BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Attendances

Neal

38 minutes ago, gumboots said:

If its the original 15th Jan date I can't go. I'd love to as Id rather watch a cup match than some dire league game and some of the best matches I've seen in recent years have been cup ties. I love night matches too - the dark outside the stadium makes you feel more of the all in together type feeling that adds to excitement. However, long standing meeting arranged for 15th and I don't feel I can escape it

How do you know the league games are dire?

Why should a cup game against a poor PL side be exciting? It could be equally as bad as the supposed dire league games.

Edited by Paul
  • Like 2

I don't know league games will be dire that's true but many are dreary affairs with neither side wanting to lose and so one or both often sets up originally to defend and hope for at least a draw, whereas the cup offers a result you know counts on that one occasion. And Newcastle were pretty dire on Saturday. But the result still mattered there and then rather than as one of a series. 

Don't get me wrong. I like watching league games too. I was just trying to explain what it is about the cup that some of the people on here were talking about miss out on by not bothering with cup games. I couldn't believe the crowds a couple of years ago when we went on that little run and beat premier league opposition and I wanted to try to explain why I like the cup. And you never know. There's always that one in a million chance you might win the thing!

• Like 1

We just don’t sell tickets for standard cup ties, we haven’t for years.

Even a quarter final against Millwall, semi final against Villa etc had around 8,000 home fans.

Largely because a majority of season ticket holders don’t bother.

We need to put Oxford to one side, total one off event.

1 hour ago, gumboots said:

If its the original 15th Jan date I can't go. I'd love to as Id rather watch a cup match than some dire league game and some of the best matches I've seen in recent years have been cup ties. I love night matches too - the dark outside the stadium makes you feel more of the all in together type feeling that adds to excitement. However, long standing meeting arranged for 15th and I don't feel I can escape it

Oh, hang on, we'll contact the Club and see if we can rearrange the date for you.

?

I fear the crowd will be slightly embarrassing. As many Toon fans willing to make the 2hr 45 min journey down to support their team at bargain prices as home fans, many of whom probably won't be able to be arsed to cross the road because they won't want to spend a tenner if the game is on tv etc. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, gumboots said:

I don't know league games will be dire that's true but many are dreary affairs with neither side wanting to lose and so one or both often sets up originally to defend and hope for at least a draw, whereas the cup offers a result you know counts on that one occasion. And Newcastle were pretty dire on Saturday. But the result still mattered there and then rather than as one of a series. 

Don't get me wrong. I like watching league games too. I was just trying to explain what it is about the cup that some of the people on here were talking about miss out on by not bothering with cup games. I couldn't believe the crowds a couple of years ago when we went on that little run and beat premier league opposition and I wanted to try to explain why I like the cup. And you never know. There's always that one in a million chance you might win the thing!

That's what football is all about. A lot of average matches, some dire ones and the occasional great game. It makes no difference what the competition is.

There's every reason to suggest Newcastle will set up to contain Rovers safe in the knowledge they have a great chance of nicking it in the 89th minute.

If you don't go you don't get to see Charlie score direct from a corner or a superb team goal from Bradley Dack. There's a lot of rough to go with the smooth.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Oh, hang on, we'll contact the Club and see if we can rearrange the date for you.

?

I fear the crowd will be slightly embarrassing. As many Toon fans willing to make the 2hr 45 min journey down to support their team at bargain prices as home fans, many of whom probably won't be able to be arsed to cross the road because they won't want to spend a tenner if the game is on tv etc. 

Both paragraphs match exactly what I was thinking.

Too many people have excuses for not going when really they should just admit they don't want to. I've no problem with those who simply don't want to go. I'm tired of listening to those who want to tell us how it's all the club's fault and how wonderful it is to drive to the Trafford Centre to watch RL because it's easier to park.

A bit earlier the club was being criticised for not having tickets on sale today. Five minutes later whoops the club have put tickets on sale.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Paul said:

Too many people have excuses for not going when really they should just admit they don't want to. I've no problem with those who simply don't want to go. I'm tired of listening to those who want to tell us how it's all the club's fault and how wonderful it is to drive to the Trafford Centre to watch RL because it's easier to park.

