BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Attendances

Neal

If comes down to Waggott, unlike Williams he just doesn’t seem to get the demographics of the area.

Though a look on his season ticket database should make it pretty clear where more and more of our fans reside, and it isn’t the town of Blackburn.

I often hear people bemoan our location in a 'small' town like Blackburn with its relatively low incomes and large ethnic minorities who traditionally haven't gone to football matches.

But that neglects the 'greater' Blackburn area with the same population again - Chorley, Leyland, Bamber Bridge, Clitheroe, Whalley, Haslingden, Accy, Ossy, Rishton, Harwood, even Lancaster - all areas with traditionally large numbers of Rovers supporters living in them, all within 20-30 minutes drive of Ewood. People who have either never lived in Blackburn or haven't for many years and almost certainly wouldn't return given the way Blackburn has gone in recent years. Suicide to ignore these areas.

As before it is either bone idleness or some strange 'agreement' they have with rival clubs to not encroach on 'their' territory. Mental.

3 hours ago, JHRover said:

I often hear people bemoan our location in a 'small' town like Blackburn with its relatively low incomes and large ethnic minorities who traditionally haven't gone to football matches.

But that neglects the 'greater' Blackburn area with the same population again - Chorley, Leyland, Bamber Bridge, Clitheroe, Whalley, Haslingden, Accy, Ossy, Rishton, Harwood, even Lancaster - all areas with traditionally large numbers of Rovers supporters living in them, all within 20-30 minutes drive of Ewood. People who have either never lived in Blackburn or haven't for many years and almost certainly wouldn't return given the way Blackburn has gone in recent years. Suicide to ignore these areas.

As before it is either bone idleness or some strange 'agreement' they have with rival clubs to not encroach on 'their' territory. Mental.

I remember getting free tickets to watch low-demand Rovers games from school in the early 2000s, and that was in Wigan!

No reason at all why we shouldn't target basically everywhere in Lancashire north of Bolton imo. 

Just now, Admiral Nelsen said:

I remember getting free tickets to watch low-demand Rovers games from school in the early 2000s, and that was in Wigan!

No reason at all why we shouldn't target basically everywhere in Lancashire north of Bolton imo. 

There was a supporters branch in Standish (Boar's Head?) for many years that organised travel to Ewood.

14 minutes ago, MCMC1875 said:

There was a supporters branch in Standish (Boar's Head?) for many years that organised travel to Ewood.

Without exaggerating, there is still a healthy number of at least nominal Rovers fans in that part of the world. Think the supporters club moved to the Dog & Partridge down the road  (which has since closed & reopened as a gun shop - the Dog & Cartridge!). 

You probably need to get as far as Chorley before you would class it as proper Rovers territory though. Can get to Ewood in 30 minutes, but then again you can say the same for the Manchester & Liverpool clubs, and even Bolton. Also goes to show why it's not surprising that even after their relative glory years, Latics have never been able to get much support. 

32 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

Without exaggerating, there is still a healthy number of at least nominal Rovers fans in that part of the world. Think the supporters club moved to the Dog & Partridge down the road  (which has since closed & reopened as a gun shop - the Dog & Cartridge!). 

You probably need to get as far as Chorley before you would class it as proper Rovers territory though. Can get to Ewood in 30 minutes, but then again you can say the same for the Manchester & Liverpool clubs, and even Bolton. Also goes to show why it's not surprising that even after their relative glory years, Latics have never been able to get much support. 

Agreed. In fact, in the 90's Rovers fans filled a 53 seater from Edinburgh to Ewood every game for many seasons. Not a single one of them attend now, the biggest reason being an event in November 2010. Some of them fly to Hamburg nowadays to watch St Pauli in the German 2nd Division.

Edited by MCMC1875
  • Like 1

They used to do tickets and travel I think for a tenner for some games from Lancaster Uni in the mid/late 90's and used to give away tickets in various student bars and night clubs.

The Prem though is a great attraction but sadly at home to Norwich in the Championship won't quite cut it for the floaters/neutrals.

Hey guys - long time lurker, first time poster. Not sure if this is the right place to post but think there’s a close enough nexus to ‘attendances’ to warrant it.

I’m a lifelong Rovers fan from Sydney who’s recently moved to London on the obligatory 2 year working holiday visa. I’m planning to visit Blackburn and hit up Ewood for the very first time for the game against Stoke in April. I’m excited but it’s obviously not great timing with the state of the season and, from what I’ve heard, Ewood’s atmosphere is about as exciting as that of a wake these days. 

Wanted your advice on where you’d recommend to sit? Both in terms of the atmosphere but also a decent view?

Thanks heaps!

Edit: Jesus Christ this Wednesdsy game has been woeful

Edited by SydneyRover92

45 minutes ago, SydneyRover92 said:

Hey guys - long time lurker, first time poster. Not sure if this is the right place to post but think there’s a close enough nexus to ‘attendances’ to warrant it.

