BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Attendances

Neal

Just now, JoeHarvey said:

Quite clearly I'm talking about fans who are nearby. Oddly specific story to bring up there really. I'm not talking about Blackburn fans who aren't from Blackburn and the surrounding areas. I'm sure if you looked at the database and compiled all the people who've stopped coming, not many would be from so far away.

I wouldn't say it was that clear.

Anyway, even if you are talking about fans who live more local, the point still stands, just because they are Rovers fans who can afford to go every now and then and probably have the time to do so, why should they prioritise Rovers over something else they enjoy doing?

I have been a Rovers obsessive since I was around 6/7 years old and still am, but I can certainly understand that Blackburn Rovers isn't the most important priority of every Rovers fan out there, people enjoy doing other things and you or me have no right to tell them that they should be going to Rovers over doing anything else (when financially and time allowing as you said).

Get over yourself.

• Like 3

Quite clearly I'm talking about fans who are nearby. Oddly specific story to bring up there really. I'm not talking about Blackburn fans who aren't from Blackburn and the surrounding areas. I'm sure if you looked at the database and compiled all the people who've stopped coming, not many would be from so far away.

Where do you make it clear?

Why differentiate between those fans who live close by and those who live further afield?

Just now, lraC said:

At the risk of upsetting other fans who have used the term, Blackburn fan, it isn't we are ROVERS fans. Imagine the clap chant going clap, clap, clap, clap,clap, clap,clap,clap,clap BLACKBURN. Its ROVERS please. Even Burnley fans call us bas**rd ROVERS not Bas**rd BLACKBURN. 

Well said. Its a pet hate of mine as well. 

• Like 4

I said it before but it's harder to get the fans who've walked away to come back than it is to get new fans involved. People soon find other things to do with their Saturday afternoons that may be more interesting and more rewarding from a family point of view. Once that happens it's a massive task to get them back on a regular basis. How many turned up for the Oxford promotion party game that have never been back since ?

The entertainment on show at the moment isn't really going to get the town buzzing I'm afraid. That's part of the problem. I think the club will aiways underachieve as long as the Chicken Chokers " run " the show. They are the " Elephant in the room " as far as attendances are concerned.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, JoeHarvey said:

So when financially possible, and when people have the time, as Blackburn fans it shouldn't be expected that they prioritise going to Blackburn games?

I probably go to as many games - at all levels - as most on here but I would never say that I expect others to do the same.  I know a number of Rovers fans who gave up when we were relegated and found other things to do.  They still classify themselves as fans but love what they are now doing more than going to football.  They may go to the odd game but no more than that and to be honest none have told me that they actually miss football.  That's life.  Things change over time and how we spend our leisure time changes.

In many ways gates have held up remarkably well all things considered.  In the eighties - the last time we had a long period of second tier football - the average gate was often well under 10,000.  I suspect we will do well to avoid that happening again.

I don't envy those at Ewood trying to balance ticket pricing with the requirements of meeting the Financial Fair Play regulations. 

• Like 4

Just now, Parsonblue said:

I probably go to as many games - at all levels - as most on here but I would never say that I expect others to do the same.  I know a number of Rovers fans who gave up when we were relegated and found other things to do.  They still classify themselves as fans but love what they are now doing more than going to football.  They may go to the odd game but no more than that and to be honest none have told me that they actually miss football.  That's life.  Things change over time and how we spend our leisure time changes.

In many ways gates have held up remarkably well all things considered.  In the eighties - the last time we had a long period of second tier football - the average gate was often well under 10,000.  I suspect we will do well to avoid that happening again.

I don't envy those at Ewood trying to balance ticket pricing with the requirements of meeting the Financial Fair Play regulations. 

That's what concerns me when you read we may be signing the likes of Holtby. How many midfield players can we afford to have on the wage bill ? 

