BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Attendances

Neal

28 minutes ago, JoeHarvey said:

I genuinely don't understand what people want the club to do.

Our club does more than most in terms of matchday experience, multi-faith rooms, family stand, cheap ticket prices, blues bar, Fan Zone outside, free fruit bags for the kids... What more could they be doing? 

There is admittedly some good stuff in there (as well as some debatable ones - e.g. all clubs have a family stand)  but as to the 3 problems I highlighted, the solutions myself and others have suggested and the low attendances themselves show, there is more the club can be doing. 

One point to make is that a lot of those initiatives target people at the ground when they are there - there's not loads in there to pull in new fans and get people interested. Getting new, especially kids, interested and getting them to attend is crucial, as well as having a good match day experience. 

Edit additional thought if the club hadn't treated fans so badly during most of Vs reign of terror then there may also be a bigger fan base. We've lost about 10k since the cluckers turned up which suggests the owners - and club - are far from innocent in our low attendances. 

Edited by Blue blood

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Thats the same though for some fans at every club. Having an attitude of suggesting he is in the wrong for it achieves nothing. Accepting some fans dont feel obliged and thinking what ways the club can do to get people back is a more constructive response. Attending matches is not an obligation.

Nope. Mercer made out that it was perhaps Mowbrays brand of football which is stopping him from attending, then diverging to his credibility on a topic dedicated for attendances. 

My point remains that should we be promoted then he’ll be back, suggesting it is not the brand of football that we play but our current stature in the game which is bothering him. Incidentally our stature in the game has risen year on year with TM involved so it’s not out of the question we won’t be back very soon.

Also it is you that has decided people are bitter or annoyed. I’m certainly not.

Edited by Dreams of 1995

Just now, Blue blood said:

There is admittedly some good stuff in there (as well as some debatable ones - e.g. all clubs have a family stand)  but as to the 3 problems I highlighted, the solutions myself and others have suggested and the low attendances themselves show, there is more the club can be doing. 

One point to make is that a lot of those initiatives target people at the ground when they are there - there's not loads in there to pull in new fans and get people interested. Getting new, especially kids, interested and getting them to attend is crucial, as well as having a good match day experience. 

Edit additional thought if the club hadn't treated fans so badly during most of Vs reign of terror then there may also be a bigger fan base. We've lost about 10k since the cluckers turned up which suggests the owners - and club - are far from innocent in our low attendances. 

Whilst I appreciate this, it doesn't answer the question. What more could the club do NOW? 

I genuinely believe that the club has reached the extent of what they can do to bring more people back. The reasons people stay away are clearly now out of the clubs control.

Just now, JoeHarvey said:

Whilst I appreciate this, it doesn't answer the question. What more could the club do NOW? 

I genuinely believe that the club has reached the extent of what they can do to bring more people back. The reasons people stay away are clearly now out of the clubs control.

There are 2 things the club can do to get attendances back to pre-2010:

1) Promotion

2) Venkys sell

That is it. Beer offers, free days, school tickets all pales into insignificance in comparison to those 2.

• Like 2

Just now, Dreams of 1995 said:

There are 2 things the club can do to get attendances back to pre-2010:

1) Promotion

2) Venkys sell

That is it. Beer offers, free days, school tickets all pales into insignificance in comparison to those 2.

Venkys aren't selling, and promotion isn't something the club can flick like a switch. Just further proof that this idea the club could "do more" is pointless. Those who are staying away, will continue to, unless we're in the Premier League, and that's fine, I just wish that the club didn't always get the blame for it as if there's some kind of incentive they could be offering.

An ageing fan base means more former season ticket holders miss matches as they take holidays whenever they get a good deal. That makes a ST less viable. Nothing the club can do about that but you do have to factor it in. For example I've not been at home for more than a few days at a time since the start of June so that made a ST not worth it in the end despite the fact I'm now a senior and they're very cheap. That's why it's important to grow family uptake 

6 minutes ago, JoeHarvey said:

Not at all. There's things the club can do for the now and also things the club can be doing to get the next generation. 

Dreams has it right that those are the biggest 2 ways to increase attendance in the short term but I agree neither seem forthcoming. 

Now:  free plus 1 tickets for season ticket holders , more deal games e.g. 7 game ticket bundles, a public apology from the Raos and genuine communication (sadly the latter is unlikely too.) The manager being under a bit more scrutiny and looking for more than to plod along would help too especially as this would lead to a genuine push for promotion (not a guarentee but looking like we have a chance) or a new manager aiming for this would also attract fans. 

