BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Attendances

Neal

2 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Not sure with Bank Holidays as our NYD game with West Brom wasn’t.

Not sure but Leeds was on Boxing Day.

It looks like some were and some were not on NYD.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/7065212/sky-sports-red-button-championship-new-years-day-live-stream-watch-ifollow/

Edited by Hasta

Not read all the thread, but just one general point.....

The club can’t and won’t move forwards by trying to attract lapsed fans to come back to watch championship football. They might attract some fans back for Premier League football, but once fans stop attending regularly, generally speaking they don’t return. There’s only one way to increase the fan base and that’s by attracting youngsters to Ewood for Prem football. Then you have a lot of them for life.

I applaud any attempts to attract people down to Ewood though, but know you’re audience.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, meadows said:

What’s an « anticipated low attendance game »? Other than Leeds and Preston and maybe a couple more for which a few more turn out on the appeal of a sense of occasion, home support seldom wavers from between 11,000 and 12,000. You can hardly sell season tickets and then turn round and say: ‘Oh, by the way for everybody else we’ll sell you tickets at a tenner apiece for 16 games.’

I can see where you're coming from, possibly should've said 'anticipated lower than average attendance' - maybe against the 3 or 4 teams who have the lowest away following.

On 10/02/2019 at 18:58, Tom Stinny said:

Rovers won't hit higher attendance figures unless they get into the premier league or there's a game with something genuinely riding on it like last year's last game.

With trying to attract kids lets be honest I couldn't see many kids turning round and saying I'd rather watch Bradley Dack over a De bryne or a Pogba it isn't how kids work unless they are generation supporters who follow on from family.

If Rovers want higher attendances. Invest majorly and get back into the premier league. There's very little other choices to that. 

Correct. On the pitch investment has always and always be the solution.

• Like 1

On 10/02/2019 at 23:40, chaddyrovers said:

I never said anything about through Venkys terrible ownership did I? it has nothing to do when them. 

But people who have been season ticket holders year after year should be reward for standing by the club through the good and bad times. 

Yet again Stuart, I have suggested few ideas in the past. A weekend game season ticket for people who cannot make mid week games for various reasons. Kids season tickets for 1 pounds and 10 game season ticket.  

Correct. These are the easiest customers to sell to. Do jt.

If Rovers want more people to drink at the ground pre and post match then they have to make the product better.

Plastic cups, awful beer and expensive prices or walk across the road and get proper beer in a glass for less money?

If they're happy to carry on charging those prices that's up to them but I won't be buying anything, and I'm sure the same applies to a lot of others.

If they put decent ale on, let me drink from a glass and charge me a reasonable price then I'd be there before every home game. Not having the mick taken out of me though.

When I've been to Brighton they try to get away fans to drink in the ground rather than elsewhere and to try and do that they bring in a barrel of local ale from whichever club they are playing. In our case it was Wainwrights from Thwaites.

There's irony for you - I could get a pint of Thwaites cask beer in the ground at Brighton but can't do at Ewood.

Any reason for that other than one club makes an effort and the other doesn't?

Edited by JHRover
  • Like 5

58 minutes ago, JHRover said:

If Rovers want more people to drink at the ground pre and post match then they have to make the product better.

Plastic cups, awful beer and expensive prices or walk across the road and get proper beer in a glass for less money?

If they're happy to carry on charging those prices that's up to them but I won't be buying anything, and I'm sure the same applies to a lot of others.

If they put decent ale on, let me drink from a glass and charge me a reasonable price then I'd be there before every home game. Not having the mick taken out of me though.

When I've been to Brighton they try to get away fans to drink in the ground rather than elsewhere and to try and do that they bring in a barrel of local ale from whichever club they are playing. In our case it was Wainwrights from Thwaites.

There's irony for you - I could get a pint of Thwaites cask beer in the ground at Brighton but can't do at Ewood.

Any reason for that other than one club makes an effort and the other doesn't?

I remember a few years ago, might have even been during the premiership years they had a wainwright stand at the back of the Riverside. I often went and had 3 or 4 pints, then a pie. The stand disappeared after not too long and I haven’t bought a pint at Ewood since as it’s all over priced rubbish. 

I do often think that having a proper set up of decent beer in the fan zone would be profitable, Burnley do it, Stanley do it. We seem to just offer beer that has the highest mark up and nothing on the real ale front. Our nearest geographical rivals seem to have deals with Bowland Brewery for good beer, why can’t we?

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, cesus said:

I remember a few years ago, might have even been during the premiership years they had a wainwright stand at the back of the Riverside. I often went and had 3 or 4 pints, then a pie. The stand disappeared after not too long and I haven’t bought a pint at Ewood since as it’s all over priced rubbish. 

I do often think that having a proper set up of decent beer in the fan zone would be profitable, Burnley do it, Stanley do it. We seem to just offer beer that has the highest mark up and nothing on the real ale front. Our nearest geographical rivals seem to have deals with Bowland Brewery for good beer, why can’t we?

