BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Attendances

Neal

I remember PL games with only 16000 on the gate, there is less cash going round most families these days. If the club wants to massively increase its home following the only way they will is the slash prices even then I don't think it would increase enough. Might be worth them doing it for a few games 10 quid and quid a kid see if it works see if the fanbase will come back for more than one game.

Edited by PeteJD13

The 16k Prem gates in the redeveloped Ewood came in Hughes time after he'd just signed Bellamy etc, if i'm not mistaken they just stuck STs up quite a whack that close season.....

Edited by tomphil

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

very costly hobby? surely this depending on a number of different factors including what you do family and leisure wide plus your job, job wage and private life?

Going to Ewood every season is the same cost as going to cinema every month to watch a movie with the missus. I can spend 40 pounds a time there or going to comedy night on a monthly basis. 

well at the minute we have a team and manager who are giving everything at this club and showing more desire and passion than the past few years. We are in the mix for possible playoff challenge and considering where this club was when Mowbray was appointed here as manager we are very much a different club and having a team of players who work hard and play with heart on the sleeve. 

You keep going on the surcharge but no idea to get fans back whilst I have suggested 3 ideas and you shot 2 of them down, can I ask why? Plus we have roughly 800 fans each time who buy tickets after 12pm so the surcharge isn't much of a factor surely you would agree. 

It is a very costly hobby full stop. It is my main hobby so I can justify it, I also have no kids to pay for. Your random hypothetical scenario is obvious but these fans who could add say an extra few hundred-couple of thousand potentially onto our gates are obviously people who do have other things to do, or do not consider it ther primary hobby or avenue to spend their money.

As much as Mowbrays doing a good job, effort and hard work is a minimum requirement, and that "they try harder than they used to" is hardly going to get fairweather fans into the stadium. Everythings relative, we are in a far worse position than say pre Venkys but better than under Coyle etc. 

No, neither of us know whether that number would go up without the surcharge, the amount of walk ons with the surcharge is irrelevant.

I decided I was boycotting in the middle of the 2014-15 season. Had a season ticket but stopped going. I’ve been on quite a few games since then, but usually when someone had a spare. I have only bought a ticket 2 or 3 times since.

My hatred of Venky’s remains, and at the start of this season I felt quite torn as to whether or not I should get a season ticket this year. My stance against the owners meant, as futile as it may seem, that I didn’t want to buy one. All the while I felt I was cutting my nose off to spite my face, particularly as I’d go with my Dad and Brother, which I miss. I’m really happy with the players and management, and want to support them. But there is the Venky’s cloud. I still care a lot, but truthfully I’m out of the habit.

I do miss going, but I don’t feel the way I used to about it. It was for a long time what my week was all about. I used to attend more regularly when I was living and working in Holland than I do now.

What would entice me back? 

Well Venkys are going nowhere soon, but the following would help:

Take down the Venky’s advertising hoardings. Seriously. That’s one of my major gripes. They piss me off to what many would deem an irrational level.

Improve the pre game experience. I get that the club has to cater to the masses, but some rubbish karaoke singer in the “fanzone” isn’t my cup of tea. Just play some decent music over a properly functioning tannoy. Man Utd tweet out a playlist before games. Rovervision effectively killing off Radio Rovers spoilt the pre game experience for me. Hate when they show early kick off games on the big screen. Again this might sound petty, but I’d see it as a change and it would peak my interest in going.

I used to like the pubs round Ewood, many of which are gone.

Safe standing would bring me back immediately.

I am firmly in the AMF camp, and I have a tendency to get misty eyed about how it used to be going on Ewood. Maybe I need to “reconnect”.

As someone who, depending on how you view it, is either very sceptical or bashes the club at any opportunity, I have to say that the cost is not a factor. I’ve managed to have a ST during periods where I’ve been in pretty serious financial difficulty. And we offer a very fair deal, particularly on season tickets. The surcharge makes sense to me and would not factor at all in my decision making. If I’m able/organised/not too lazy I can save a couple of quid. If not, no big deal.

In all honesty, if I bit the bullet and started going again, I wouldn’t stop (save for another Venky masterstroke). 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

I decided I was boycotting in the middle of the 2014-15 season. Had a season ticket but stopped going. I’ve been on quite a few games since then, but usually when someone had a spare. I have only bought a ticket 2 or 3 times since.

