before and it also coincides with some of their better seats costing £550 for the season. Ludicrous.

Edited by Biz
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Biz said:

Well that’s the first time I’ve ever seen anyone defend or support the pricing structure of cinemas - in my opinion the most pointlessly expensive experience there is these days, since it would cost me nearly 30 quid to take a friend at the weekend including drinks and snacks etc.

Still cheaper than going to Rovers and at least you get a happy ending*

*and sometimes two if you're on the back row with a 'friend'. 

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

Still cheaper than going to Rovers and at least you get a happy ending*

*and sometimes two if you're on the back row with a 'friend'. 

It should be cheaper, it’s not a live sport, it doesn’t take the same facilities or organisation, it’s not as immersive and it has zero impact on our local economy.

If you want to complain about anything, I think a large coke and a large popcorn being nearly 10 quid is more of a “pertinent” reason than a 3 quid late arrival surcharge.

• Moderation Lead
11 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

You're missing the point. Of course it isn't much money, but it's just pretty much unnecessary (like the surcharge) now and it's served its purpose. Last season, with away games with lower allocations where there was a chance ST holders might not be able to get a ticket (Fleetwood), it made sense. This season, with higher allocations and grounds people have been to before, demand isn't as high.

We need to be doing more to encourage people to attend, not to deter them from doing so. 

Edited by K-Hod
  • Like 2

Just now, Biz said:

t should be cheaper, it’s not a live sport, it doesn’t take the same facilities or organisation, it’s not as immersive and it has zero impact on our local economy.

So? When a couple of youngsters are wondering what to spend their money on do they think 'Mmm, how will this affect the local economy'?  No, they don't.

They get about 90 mins entertainment whether they go to Rovers or Vue. At Vue it's a lot cheaper. And warmer … and just as immersive as the 1st half against every team we've played at Ewood this season … and we've only had 3 happy endings! But we'll still be there next match...

The point you're missing is that it's not us Rovers need to attract back. We have ST's, we are diehards (with a vengeance). We are already there on matchdays. It's the families/couples who choose between the cinema etc and a football ground for their Saturday/Sunday/Tuesday entertainment who Rovers need to entice to the citadel of football. They won't do that by putting prices up and imposing a ridiculous surcharge which appears to have no justification.

BTW, do you have an explanation for a surcharge that seems to have arbitrarily imposed, and that other local clubs in the same division don't charge?

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Biz said:

it was a 1/4 off on all food and drink last Saturday, I don’t ever remember the club doing that, even before the Raos rocked up. I also don’t recall anyone mentioning that here.

I guessed that is what they had done when I got a pint and only got charged £3. Well done for the club for doing it.

However they could have put something up to advertise the fact so people knew. I certainly didnt see any signage up around the concourse or bars, and your post is the first confirmation I've seen.

They haven't cut the prices across the board on food before but they have done "Free pie with a pint" offers etc.. 

Edited by Hasta

3 hours ago, Ozz said:

Last weekend Rovers had the lowest attendance in the top two leagues, and as it was FA Cup 1st round day, the lowest league crowd in English league football. 

I understand Waggott has said lots of clubs have surcharges and the idea is to reduce late ticket sales.

Lowest league crowd in English league football. Well the surcharge is working at Ewood then!

Edited by MCMC1875

8 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

So? When a couple of youngsters are wondering what to spend their money on do they think 'Mmm, how will this affect the local economy'?  No, they don't.

They get about 90 mins entertainment whether they go to Rovers or Vue. At Vue it's a lot cheaper. And warmer … and just as immersive as the 1st half against every team we've played at Ewood this season … and we've only had 3 happy endings! But we'll still be there next match...

The point you're missing is that it's not us Rovers need to attract back. We have ST's, we are diehards (with a vengeance). We are already there on matchdays. It's the families/couples who choose between the cinema etc and a football ground for their Saturday/Sunday/Tuesday entertainment who Rovers need to entice to the citadel of football. They won't do that by putting prices up and imposing a ridiculous surcharge which appears to have no justification.

BTW, do you have an explanation for a surcharge that seems to have arbitrarily imposed, and that other local clubs in the same division don't charge?

No B.B. I get that people aren’t too happy about paying more in this climate, but I think you’re missing my point; This is also a perfect excuse for the lapsed fans who simply can’t be arsed with Rotherham at home. They’d pay it 3/4 times over if we had United, Liverpool, City etc, and never bat a eyelid. 

If it was price not product, wouldn’t we have seen at least one complaint about Preston charging us 27 quid basic for their game? Reason is- as you are pointing it out - that’s because entertainment wise, local derby with an edge is fair more enjoyable than the latest DC abomination or Star Wars Episode 19.

I am not the marketing department or involved in finance so I cannot explain their decisions, but put it this way - I still think our tickets are correctly and fairly priced. 