Just now, Parsonblue said:

Being amongst home crowds of around 7,000 or so in the seventies and eighties, probably means I am entitled to call myself a Rovers fan. I could make the excuse that I live abroad, but I do still make the effort to go the some games. I prefer away fixtures now and that is purely and simply because of the owners. I have been a Rovers fan for 47 years and I always will be. My decision to go to games or not, hinges on many factors. The one that puts me off more than any other reason though is Venkys. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PeteJD13 said:

Goodness me what a post, yes there's lots of things you should be unhappy about but ignore them as that's being a true *Blackburn fan* out of interest how old are you?. What's laughable is people on here put there thoughts up as to what they don't like. Yet you seem happy with things as they are priorities change I've got two kids and after my mortgage payment and the car payments have gone out that's over £1500 quid month. That's before you think of nursery for kids its £50 a day where I live now, council tax has gone up so have gas and electric, real life things that are needed and wages on the whole haven't. Now I'm lucky I've got season tickets for me and my daughter. Now if I was unable to commit to a ST and I wanted to pick and choose the Waggot tax would put me off especially if I wanted to take my kids. The club could do a lot more but it does the very minimum no imaginative pricing the ground looks tired everything about the club smacks of mediocrity.

But hey kids its always the fans at fault............

If all of those things stop you coming to the games then it's laughable. Why would beer and pies stop you from watching your team? Odd.

The trouble with comparing our gates to those in the 80s is it is setting the bar as low as it can go in terms of comparisons.

The 80s were a low point in 100+years of football history in this country, not just for Rovers but for pretty much all clubs. Hooliganism, dilapidated grounds, all sorts of other things, contributed to plummeting numbers going to matches.

Football has moved on. Virtually everyone, even ourselves, are getting bigger gates now than the 80s. There has been a significant growth in English football over the last 20 years even in the 2nd division.

I fear that using our 80s attendances as a benchmark is inappropriate. Man Utd had sub 30000 gates in that era, so should they be happy with anything above that? 

We need to do better numbers wise. There has been a failure on Rovers part to build on the promotion campaign and whatever the ins and outs of it we are now at less than Bowyer era levels of home fans watching games.

My opinion is that decisions made at Ewood have contributed to that. A succession of unpopular and questionable ticketing decisions over several years. This includes season ticket holding fans in 3 stands being forcibly relocated without consultation.

I spend a lot of time on twitter and forums and I can see efforts being made elsewhere to grow and improve.

Anyone going to Reading on Saturday have a look to the left of the away end. That area was previously empty and given to large away followings. Reading have now made it for home fans and restrict away followings to half the stand. Home fans are encouraged to go in this new area, right next to away fans, and sing, shout, wave flags. Not my cup of tea but it is an effort to improve atmosphere. What are we doing? The opposite - closing areas, rubbing hands large away followings and maximising distances in the ground to make life easier for staff on matchday.

The amounts of money made by sticking a few quid on tickets are inconsequential in Ffp matters when we are sending 7 million to Nottingham for Ben Brereton.

• Like 3

Just now, Mattyblue said:

I think he has a lot of growing up to do.

I disagree with you, you disagree with me, it doesn't have to end with you making comments like this about rather than to me.

I don't make them about you, it's called respect. This is a conversation, not an argument, and I do wish you wouldn't try to turn it into one. 

I disagree with you, you disagree with me, it doesn't have to end with you making comments like this about rather than to me.

I don't make them about you, it's called respect. This is a conversation, not an argument, and I do wish you wouldn't try to turn it into one. 

Not too sure if your post above in response to Pete, means that you shouldn't really be saying what you have here, unless you want to look hypocritical?

1 hour ago, PeteJD13 said:

If all of those things stop you coming to the games then it's laughable. Why would beer and pies stop you from watching your team? Odd.