My hatred of Venky’s remains, and at the start of this season I felt quite torn as to whether or not I should get a season ticket this year. My stance against the owners meant, as futile as it may seem, that I didn’t want to buy one. All the while I felt I was cutting my nose off to spite my face, particularly as I’d go with my Dad and Brother, which I miss. I’m really happy with the players and management, and want to support them. But there is the Venky’s cloud. I still care a lot, but truthfully I’m out of the habit.

I do miss going, but I don’t feel the way I used to about it. It was for a long time what my week was all about. I used to attend more regularly when I was living and working in Holland than I do now.

Take down the Venky’s advertising hoardings. Seriously. That’s one of my major gripes. They piss me off to what many would deem an irrational level.

Improve the pre game experience. I get that the club has to cater to the masses, but some rubbish karaoke singer in the “fanzone” isn’t my cup of tea. Just play some decent music over a properly functioning tannoy. Man Utd tweet out a playlist before games. Rovervision effectively killing off Radio Rovers spoilt the pre game experience for me. Hate when they show early kick off games on the big screen. Again this might sound petty, but I’d see it as a change and it would peak my interest in going.

I am firmly in the AMF camp, and I have a tendency to get misty eyed about how it used to be going on Ewood. Maybe I need to “reconnect”.

As someone who, depending on how you view it, is either very sceptical or bashes the club at any opportunity, I have to say that the cost is not a factor. I’ve managed to have a ST during periods where I’ve been in pretty serious financial difficulty. And we offer a very fair deal, particularly on season tickets. The surcharge makes sense to me and would not factor at all in my decision making. If I’m able/organised/not too lazy I can save a couple of quid. If not, no big deal.

In all honesty, if I bit the bullet and started going again, I wouldn’t stop (save for another Venky masterstroke). 

Good post. 

Life is to short. Get angry over things you can change.

This is and always will be our club. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, pk1875 said:

Waggot explained the surcharge partly as the club like to know how many fans to expect. They like to have an idea how much food to order etc which makes some sense.

The £3 may not put people off but it certainly doesn't encourage last minute walk ons.

Any business would prefer a sell out rather than status quo.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

It is a very costly hobby full stop. It is my main hobby so I can justify it, I also have no kids to pay for. Your random hypothetical scenario is obvious but these fans who could add say an extra few hundred-couple of thousand potentially onto our gates are obviously people who do have other things to do, or do not consider it ther primary hobby or avenue to spend their money.

As much as Mowbrays doing a good job, effort and hard work is a minimum requirement, and that "they try harder than they used to" is hardly going to get fairweather fans into the stadium. Everythings relative, we are in a far worse position than say pre Venkys but better than under Coyle etc. 

No, neither of us know whether that number would go up without the surcharge, the amount of walk ons with the surcharge is irrelevant.

The first part is your opinion not a fact. 

Mowbray has bought honest and integrity the club and we are in the best position players and manager wise since we were in the championship under Kean. The Players and managers give everything for this club and love being at Blackburn Rovers as Bennett and Mulgrew interviews this week have said. 

No I sorry the amount of walk ons with the surcharge isn't irrelevant as we have a proper figure to work with amount how many are turning up after 12pm so I don't see how it is irrelevant. Can You explain why it is irrelevant? 

Also you haven't some other points/questions I asked before so please could you answer them. Thanks in advance

1. Why would it suit me to get kids in the ground? cos of my kids? if that's your implication then you are very wrong. My reasons to get kids in the ground so young is to get them hooked into the club and get them passion about Blackburn Rovers and football so they want to come back each and every game. I remember my childhood and me being hooked on Blackburn Rovers from 7 years old. I loved going to watch Blackburn Rovers every week back then and still do now.  Plus then parents would spend more in club shop and food/drink Surely you would agree that by getting young fans hook on Blackburn Rovers and attend games is a good idea to raise attendances?

2. I have suggested 3 things and you have turned badly on each idea like Kids season tickets for 1 pounds and weekend season tickets saying I've only suggested it cos it suit me when it has no affect on me at all but you shot down each idea. I did also said suggestion for the 2 games around Christmas have a family ticket which would be priced at 42 pounds for 2 adults and 2 kids for each game. So Please can you explain why you shot me down on the 1st 2 ideas?