If an improving young team on an upwards trend, with a good manager adding quality and class, investing in players, showing team spirit not seen for years, with a 1 defeat in over a year at home - needs to do more to “encourage fans to attend” then I personally think the fans deserve the criticism not the club.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Hasta said:

I guessed that is what they had done when I got a pint and only got charged £3. Well done for the club for doing it.

However they could have put something up to advertise the fact so people knew. I certainly didnt see any signage up around the concourse or bars, and your post is the first confirmation I've seen.

They haven't cut the prices across the board on food before but they have done "Free pie with a pint" offers etc.. 

I agree, seemed like a bit of a kick back, if I’d known it would be cheaper I would’ve got two bottles instead of a pint...!

On 28/09/2018 at 16:13, Biz said:

For me, the easiest long term solution has always been kids should go for free.

The actual age limit is subjective, but many (like me) who watched football regularly between the ages of 6-16 will be hooked for life.

Obviously - being 6 in 1991, 10 in 95 and 16/17 during Souness/Hughes era is a bit different to turning 6 in 2008 (when venkys took over) but I still think that our club lacks many offers like this.

For instance, I don’t recall my workplace (school in east Lancashire) ever being offered free or subsidised tickets. I’m quite sure the primary schools still have this system, and it might be a lazy PE teacher not answering letters but from discussions I’ve had with many other secondary teachers in Blackburn, Accrington and similar - the offers have somewhat dried up in recent years.

This is probably due to funding cuts in local area and maybe even more stringent safeguarding (CRB cost for volunteers etc), but every time I see an empty seat at Ewood, I always think the long term profits would outweigh the short term cost of giving ALL unsold tickets away, some snacks, and paying for youth workers to drive them to and from, whilst looking after them during the match.

Maybe the club is doing their utmost in this area and the clamour from schools isn’t there, but I seriously doubt this is the case.

@blueboy3333

My gripes with the ticketing at Ewood is more based on the above

47 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

You're missing the point. Of course it isn't much money, but it's just pretty much unnecessary (like the surcharge) now and it's served its purpose. Last season, with away games with lower allocations where there was a chance ST holders might not be able to get a ticket (Fleetwood), it made sense. This season, with higher allocations and grounds people have been to before, demand isn't as high.

We need to be doing more to encourage people to attend, not to deter them from doing so. 

I don't understand why people can't grasp this point. Last season the half dozen or so people I go with all joined primarily because it gave us pretty much first dibs on low allocation away games which we knew would sell out. I can't speak for everyone but none of us have joined this season as we are pretty sure we will get tickets for any game we want. And as another matter of principle we didn't join because Rovers saw fit to increase the cost by 100%. It's not the money for us, it's the unjustified increase and Rovers trying to abuse our loyalty.

• Like 1

2,500/ 3,000 or so people are buying match tickets every week, that’s as many as we’ve ever really sold week by week, even in the PL. So, even though I do think £25-£30 is too expensive, that’s not the reason crowds aren’t what we want and I think we focus on the red herring of match ticket sales a little too much on here.

It’s very simple, the vast majority of our support has always come from STs and we just didn’t sell enough of them in the summer , we’ll probably sell a few hundred half STs, but there’s not a lot else we can do about season tickets for the next few months.

That’s why it is essential that we sell significantly more next time round. No more price rises, get them on sale earlier etc etc, it is the only way we will raise crowds, if we don’t see a significant increase we will be having the exact same argument this time next year.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 1

Why does the club want to discourage late sales? 

Surely any sales at any stage are to be welcomed and not discouraged?

No acceptance that in attempting to discourage late sales that one or two might just not bother at all rather than get a ticket earlier?

19 minutes ago, Biz said:

No B.B. I get that people aren’t too happy about paying more in this climate, but I think you’re missing my point; This is also a perfect excuse for the lapsed fans who simply can’t be arsed with Rotherham at home. They’d pay it 3/4 times over if we had United, Liverpool, City etc, and never bat a eyelid. 

If it was price not product, wouldn’t we have seen at least one complaint about Preston charging us 27 quid basic for their game? Reason is- as you are pointing it out - that’s because entertainment wise, local derby with an edge is fair more enjoyable than the latest DC abomination or Star Wars Episode 19.

I am not the marketing department or involved in finance so I cannot explain their decisions, but put it this way - I still think our tickets are correctly and fairly priced. 

If an improving young team on an upwards trend, with a good manager adding quality and class, investing in players, showing team spirit not seen for years, with a 1 defeat in over a year at home - needs to do more to “encourage fans to attend” then I personally think the fans deserve the criticism not the club.

Those defending the club arent embracing the fact that those who may be put off by slight increases, surcharges, memberships, things like that, are not always diehard fans. You say these fans deserve criticism but they will need every possible encouragement to attend. No one has suggested that the team or manager is discouragement to attend in any way so need to mention that either.

"Simply cant be arsed" is said as if its an obligation to attend. For people who arent season ticket holders, obviously it isnt an obligation.