A bit earlier the club was being criticised for not having tickets on sale today. Five minutes later whoops the club have put tickets on sale.

Yep and you can bet if the tickets weren't on sale for £10 pounds, this thread would be a  hive of activity with people up in arms. 

It seems lots of fans just don't want to go and are just looking for excuses. When they don't have one, they just say nothing. 

I think it was me who 'criticised' the club for not having put tickets on sale immediately after the game on Saturday, to my pleasant surprise the club has done so without yet knowing when the game is going to be taking place. Good move.

I certainly wasn't trying to use that as an excuse for non-attendance on my part, just stating my belief that as with season tickets the sooner they are on sale the more are likely to be sold.

Once again, I don't think Rovers have the ability to charge more than £10 for this game even if they wanted to, so I'm not sure its time to celebrate that decision. It is good and sensible pricing but nevertheless the price both clubs agreed to ahead of the first fixture.

Yes it will be something of an embarrassment if away numbers are similar or greater than home numbers. Not my job to tell people how to spend their cash and free time but I really find the mentality bizarre in how people are quite happy to turn up every week for run of the mill league games but wont make the extra effort to get a cheap ticket to watch an attractive Cup tie. I'll never understand that mentality. Likewise I'd bet that a decent percentage of those in the away end at Newcastle on Saturday won't buy a ticket for the home game.

2 hours ago, Paul said:

I went to Newcastle at the weekend. I happen to have a meeting I can't avoid on the 15th Jan. I'd rather go to the cup game at Ewood but I'm obliged to attend this particular very dull and unnecessary meeting for a number of reasons I won't bore you with. If the match is moved, not for my convenience but for a TV audience, then I will go if at all possible. 

And if the RL was a dig at me, I have never been to a rugby league game in my life. 

• Like 2

Like some have said, I think we will struggle too match our league attendance in terms of home fans. The draw tonight might have an impact on the attendance, if we were going in to the game knowing a win would set up a game against the dingles then we’d sell a few more for sure. If this game is televised also, even at £10 a ticket I’d be surprised if we shifted 10k. Prove me wrong blues. 

1 hour ago, gumboots said:

I went to Newcastle at the weekend. I happen to have a meeting I can't avoid on the 15th Jan. I'd rather go to the cup game at Ewood but I'm obliged to attend this particular very dull and unnecessary meeting for a number of reasons I won't bore you with. If the match is moved, not for my convenience but for a TV audience, then I will go if at all possible. 

And if the RL was a dig at me, I have never been to a rugby league game in my life. 

None of which actually addresses the point. As for RL it was you who explained in detail how you could get a better offer and it was easier to watch Sale Sharks (I think that's the team near the TC) than get to Ewood. Whether you went or not is irrelevant - the comparison was made. It's not a dig at you it's a rather strange, in my view, comparison you made when explaining another reason for not attending.

People either want to support the team or not. You're one of many who have a litany of reasons not to go. It boils down to your original comment that league games are dire. You don't want to watch what you perceive as dire football. Most football fans watch average football all their lives and if they're lucky their club gets its' moment in the sun.

How do you make the judgement when you don't attend??

51 minutes ago, Paul said:

None of which actually addresses the point. As for RL it was you who explained in detail how you could get a better offer and it was easier to watch Sale Sharks (I think that's the team near the TC) than get to Ewood. Whether you went or not is irrelevant - the comparison was made. It's not a dig at you it's a rather strange, in my view, comparison you made when explaining another reason for not attending.

People either want to support the team or not. You're one of many who have a litany of reasons not to go. It boils down to your original comment that league games are dire. You don't want to watch what you perceive as dire football. Most football fans watch average football all their lives and if they're lucky their club gets its' moment in the sun.

How do you make the judgement when you don't attend??

