BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Attendances

Neal

1 hour ago, blueboy3333 said:

800 people being unnecessarily ripped off every game. Shameful.

As long as they keep paying, Waggott will keep charging.

Wonder how many of those 800 have booked earlier next time (the official line of what Waggott wants), how many have been so disgruntled they stopped going, and how many don’t really care about the surcharge?

You have to blame those people who happily pay it week in week out as the reason Waggott charges.

41 minutes ago, magicalmortensleftpeg said:

If only they were able to buy their tickets earlier at a cheaper price. 

Shamefull? Think we’re getting slightly carried away.

So what's the purpose of the surcharge then?

If they put £2 on a replica shirt on match day would you find that reasonable?

Edited by Hasta

7 hours ago, Stuart said:

As long as they keep paying, Waggott will keep charging.

Wonder how many of those 800 have booked earlier next time (the official line of what Waggott wants), how many have been so disgruntled they stopped going, and how many don’t really care about the surcharge?

You have to blame those people who happily pay it week in week out as the reason Waggott charges.

Looking at away programmes this season it would appear that a surcharge on tickets bought on matchday is quite common.  At Leeds, tickets are £5.00 more if bought on the day of the game.  Sheffield United charged £2.00 more for tickets bought on the day of the game.  Even at Millwall, you need to be a club member and buy your ticket before the day of the game if you want to make a £3.00 saving.

Looking at the minutes of the fans forum it would appear that supporters don't have a problem with the surcharge and are happy to pay it.

Reading the latest FF minutes, Waggott obviously expected the surcharge to encourage early purchases, he is ‘surprised’ that it hasn’t, so it’s a failed policy and should be scrapped. Doesn’t look like those present picked him up on that.

What I don’t get is how poorly they promote the 1875 Club, as a member not only do you not pay a surcharge if you turn up at 2pm, you also get £3 off the standard price.

They bury that fact in the small print of the advertisements, when it should be the 1875 price they actually promote, reel folk in. 

Edited by Mattyblue

2 hours ago, Hasta said:

So what's the purpose of the surcharge then?

If they put £2 on a replica shirt on match day would you find that reasonable?

I simply wouldn’t buy a shirt on a match day...

I can’t justify why it’s there and I don’t necessarily agree with it. But equally, to suggest that 800 fans have been ripped off (by £3..) when many could just have bought cheaper tickets earlier in the day, is a bit much. 

I don’t see it as a major issue. If you don’t want to pay it then buy tickets earlier. 

2 hours ago, Parsonblue said:

Looking at the minutes of the fans forum it would appear that supporters don't have a problem with the surcharge and are happy to pay it.

Yeah, I think most people are happy to be needlessly and gratuitously fleeced of their small change.

Or they just tolerate it due to the flexibility of going at the last minute.

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

Reading the latest FF minutes, Waggott obviously expected the surcharge to encourage early purchases, he is ‘surprised’ that it hasn’t, so it’s a failed policy and should be scrapped. Doesn’t look like those present picked him up on that.

Correct. But he won’t because it’s making a couple a grand per match and nobody is really complaining. In fact they are “happy” to pay. Probably tipping out their pockets to give more loose change, boiled sweets, and lint.

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

What I don’t get is how poorly they promote the 1875 Club, as a member not only do you not pay a surcharge if you turn up at 2pm, you also get £3 off the standard price.

They bury that fact in the small print of the advertisements, when it should be the 1875 price they actually promote, reel folk in. 

Why oh why would they not promote this way for fans to save some cash? Actually, thinking about it, those 800 people every home game have probably already seen the small print but prefer to hand over their cash for nothing in return. Happy as larks!

We shouldn't look at the ticket surcharge in isolation. Its really about the overall failure to apply initiatives to attract new supporters, lure old fans back  and make occasionals regulars.

The standard of football is the main key of course but, outside that, there are many things the club could do which in the longer term would bring bigger crowds and thus more revenue.There have been many really good suggestions on here but they don't seem to have caught the ear of those who make the decisions. It would also help propel us into the Premier League whereupon all revenue problems are resolved.

This sort of thinking is absent and its symbolised by the ticket surcharge which actually penalises any fans who decide to go at the last minute.

The thing is, there isnt quantitative data as to how much the scheme of offering surcharges makes or loses the club because we dont know how many other people have decided against attending due to the raised price on the day. Saying x people still pay the surcharge therefore it isnt putting people off is factually incorrect, it doesnt prove anything as no one has argued that the surcharge has or will cause a total absence of matchday sales. 

The whole "we like to know in advance how many people are going" argument goes in the face of any sort of desire to get as many people in the ground as possible, and makes it seem like loads of people deciding last minute (which in many occasions will be the case) is an inconvenience rather than a bonus.

