BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Attendances

Neal

Hmmm, a bold claim to make though isn't it?

How can they possibly tell how many people would fancy going or not?

All over twitter Newcastle fans were doing a #boycottblackburn thing over Ashley, and still 33000 home fans turned up.

I reckon at least double the 1500 "expected" could turn up for the replay.

If Waggott has been told they only expect 1,500 to turn up then lets see if we allocate them upstairs in the Darwen End rather than downstairs. Bet we don't.

Good job Newcastle aren't expecting 6,000+ or kick off would have to take place at noon on Tuesday. Bad news for those working and BT Sports but safety comes first!

• Like 1

They'll sell way more than 1.5k I reckon seeing as they've a lot of exiled Geordie nation down this way as well as quite a few bandwagoners from the Keegan era. I know about 20 Newcastle fans in the Chorley area so I think a lot will pitch up on the day so probably be in the 3k+ range.

6 hours ago, arbitro said:

I know of long standing season ticket holders who miss night games because they work until 5.30 or 6 and the mad rush to get home, eat and get ready is just too much hassle. The cost to them is immaterial. I also know some who have childminding issues. I just don't get why anybody thinks they have the right to criticise non attendance when the accuser simply doesn't know anybody's personal circumstances.

That's fine obviously but I think you know full well  no - one is criticising anyone for a genuine logistical reason why a particular person can't make an evening kick off. I'm talking about people who could go but wont, choosing instead to save a tenner and watch it on TV.

When I was on the Fans Forum years ago there were an astonishing number of people on the database who'd bought a ticket in home areas at some point. I can't remember the exact numbers but it would certainly have filled the ground more than twice over. The "can't make an evening kick off" problem will apply to some but certainly not all of them.

One thing's for sure, if there is a miserable home turn out for this one it certainly blows out of the water the notion that cheap(er) prices are the way to fill the ground going forward.

Quite a few casual fans may buy a ticket for this, certainly more than a League game, but that will be offset if a majority of ST holders don’t.

Generally speaking, as long as we amble around mid table in the Championship crowds won’t substantially improve.

They will rise incrementally if/when the team improves. With only the Premier League seeing a big jump.

But that doesn’t mean; you cant try offers, that you price match tickets for second tier football at £30, that you can’t offer a young person ST, that you can’t get season tickets on sale until nearly June, that prices can keep increasing by £50 a season etc

Edited by Mattyblue

1 hour ago, only2garners said:

Steve Waggott told us at the Fans Forum on Monday that he had spoken to Newcastle and they had told him they expected to sell about 1,500.

Very surprised at that John, Id have thought the Darwen End would be rammed at a tenner. Maybe the Toon fans take the view that if the fat Spanish waiter isn't going to take the comp seriously and field a skeleton side then they won't either.

In the unlikely event there was a better than usual take up from Rovers fans for this one off event of around 16/17k home fans and only 1.5k away fans I think that would give us a big psychological advantage.

Edit: Come on everyone, imagine this is a Bank Holiday **** up in the sun against Oxford and not a midweek televised Cup tie on a cold January night.

Edited by RevidgeBlue

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

Very surprised at that John, Id have thought the Darwen End would be rammed at a tenner. Maybe the Toon fans take the view that if the fat Spanish waiter isn't going to take the comp seriously and field a skeleton side then they won't either.

In the unlikely event there was a better than usual take up from Rovers fans for this one off event of around 16/17k home fans and only 1.5k away fans I think that would give us a big psychological advantage.

We were too Simon, including Steve, although he did talk about the apathy he saw at St James Park on Saturday. He compared it to Elland Road on Boxing Day - two crowds pretty much the same size but wildly different atmospheres.

Maybe Newcastle's managers are out of touch and they will sell plenty more but presumably they have a better idea than you or I.

53 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

They will rise incrementally if/when the team improves. With only the Premier League seeing a big jump.

And that is the way it's been for as long as I can remember..only success and a return to the Prem will boost our home crowd.

12-15,000 max for the Newcastle game.

• Like 1

• Backroom

Against West Brom I noticed the upper tier wasn’t quite full but there were a handful of people scattered around in the lower tier of the Darwen End, do we need to keep it open for disabled supporters? 

Would that also mean we still need to open concessions and such down there?

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

You know 20 Newcastle fans in Chorley?!

Wht didn’t they just jump on our 90s bandwagon instead?

There was an exiled Geordie supporters club based there back in the day and my mate next door when I was growing up latched on to them being a barcode because of his families roots. A lot don't go up there now they congregate in a pub when there's a big game on but most attend whenever they are anywhere down here and will likely pay on the day if possible.

Like I said some are exiled or have some connection up there but there seems to be a few younger ones from the local area so you'd have to ask them. Black and white shirts were always quite well represented on the 5 a side pitches we  used to play in Clayton le Woods late 90's, must've been Keegan's TV rant that hooked em !

Edited by tomphil

It will be Sky’s fault.

They were ‘The Entertainers’ remember!

They even used to have a ‘Newcastle Goal of the Month’, think that was shown on Goals on Sunday. Used to drive me Dad absolutely crackers!

Edited by Mattyblue

20 minutes ago, Tom said:

Against West Brom I noticed the upper tier wasn’t quite full but there were a handful of people scattered around in the lower tier of the Darwen End, do we need to keep it open for disabled supporters? 

Would that also mean we still need to open concessions and such down there?

Away disabled fans have to go in the lower tier, which is less than satisfactory. I've no idea what they do about concessions. I think in the Norwich game they had a few ordinary fans down there as well - i think it was cheaper than opening up the other end of the top tier as there were already disabled fans in the lower tier.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

All a bit of a dogs dinner!

Has Waggott explained to the FF why small followings go upstairs?

And why large ones that could actually spur on the opposition don’t start in the upper too?

I’m not his biggest fan but Waggott can’t win on this one. You feel away fans should be in the lower tier first. I very strongly feel the opposite.

Home advantage is king. Allardyce knew it and got Williams to put away fans upstairs and give the whole of the lower to Rovers fans.

• Backroom
26 minutes ago, only2garners said:

Away disabled fans have to go in the lower tier, which is less than satisfactory. I've no idea what they do about concessions. I think in the Norwich game they had a few ordinary fans down there as well - i think it was cheaper than opening up the other end of the top tier as there were already disabled fans in the lower tier.

That makes some sense, it was just how they were scattered around I thought maybe they released the bottom tier for sale at some point 

No Stu, I think it doesn’t really matter if a few hundred from Ipswich, QPR etc are downstairs.

But followings of say 3000+ to 6000, the kind of followings that really could help the away team should fill the upper first, with the overspill downstairs, instead of massed ranks in the lower.

But what actually happens is, the few hundred go upstairs, the larger 2000 to 5000 followings start in the lower, chipping away at said home advantage  - seems the wrong way round to me.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

No Stu, I think it doesn’t really matter if a few hundred from Ipswich, QPR etc are downstairs.

But followings of say 3000+ to 6000, the kind of followings that really could help the away team should fill the upper first, with the overspill downstairs, instead of massed ranks in the lower.

But what actually happens is, the few hundred go upstairs, the larger 2000 to 5000 followings start in the lower, chipping away at said home advantage  - seems the wrong way round to me.

I bet the linesman disagrees - even with a few hundred.

Although I take your point. They should always start in the upper and overspill into the lower - regardless of numbers.

Pretty sure away clubs with two tiers do that to us.

6 hours ago, only2garners said:

Steve Waggott told us at the Fans Forum on Monday that he had spoken to Newcastle and they had told him they expected to sell about 1,500.

How did you go with the on the day ticket surcharge?