I wouldn't waste your breath Paul. Gumboots even inserted a get out clause for if the game is actually moved for TV thereby nullifying her excuse for not attending saying she will attend "if at all possible." A few years ago she was quite active in trying to encourage people not to attend Ewood and I also remember her boasting about how she was going to Chorley or somewhere similar to watch a match as opposed to attending Ewood and pointing out how much more enjoyable it was because you could get a drink and consume it from your seat or touchline. In more recent times as results have improved she's treated us to all manner of different excuses why she can't attend individual matches, not that I understand why she thinks anyone is remotely interested one way or the other whether she can or can't attend a particular match or not, that's entirely her prerogative and good luck to her if she does attend. The point is everyone could make excuses as to why they can't go, if you want to go badly enough, you will do and generally work the rest of your work and social engagements in around it.

As regards this particular game I  would say that it's a fairly exciting tie against biggish Premier League opposition and I'd have thought for the floating fan looking for their once or twice a year fix at discounted prices this match offers potentially far more entertainment value than the remainder of the battle to finish 16th in the League.

I'm not sure if it will be perceived that way though, especially if it's on TV.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

20,000?!

For a game probably on BBC1?

If there’s 8k home fans there I’d be surprised.

The reason Rotherham in the league will have more home fans than Newcastle in the cup is because a majority of season ticket holders don’t bother buying a ticket for cup ties, simple as that.

I was just thinking with a big away following, we might push 12k home tickets. However, then again, Swansea, Stoke and West Ham game son past few seasons and there were bugger all home fans on, and they were all weekend fixtures, not sure what prices were like. Rovers fans don't see them as big games because most of them watched top flight teams week in, week out for years.

Settle down gentlemen. There are lots of posters on this site who don’t go to games for various reasons but have an opinion. Maybe gb has fallen out of love with the club. Not sure it warrants a witch hunt.

• Like 6

Why are people still online fencing about attendences?  Just enjoy the game if you do go but realise that the Rao's and Steven Kean was the modern day 1960 cup final ticket fiasco. If they are lucky your grandchildren may see the exorcism, just like we did from 92 to 2010. But until then the current attendance levels are the status quo. And as far as the FA Cup goes why should fans bother when football clubs management treat it with utter contempt?

Edited by Rover_Shaun

Just now, Rover_Shaun said:

Why are people still online fencing about attedences?  Just enjoy the game if you do go but realise that the Rao's and Steven Kean was the modern day 1960 cup final ticket fiasco. If they are lucky your grandchildren may see the exorcism, just like we did from 92 to 2010. But until then the current attendance levels are the status quo. And as far as the FA Cup goes why should fans bother when football clubs management treat it with utter contempt?

You’ve illustrated precisely why Waggott has underestimated Blackburn folk.

4 minutes ago, Rover_Shaun said:

Why are people still online fencing about attedences?  Just enjoy the game if you do go but realise that the Rao's and Steven Kean was the modern day 1960 cup final ticket fiasco. If they are lucky your grandchildren may see the exorcism, just like we did from 92 to 2010. But until then the current attendance levels are the status quo. And as far as the FA Cup goes why should fans bother when football clubs management treat it with utter contempt?

I agree.

But how unlucky for the same town club to have two such poisonous episodes in 50 years!

I think the most recent, unfortunate series of events is much, much more poisonous then our cup final ticket scandal.

To continue your own metaphor, I fear this will require more than even Fr Merrin could provide.

Sale sharks Paul play rugby union and play it rather well, not rugby league. I seem to annoy Rev rather out of proportion to anything I actually say. Put me on ignore if you like Rev. I haven't fallen out of love with Rovers, Stuart, or I wouldn't be here. I just fell out of love with attending Ewood when a number of factors came together. I'm currently working on getting back to enjoying watching my team live. I made a start at St James where I remembered how at home I generally feel among Rovers fans. I'd go to the replay if I could, but the meeting I have is not one I can miss. I'll doubtless make another few matches before the end of the season. I won't buy a season ticket for well documented reasons but that doesn't mean I won't be there. 

And before you ignore me, Rev, I've never been to a match at Chorley, just as I've never been to a rugby league match. 