Edited by lraC

On 17/09/2019 at 17:24, Blue blood said:

How about free kits for 7 and under? Spoke with a colleague whose son's interest in rugby stems from a kit when they were 3. If we capture fans young we've a better chance of keeping them. 0r how about free plus 1 tickets now and again. One of my mates was a season ticket holder for years but got into it solely because I won a couple of tickets in a radio competition and I invited him along. Without going silly maybe 1 free tixket per season ticket holder - could bring in extra fans. Loads we could be doing. 

Great idea. Maybe even give shirts away to fans who the club visits in schools. 

20 hours ago, gumboots said:

An ageing fan base means more former season ticket holders miss matches as they take holidays whenever they get a good deal. That makes a ST less viable. Nothing the club can do about that but you do have to factor it in. For example I've not been at home for more than a few days at a time since the start of June so that made a ST not worth it in the end despite the fact I'm now a senior and they're very cheap. That's why it's important to grow family uptake 

My dad and mum bought a season ticket this season even tho they will only get to 5 or 6 games a season. Dad says it shows his support for club. He spend alot time away from the area now but still enjoy going to game. He passes his tickets to friends of his who go to games he doesn't. 

19 hours ago, MCMC1875 said:

Really?

1. Get season tickets on sale in April £300 JW, £200 BBE & Riverside.

2. Matchday tickets £20. West Brom do it.

3. No attendance surcharge.

4. Get transport organised to home games. £3 return from Blackburn & Darwen. £5 return from Ribble Valley, Hyndburn, Rossendale & South Ribble.

5. Resurrect the Supporters branches 

6. Abolish 1875 club to make season tickets more prized.

7. Pie & pint £5. Happy hour 1-3 and 5-6 £2 a pint.

8. Reopen the original family stand.

9. Restart Radio Rovers.

10. Stop moving kick off times and treating the supporters like idiots.

11. Get some decent beers on sale.

12. Turn the tannoy down to encourage singing.

13. Reuse the original TV gantry. The sight lines at the back of the Riverside have been ruined by the 3 new ones.

14. Abolish Cat A1/A/B pricing. It was originally brought in for games against top 4 Prem clubs, not 2nd division rubbish let alone 3rd division.

15. Show some respect to the paying season ticket holders by cutting back on the freebies. 1,000 complementary season tickets is ridiculous for a club struggling to pull in 12,000.

16. Last but not least, get some weedkiller sprayed behind Bolton Road in front of the JW Stand. It's a bloody disgrace.

1. Surely you know whether you will buy a season ticket whenever they go on sale. 

4. Could Blackburn Rovers along with Blackburn and Darwen council not introduce a Bus ticket scheme where it like cheaper prices for season ticket holders 

6. disagree on the abolish 1875 club. 

7. very good idea

8. surely the family stand is much better next to the Rovers dugout and the players/managers for autography's and pictures with them 

10. Rovers only move kick off times for Sky TV coverage. 

14. With Rovers announce the prices of each game for the season before the season starts it allow some walk ons fans the choice of games they can attend and allow some fans to save up. 

15. Surely this depends on who the freebies are for. if it is for schools then surely it good idea to get the into football and watching it from early age. Not every parent as time or the money for it. 

20 minutes ago, JHRover said:

The trouble with comparing our gates to those in the 80s is it is setting the bar as low as it can go in terms of comparisons.

The 80s were a low point in 100+years of football history in this country, not just for Rovers but for pretty much all clubs. Hooliganism, dilapidated grounds, all sorts of other things, contributed to plummeting numbers going to matches.

Football has moved on. Virtually everyone, even ourselves, are getting bigger gates now than the 80s. There has been a significant growth in English football over the last 20 years even in the 2nd division.

I fear that using our 80s attendances as a benchmark is inappropriate. Man Utd had sub 30000 gates in that era, so should they be happy with anything above that? 

We need to do better numbers wise. There has been a failure on Rovers part to build on the promotion campaign and whatever the ins and outs of it we are now at less than Bowyer era levels of home fans watching games.

