BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Attendances

Neal

Ipswich are now expecting 21-22,000 for their game v West Brom tomorrow night on Sky. Almost 10,000 more than they've been getting on home games recently. They're bottom of the league and are on a record run of home games without a win.

So why are all these people suddenly turning up for a live TV game?

Only one answer and it is very simple - £10 tickets and a good promotion of the offer.

Edited by JHRover

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

Ipswich are now expecting 21-22,000 for their game v West Brom tomorrow night on Sky. Almost 10,000 more than they've been getting on home games recently. They're bottom of the league and are on a record run of home games without a win.

So why are all these people suddenly turning up for a live TV game?

Only one answer and it is very simple - £10 tickets and a good promotion of the offer.

I think the acid test will be how many turn up to the game after that.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

I think the acid test will be how many turn up to the game after that.

Yeah, I'm not suggesting that they are going to get that every week. Next game they'll probably be down to 14000 again with less than that actually turning up to watch.

Point was that even when the football is dross and the club is struggling a bit of creativity with prices and publicity and the people will come, even to evening games live on TV, whereas maintain the same old £25+ pricing structure and they won't.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Franky said:

close the thread

Waggott has confirmed they are only interested in cash and there wont be any special deals. Waste of 48 pages.

Chaddy was right... buy a half season ticket or you are not a proper fan.

Biz was right... Premier League is the only way to increase attendances.

The rest of us were deluded.

No. The rest of us prioritise crowd size over crowd income, whereas it’d be somewhat unusual for a CEO of any business to prioritise volume over cash. And if bigger crowds were correlated with winning games and gaining more income that way, Leeds and Newcastle would be perennially top 6 in the Premier League

• Backroom

From the Fortress Ewood days of 2007/8, up to 2013 (my last ST) the cost of my ST doubled (moving from student to adult age bracket also a factor) and price never bothered me.

I reckon if they did exactly the same again (marketed around our ‘do or die’ squad), they could easily build attendances back up to at least a regular 18k fans, possibly over 20k.

The habit is easy to get if it’s available. If they just tried something like:

£50 junior

£100 concessions

£150 adults

Then increase prices by £5/10/15/year for about 5 years and you’re golden. I also think the price of a half ST should be only very slightly over half the price of a full one (and available for BOTH halves of the season).

Edited by Mike E

8 hours ago, Mike E said:

From the Fortress Ewood days of 2007/8, up to 2013 (my last ST) the cost of my ST doubled (moving from student to adult age bracket also a factor) and price never bothered me.

I reckon if they did exactly the same again (marketed around our ‘do or die’ squad), they could easily build attendances back up to at least a regular 18k fans, possibly over 20k.

The habit is easy to get if it’s available. If they just tried something like:

£50 junior

£100 concessions

£150 adults

Then increase prices by £5/10/15/year for about 5 years and you’re golden. I also think the price of a half ST should be only very slightly over half the price of a full one (and available for BOTH halves of the season).

It certainly worked for Huddersfield a few years ago along with the continued good management of the team obviously and positivity around the club.

Works at Bradford as well although the sheer size of place almost guarantees big gates for low prices regardless of the product on the pitch.

Just a note, but I have noticed that Sky are showing live games at 3pm on both Boxing Day and New Years Day, Now, as these days do not fall on a Saturday does this give them another loophole and mean that Sky can show all the other 3pm games on those days on the red button?

Edited by MarkBRFC

29 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

Just a note, but I have noticed that Sky are showing live games at 3pm on both Boxing Day and New Years Day, Now, as these days do not fall on a Saturday does this give them another loophole and mean that Sky can show all the other 3pm games on those days on the red button?

So that will be our home fixture v WBA also live on Sky. Then the club turns round at £25+ an adult and wonders why people aren't flocking in their droves.

44 minutes ago, only2garners said:

That "loophole" has been there all season. The only games they can't show via the red button are those games they select for live TV anyway and any game on a Saturday afternoon at 3pm.

Actually this is wrong,

I have just been pointed to this when I asked the same thing on Twitter..

The English Football League will stream matches live online in the UK and Ireland for the first time on Tuesday, with 31 games shown in all in midweek.

The service, for midweek games outside of bank holidays and not shown live on Sky Sports, will cost £10 per match.

Fans will be able to view a game via their team's digital platform iFollow, used by 58 of the 72 EFL clubs.

Overseas supporters have been able to stream every non-televised game online since the start of last season.

Seven of the 10 midweek Championship games will be available for streaming online, including Ipswich's trip to Derby on Tuesday and Wigan's visit to Stoke on Wednesday.

Aston Villa, Leeds and Sunderland are among the 14 EFL clubs not signed up to iFollow, but will have the opportunity to deliver a similar service.

Matches played between 14:45 and 17:15 on Saturdays will continue to be blocked from live streaming.

Which Championship games can I stream online this midweek?

Seven matches will be available to watch via club websites (kick-off 19:45 BST unless stated):

Derby v Ipswich (Tue)
Rotherham v Hull (Tue)
Sheffield Wednesday v Millwall (Wed)
Blackburn v Reading (Wed)
Norwich v Preston (Wed)
Bolton v Birmingham (Wed, 20:00 BST)
Stoke v Wigan (Wed, 20:00 BST)
When are broadcasting restrictions in place in the UK?

There are three instances where EFL games can not be streamed online in the UK and Ireland:

Between 14:45-17:15 on a Saturday
On Bank Holidays (eg Boxing Day, Easter Monday)
When games have been selected for live television coverage on Sky Sports

Where else can I follow EFL matches?

If you cannot get to the ground, here are some ways of following EFL games:

Watch via Sky Sports' red button service (midweek Championship games only - there are eight rounds of midweek fixtures during the 2018-19 season)
BBC Sport provides live text coverage of every Championship game, while you can follow your team on your BBC local radio station

So looks like the Boxing Day, New Years Day, and Easter Monday fixtures won't be available on the red button.
Edited by MarkBRFC

Fair enough Mark. My general point applies but obviously they have sensibly blocked out bank holidays.

Whilst out walking just now I was thinking Sky would be challenged to show them all on one day anyway. I assume the fact that midweek games are now split between Tuesday and Wednesday is for Sky's benefit, so they only need 6 crews rather than 12. On Boxing Day they will have the added resource needed to cover 3 live Premier League games as well as 12 Championship games so I assume they would not have shown them all even if they were allowed to.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

They always show one game at 3pm on Bank Holidays. 

Ours against Newcastle at Ewood in relegation season (Mulgrew free kick) was shown.

I hope that it is still the case this season.

Was that not a tea time kick off?

9 hours ago, only2garners said:

Fair enough Mark. My general point applies but obviously they have sensibly blocked out bank holidays.

Whilst out walking just now I was thinking Sky would be challenged to show them all on one day anyway. I assume the fact that midweek games are now split between Tuesday and Wednesday is for Sky's benefit, so they only need 6 crews rather than 12. On Boxing Day they will have the added resource needed to cover 3 live Premier League games as well as 12 Championship games so I assume they would not have shown them all even if they were allowed to.

Crews? Some of the games look as though it’s one person with a handy-cam and laptop like they have at reserve games. No replays. Outsourced freelance commentary. I’d say your instinct is the right one.

11 hours ago, MarkBRFC said:

So looks like the Boxing Day, New Years Day, and Easter Monday fixtures won't be available on the red button.

Fortunately Leeds are in Sky almost weekly so Boxing Day is sorted.