I dont really get the argument that it is "fleecing" fans as obviously if people are willing to pay extra theyd be stupid not to charge it in a way. The whole crux of the argument centralises around those people who are offput on the day by the increase, not around those who do still go in spite of it.

It also doesnt justify it that other clubs also charge it. I find their policy equally as puzzling, except I dont really care as it doesnt affect us.

1875 has two main ‘benefits’

1) Priority on away tickets for season ticket holders who buy additional 1875 membership. Now moot as we are back in a league where every away game reaches general sale. 

2) Savings on home tickets - £3 off, plus no surcharge.

I imagine season ticket holders taking advantage of  1) made up the bulk of the membership. Most didn’t bother with it this season.

So, if the club isn’t going to really push its benefits as a cost saver for home matches, just scrap it.

21 hours ago, HowieFive0 said:

And there you go ..exactly what me and others said months ago . Start with the kids and get them hooked. 

22 hours ago, JHRover said:

Coventry doing a repeat of their 'Community Day' by selling tickets at £5 in advance and have donated 12,000 to local schools. Impressive.

Sadly there is no evidence to support the belief free or cheap kids tickets grows the longterm support. Yes it makes them Rovers for life but today's society is so mobile many leave the area, move on to other interests. If it worked today the ground would be full of 30+ year old adults

During the 90s/early 00s I knew 18 kids who attended with parents. Of those 2, possibly 4 are ST holders today.

By all means fill the ground with kids and parents, I've no issue with it but the impact is very short-term - literally a single match. There are many barriers to this being successful. Every child needs a minimum of one interested adult; school groups need transport, supervision, DBS etc. To really build support it needs to be every match, one offs achieve little.

In my opinion Rovers best work in this area was the Saturday club of the 90s. Deliver kids to Witton Park or BRIC at 10.00, collect at 2.30 from BRIC with match ticket.  All for, I think, £10 and relieving parents to shop, clean, chill or whatever. ST holders were discounted to around £5.

Edited by Paul
  • Like 1

You look back to the club in the 90s and yes having a truly great side ensured they were often pushing an open door, but they never rested on their laurels.

Supporters clubs set up outside east Lancs, links to schools across the region,  school tickets, buses put on, Saturday clubs, soccer schools and on it went.

We will never get close to replicating the numbers of that period purely because of the product on the pitch. But that doesn’t mean we just give up and hope the 8-10,000 just renew their season ticket, whilst pushing up prices and chasing sponsors, which seems to be the overriding approach at the moment.

Accy Stanley are proactive, we seem anything but, we have 20,000 empty seats, what’s to lose?

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Paul said:

Sadly there is no evidence to support the belief free or cheap kids tickets grows the longterm support. Yes it makes them Rovers for life but today's society is so mobile many leave the area, move on to other interests. If it worked today the ground would be full of 30+ year old adults

During the 90s/early 00s I knew 18 kids who attended with parents. Of those 2, possibly 4 are ST holders.

By all means fill the ground with kids and parents, I've no issue with it but the impact is very short-term - literally a single match. There are many barriers to this being successful. Every child needs a minimum of one interested adult; school groups need transport, supervision, DBS etc. To really build support it needs to be every match, one offs achieve little.

In my opinion Rovers best work in this area was the Saturday club of the 90s. Deliver kids to Witton Park or BRIC at 10.00, collect at 2.30 from BRIC with match ticket.  All for, I think, £10 and relieving parents to shop, clean, chill or whatever. ST holders were discounted to around £5.

Yep that's a good idea although whether the club would get involved in running coaches is debatable. Rovers used to subsidise I think many of the buses ran from in and out of the Blackburn area but they knocked that on the head hence the few that do run are independent.

As for your views on the "get into schools and get um hooked young " I agree a lot may only go the one game but I know quite a few 30 yr olds who got hooked and are now taking their own kids . Its not an overnight thing ..its long term and if some do continue to go then its a success.

11 hours ago, magicalmortensleftpeg said:

I simply wouldn’t buy a shirt on a match day...

I can’t justify why it’s there and I don’t necessarily agree with it. But equally, to suggest that 800 fans have been ripped off (by £3..) when many could just have bought cheaper tickets earlier in the day, is a bit much. 

I don’t see it as a major issue. If you don’t want to pay it then buy tickets earlier. 

But some people decide on the day if they are going to go or not.

My dad did that for the last 15 years he was alive. He wasn't the most well bloke but didnt live too far away, so if it was raining or he didnt feel well he wouldn't go. If it was a nice day and he felt OK he would. 