Future - school visits, free school tickets , free kits to under 7s , a better social media presence, holiday clubs are just a few possibilities. 

Both on and off the pitch Rovers are average at best imo. 

• Like 7

35 minutes ago, MCMC1875 said:

Really?

1. Get season tickets on sale in April £300 JW, £200 BBE & Riverside.

2. Matchday tickets £20. West Brom do it.

3. No attendance surcharge.

4. Get transport organised to home games.

5. Resurrect the Supporters branches 

6. Abolish 1875 club to make season tickets more prized.

7. Pie & pint £5. Happy hour 1-3 and 5-6 £2 a pint.

8. Reopen the original family stand.

9. Restart Radio Rovers.

10. Stop moving kick off times and treating the supporters like idiots.

11. Get some decent beers on sale.

12. Turn the tannoy down to encourage singing.

13. Reuse the original TV gantry. The sight lines at the back of the Riverside have been ruined by the 3 new ones.

14. Abolish Cat A1/A/B pricing. It was originally brought in for games against top 4 Prem clubs, not 2nd division rubbish let alone 3rd division.

15. Show some respect to the paying season ticket holders by cutting back on the freebies. 1,000 complementary tickets is ridiculous for a club struggling to pull in 12,000.

16. Last but not least, get some weedkiller sprayed behind Bolton Road in front of the JW Stand. It's a bloody disgrace.

What did the Romans do for us?

39 minutes ago, MCMC1875 said:

Really?

4. Get transport organised to home games. £3 return from Blackburn & Darwen. £5 return from Ribble Valley, Hyndburn, Rossendale & South Ribble.

9. Restart Radio Rovers.

13. Reuse the original TV gantry. The sight lines at the back of the Riverside have been ruined by the 3 new ones.

14. Abolish Cat A1/A/B pricing. It was originally brought in for games against top 4 Prem clubs, not 2nd division rubbish let alone 3rd division.

15. Show some respect to the paying season ticket holders by cutting back on the freebies. 1,000 complementary tickets is ridiculous for a club struggling to pull in 12,000.

16. Last but not least, get some weedkiller sprayed behind Bolton Road in front of the JW Stand. It's a bloody disgrace.

In a perfect world, all good ideas (from a personal POV Radio Rovers was garbage though). Unfortunately, this list can be simplified to: Charge peanuts across the board as if we're a League 2 nobody so less incoming and spend more on coaches, radio etc ie. more outgoing. Not going to happen. Moving kick-offs is rarely the club's decision; it's Sky's. Giving out freebies is an attempt at growing the support base which we're all moaning they don't try to do enough.

The last ten years have sickened lots of die hard Rovers fans. That's obvious. It's a massively up hill task to get these fans back, that's also obvious. In my estimation -  of the 12,000 that have bailed out 6,000 will never come back no matter what we do. 3,000 may come if we do well in this league and the other 3,000 may come back if we do well in the Prem.

Maybe we could have a half game offer, you can come on at half time for the second half - that way you may see some exciting football and the odd goal !

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, MCMC1875 said:

Really?

4. Get transport organised to home games. £3 return from Blackburn & Darwen. £5 return from Ribble Valley, Hyndburn, Rossendale & South Ribble.

9. Restart Radio Rovers.

1. Selling season tickets earlier shouldn't lead to more sales, it literally makes no sense.

2. Matchday tickets are dirt cheap if you buy in advance

3. If you mean the on the day increase in price its not complicated to avoid

4. There's transport available, not through the club, but its not exactly hard, and I can't see that improving attendances at all

5. Again how does this increase season ticket sales?

6. Why abolish the 1875 club it's been a great success? And how does abolishing it increase attendances.

7. Food prices definitely don't affect attendances either, but could be cheaper, the Sodexo deal hasn't helped at all. Bad move really.

8. Why? That original family stand is up in the heavens, and the new one provides free fruit and face painting, has the strikers lounge pre-game and has been a major success.

9. Restarting Radio Rovers isn't financially viable for Blackburn clearly, whilst it may bring back some, it wouldn't have a significant impact on attendances.

10. The Club don't move kick off times or treat supporters like idiots, that's a silly one, Sky move games, and the league and the police.

