BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Attendances

Neal

Just now, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

Reading their forums I doubt it very much!

I live in and amongst them unfortunately!

They've unsurprisingly been disenchanted this season to the point where i'll ask them who they've got tomorrow in the pub on a Friday, and they'll look back at me and say no idea. 

They don't care much for the football but the ones who like a good day out have seemed to check the fixtures after seeing the takeover, realising that the game is on Easter Monday, realising it's a good opportunity for a piss up!

They did the same with Wigan not so long ago and shifted a good 1000 or so on the day. Or so I was told, probably added an extra 0 on to it knowing them lot.

5 minutes ago, gumboots said:

I'm at a crunch match in French Ligue 2 between Lorient and Troyes who both currently occupy play off places. €18 for 2 adult tickets. Just turned up 2 hours before the match and bought tickets. That's the way to entice people in

Non Etienne Waggott taxe?

Edited by blueboy3333

1 hour ago, gumboots said:

I'm at a crunch match in French Ligue 2 between Lorient and Troyes who both currently occupy play off places. €18 for 2 adult tickets. Just turned up 2 hours before the match and bought tickets. That's the way to entice people in

Aye, 'tis cheaper in France, from experience at least. Paid about 12 euros for a lot of Lyon home games a few years ago when studying there. Behind the net but still.

Bon match !

• 2 weeks later...

Another Waggott gem last night 

‘Away revenue was below what was forecast’

We could’ve told you that in August, ‘negative brfcs’ leads the way again (oh and the Darwen End closure was for nowt then? Or just the excuse you needed...)

• Like 4

It'll take him a while to get to know the natives and how it rolls around Blackburn and some comparisons to Williams are plain daft at this stage but it took JW a while to get to grips with it.  He certainly wasn't saint John in the early days and even later circa 2005 ish he presided over a big hike in ticket prices that saw crowds drop despite signing Bellamy and the new found hope under Hughes.

He saw sense eventually so maybe SW will.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 1

David Conn‏ @david_conn 

Football support a modern, growing phenomenon in England: EFL declares record attendances at clubs across its 3 divisions, total crowds 18.3m, highest in 60 years, since 1958-59, an era before TV coverage.

Its also been pointed out to him that the huge clubs increasing capacity and well as some traditionally big supported city clubs dropping down the pyramid completely skew this and in truth if you scratch the surface of propaganda away the picture is startlingly different.

All it takes is some clubs outside the Prem who can fill or near fill their stadia to be having good seasons year on year i.e top of the champ becoming Prem x2.  Us ourselves boosted crowds in league 1, Sunderland will trump that home and away this time and the likes of Bradford City still hanging around in that league when the size of them they are a championship club in all but present position.

Propaganda like that is everything that is wrong with football it starts at the top of the Prem and finishes a third of the way down the championship in the eyes of the suits and that's only because of parachutes. 

• Like 2

Just now, tomphil said:

Its also been pointed out to him that the huge clubs increasing capacity and well as some traditionally big supported city clubs dropping down the pyramid completely skew this and in truth if you scratch the surface of propaganda away the picture is startlingly different.

All it takes is some clubs outside the Prem who can fill or near fill their stadia to be having good seasons year on year i.e top of the champ becoming Prem x2.  Us ourselves boosted crowds in league 1, Sunderland will trump that home and away this time and the likes of Bradford City still hanging around in that league when the size of them they are a championship club in all but present position.

Propaganda like that is everything that is wrong with football it starts at the top of the Prem and finishes a third of the way down the championship in the eyes of the suits and that's only because of parachutes. 

It's propaganda that the League rely upon to try and prove what a jolly good job they're doing. Never mind Bolton and Bury going bust, Coventry having no ground and Blackpool being run by an asset stripping convicted rapist. All they are interested in are numbers on a balance sheet. Record sponsorship and media income and more people watching due to smaller clubs replacing bigger ones in the top division.

All the while showing that numbers through turnstiles becoming less and less important to a club's standing in the divisions.

Replace Dingles, Huddersfield, Bournemouth, Watford and Palace with Leeds, Villa, Sunderland, Sheff Wed and Derby and the numbers wouldn't be as impressive.

• Like 4

However, look at the average crowds of your EFL ‘regulars’, so Birmingham, Bristol City, Sheff Utd, Derby, Forest and so on and their crowds have risen massively since our last promotion in 2001. Our average crowd of 20,000 back then had us 3rd, now it would be 13th in the averages.

The common denominator is they are city clubs with vast catchment areas and a dormant floating support has for some reason re-emerged. Unfortunately, clubs like us and Bolton just don’t have that floating support, just a very loyal core that doesn’t really wax or wane by much.

I would wager that we are one of the few clubs in England getting lower crowds now than in 2001 (if at the same level).

Edited by Mattyblue

Just now, Mattyblue said:

However, look at the average crowds of your EFL ‘regulars’, so Birmingham, Bristol City, Sheff Utd, Derby, Forest and so on and their crowds have risen massively since our last promotion in 2001. Our average crowd of 20,000 back then had us 3rd, now it would be 13th in the averages.

The common denominator is they are city clubs with vast catchment areas and a dormant floating support has for some reason re-emerged. Unfortunately, clubs like us and Bolton just don’t have that floating support, just a very loyal core that doesn’t really wax or wane by much.

I would wager that we are one of the few clubs in England getting lower crowds now than in 2001 (if at the same level).

The alternative way of looking at it is that those clubs have worked extremely hard over the last 5-10 years to build their support up and it has worked.

I remember going to Forest midweek the first season we were down in 2012 and the ground was half empty. Birmingham were getting 15,000 a week and less at times when Clark was manager. Bristol City rarely surpassed 15,000 until they rebuilt their stadium (plenty of empty seats).

Flip side is if you look at Forest's season ticket offerings they are impressive. Birmingham have done numerous games at £15 a time this season and have season tickets for less than ours. Bristol City have a very impressive pre and post match atmosphere with entertainment etc. Their crowds have begun to deteriorate following the opening of their new ground and the hype that came with it.

I accept that we've less to draw on than those clubs but I also think those clubs have made more serious efforts than we have to do something about empty seats. The way of things at Rovers seems to be acceptance that we're at our limit and we can't expect bigger or better.

• Like 3

Bournemouth and Burnley being in the PL instead of Villa and Watford, and Forest and Sheffield United getting promoted will have skewed the Championship averages on their own.

6 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

We won't get bigger crowds till and if we are back in the Premiership. 

An idea I thought of to get money in but also give an incentive to fans would be to give a 'bonus' top up to those who preload their season ticket cards next season with money to use in the ground. Example;

£50-£99.99 = 10% top up by the club

£100-£199.99 = 15% top up by the club

£200+ = 20% top up by the club

This would bring in revenue up front for the club but also gives something in return to the fans who get a little bit extra in return for loading up their season tickets with cash up front. 

Am I talking rubbish? 

11 minutes ago, robbojohnno said:

An idea I thought of to get money in but also give an incentive to fans would be to give a 'bonus' top up to those who preload their season ticket cards next season with money to use in the ground. Example;

£50-£99.99 = 10% top up by the club

£100-£199.99 = 15% top up by the club

£200+ = 20% top up by the club

This would bring in revenue up front for the club but also gives something in return to the fans who get a little bit extra in return for loading up their season tickets with cash up front. 

Am I talking rubbish? 

I like it. Think it's a good idea.