BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Attendances

Neal

Think there’s been a fair few games this season where there has still been under 2k Stanley fans in the ground, and a fair few of those will be Rovers/Dingles fans just taking in a local game, so we shouldn’t over egg them too much.

But certainly an upwardly mobile club.

Edited by Mattyblue

The thing with Stanley is they are starting from an almost non-existent base. So they can try allsorts and a couple of hundred extra here or there will make a massive difference to them. Even in the last couple of years they've had less than 1000 home fans on occasions so to be at double that on occasions this season is good going.

How much of that is down to Holt's running of the club compared to Coleman's unbelievable performance as manager, promotion and upward trajectory over the last 3-4 years is unclear. The proof will be when they inevitably end up slipping down the ladder how many turn up to watch. At the moment I think a lot of their fans are traditional Dingles or Rovers fans who find it easier to go watching them or indeed do both. e.g. I was one of those who went on against Barnsley on Saturday.

Got to say, after the game I went into the clubhouse with my mates and we ended up staying until 8:30pm, the place was packed, cheap(ish) ale, cask, no idiots, bouncers or cops, no charge to get in, some Barnsley fans were still knocking about afterwards, Holt and Coleman were mixing with supporters. Really good atmosphere that you simply would never find at a Championship ground where it is all geared up for hospitality, plastic glasses and £4.50 pints.

Its not so much seeing them as a threat but interesting to see what such a small and limited club can do with a bit of imagination and proactive thinking. They know they're up against it big-style in trying to compete with Rovers and Burnley on the doorstep so are thinking outside the box and are trying different things. At Rovers it just seems to be groundhog day with what is offered.

• Like 2

• Moderation Lead
1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

There’s 3 people on my Facebook, Rovers fans, or so I thought.

All three are now at Stanley every game, plus some aways. One of their little lads is decked out in the kit. You’d never know they ever were Rovers fans. Bizarre, but it did unnerve me slightly...

A lad I went to school with (Rovers fan) and his Dad (Scouser, So Liverpool fan)

both season ticket holders at Stanley this season. Seen a few other Rovers going to watch Stanley this season. Makes me cringe a bit tbh if they’re watching them instead of Rovers. If Rovers have no game it’s fair enough like. 

Edited by K-Hod
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

A lad I went to school with (Rovers fan) and his Dad (Scouser, So Liverpool fan)

both season ticket holders at Stanley this season. Seen a few other Rovers going to watch Stanley this season. Makes me cringe a bit tbh if they’re watching them instead of Rovers. If Rovers have no game it’s fair enough like. 

Question is “why?”

Waggott is probably oblivious

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

never said that they don't do special offers tho. so firstly gets your facts right and read what I posted. 

I posted the price it would cost on the nights I would go. THAT IS WHAT I POSTED!!!

I don't see the problem taking kids to night games as most kids are awake to past kick off and full time whistle.

@Biz posted the special offers we offer and different schemes the other day so I am not going over old ground again 

Its only the Rovers who dont do offers to attract customers.

Agree kids should go to night games unless parents are over protective. Used to love night games then walking home to Darwen via the chippy with my Dad.

Stay up late watching Rovers plus bag of chips was more important than worrying about getting up for school. Memories ! 

2 hours ago, Hasta said:

We were all talking civilly about Tesco and Asda and then this appears. 

Firstly, I never said you did say that did that, so check your facts right and read what I posted before you start losing it and posting in CAPS.

Gumboots posted the standard Vue prices (which is just £8.99 at Bolton cinema out of interest) and I just said that I never paid that as I got special offers from Vue through various sources. The point being that Vue want to get more people attending so have a standard price and actually REDUCE it rather than increase it on the day. But for some reason you then replied to me started telling me people work midweek and also about how you don't like putting love into your life on Tuesdays and Wednesdays !!

So, please, lose the attitude you unnecessarily have in the first two lines of your post as it just drags the board down. 

As for taking kids to night games, on of our party has taken his 6 year old lad to the QPR and Rotherham games. Do you think on a school night he should take him to Ewood and get home after 10.30 ?

You drag the board down your attitude towards me. 

Answer to your question Yes I do. 

27 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Do Stanley put a surcharge on their tickets on matchday? 

In a word no. I have been to three home games recently and for two of them bought tickets less than an hour before the game. Last Saturday was different as they advised fans to buy them earlier as they were expecting a sell out. I walked past their fanzone on Saturday and heard the artiste singing Hey Jude accompanied by dozens of Yorkies and Stanley supporters without the merest hint of bother. Stuart Caley would have had kittens.

1 hour ago, meadows said:

Pal at the cricket in summer was telling me he knows about 8 long time dyed in the wool Man Utd fans who have given up STs at Old Trafford and started going on Stanley regularly. They have come to prefer the lack of hassle, cost, demands to buy tickets for cup games etc & prefer the simplicity of rolling up locally, having a pint or two, no parking/travel issues etc 

I read a great article by John Nicholson yesterday which kind of put forward good reasons why that might be happening. It’s on Football365

Yes I read that yesterday, very good piece

17 hours ago, JHRover said:

Accrington Stanley today are repeating last season's trick of handing out free Stanley shirts to all Primary school kids in Hyndburn. Among them being primary schools in Rishton.