1 hour ago, Miller11 said:

Good Post and I can understand the points you make. Plenty of passion there. 

I would say that if you miss going with your dad and brother then maybe bite the bullet and go with them and enjoy it. I now go with my best friend and couple of other friends but if truth be told I really miss going with my dad to every games like I did when I was a child and late teens/early 20's. I have some of the greatest memories I ever had. My dad does go to the odd game now but he enjoyed doing other things like dad outs, weekends away and enjoying his retirement. But I always ring him after every game I attend and give him a brief summary of the game. 

I don't like the fanzone one bit or the beer served at Ewood Park. The lack of pubs is a problem but the club should be making the pre game much better. I do enjoyed watching the early kick off games but can understand why others don't. 

Can I asked what the AMF camp is? I seriously don't know so please don't think I'm being funny or clever cos I am not

30 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

The first part is your opinion not a fact. 

Mowbray has bought honest and integrity the club and we are in the best position players and manager wise since we were in the championship under Kean. The Players and managers give everything for this club and love being at Blackburn Rovers as Bennett and Mulgrew interviews this week have said. 

No I sorry the amount of walk ons with the surcharge isn't irrelevant as we have a proper figure to work with amount how many are turning up after 12pm so I don't see how it is irrelevant. Can You explain why it is irrelevant? 

Also you haven't some other points/questions I asked before so please could you answer them. Thanks in advance

1. Why would it suit me to get kids in the ground? cos of my kids? if that's your implication then you are very wrong. My reasons to get kids in the ground so young is to get them hooked into the club and get them passion about Blackburn Rovers and football so they want to come back each and every game. I remember my childhood and me being hooked on Blackburn Rovers from 7 years old. I loved going to watch Blackburn Rovers every week back then and still do now.  Plus then parents would spend more in club shop and food/drink Surely you would agree that by getting young fans hook on Blackburn Rovers and attend games is a good idea to raise attendances?

2. I have suggested 3 things and you have turned badly on each idea like Kids season tickets for 1 pounds and weekend season tickets saying I've only suggested it cos it suit me when it has no affect on me at all but you shot down each idea. I did also said suggestion for the 2 games around Christmas have a family ticket which would be priced at 42 pounds for 2 adults and 2 kids for each game. So Please can you explain why you shot me down on the 1st 2 ideas?

Good Post and I can understand the points you make. Plenty of passion there. 

I would say that if you miss going with your dad and brother then maybe bite the bullet and go with them and enjoy it. I now go with my best friend and couple of other friends but if truth be told I really miss going with my dad to every games like I did when I was a child and late teens/early 20's. I have some of the greatest memories I ever had. My dad does go to the odd game now but he enjoyed doing other things like dad outs, weekends away and enjoying his retirement. But I always ring him after every game I attend and give him a brief summary of the game. 

I don't like the fanzone one bit or the beer served at Ewood Park. The lack of pubs is a problem but the club should be making the pre game much better. I do enjoyed watching the early kick off games but can understand why others don't. 

Can I asked what the AMF camp is? I seriously don't know so please don't think I'm being funny or clever cos I am not

It is an expensive hobby. Even for us, if you dont think spending over 300 a year solely on tickets for home league games, thats before away tickets, travel etc is a big expense then you obviously have far more money than me. Football is an expensive hobby.

I never denied any of that but the fact that the players are fully committed is a minimum requirement, and not a reason alone for the crowds to come back. Mowbray is doing as much as he reasonably can but ive never doubted that he hasnt. No one that I have seen has mentioned a lack of committment from the players or manager as a reason that they dont go.

I meant that it is irrelevant in that we might get 800 walk ons now. We dont know either way whether that would stay at 800 or say increase to 1000 if the surcharge was removed. Thats the important stat, not how many walk ons we have with the surcharge. So we dont know for sure whether the surcharge is reducing the attendance or contributing to it and if so, by how much. I think we all know it wouldnt be a massive number but we need as many fans as possible.

It would suit you or more likely it would be easy for you to relate to as you have kids on your own yes. I said that because you struggle to empathise with anyone with any personal circumstances different to yours. I never said your ideas were bad on this suggestion, in fact getting kids into the habit is an idea i agree with you on.

The only idea i shot down was the weekend ticket as like I explained I suspect that the main people taking it up would be current full season ticket holders so in essence they would be downgrading. 

