BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Attendances

Neal

11 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

2,500/ 3,000 or so people are buying match tickets every week, that’s as many as we’ve ever really sold week by week, even in the PL. So, even though I do think £25-£30 is too expensive, that’s not the reason crowds aren’t what we want and I think we focus on the red herring of match ticket sales a little too much on here.

It’s very simple, the vast majority of our support has always come from STs and we just didn’t sell enough of them in the summer , we’ll probably sell a few hundred half STs, but there’s not a lot else we can do about season tickets for the next few months.

That’s why it is essential that we sell significantly more next time round. No more price rises, get them on sale earlier etc etc, it is the only way we will raise crowds, if we don’t see a significant increase we will be having the exact same argument this time next year.

But getting people in the ground on match days between now and the end of the season may be what's needed to increase St sales next season 

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Biz said:

No B.B. I get that people aren’t too happy about paying more in this climate, but I think you’re missing my point; This is also a perfect excuse for the lapsed fans who simply can’t be arsed with Rotherham at home. They’d pay it 3/4 times over if we had United, Liverpool, City etc, and never bat a eyelid. 

If it was price not product, wouldn’t we have seen at least one complaint about Preston charging us 27 quid basic for their game? Reason is- as you are pointing it out - that’s because entertainment wise, local derby with an edge is fair more enjoyable than the latest DC abomination or Star Wars Episode 19.

I am not the marketing department or involved in finance so I cannot explain their decisions, but put it this way - I still think our tickets are correctly and fairly priced. 

If an improving young team on an upwards trend, with a good manager adding quality and class, investing in players, showing team spirit not seen for years, with a 1 defeat in over a year at home - needs to do more to “encourage fans to attend” then I personally think the fans deserve the criticism not the club.

I paid £24 for a Preston ticket.

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Those defending the club arent embracing the fact that those who may be put off by slight increases, surcharges, memberships, things like that, are not always diehard fans. You say these fans deserve criticism but they will need every possible encouragement to attend. No one has suggested that the team or manager is discouragement to attend in any way so need to mention that either.

"Simply cant be arsed" is said as if its an obligation to attend. For people who arent season ticket holders, obviously it isnt an obligation. 

But we both know they’d be back at 30 quid a pop if we played at a higher level RF, so why defend that sort of fan mentality, when it effectively damages the club and team long term?

12 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

2,500/ 3,000 or so people are buying match tickets every week, that’s as many as we’ve ever really sold week by week, even in the PL. So, even though I do think £25-£30 is too expensive, that’s not the reason crowds aren’t what we want and I think we focus on the red herring of match ticket sales a little too much on here.

It’s very simple, the vast majority of our support has always come from STs and we just didn’t sell enough of them in the summer , we’ll probably sell a few hundred half STs, but there’s not a lot else we can do about season tickets for the next few months.

That’s why it is essential that we sell significantly more next time round. No more price rises, get them on sale earlier etc etc, it is the only way we will raise crowds, if we don’t see a significant increase we will be having the exact same argument this time next year.

When you consider it this way, it’s easy to think the surcharges are potentially intended to push more towards ST and half ST.

2 hours ago, Hasta said:

I guessed that is what they had done when I got a pint and only got charged £3. Well done for the club for doing it.

However they could have put something up to advertise the fact so people knew. I certainly didnt see any signage up around the concourse or bars, and your post is the first confirmation I've seen.

They haven't cut the prices across the board on food before but they have done "Free pie with a pint" offers etc.. 

What is the point in doing a promotion and not advertising it?

Edited by MCMC1875

16 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Are there actually that many buying single match tickets or are corporates counted in as well along with complimentaries etc ?

If they are then every one of those 2/3k should be treated as a potential half ST buyer and maybe should be targeted with some incentives.  That's what the database is for after all.

2 minutes ago, Biz said:

Would you pay the same for a 3rd round FA cup game at home to AFC Wimbledon? 

Every game should be the same price in one season. It was this way for over 100 years. I pay to see Blackburn Rovers. Cat A/B/C should be scrapped.

Edited by MCMC1875
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, arbitro said:

I don't understand why people can't grasp this point. Last season the half dozen or so people I go with all joined primarily because it gave us pretty much first dibs on low allocation away games which we knew would sell out. I can't speak for everyone but none of us have joined this season as we are pretty sure we will get tickets for any game we want. And as another matter of principle we didn't join because Rovers saw fit to increase the cost by 100%. It's not the money for us, it's the unjustified increase and Rovers trying to abuse our loyalty.