My opinion is that decisions made at Ewood have contributed to that. A succession of unpopular and questionable ticketing decisions over several years. This includes season ticket holding fans in 3 stands being forcibly relocated without consultation.

I spend a lot of time on twitter and forums and I can see efforts being made elsewhere to grow and improve.

Anyone going to Reading on Saturday have a look to the left of the away end. That area was previously empty and given to large away followings. Reading have now made it for home fans and restrict away followings to half the stand. Home fans are encouraged to go in this new area, right next to away fans, and sing, shout, wave flags. Not my cup of tea but it is an effort to improve atmosphere. What are we doing? The opposite - closing areas, rubbing hands large away followings and maximising distances in the ground to make life easier for staff on matchday.

The amounts of money made by sticking a few quid on tickets are inconsequential in Ffp matters when we are sending 7 million to Nottingham for Ben Brereton.

I miss going in the Darwen End, the historical home fans end. 

Edited by old darwen blue

17 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

@JoeHarvey so you consider £22-29 for a ticket at home to Luton, upped to £25-32 if you can only decide on matchday whether to go, as "dirt cheap?"

Season tickets are no longer at bargain prices either, so they could do more to get more bums on seats, but ultimately it seems Waggott and co seem more focused on milking the existing fan base. Presumably he sees there being more to gain by doing that.

depends on the person in question. I think Season tickets are cheap in my opinion 15 pounds per game and Kids one are about 4 pounds per game in Blackburn End. Do you not agree that is cheap per game. I went to the cinema the other week and it cost me roughly 30 pounds for me and my step daughter. 

I have come up with few ideas to get fans back but you have disagree with everyone. 

16 hours ago, Hasta said:

I've said this before but for every consecutive year you have had a season ticket you should get 5% off the renewal price, up to a maximum of 30%

People would build up their discount, and if we had a bad or boring season, they would be less likely to not renew as they would 'lose' the loyalty discount. Also encourages season tickets as it shows loyalty is rewarded.

For non season ticket holders, for every 5 games you attend you get 1 free.  Some people who have attended, for example,  3 or 4 games during a season would probably attend 1 or 2 more to unlock the free game. 

(I've not run the number on these ideas so it may be it caps at 20%, or 6 games to get 1 free, but you get the idea.)

You already get 5% off your season ticket through in terms of loyalty cash to spend in the Rovers store. which is the same amount as 5% of your season ticket if you sit in Blackburn End. 

Tho, I do agree on your ideas tbh

38 minutes ago, JoeHarvey said:

you don't get it do you, for some they pay £25 quid for a ticket they might want a beer and food its then a £40 quid plus day out. When you've grown up and have bills and responsibilities you might take a different view. Again you pick and choose which bits to disagree with lads I know don't go for a variety of reasons that can seem small but it adds up.  

4 hours ago, Paul said:

No I think it indicates the price at Chorley is ridiculous. I've just checked the full price and find it's £15. Last season it was £10, or at least that's what a friend asked me for when he got me a ticket. A 50% increase. Of course low earners are entitled to think the price at Rovers is ridiculous, people are entitled to think what they want. This doesn't though get away from the fact Rovers prices, if one buys an ST, are a bargain. I don't know the exact figure but from reading this thread our crowd is +/- 80% ST holders so these fans are looked after.

The view of prices can be relative to income but it should, in my view, be relative to the general market. I haven't researched every Championship club but often read here about WBA at £20/match. Rovers BBE walk on price, without the surcharge, averages £27/match - 2 x Cat A+ at £40, 7 x Cat A at £28, 14 x Cat B at £25. An ST for the BBE is £349 - £15/game which is a saving of 55%.

If the club reduced prices to the WBA level then the ST price should be reduced pro rata which brings the ST price per game down to £9. If this didn't happen ST holders would have every right to complain they are being treated differently yet make up 80% of the crowd. For a senior this would become £96 for an ST or £4/match.