6 hours ago, pk1875 said:

Waggot explained the surcharge partly as the club like to know how many fans to expect. They like to have an idea how much food to order etc which makes some sense.

The £3 may not put people off but it certainly doesn't encourage last minute walk ons.

I read that as the surcharge is being used as a deterrent as they want people to buy before the cut off time.

Waggott is going to have to do better than that to justify the surcharge.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

It is an expensive hobby. Even for us, if you dont think spending over 300 a year solely on tickets for home league games, thats before away tickets, travel etc is a big expense then you obviously have far more money than me. Football is an expensive hobby.

I never denied any of that but the fact that the players are fully committed is a minimum requirement, and not a reason alone for the crowds to come back. Mowbray is doing as much as he reasonably can but ive never doubted that he hasnt. No one that I have seen has mentioned a lack of committment from the players or manager as a reason that they dont go.

I meant that it is irrelevant in that we might get 800 walk ons now. We dont know either way whether that would stay at 800 or say increase to 1000 if the surcharge was removed. Thats the important stat, not how many walk ons we have with the surcharge. So we dont know for sure whether the surcharge is reducing the attendance or contributing to it and if so, by how much. I think we all know it wouldnt be a massive number but we need as many fans as possible.

It would suit you or more likely it would be easy for you to relate to as you have kids on your own yes. I said that because you struggle to empathise with anyone with any personal circumstances different to yours. I never said your ideas were bad on this suggestion, in fact getting kids into the habit is an idea i agree with you on.

The only idea i shot down was the weekend ticket as like I explained I suspect that the main people taking it up would be current full season ticket holders so in essence they would be downgrading. 

It is an expensive hobby. I estimate that going to every game home and away will cost you around £2k per season. Even just home games could be over £600 for an adult.

• Like 1

Just now, meadows said:

We sold tickets in advance as a decent gate was expected. However it wasn’t all ticket. Greater numbers than anticipated turned up on the day and turnstiles admitted pay on the gate fans as normal. Eventually it became clear too many had been let in. Late arriving supporters with tickets were turned away in numbers. Front page headlines in the Telegraph the day after. 

A problem we won't encounter very often!

I think Duncan nails it really my attendances at ewood have become infrequent as I got out of the habit. Due to kids and being generally annoyed with the owners. Now I’ve just started to come back with my daughter it’s not the same but at the same time, it’s different and exciting because she comes. If I was going on my own I’d probably stick to radio rovers/ifollow.

• Moderation Lead
12 hours ago, Biz said:

Grow up. There’s purposely being outspoken and then there’s being allergic to basic bullshit.

We need to increase attendances, not find things to put people off. If tickets were cheaper, we’d get more fans on, it’s not difficult. Obviously not as many as we’ve lost since relegation, but more would come. The club should be on bended knees grovelling to the fans after what has happened over the last few years, not having this half asses approach.

Quite poor going down the ‘can’t be assed to support your team’ route. That’s not sound at all.

Edited by K-Hod
  • Like 2

Just now, K-Hod said:

I don’t think it’s them that need to grow up pal. We need to increase attendances, not find things to put people off. If tickets were cheaper, we’d get more fans on, it’s not difficult.

Quite poor going down the ‘can’t be assed to support your team’ route. That’s not sound at all.

If it is that simple, when you’re hangover has subsided try reading @Miller11‘s post.

11 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

You keep going on the surcharge but no idea to get fans back whilst I have suggested 3 ideas and you shot 2 of them down, can I ask why? Plus we have roughly 800 fans each time who buy tickets after 12pm so the surcharge isn't much of a factor surely you would agree. 

The discussion is not about the 800 who attend and don’t care or realise about the surcharge.

It is about the 10 or 100 or 1000 who would attend if there was no surcharge.

There are many ideas on this thread from passionate ROVERS FANS many who are not going regularly or at all. Are the club taking note or just ignoring the issue ?

The Leeds game with early KO had a surcharge the whole day. I chose not to go because of it. If I was the only one then fair enough.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, meadows said:

Archibald had signed a few days earlier and made his debut the week before in front of about 8,000 at home to Birmingham. Bradford had a good side & were near the top at the time. 14,000 was the Boxing Day Gate - no Riverside during that period. Once capacity was reached police ruled no more in, even with season tickets 

Boxing Day or shortly after Archibald's first game from memory. Anyway the BBE queue was well down Nuttall Street with police horses by the turnstiles.