Let me start by saying that I agree with you that Rovers have got there pricing wrong for 1875 membership and, like you, I haven’t signed up this year after being a member last year.

But - I don’t think I’m particularly missing out or being inconvenienced in any way by it so I’m not sure what the point of moaning about it is. Ultimately it is like anything else, it has a price and people will decide whether or not to buy depending on how they assess its value. For instance, I’d love a new iPhone, but I can’t justify spending £1000 on one so I won’t buy it. If the pricing of the membership is wrong not many people will buy it and it’s the club who miss out and so might reassess for next year.

Having said that - if you were not a ST holder, couldn’t buy tickets in advance for whatever reason, and were likely to come to at least 6 games, then you’d actually save money by paying the £15 membership fee, plus get extra money to spend at the club shop and a few extra perks too - so maybe it is worth the price 

9 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Why does the club want to discourage late sales? 

Surely any sales at any stage are to be welcomed and not discouraged?

No acceptance that in attempting to discourage late sales that one or two might just not bother at all rather than get a ticket earlier?

Genuine question here - has anyone on here actually been affected by the surcharge? Turned up on spur of the moment and had to pay it? Or been put off from attending because of it? Or are we all getting upset on behalf of the hypothetical family who might decide at 2pm to stroll down to Ewood?

I imagine that in reality the people most affected by it are away fans - and that it is actually in place to deter late sales, as they need extra stewarding etc. 

I know last season there were a couple of away games (can’t remember which ones) where I thought about going after my sons game was called off in the morning, only to be put off by a surcharge in one instance, and a refusal to sell tickets on the day in the second!  

• Moderation Lead
11 minutes ago, Biz said:

Would you pay the same for a 3rd round FA cup game at home to AFC Wimbledon? 

If we ever charge £24 for a 3rd round FA Cup game against anyone, I'll platt fog......

24 minutes ago, MCMC1875 said:

Every game should be the same price in one season. It was this way for over 100 years. I pay to see Blackburn Rovers. Cat A/B/C should be scrapped.

Single tier pricing would probably be best but failing that the A/B/C shouldn't be dictated predominantly by trying to fleece any away support who is likely to bring over a thousand because that is the way it seems structured.

It isn't done with home fans in mind and that is annoying.

If it was a bit cheaper maybe a fuller home end would've turned up isn't that the point ?

An almost 50/50 home v away ratio is hardly something to celebrate unless of course you are a man in a suit with no affinity to the club just counting the beans and reporting back to your bosses.

Just now, tomphil said:

If it was a bit cheaper maybe a fuller home end would've turned up isn't that the point ?

An almost 50/50 home v away ratio is hardly something to celebrate unless of course you are a man in a suit with no affinity to the club just counting the beans and reporting back to your bosses.

Step forward Mr Cheston.

• Like 1

https://www.rovers.co.uk/news/2018/november/ticket-news-sheffield-wednesday-h/

27 quid in the riverside if you’re not in the 1875 club. 24 quid if you are. Will this game see the tickets fly out like Preston away? No, and It’s got feck all to do with surcharges.

Plus one caveat that I hadn’t seen “1875 Club Members are exempt from the matchday price increase”

So in essence the the surcharge is negligible, since if you know you can only got to a 3rd of the games and decide last minute, it saves you money to sign up to the rewards.

14 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

It's both, to be fair. 

Secondly people will pick and choose games by excitement ergo product. The price is generally secondary to the anticipated experience. Hence why I think the fans who use the excuse of 3 quid last minute charges aren’t avoiding games because of that cost.

Edited by K-Hod

What are the 'rules' in terms of pricing?

What is  'category pricing' all about? I get the general reasoning based upon the opposition but would it not be better to just have a fixed price for Rovers fans at every game at Ewood, irrespective of the opposition? Charge away fans on the basis of 'a deal' on a reciprocal basis which includes both fixtures between the clubs? (I remember Leeds year before last was £42 for Rovers fans!)

Would it not be better to offer a discount for purchasing a ticket earlier, rather than a surcharge?

Edited by darrenrover

• Moderation Lead
11 minutes ago, Biz said:

https://www.rovers.co.uk/news/2018/november/ticket-news-sheffield-wednesday-h/

27 quid in the riverside if you’re not in the 1875 club. 24 quid if you are. Will this game see the tickets fly out like Preston away? No, and It’s got feck all to do with surcharges.