11. Yeah, I agree, beer choice could be better, as could prices for food in general, but same as point 7, it shouldn't and wouldn't affect attendance in ANY way

12. Seriously? There's 90 minutes of football where the crowd AND the tannoy are silent, that's not the clubs fault

13. I sit in the Riverside and the sightlines are absolutely fine.

14. The category pricing is something they could do something about 100%

15. So you think that by not doing freebies for the kids like the Stoke game will INCREASE attendances?

16. Yes there are weeds and the brick is a bit dirty, but if there's a single supporter out there not attending Blackburn games because of weeds outside the stadium, they aren't a real supporter AT ALL.

@JoeHarvey so you consider £22-29 for a ticket at home to Luton, upped to £25-32 if you can only decide on matchday whether to go, as "dirt cheap?"

Season tickets are no longer at bargain prices either, so they could do more to get more bums on seats, but ultimately it seems Waggott and co seem more focused on milking the existing fan base. Presumably he sees there being more to gain by doing that.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, JoeHarvey said:

1. Selling season tickets earlier shouldn't lead to more sales, it literally makes no sense.

4. There's transport available, not through the club, but its not exactly hard, and I can't see that improving attendances at all

6. Why abolish the 1875 club it's been a great success? And how does abolishing it increase attendances.

7. Food prices definitely don't affect attendances either, but could be cheaper, the Sodexo deal hasn't helped at all. Bad move really.

8. Why? That original family stand is up in the heavens, and the new one provides free fruit and face painting, has the strikers lounge pre-game and has been a major success.

9. Restarting Radio Rovers isn't financially viable for Blackburn clearly, whilst it may bring back some, it wouldn't have a significant impact on attendances.

10. The Club don't move kick off times or treat supporters like idiots, that's a silly one, Sky move games, and the league and the police.

11. Yeah, I agree, beer choice could be better, as could prices for food in general, but same as point 7, it shouldn't and wouldn't affect attendance in ANY way

12. Seriously? There's 90 minutes of football where the crowd AND the tannoy are silent, that's not the clubs fault

15. So you think that by not doing freebies for the kids like the Stoke game will INCREASE attendances?

16. Yes there are weeds and the brick is a bit dirty, but if there's a single supporter out there not attending Blackburn games because of weeds outside the stadium, they aren't a real supporter AT ALL.

Lost all validation after “2. Matchday tickets are dirt cheap if you buy in advance”

• Like 7

4 hours ago, JoeHarvey said:

I genuinely don't understand what people want the club to do.

Our club does more than most in terms of matchday experience, multi-faith rooms, family stand, cheap ticket prices, blues bar, Fan Zone outside, free fruit bags for the kids... What more could they be doing? 

What about not kicking us out of the Darren End?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, JoeHarvey said:

Not getting into every point you’ve made, but this one annoyed me. 

If you sit near the back, the gantries definitely obstruct your view. The side to side head movements to avoid the pillars quickly become second nature to anyone who sits in there, but the stupid, empty gantries are just in the way.

To suggest the club can’t possibly do any more is ridiculous. It’s something they should always be thinking about. It seems to me that the current tactic is to milk every penny out of their current captive audience rather than bring in new fans or re-engage.

Fruit bags, no problem... but Stanley gave every primary school pupil in the town a free kit. I know which I’d have preferred as a kid.

For all the attempts Waggott has made at bridge-building, coming out and saying “we can’t do any more, the stayaway fans have to do their bit” does no good whatsoever. I see plenty of people who still get their season tickets bought for them off their parents having a pop at and questioning the loyalty of fans who’ve recently got fed up with the goings on at the club having been loyal fans for decades.

• Like 8

The club did move two games off their own back last season - PNE and Leeds to noon. They have realised that it was unpopular and won’t be doing it again - hallelujah, they listened for once.

Why will April help? Because people are in football mode, those buying half STs or fairly regular match tickets may be tempted, as would wavering ST holders unsure about renewing. Wait till the season has finished and people have switched off. It ‘literally’ must make sense or all the other clubs wouldn’t bother.

Dirt cheap? A game against the likes of Birmingham or Wigan costs £28 in the Blackburn End or £32 in the JW Upper (two most popular stands) and that is buying in advance.

1875 a ‘big success’? There’s hardly any bugger in it!

Supporters branches are a great way of keeping fans out of the town in touch and also a good way of organising coaches etc to the ground. A good example being Darwen pubs.  We had a great network of them until they were disbanded - most other clubs of decent size utilise them.

A lot of those above and the other little initiatives suggested can all aid in a small way, making Ewood as accessible and welcoming as possible, by dismissing them like you do you are showing your own ignorance.

