BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Attendances

Neal

3 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

And we now draw our support wider than BB1 and BB2 than we ever have previously. 

Not true. I wandered round the home coach park during our Premier League winning season and  there was even a Stroud Valleys Rovers supporters coach up from Gloucestershire. Buses from North Wales, Cumbria and various parts of Yorkshire as well as closer to home. Counted 29 full sized coaches...

It is only 8 years since our average home attendance was 25,000 (exactly).

Edited by philipl

*Sigh*. OK, 90s aside, as we won’t be filling coaches from Stroud anytime soon.

Im taking about our core, still extant support, the support that was largely concentrated in the town of Blackburn.

A decent percentage of that core is now in Chorley borough, South Ribble, Ribble Valley, Preston and so on.

Yes, we’ve always had support in those areas, but due to demographic change in Blackburn, it is becoming an ever larger percentage.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 2

For  the record our last two average attendances have been:

2018/19 - 14,552 which is 17th sandwiched between Bolton and Preston. Bolton is divided by 22 and would almost certainly been behind us had they played Brentford.  

2017/18 - 12,173 obviously significantly boosted by the Oxford game 

In the Championship last season 12 clubs averaged gates over 20,000. 

If you go back  to comments at the season start I believe Steve Waggott said the budget was for an average gate of 14,500 which we hit with more home supporters and less away supporters than forecast.

Edited by philipl

Just now, philipl said:

For  the record our last two average attendances have been:

2018/19 - 14,552 which is 17th sandwiched between Bolton and Preston. Bolton is divided by 22 and would almost certainly been behind us had they played Brentford.  

2017/18 - 12,173 obviously significantly boosted by the Oxford game 

In the Championship last season 12 clubs averaged gates over 20,000. 

If you go back  to comments at the season start I believe Steve Waggott said the budget was for an average gate of 14,500 which we hit with more home supporters and less away supporters than forecast.

I thought Waggott said 16k to break even? 

Considering we had gone down to 8,000 season ticket holders under Coyle. This season, for a mid table campaign, the crowds were fine and a good recovery from that clownshoe's time.

But now it's time to push on. We won't see dramatic increases in this league but we certainly can add to the season ticket holder base.

• Like 1

• Moderation Lead
Just now, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

Only success on the pitch will bring fans back,it's the same at most Clubs in a similar position..there is no use in keep fretting about it.

Fundamentally, that’s true. But it still wouldn’t kill the powers that be to improve the match day experience.

When this is inferior to that at Accy Stanley, questions need to be asked.

• Like 2

If the club want to increase season tickets sales and get increased numbers into ewood, how about they charge the current price for season tickets at the current number sold, if the overall number increases reduce the price of the season tickets (existing/early purchasers could get the amount back on their rovers card), and increase single match ticket prices. Would give existing season ticket holders an incentive to persuade friends to buy  a season ticket.  Away fans would have to pay more as well for tickets. It could  possibly lead to more fans at every game, be cheaper for season ticket holders and increase revenue for the club.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, K-Hod said:

Fundamentally, that’s true. But it still wouldn’t kill the powers that be to improve the match day experience.

When this is inferior to that at Accy Stanley, questions need to be asked.

Surely winning more games is the best, and probably only, way to improve the matchday experience. Success on the pitch is the only way forward.

I've never been to Stanley but I'm struggling to understand how the matchday experience at the Crown with an average gate of 2827, 24th in League One, watching the team which finished 14th is better than a visit to Ewood Park???

If it's so good why would less than 3,000 bother to go?? If people want a better matchday experience the answer is simple..........

Edited by Paul
  • Like 2

Just now, 47er said:

But that "less than 3000" used to be less than 1200.

I woudnt get carried away with Stanleys "average" home gate figure .When away teams are filling half the ground for Stanley that figure is certainly being bloated. A more accurate figure would simply be how many actual home fans do they attract.

• Moderation Lead
7 hours ago, Paul said:

Surely winning more games is the best, and probably only, way to improve the matchday experience. Success on the pitch is the only way forward.

I've never been to Stanley but I'm struggling to understand how the matchday experience at the Crown with an average gate of 2827, 24th in League One, watching the team which finished 14th is better than a visit to Ewood Park???

If it's so good why would less than 3,000 bother to go?? If people want a better matchday experience the answer is simple..........

You’re missing the point. If we could be doing things better, we should be aiming to. 