3 Bs Brewery a mile up the road. I'm sure someone at Rovers could drive up every other Thursday, buy a few barrels for Blues Bar and the Fan Zone and put them on.

If you wanted to make a bit more effort get them to produce a 'Rovers Ale' like Bowland do with Stanley and Burnley.

All comes down to effort, which is sadly in short supply at Ewood, and is the main reason I have no sympathy when Waggott and the rest plead poverty and bemoan income streams. Show me some imagination and I'll appreciate it.

• Like 8

Just now, meadows said:

Great. So our supporters bar is run on the same business lines as a the pubs in a vibrant European capital which people flock to for stag/hen do’s, international sporting events and major concerts as well as the places of historical interest. 

Should only be a matter of time till it picks up a bit then.  

I was just answering the question.

Turns out that gun was loaded!

Edited by S8 & Blue

6 minutes ago, JHRover said:

3 Bs Brewery a mile up the road. I'm sure someone at Rovers could drive up every other Thursday, buy a few barrels for Blues Bar and the Fan Zone and put them on.

If you wanted to make a bit more effort get them to produce a 'Rovers Ale' like Bowland do with Stanley and Burnley.

All comes down to effort, which is sadly in short supply at Ewood, and is the main reason I have no sympathy when Waggott and the rest plead poverty and bemoan income streams. Show me some imagination and I'll appreciate it.

Exactly, lack of effort and imagination seems to flow when it comes to the Ewood experience. 

I know a lot of people don’t bother with a pint but I’d say a hell of a lot of people who don’t attend have found other things to do on a Saturday and a chunk of them may well go and enjoy a few beers. If you can enjoy a few decent quality beers at the football before and after the game with friends or family the game kinda falls into the background and the “day out” is the important thing. 

I actually think the club should be trying small things to bring back hundreds of season ticket holders just as much as the headline cut price ticket deals to tempt thousands of walk ons. 

I went in Jack’s Kitchen on Saturday. Thought it was generally a good set up and it was packed, so they are obviously doing something right.

However, the drink on tap is just bizarre. No hand pulled ale and the only ’cider’ is that monstrosity ‘dark fruit’.

Get a different guest ale on each week and they’d flog a load!

As someone who likes a pint of Strongbow I don't get the obsession everywhere now of only having dark fruit on tap and if your lucky some piss with a fancy name masquerading as a similar alternative to the real stuff.

Happened in several pubs round our way now and more than likely just an excuse to cash in on something dearer which falls down because hardly anyone actually drinks it so they are loosing out anyway.

Come to think of it you could apply similar logic to football tickets ......

I'm someone who goes in Blues pre and post-match, so I just wanted to clear a couple of things up.  It's £1 to get in for ST holders, free if you pay up front for the Blues membership.  The prices go up at 1pm and then back down at 6pm.  They have a guest real ale on every game, although this often runs out not long after the game.  They don't use plastic glasses.

I like it in there.  The beer prices aren't too far off standard pub prices I think.  They show the early and late footy, and there's lots of screens so you can watch it pretty much wherever you sit/stand.  It's fairly full from 1:30/2pm pre-match and for an hour or so post-match - indeed, you sometimes struggle to get in for a while after games as they operate a one-in-one-out policy - so it's obviously popular.

One criticism I would have is that the food is over-priced, and whoever puts the menu together seems to think he's running some fine dining establishment rather than a football bar, but that aside it's pretty good imo.  I also like the bands they have been getting in to perform recently after the games.

On 12/02/2019 at 17:39, Scotty said:

I'm someone who goes in Blues pre and post-match, so I just wanted to clear a couple of things up.  It's £1 to get in for ST holders, free if you pay up front for the Blues membership.  The prices go up at 1pm and then back down at 6pm.  They have a guest real ale on every game, although this often runs out not long after the game.  They don't use plastic glasses.

I like it in there.  The beer prices aren't too far off standard pub prices I think.  They show the early and late footy, and there's lots of screens so you can watch it pretty much wherever you sit/stand.  It's fairly full from 1:30/2pm pre-match and for an hour or so post-match - indeed, you sometimes struggle to get in for a while after games as they operate a one-in-one-out policy - so it's obviously popular.

One criticism I would have is that the food is over-priced, and whoever puts the menu together seems to think he's running some fine dining establishment rather than a football bar, but that aside it's pretty good imo.  I also like the bands they have been getting in to perform recently after the games.

CHOICE There's one cask ale pump I think - it might be the only one in use in the whole ground. There are/were hand pumps in every bar in the Riverside which haven't been used for years.

PRICES The prices go up to fleece the fans. £3.80 for Fosters is not standard pub prices in East Lancs plus £1 entry or £50(?) per season membership for Blues Bar.

FOOD The pies are ok. Can't comment on the rest of the menu.

BANDS/ARTISTS A good move which other clubs adopted long ago. We used to be a pioneering club eg Radio Rovers, RoverVision. Nowadays we follow other clubs.

Edited by MCMC1875