Proactive. Rishton is a Rovers area (similar distance to BBurn as it is to Accrington) yet I'd like to know when the last time Rovers did anything with primary school children in Rishton.

Without wanting to appear 'threatened' by Accrington Stanley they are clearly making sustained efforts to lure in young children from across Hyndburn who would traditionally have been Rovers or Burnley supporters. It might not work much but then again it might.

Follow Andy Holt on twitter and the cost of the shirt initiative last season was around 20,000 quid if I remember rightly, so for them to be doing it again looks like it was successful in what they wanted to achieve by it. I presume most of the cost can be written off as promotional/advertising .

Also notice this season there are a few more local companies all involved in it , from coach firms transporting the kids to Stanley's ground, to employees from local business helping out on the day .

@Biz At a rough estimate 10,000 Santa hats , printed  would be about 4200 USD  (about 3300 quid) delivered inc import charges, obviously direct from China and ordered 6 month ago (container shipping)*

Do not know if it would increase season ticket sales that much but clubs over here include membership packs with the season tickets (memberships). This season Perth's included embroidered baseball cap, bumper sticker and scarf inside a printed boot bag. You pick them up at the first few home games with a voucher that comes with your membership card /printed lanyard.  See plenty of kids wearing the baseball hats/ scarfs at the game and a large number of adults. Bootbag makes an ideal first aid kit holder for the car :)

The included merchandise is pretty decent quality, but purchased in bulk would expect it to cost no more than 20 AU (approx 11.30 GBP), probably less ., but worth much more in perceived added value to a season ticket. Pretty sure the stuff in the pack is member exclusive and can not be bought in the club shop

Different situation here as the club have to go all out to attract home support, besides fighting for market share against other codes , as you can imagine with the distances involved away support is extremely small (nearest other  A League club is 1,600 miles away.) and often run events in towns cities outside the Greater Perth  area in a 100+ mile radius, mainly north and south as there is basically sod all east  and ocean west

With the new turnstiles Rovers have introduced perhaps the move to online matchday tickets is on the cards? .Much like concert tickets , Here you have to buy them from ticketmaster (5 dollar fee) you can then download them  to your phone, or print them and scan it at the ground , or you can pick the tickets up at the venue or a ticketmaster outlet.

Relevant to Rovers ?, in some ways  if the idea is to boost home support fairly relevant, but obviously there is the advantage of not  a number of other clubs close by.

Edited by perthblue02
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, gumboots said:

Sale did a 24hr Black Friday deal yesterday on tickets for a match in the New Year.

What a good idea that would be for a festive home fixture maybe like the one on NYD at Ewood even if it was just in one stand.

Weekend only sale first come first served 1000 ten quid tickets in the Riverside for WBA !

Why not ?

Or buy one full price get entitled to another for a tenner so that maybe those going and buying anyway bring an extra so nobody is losing out really.

Edited by tomphil

19 hours ago, david brent said:

I’ve read today about Accy Stanley distributing over a 1000 shirts to Hyndburn school children. That’s what happens when you have a canny local man in Andy Holt running their club. As much as I admire how he runs Stanley I share the same concerns as the posters above - Stanley are a threat to our dwindling catchment area. 

Rovers should be ruthless about this and should be targeting these traditional blue and white places. Hyndburn is a load of administrative cr@p anyway - Knuzden is Blackburn and yet falls under Hyndburn. Rishton and Ossy are still just about Rovers supporting towns but the club need to do more to protect this given the rise of Burnley and Stanley.

Someone mentioned above there is an EFL gentleman’s rule that a club shouldn’t encroach into another borough. If that’s true it’s ridiculous. Again the borough boundaries should be ignored. Rovers wouldn’t target schools in Edgworth and Belmont as they are Bolton Wanderers supporting villages despite being in Blackburn borough.

Unfortunately this is what happens when you get somebody running the show who doesn’t understand the town, the fanbase, the traditional catchment area etc. John Williams did. 

Not only did they get free Stanley shirts the kids got four free kids tickets to attend the games with a PAYING adult. Not all their parents will take up the offer but its there ..some will and in doing so will increase Stanleys attendance and the possibility of those going maybe returning in the future. Nothing worse than a pestering kid ..I want to go I want to go ! My cousin a devout Burnley season ticket holder is already under pressure from his daughter because " everyone else is going dad " !

As I said thirty odd pages earlier on this thread ..start with the schools ….brainwash them at an early age!

• Like 4

We are in the country’s busiest region for professional clubs and there are three others within 10 or so miles. Within east Lancs we have a PL club and a club like Stanley offering something different, ‘authentic’ what ever you want to call it. 

The club has got extremely complacent and unlike Burnley who can afford to, with our limited fanbase, we can’t and we need to get proactive and fast.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

We are in the country’s busiest region for professional clubs and there are three others within 10 or so miles. Within east Lancs we have a PL club and a club like Stanley offering something different, ‘authentic’ what ever you want to call it. 

The club has got extremely complacent and unlike Burnley who can afford to, with our limited fanbase, we can’t and we need to get proactive and fast.