What I cannot get anyone to answer is how this makes financial sense? The club are being asked to massively reduce match day income to increase the crowd size. Fair enough but there is no guarantee it will work. The club would be stuck with the reduction for at least one season with no apparent method of replacing the income. I understand the argument re increased food and drink sales etc. but there is little to demonstrate the low value/profit on these items would make a significant impact. It's doubtful we could even cope with a huge surge in demand at half time. There must also be a question re who actually profits from increased food and drink sales. Is this a franchise or concession paid as a fixed season long price? Is it profit sharing? Do we know exactly how this works?

Reducing prices in this manner is a dangerous gamble.

If by "even value" you are describing the standard of football, £15 for National League or £15 for Championship. I think I can see the relative value there. As for price being relative to income I understand your point but would say two things. My son lives off benefits, my income is below the tax threshold so I feel I understand low income and the need to budget accordingly.

1) there is no general market - it’s Rovers or nowt. But how do we compare to City for example.

2) Surely we should try though. The current strategy isn’t working.

3) I mean value compared to the cost of living.

Whether you and I agree or not on the current club strategy, a lot of people are being priced out of watching Rovers. You and I both attend so what motivates us is irrelevant to the debate around our 10,000 empty seats.

• Moderation Lead
54 minutes ago, JoeHarvey said:

I don’t think they do, I think they’re talking about improving things for the fans that do attend.

25 minutes ago, MCMC1875 said:

The 5% is not cash though. It's an amount of credit which can be redeemed against club merchandise. There's a difference.

depend how much you spend in the shop. its over 33% off a new shirt. that's alot to some ppl. 

no response to my reply to your post

Edited by chaddyrovers

21 minutes ago, PeteJD13 said:

you don't get it do you, for some they pay £25 quid for a ticket they might want a beer and food its then a £40 quid plus day out. When you've grown up and have bills and responsibilities you might take a different view. Again you pick and choose which bits to disagree with lads I know don't go for a variety of reasons that can seem small but it adds up.  

This is the same for all clubs though Pete and not just limited to ROVERS.

Living in the Midlands and having gone to Villa, Blues and Baggies games with friends I can say that a day out watching Rovers pales in comparison to the cost of a day out watching the 3 teams mentioned.

Our pricing structure is quite fair although I agree there are lots of room for improvements in the match day experience 

1 hour ago, JoeHarvey said:

It sure is, and you’ve been very disrespectful to concerned, long standing Rovers fans.

Just now, Dreams of 1995 said:

This is the same for all clubs though Pete and not just limited to ROVERS.

Living in the Midlands and having gone to Villa, Blues and Baggies games with friends I can say that a day out watching Rovers pales in comparison to the cost of a day out watching the 3 teams mentioned.

Our pricing structure is quite fair although I agree there are lots of room for improvements in the match day experience 

Yes I'd agree but I would also argue the clubs done very little to get fans back in, why can't they get the STs out in April. Really hammer the marketing the club did a good thing with the nxt gen but were let down by a complete dross performance I'd be surprised if any of them came back. Venkys could do worse than expanding the marketing department and really look at doing something different  

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Rovers only move kick off times for Sky TV coverage. 

Not true. Two games were moved BY Rovers last season, not a police or Sky request.

The Fans Forum minutes confirmed it and they stated they won’t do it again as it led to a lot of complaints - ergo PNE and Leeds are back to 3pm this season.

Edited by Mattyblue

Thing is, even if I lived local I wouldn't buy a season ticket, not because of cost but because there are many other things I could choose to do.

Was a ST holder for many years but nowadays there are so many avenues to remove cash from a person/family.

The club should be targeting non ST holders by way of making the match day experience first class,  (which would also benefit ST holders) but seem to be trying to squeeze the existing fan base rather than attracting "new" customers.

Some great ideas been posted on here but nothing forthcoming from Waggot who looks a real shady character in my opinion ?