Plus one caveat that I hadn’t seen “1875 Club Members are exempt from the matchday price increase”

So in essence the the surcharge is negligible, since if you know you can only got to a 3rd of the games and decide last minute, it saves you money to sign up to the rewards.

Secondly people will pick and choose games by excitement ergo product. The price is generally secondary to the anticipated experience. Hence why I think the fans who use the excuse of 3 quid last minute charges aren’t avoiding games because of that cost.

There's no need for the surcharge, it's as simple as that. We need to attract fans to games, not make it more expensive. (Though I accept, in the overwhelming majority of cases, people will know before the day whether they can attend or not). 

Edited by K-Hod

Just now, K-Hod said:

There's no need for the surcharge, it's as simple as that. We need to attract fans to games, not make it more expensive. (Though I accept, in the overwhelming majority of cases, people will know before the day whether they can attend or not). 

Will have to disagree on the impact of it, even though you even say that people attending will know before hand, which is one of 2 solid reasons for this cost being negligible. The other being the reward scheme making it free. The most basic income families would potentially feel it but we are talking a minority of those who’d be able to come regularly anyway. That’s a different argument.

@darrenrover  makes a point, if this was advertised as “27 quid a ticket but 10% off for those in the 1875 club and/or those tickets bought in advance” it would be seen completely differently and achieve exactly the same.

• Moderation Lead
Just now, Biz said:

Will have to disagree on the impact of it, even though you even say that people attending will know before hand, which is one of 2 solid reasons for this cost being negligible. The other being the reward scheme making it free. The most basic income families would potentially feel it but we are talking a minority of those who’d be able to come regularly anyway. That’s a different argument.

@darrenrover  makes a point, if this was advertised as “27 quid a ticket but 10% off for those in the 1875 club and/or those tickets bought in advance” it would be seen completely differently and achieve exactly the same.

I'm not making a point about the impact of it, I'm making a point on the need for it. Can you tell me what the need for it is? I still don't know.

In any event, people would still have to go to 4 games over the course of the whole season to make it worth being in the reward scheme and never receive the surcharge..... 

Edited by K-Hod

Comparing the demand for a Lancashire derby away game with a limited 5,500 allocation, where season ticket holders and other Ewood regulars need to buy a ticket, to a standard Championship home match with 20,000 seats to sell will tell you nothing.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Biz said:

If the cost is negligible, then why have the surcharge?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DaveyB said:

Let me start by saying that I agree with you that Rovers have got there pricing wrong for 1875 membership and, like you, I haven’t signed up this year after being a member last year.

But - I don’t think I’m particularly missing out or being inconvenienced in any way by it so I’m not sure what the point of moaning about it is. Ultimately it is like anything else, it has a price and people will decide whether or not to buy depending on how they assess its value. For instance, I’d love a new iPhone, but I can’t justify spending £1000 on one so I won’t buy it. If the pricing of the membership is wrong not many people will buy it and it’s the club who miss out and so might reassess for next year.

Having said that - if you were not a ST holder, couldn’t buy tickets in advance for whatever reason, and were likely to come to at least 6 games, then you’d actually save money by paying the £15 membership fee, plus get extra money to spend at the club shop and a few extra perks too - so maybe it is worth the price 

Genuine question here - has anyone on here actually been affected by the surcharge? Turned up on spur of the moment and had to pay it? Or been put off from attending because of it? Or are we all getting upset on behalf of the hypothetical family who might decide at 2pm to stroll down to Ewood?

I imagine that in reality the people most affected by it are away fans - and that it is actually in place to deter late sales, as they need extra stewarding etc. 

I know last season there were a couple of away games (can’t remember which ones) where I thought about going after my sons game was called off in the morning, only to be put off by a surcharge in one instance, and a refusal to sell tickets on the day in the second!  

From my point of view it's an example of the club trying to squeeze another few quid out of generally loyal supporters. As I said it's not the money but the principal. I'd like to see the membership numbers from last year to this. Perhaps they can be requested at one of the fan group meetings.

At the moment I'm considering going to watch Accrington on Saturday. In the past I have got my tickets at 2.30 on the day of the game. If I had to pay any more than face value I simply wouldn't go. I know the Chief Executive there and he knows the walk on numbers would be severely depleted if they charged any extra.

• Like 2