This for me is one of the biggest points in attendance dropping, the eye has massively been taken off the ball on attracting people through the door.

Customer loyalty (fans are customers, I hate to say but plenty of our followers in years gone by were PL fans not necessarily Rovers) does not lend itself to blindly following a brand. Everybody will always look for a better deal be it car insurance, supermarkets or mobile phone contracts, do Rovers offer something out with of the 90 minutes that stands up to the local competition?

Accy Stanley have gone down the route of having a £30 day out, £20 ticket and the rest in beer with good quality ales at £2 a pint and £1 after a win, I know a good few lads who I know used to go to Ewood see this as a better option for their hard earned cash than spending sometimes £27 (lets not start on the surcharge!) on a ticket then circa of £4 for a fosters at Rovers. 

As Matt says whilst Burnley are in the PL they will sweep up “customers”, but at the same time their fanzone has good quality beers at reasonable prices and the golden goose of PL football. 

I started going to Rovers as they gave handfuls of tickets to my primary school in the early 90’s is this an avenue that is still used, if not why not? As others have previously said is any sort of transport laid on? As a kid I used to get on a bus at the Boars Head in Accy as my parents didn’t go to the match, this pub doesn’t exist anymore and my parents wouldn’t have trusted me to get on multiple buses could the club run free/ cheap buses from nearby towns that will allow kids to go without parents?

Talking from personal experience that bus allowed me to see my heroes in the 90’s and had me buying season tickets until last season, my brother too! If you can’t get the parents get the kids is my biggest advice. 

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, cesus said:

This for me is one of the biggest points in attendance dropping, the eye has massively been taken off the ball on attracting people through the door.

Customer loyalty (fans are customers, I hate to say but plenty of our followers in years gone by were PL fans not necessarily Rovers) does not lend itself to blindly following a brand. Everybody will always look for a better deal be it car insurance, supermarkets or mobile phone contracts, do Rovers offer something out with of the 90 minutes that stands up to the local competition?

Accy Stanley have gone down the route of having a £30 day out, £20 ticket and the rest in beer with good quality ales at £2 a pint and £1 after a win, I know a good few lads who I know used to go to Ewood see this as a better option for their hard earned cash than spending sometimes £27 (lets not start on the surcharge!) on a ticket then circa of £4 for a fosters at Rovers. 

As Matt says whilst Burnley are in the PL they will sweep up “customers”, but at the same time their fanzone has good quality beers at reasonable prices and the golden goose of PL football. 

I started going to Rovers as they gave handfuls of tickets to my primary school in the early 90’s is this an avenue that is still used, if not why not? As others have previously said is any sort of transport laid on? As a kid I used to get on a bus at the Boars Head in Accy as my parents didn’t go to the match, this pub doesn’t exist anymore and my parents wouldn’t have trusted me to get on multiple buses could the club run free/ cheap buses from nearby towns that will allow kids to go without parents?

Talking from personal experience that bus allowed me to see my heroes in the 90’s and had me buying season tickets until last season, my brother too! If you can’t get the parents get the kids is my biggest advice. 

Just in case anyone from the Accrington area is not aware, as Cesus  pointed out there WAS a bus from The Boars Head that ran directly to Ewood on match days but as he says The Boars Head is now shut but the bus did continue and  still runs on match days from The Sydney St Working Mens Club on Sydney St.

Bus leaves about an hour and fifteen minutes before match day kick off time and is away pretty quick after the game dropping off at certain points on the way home back to the The Sydney St. Ideal for teenagers like Cesus says whose parents may struggle to take them or others who may want a drink and don't want to drive and park up etc. Seats are bought on a first come first served basis.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HowieFive0 said:

Not only did they get free Stanley shirts the kids got four free kids tickets to attend the games with a PAYING adult. Not all their parents will take up the offer but its there ..some will and in doing so will increase Stanleys attendance and the possibility of those going maybe returning in the future. Nothing worse than a pestering kid ..I want to go I want to go ! My cousin a devout Burnley season ticket holder is already under pressure from his daughter because " everyone else is going dad " !

As I said thirty odd pages earlier on this thread ..start with the schools ….brainwash them at an early age!

Ive said the same. KIds for pounds. Family ticket for 42 pounds(2 adults and 2 kids, adult ticket 20 pounds and kids ticket a pound)

1 hour ago, cesus said:

I remember going with my school a couple times a season. The school at the time was Peel Park Primary School. 

26 minutes ago, HowieFive0 said:

Just in case anyone from the Accrington area is not aware, as Cesus  pointed out there WAS a bus from The Boars Head that ran directly to Ewood on match days but as he says The Boars Head is now shut but the bus did continue and  still runs on match days from The Sydney St Working Mens Club on Sydney St.

Bus leaves about an hour and fifteen minutes before match day kick off time and is away pretty quick after the game dropping off at certain points on the way home back to the The Sydney St. Ideal for teenagers like Cesus says whose parents may struggle to take them or others who may want a drink and don't want to drive and park up etc. Seats are bought on a first come first served basis.

a couple of friends catch the bus and I think its 3 pounds. 

Its a good point