19 hours ago, only2garners said:

ne thing that I was surprised about was that we are averaging 2,000 match tickets a time for home games and 40% of those are sold with the £3 surcharge - that's an average of 800 a game. That's way more than I would have expected. Of course what we don't know is how many more might have come without the £3 surcharge. I suspect it's a relatively small number but still one is too many. We did suggest turning the policy on it's head i.e. advertising tickets at say £30 but with a £3 discount for purchase in advance.

Such a shame 800 people are being slammed with the Attendance Tax every home game. Shameless profiteering by the club. I'm sure those people would much rather have bought a pint/hot drink/pie instead.

As you say one fan being put off by the surcharge is one too many. As you also say the surcharge probably doesn't put many off. Therefore why is a reason for the surcharge because Rovers need to know how many more pies to order? Not many would be the obvious answer so why are loyal Rovers fans being asked to pay more because the club are logistically incompetent and can't work that particular equation out.  The same applies to queues at the ticket office. 

Again, this is not about hordes of frustrated Rovers fans who can not pay the £3 surcharge but desperately want to go. It is why the club thinks it is acceptable to charge fans who perhaps don't know if they can make a match until 1pm for various reasons (work/family etc) are having to pay more. It is the principle, it's not about whether some bloke who doesn't go would be happy to pay something he knows he won't have to pay (Hello Miller;)) It's also not about someone with a ST saying 'Well, I'd pay the surcharge, doesn't bother me, life's too short' blah blah blah. 

Also, your idea of pricing tickets higher is bizarre. The people affected by the surcharge are still going to be paying the same. You've just priced the surcharge in from the start. ?

Just because 800 fans pay a surcharge does not mean they are happy to do so. The fact 800 pay it is not a justification for charging it. It should be scrapped and I'm surprised this wasn't suggested by the FF (or at least you've only mentioned your strange 'compromise' in your post). PNE don't charge it and they will have the same logistical issue as Rovers.

I don't believe for one minute Rovers order pies based on ticket sales at 1pm so why charge £3 extra at that point. It will have no impact on the pies Rovers order unless Waggott runs over to Leavers with a bag for life at 1.30pm to make up the shortfall. Also, If Waggott can't work out what to do with a few pies after a game he's in the wrong job. Give them to the homeless. The club aren't that skint if they are spending £7m on a striker and handing out new contracts left right and centre. Unless the surcharge has paid for all that?

There is no justification whatsoever for this Attendance Tax. 

Disclaimer:-

**** JUST BECAUSE I DON'T AGREE WITH A SURCHARGE DOES NOT MEAN I DON'T LOVE MY CLUB. I JUST THINK IT COULD DO BETTER THAN RIPPING OFF FANS  **** 

• Like 6

20 hours ago, only2garners said:

On the £3 surcharge this is what Mike Cheston said - MC said that the club wanted fans to buy tickets in advance for two reasons – to reduce congestion at the ticket office immediately before the game and to capture details of fans purchasing tickets for the database so that club offers could be sent to them. i.e. they want to get at as many of those buying match tickets to sell them season tickets. If people turn up at the last minute that information is not collected.

One thing that I was surprised about was that we are averaging 2,000 match tickets a time for home games and 40% of those are sold with the £3 surcharge - that's an average of 800 a game. That's way more than I would have expected. Of course what we don't know is how many more might have come without the £3 surcharge. I suspect it's a relatively small number but still one is too many. We did suggest turning the policy on it's head i.e. advertising tickets at say £30 but with a £3 discount for purchase in advance.

When you told me the Fans Forum doesn't represent the fans, you weren't joking were you?

• Like 1

Just now, 47er said:

When you told me the Fans Forum doesn't represent the fans, you weren't joking were you?

I bet Waggott can't believe his luck. 

'Mike, did you hear that, the FF are actually trying to help us rip off the fans by suggesting a way of charging them the same but in a way that makes them think they are actuslly getting a discount. It's like when shops put up prices in the run up to the sales and then drop them to where they were at the start. The FF are enabling our racketeering. Mike? Mike??!! Stop laughing and get off the floor'

'Hahahahahaha. I can't. I've never known the like. Hahahahahahaha………………….'

• Like 1