My brother now adopts the same policy but without the health issues. I'm sure they are not the only ones.

Neither of them would not go because of the £3 surcharge , but it is unfair they would have to pay it for no reason whilst others don't.

It doesn't affect me, you or many others on here. However I'm worried the club is taking money off fans for no reason and with no justification. 

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 4

Local supporters groups are fantastic things for football clubs. They keep folk involved, especially outside the borough of BwD. They can sort home travel, away travel, Q&As, prize nights etc. Most clubs of any average size have many active groups.

Ours have largely withered on the vine. All part of the general malaise and complacency  around the club, that I think was noticeable even before Venky’s. The ones that have survived are usually down to the independent drive of certain individuals - Birdy and the Ewood Blues, as an example.

Now Rovers are contactless there is no reason I can see why people have to queue for a ticket then walk round to the turnstile they are entering from. Surely a few turnstiles which have a facility to print tickets (or a system of allocating seats) can be utilised.

Anything is worth trying.

• Like 1

Just now, arbitro said:

Now Rovers are contactless there is no reason I can see why people have to queue for a ticket then walk round to the turnstile they are entering from. Surely a few turnstiles which have a facility to print tickets (or a system of allocating seats) can be utilised.

Anything is worth trying.

Or simply send an email with a PDF and the facility to print off your own ticket as you do with airline tickets. 

9 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Local supporters groups are fantastic things for football clubs. They keep folk involved, especially outside the borough of BwD. They can sort home travel, away travel, Q&As, prize nights etc. Most clubs of any average size have many active groups.

Ours have largely withered on the vine. All part of the general malaise and complacency  around the club, that I think was noticeable even before Venky’s. The ones that have survived are usually down to the independent drive of certain individuals - Birdy and the Ewood Blues, as an example.

How many independent supporters groups are still in existence? Ewood Blues who run a coach to away games, BRAG who only came about in protest against the club, London Rovers (or whatever their official name is) which seems to be quite successful and well supported and meets with the club. I know there's a few based overseas such as the New York Rovers, but in terms of those in the UK there really aren't many for a club of Rovers' size.

I notice that Wolves embarked last season on a programme of encouraging Wolves supporter groups to set up and become affiliated to the club. They offered them all sorts of perks if they created new branches and groups. As you say - comes down to complacency. Only now have we got anything that vaguely resembles a proper structure after 7-8 years without one. We're in an extremely competitive region and industry here and you need to be on the ball, proactive and ambitious to get ahead of rivals.

As I said yesterday, PNE who have nothing that we don't have, run club operated shuttle buses into Leyland etc. to try and bring in supporters from those areas to their home games. Those are just as much Rovers areas as Preston yet at the last update Waggott was 'looking into it'. A club of our size/stature/history should have well established successful shuttle arrangements into surrounding areas like Hyndburn, South Ribble and the Ribble Valley but it seems to me we're falling well short.

Too much focus on our literal backyard - BwD - and not enough on the surrounding regions where a huge - and probably increasing - element of our support lives.

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

What becomes sadly apparent is how much Rovers have lost touch with their fan base since Venkys came crashing in.We've lost around 10,000 fans and you wonder why,we have regressed so much on and off the field of play its untrue!

It would be interesting to know how many of those 10,000 were “football fans” attracted to Rovers by cheap ST deals.

Where the club missed a trick, probably when Venkys rocked up and spent more time backing Kean against fans than trying to build bridges, was not to turn those “football fans” into Rovers fans. To make it personal and make the club rather than the opposition important to them. This is the real lasting legacy from Kean and his kronies. I honestly believe more would have stick around for a Walker Trust/John Williams Rovers in the Championship.

But ultimately the hearts and minds weren’t won over to help survive relegation in spite of Venkys. Those fans who cared the most to act were largely alienated, but the biggest loss was the silent group who voted with their feet’s. Ironic that those who cared the most passionately were vilified the most and now we pine for the deserters to return.

Venkys have two choices to take the club forward and bring fans back - assuming they won’t sell (still my preferred option): the short term risky attempt to throw money at it and get promoted in the next couple of seasons; or the long game, literally a generation or two away: win the hearts and minds of the next generation. Get them in the door cheaply and keep them involved during the difficult 18-25yo stages. This required imagination from the new senior management team when it comes to prices. The longer Waggott is here the longer it will be that we trundle along milking the 12k... 11k... 9k...

8 hours ago, HowieFive0 said:

Or simply send an email with a PDF and the facility to print off your own ticket as you do with airline tickets. 

You can do it with cricket matches at Old Trafford and with rugby tickets at Sale. No reason why you can't do it at Rovers