Oh and it’s not ‘Blackburn’, it’s ROVERS.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, JoeHarvey said:

Already answered by others - but much easier to do if fans are already thinking about it, building on feel good factor etc. 

No they are not. Contrast with cinema, meal out they ain't cheap. Add in all the food, programme, transport etc. And it becomes even more costly. Also for someone on minimum wage or unemployed etc. it is a heck of a lot of money. Without going political food bank useage is on the rise suggesting a ton of people are struggling to get by too. Not saying footy instead of food but maybe shows not everyone can easily afford our tickets. 

But it puts off last minute and spontaneous decisions to come. 

4. There's transport available, no through the club, but its not exactly hard, and I can't see that improving attendances at all

It's about reducing barriers, as is the above. The more barriers reduced the less people are out off and the more people come. Same as the above. 

Football is a social thing - as being on here shows. People are more likely to go with friends and family so if there are more people you can socialise with going you are more likely to go. One case in point in our family is my Dad has gone less since my sister emegrated as opposed to living 10 minutes away. 

Can't comment. 

Not true - if food prices contribute to a negative experience and this means people decide not to return then it does affect attendances. It can be a cumulative factor in making people less likely to go. 

Perhaps the manner in how it was done, regardless of whether it is better? The attitude is as important as the action and the club has been pretty high handed at times with these things. 

No but would put money on a podcast / fan site increasing club publicity, awareness and strengthening and growing the fanbase. Think a modern day equivalent could do wonders for Rovers. 

Someone answered they did. Hopefully not again. 

See point 7 cumulative effect on customer satisfaction and returnees. 

Not thought about this at all. Has anyone done a survey of fans to see where most fall. 

You must have X ray vision then! 

Agreed.

I think freebies for kids is a good thing too. But it isn't about increasing attendees but rather cultivating new fans. 

Probably not. But again it's what kind of experience we are trying to create. Every little helps and hinders. 

Put it this way if it were a restaurant - admittedly different business- it'd be very easy to clock things that attract people in, but also things that put people off and reduce the ambiance. No one goes to a restaurant for the lighting for example but it can put people off returning. The club needs to be asking how we can make the experience as positive as possible and reduce barriers to people coming as well as what attracts them. Again, we really aren't that fan centric as a club since the cluckers have arrived. 

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Hasta said:

I've said this before but for every consecutive year you have had a season ticket you should get 5% off the renewal price, up to a maximum of 30%

People would build up their discount, and if we had a bad or boring season, they would be less likely to not renew as they would 'lose' the loyalty discount. Also encourages season tickets as it shows loyalty is rewarded.

For non season ticket holders, for every 5 games you attend you get 1 free.  Some people who have attended, for example,  3 or 4 games during a season would probably attend 1 or 2 more to unlock the free game. 

(I've not run the number on these ideas so it may be it caps at 20%, or 6 games to get 1 free, but you get the idea.)

Restaurants do this. Also if not games how about a free shirt after X number of games (we change each season anyway) or a free pie or drink. 

On season tickets how about something for people whose circumstances change for a year - say they can't get a season ticket after years of having one because of I'll health or redundancy - as in the year after they can renew at the old price. Have seen a few people have to drop out like this and it could help them get the habit back. 

Just now, rigger said:

I was impressed with Villa last season. How they pushed the be part of the pride idea, due to them being lions. Us being Rovers, we could be part of the pack. Kids would love it.

Hard to put a price on belonging/identity hence my idea to revive Supporters branches. Also people are creatures of habit hence my idea for organised travel to home games.

• Like 3

Blackburn is one of the most deprived areas in the country. ‘Normal’ Championship pricing doesn’t apply because people have to budget. Yes, there are people who “can easily afford it” but these people are probably already here or wouldn’t attend if it was free. 

This hasn’t hit home yet with Waggott or he just thinks it’s easier to blame lack of commitment or whatever.

• Like 5

40 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Blackburn is one of the most deprived areas in the country. ‘Normal’ Championship pricing doesn’t apply because people have to budget. Yes, there are people who “can easily afford it” but these people are probably already here or wouldn’t attend if it was free. 

This hasn’t hit home yet with Waggott or he just thinks it’s easier to blame lack of commitment or whatever.

Something John Williams took a while to realise but he said similar to what you've said there a few times once it sunk in.

Tough tough part of the world when it comes to brass you only have to look at the town and non existent nightlife etc. Add in the increasing competition for the spare quid in the pocket these days and it paints an even harder picture.

• Like 1