Edited by K-Hod
  • Like 2

The independent buses from pubs in Darwen illustrate the point in question. I know for a fact that if the facility wasn’t there, a number of people wouldn’t bother going to Ewood. It would be worthwhile trialling something similar from Chorley, Clitheroe, Accrington etc to see how it went. 

• Like 2

Just now, darrenrover said:

The independent buses from pubs in Darwen illustrate the point in question. I know for a fact that if the facility wasn’t there, a number of people wouldn’t bother going to Ewood. It would be worthwhile trialling something similar from Chorley, Clitheroe, Accrington etc to see how it went. 

If a bus from Chorley picked up en route and received the same priority as away support coaches I would catch that as opposed to driving. Parking is £200 per season. So from my perspective only something around £5/person would be acceptable -we have 2/3 in the car.

Priority over cars leaving the car parks would be essential as without this there is no tangible benefit.

https://www.pnefc.net/news/2017/september/matchday-shuttle-bus-services-confirmed/

Have a read through this and ask yourself why Rovers don't have a similar facility in place for these areas/Hyndburn/Ribble Valley.

Bone idleness and penny pinching would be my guess. Probably saves a few bob and makes life easier but long term it will only do one thing.

20 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

You’re missing the point. If we could be doing things better, we should be aiming to. 

I don't think so. I'm watching a decent team, managed by a fundamentally decent person, possible top six campaign in 2019/20 in a PL standard ground (yes it needs some attention), parking is OK, good seats, reasonable coffee on the odd occasion I drink it.

What's not to like? What else could the club offer? Better atmosphere? Yes, but that's the fans not the club. The one thing I'd like changed is holding the car parks after the game, which is probably a police and not club issue.

All for £15/match

Edited by Paul

Just now, Paul said:

I don't think so. I'm watching a decent team, managed by a fundamentally decent person, possible top six campaign in 2019/20 in a PL standard ground (yes it needs some attention), parking is OK, good seats, reasonable coffee on the odd occasion I drink it.

What's not to like? What else could the club offer? Better atmosphere? Yes, but that's the fans not the club. The one thing I'd like changed is holding the car parks after the game, which is probably a police and not club issue.

Why do Preston as a club have multiple bus shuttle services designed to help football supporters get to their ground on matchday and we don't?

Are we so good that we don't need to and can just rest on our laurels?

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

There's a post directly above yours that answers that. 

My post directly before the PNE post gives my opinion on buses. I'd use it provided there is enroute pick up. I'm not driving 5-6 miles in the opposite direction to catch a bus.

Just now, JHRover said:

Why do Preston as a club have multiple bus shuttle services designed to help football supporters get to their ground on matchday and we don't?

Are we so good that we don't need to and can just rest on our laurels?

I've no idea, best to ask the club. Read my earlier post and the one above making it clear I would enjoy and use the service.

Just now, Paul said:

My post directly before the PNE post gives my opinion on buses. I'd use it provided there is enroute pick up. I'm not driving 5-6 miles in the opposite direction to catch a bus.

There you go then, you've answered your own question. That's one way things could improve. 

• Like 1

Just now, Paul said:

If a bus from Chorley picked up en route and received the same priority as away support coaches I would catch that as opposed to driving. Parking is £200 per season. So from my perspective only something around £5/person would be acceptable -we have 2/3 in the car.

Priority over cars leaving the car parks would be essential as without this there is no tangible benefit.

I pay £3.50 fare from Darwen and I think the double decker bus is around £180 to hire. We are dropped off at Ewood WMC and picked up behind the old Albion pub. It does seem we given priority over traffic afterwards and quite often are back at the Craven Heifer pub before 5.20.

• Like 5

I’ve been at Ewood every step of our decline, like 10,000 or so others. I’m enjoying our recovery (of sorts), and wish there were more there to see it. But I’m aware that there is also the floating fan that isn’t as committed as me, chaddy, JH, Paul etc, so they need enticing in.

As ‘well, they should just turn up, I do’ isn’t a solution.

• Like 5

Just now, arbitro said:

I pay £3.50 fare from Darwen and I think the double decker bus is around £180 to hire. We are dropped off at Ewood WMC and picked up behind the old Albion pub. It does seem we given priority over traffic afterwards and quite often are back at the Craven Heifer pub before 5.20.

Sounds very good. We live approximately 6 miles from Ewood and often don't get out of the car parks till 5.15 or later.

If I'm home by 6.00 it's good.