BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Attendances

Neal

4 hours ago, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

What becomes sadly apparent is how much Rovers have lost touch with their fan base since Venkys came crashing in.We've lost around 10,000 fans and you wonder why,we have regressed so much on and off the field of play its untrue!

Thing is that there were plenty of games in the prem era under Hughes where we got 16-18k gates and that was with one of the most competitive teams we’ve had.

At the moment we seem to be getting 12-13k home fans a week. I don’t think we’ve ever had a core support much over 20k.

The damage done by Venky’s is obviously immeasurable but the reality is that we have always struggled to attract over 18k regular home fans since the early 2000s. 

There was a marked drop in crowds starting in the 2002/03 season, I remember the opening game of the season around 2005 against Fulham had around 16,000 on.

Then the ‘Taking Back Ewood’ campaign of 2008 saw season ticket sales soar and hit around 20,000.

Though sales declined a little in subsequent seasons, we still generally had 20,000+ home fans in the ground each week until the relegation season - not sacking Kean immediately after surviving at Wolves obviously not helping season ticket sales.

A further steep drop in season ticket sales occurred after relegation, after the scumbag was inexplicably kept on.

It is fair to say we lost ‘10,000 season ticket holders’, as sales of 17,000/18,000 or so from pre Venky 2010, hit a nadir of 8,000 or so under Coyle.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

There was a marked drop in crowds starting in the 2002/03 season, I remember the opening game of the season around 2005 against Fulham had around 16,000 on.

Then the ‘Taking Back Ewood’ campaign of 2008 saw season ticket sales soar and hit around 20,000.

Though sales declined a little in subsequent seasons, we still generally had 20,000+ home fans in the ground each week until the relegation season - not sacking Kean immediately after surviving at Wolves obviously not helping season ticket sales.

A further steep drop in season ticket sales occurred after relegation, after the scumbag was inexplicably kept on.

It is fair to say we lost ‘10,000 season ticket holders’, as sales of 17,000/18,000 or so from pre Venky 2010, hit a nadir of 8,000 or so under Coyle.

It’s quite heartbreaking when you see it written out like that. :( 

• Like 2

There was a fair old price rise on STs in that summer before that Fulham opener and I think it was around the time ticket prices everywhere began to get really daft. Me and my gf at the time ours combined went up nearly 100 quid that's a hell of a whack.  Definitely played a part in the crowds falling away then I remember we played Everton at home just after that with a similar amount of home fans and they didn't fill the bottom tier of the DE.

Blackburn fanbase is price sensitive probably more than most others I don't care what anyone says, you've got to combine a good team, top level of football AND a feelgood factor to get anywhere with big prices. One offs are one offs whether cheap or dear and people will go if they want or not as the case may be but over all it is and always has been a price sensitive fanbase.

Absolutely bang on about Kean even with the hit of relegation just keeping that vermin cost us two thousand or more who'd have stayed if they'd got rid, no doubt no doubt whatsoever.

Edited by tomphil

That Fulham game was live on TV, there were about 300 Fulham fans and it was one of the most beautiful nights weather-wise you could ever wish for.

But yes, you're absolutely right about prices and crowds falling away.

(And we saw 2 of the best goals ever scored at Ewood!)

30 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Was it not 3pm ?  I do remember it being a belting afternoon weather wise, as for Fulham I think you've overestimated lol

I can’t remember a time Fulham have brought more than literally 50 fans too Ewood :lol: How lucky were those 50 that day too see them two crackers from MGP and Tugay though. 

• Like 1

As an example, Wolves have dozens of affiliated branches in this country, loads abroad too.

Now Wolves do have a very big fanbase across the midlands, but there is no reason why we can’t replicate it on a smaller scale - have a Darwen Branch, Ribble Valley, South Ribble etc.

https://www.wolves.co.uk/fans/supporter-clubs/#

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 1

On ‎20‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 00:08, Butty said:

I can’t remember a time Fulham have brought more than literally 50 fans too Ewood :lol: How lucky were those 50 that day too see them two crackers from MGP and Tugay though. 

A fantastic cross from Kuqi led to the MGP goal, Great volley though. I wasn't MGP's biggest fan but he was a great striker of the ball with either foot.

7 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

As an example, Wolves have dozens of affiliated branches in this country, loads abroad too.

Now Wolves do have a very big fanbase across the midlands, but there is no reason why we can’t replicate it on a smaller scale - have a Darwen Branch, Ribble Valley, South Ribble etc.

https://www.wolves.co.uk/fans/supporter-clubs/#

We had this when we were in the Premier League. We even had a coach travelling from Gloucester to every game.

Mogga in today’s LT...

“It should be a really good game and I hope the fans recognise the importance of this game and we get decent numbers in the crowd.”

Hope he’ll be in Waggott’s ear too. 

As only an increase in season ticket holders will see the increase in crowds we all want (with a few offers till May, of course)...

• Like 1

On ‎25‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 05:21, Mattyblue said:

Mogga in today’s LT...

“It should be a really good game and I hope the fans recognise the importance of this game and we get decent numbers in the crowd.”

Hope he’ll be in Waggott’s ear too. 

As only an increase in season ticket holders will see the increase in crowds we all want (with a few offers till May, of course)...

Still stuck at around 12,300 home fans. You'd think they'd show a bit of imagination and put a ticket deal on or summat. 

An away support of 1200 put in the lower tier.

Is that the end of the upper tier experiment for the sub 2k followings now?

They'd have been getting giddy at the thought that Hull might bring 2k plus that's all.

• Like 1