Edited by gumboots

2 minutes ago, gumboots said:

Sale sharks Paul play rugby union and play it rather well, not rugby league. I seem to annoy Rev rather out of proportion to anything I actually say. Put me on ignore if you like Rev. I haven't fallen out of love with Rovers, Stuart, or I wouldn't be here. I just fell out of love with attending Ewood when a number of factors came together. I'm currently working on getting back to enjoying watching my team live. I made a start at St James where I remembered how at home I generally feel among Rovers fans. I'd go to the replay if I could, but the meeting I have is not one I can miss. I'll doubtless make another few matches before the end of the season. I won't buy a season ticket for well documented reasons but that doesn't mean I won't be there. 

And before you ignore me, Rev, I've never been to a match at Chorley, just as I've never been to a rugby league match. 

Funny, I was always so much more at home with "Mowbray had a dream" than "On, on. on, colours" or the quite nauseating "Swing Low, sweet chariot"....

It was a different kettle of fish, when watching my own kids. and having to witness the difference between the culture of kids' rugby from kids' football, which by and large I found ugly and embarrassing-the parents, anyway!

Thing is, I don't find liking rugby makes any difference to how I feel about watching other sports. There are things I like about rugby like the relative respect for the ref and their clear use of the tmo .  And I like the raw power, and to some extent brutality of it. And yes, I like standing with opposition fans with a drink in my hands. We do not sing Swing low, not at Sale. I like rugby union and always have. That however, does not detract from the way watching Rovers makes me feel. Rugby doesn't leave me feeling bad for the rest of the week if Sale lose. A Rovers loss has me grumpy for days even if I haven't seen it. Listening to final score or whatever has my heart racing when they say there's been a goal at Ewood and I don't know which team has scored. Rovers have my heart whilst others have my interest. But sometimes the thing you love hurts you and it can take a long time to get over it. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, gumboots said:

Im not going to put you on ignore gb but yes I do find much of what you post irritating,  it now seems you managed to get to Newcastle for a game which I do find a little odd when you have previously cited travel difficulties as one of your reasons for not going to Ewood and had me feeling quite sympathetic towards you.

I hope you can make it to as many home games as possible in future but if you can't I'm not particularly interested in hearing the reasons why.

• Like 1

It so happens Rev that my son lives in Newcastle and wanted someone to go to a match with him so we made a weekend of it. He couldn't or at least preferred not to go with friends there as they're all Newcastle fans. I have never claimed travel difficulties going to Ewood although parking is now more of a problem and means I don't really want to go on my own as I often used to when I had a pass for that car park near the travellers park. If I can't persuade my husband or daughter to go with me to Ewood then it's more of an issue now than I used to find it. I'm working on getting my husband back to matches too. He was more reluctant to attend than I was for a number of years , and I think he still is. But like me, he enjoyed being at the match on Saturday so he may attend the replay with our daughter if I can't go. We're getting there. We didn't stop going overnight so we're not necessarily going to start going regularly overnight either. 

Edited by gumboots

42 minutes ago, gumboots said:

It so happens Rev that my son lives in Newcastle and wanted someone to go to a match with him so we made a weekend of it. He couldn't or at least preferred not to go with friends there as they're all Newcastle fans. I have never claimed travel difficulties going to Ewood although parking is now more of a problem and means I don't really want to go on my own as I often used to when I had a pass for that car park near the travellers park. If I can't persuade my husband or daughter to go with me to Ewood then it's more of an issue now than I used to find it. I'm working on getting my husband back to matches too. He was more reluctant to attend than I was for a number of years , and I think he still is. But like me, he enjoyed being at the match on Saturday so he may attend the replay with our daughter if I can't go. We're getting there. We didn't stop going overnight so we're not necessarily going to start going regularly overnight either. 

Hope you have luck in persuading your husband to go. I agree parking near the ground is an absolute joke, Far from accomodating Rovers it's almost as though the Council don't want a football club in the town.

As things stand, despite the warning signs to the contrary, up to press it' has still been free to park on the McDonald's /Aldi car park opposite the ground if that's any help.

Send me the fine if they start ticketing cars on the day you decide to go down! ?