I’m a lifelong Rovers fan from Sydney who’s recently moved to London on the obligatory 2 year working holiday visa. I’m planning to visit Blackburn and hit up Ewood for the very first time for the game against Stoke in April. I’m excited but it’s obviously not great timing with the state of the season and, from what I’ve heard, Ewood’s atmosphere is about as exciting as that of a wake these days. 

Wanted your advice on where you’d recommend to sit? Both in terms of the atmosphere but also a decent view?

Thanks heaps!

Towards the back of the BBE if you want a bit of atmosphere and a decent view. If you would like to quietly nap but also have a brilliant view when you're conscious then the top tier of the JW can't be beat.

I'd go in the BBE if I were you. 

@SydneyRover92for the best view I suggest the Jack Walker Lower as close to the centre, the tunnel, and as far back as you can get, row 14 is the back row - WO3 is probably the best you will get but there are sometimes seats in WO2. The Jack Walker Upper is a better view but I'm guessing no atmosphere these days. For atmosphere it would be the Blackburn End but personally I've never really enjoyed the view from there - the upper tier was great but that is closed now.

1 hour ago, SydneyRover92 said:

Thanks heaps!

Stay in the pub.

Just now, MCMC1875 said:

According to Preston Blue, Rovers are concerned about low home gates this season. Wigan gate last week was announced as 12,500. Actual fans through turnstiles was 8,200 Rovers plus 1,200 Wigan, total 9,400.

The football's shit and there's no atmosphere. There'll be a one less next season because I'm not spending £400 to watch dull dross and have Mowbray tell me it's actually brilliant. 

Always much lower actual crowds midweek, though the red button has exacerbated it.

However, generally what did they actually expect crowds wise? We’ve now around 10,000 season ticket holders, which is at the higher end of sales since 2012, even though they are now considerably more expensive. Personally I think crowds have held up very well considering.

We are a lower mid table side in the second division and we’ve suffered a near decade of stagnation, what are they seriously expecting? 

Nothing has improved on the pitch and in league position in those years, so why should crowds? Especially when there is little in the way of enticing offers, we are consistently months behind pretty much every club getting season tickets on sale and Ewood is a third rate experience that can’t even hold a candle to Accrington fecking Stanley!

Frightening how out of touch they are.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, MCMC1875 said:

According to Preston Blue, Rovers are concerned about low home gates this season. Wigan gate last week was announced as 12,500. Actual fans through turnstiles was 8,200 Rovers plus 1,200 Wigan, total 9,400.

They really just don't get it do they? Put prices up, put season tickets on sale late, shut home areas, move people around, move kick offs away from 3pm, surcharges, database only tickets, red button tv games, dreadful atmosphere at Ewood and mind-numbingly dull football. 

There you go - I've come up with just 10 reasons why crowds may be poor that could all quickly be reversed by Rovers if they were so bothered about it.

Yet here we are, nothing happening, groundhog day stuff. It will be the same dull stuff against Stoke in a few weeks.

• Like 5

On ‎15‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 09:19, JHRover said:

Still no season ticket news nor any suggestion there will be anytime soon. Meanwhile down at Forest folk are queuing outside their ticket office this morning to get their renewals in. Norwich have shifted more than 20,000. Numerous others have got them on sale, many 'without knowing what league they will be in'.

Meanwhile nothing from Ewood and I'd be surprised if there was anything before May. Then Waggott and co. have the brass neck to complain about the number of people buying.

Forest sold 4,000 on the first day.

With the dreadful run of form were hitting, the availability of Red button or streamed games, ridiculous and unnecessary changes to KO times, the awful atmosphere caused partly by the club insisting on alienating fans by shutting stands, I really think Mr Waggot and Co could well be in for a real shock this summer in terms of season ticket sales.  

• Like 5

On 16/03/2019 at 16:56, SydneyRover92 said:

Thanks heaps!

Whatever you do dont sit in the JW Upper. The view might be good but I felt young in there and I'm nearly 65

I'l stick up for the JW upper. Given that there's no atmosphere anywhere in the ground anymore apart from the top corner of the BBE, I'd rather be where the best view is.

If Ewood was rocking everywhere apart from the JW upper then I'd consider moving but I'm more than happy there (despite being mid twenties!).

10 hours ago, frosty said:

I'l stick up for the JW upper. Given that there's no atmosphere anywhere in the ground anymore apart from the top corner of the BBE, I'd rather be where the best view is.

If Ewood was rocking everywhere apart from the JW upper then I'd consider moving but I'm more than happy there (despite being mid twenties!).

You must be the exception age wise. Honestly I'm not sure how the people sitting near me got up there. They must have lift passes

• Like 1