BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Attendances

Neal

35 minutes ago, Paul said:

When did this one about building an hotel resurface? I haven't heard this madness in 10 years.

Speaking as someone who used to travel a lot for work the Ewood area is completely wrong for the business traveller. For leisure purposes one has to ask the question why would a tourist want to visit Blackburn.

If an hotel is built at Ewood it will be an unwanted burden on the club. One has to be realistic, Rovers apart why would visitors want to be in the area?

I used to think this but there is definitely a market for visitors to Blackburn.

1 hour ago, Stuart said:

I used to think this but there is definitely a market for visitors to Blackburn.

I'm not entirely convinced that Blackburn is a tourist destination. The hotel at Old Trafford (cricket) is excellent. I'm sure it sells out non-cricket season as it's a ten minute walk from the theatre of shite. Rooms overlooking the pitch might encourage our far flung friends to stay on match days. I can't see it happening any time soon though.

Edited by Proudtobeblue&white

2 hours ago, MCMC1875 said:

All the Travelodges/Premier Inns/Holiday Inns along the M65 from Preston to Burnley are regularly booked solid weekdays. Business trade is driving demand.

I'm happy to be corrected and didn't know this. I wouldn't have stayed in any of those when I traveled for work so I'm probably the wrong person to comment.

13 hours ago, Paul said:

When did this one about building an hotel resurface? I haven't heard this madness in 10 years.

Speaking as someone who used to travel a lot for work the Ewood area is completely wrong for the business traveller. For leisure purposes one has to ask the question why would a tourist want to visit Blackburn.

If an hotel is built at Ewood it will be an unwanted burden on the club. One has to be realistic, Rovers apart why would visitors want to be in the area?

I recall Waggot saying that they had or was looking into the viability and demand for another  hotel in Blackburn, since then a new hotel has been announced above the Postal Order, a Doubletree by Hilton is being built at Whitebirk (with wedding and conference suites)  even the old stage door in town is being turned into a hotel. Clearly there was a demand..... is there still?

1 hour ago, pk1875 said:

I recall Waggot saying that they had or was looking into the viability and demand for another  hotel in Blackburn, since then a new hotel has been announced above the Postal Order, a Doubletree by Hilton is being built at Whitebirk (with wedding and conference suites)  even the old stage door in town is being turned into a hotel. Clearly there was a demand..... is there still?

There's another on the Boulevard.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Paul said:

It's down the road from the m65 then others within 15 mins or so, not a bad location at all for a business traveller.

47 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

It's down the road from the m65 then others within 15 mins or so, not a bad location at all for a business traveller.

I understand about the proximity to motorways but I feel more than that is required. When I travelled I wanted interesting restaurants, perhaps a decent pub etc. nearby. The last place I wanted to be in the evening was in the hotel which is simply a room and a bed.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, OldEwoodBlue said:

Who is paying to build this new stand and hotel ?

Euro Garages ?

Any Chief Executive worth his salt would have thoughts on rebuilding the Riverside. For several reasons:

1) Like the Riverside or not it is outdated and poor in comparison to the majority of Premier League/Championship facilities these days. Grounds with worse facilities e.g. Brentford and Luton, are being knocked down in the near future. The lack of a covered concourse, adequate disabled facilities and obstructed views all need addressing. 

2) In an era of Ffp issues it is silly to have a side stand with absolutely no facilities to generate non matchday income. Office space, conference, hospitality, retail, hotel whatever is most appropriate any could be incorporated into a new stand and used to generate income to offset against losses. An investment of say £4-5 million in a new stand over the next 10 years could comfortably recoup the investment.

3) This isn't an issue in terms of attendances - the argument from some will be that we don't need a new stand because we don't need the capacity - Waggott seems to get that e.g. at the Shareholders Meeting last week he said any new Riverside stand would not add to the capacity of the ground as 30,000 is adequate and I agree. Nonetheless the facility needs improving.

4) I think Waggott has some good ideas but seeing those come to fruition is another matter. The owners have rarely shown interest in significant capital investment in facilities other than basic maintenance costs so it might take a long time or a change of heart from them to ever see this happen.

Loads of clubs have build new grounds or stands and have moved home fans to allow that to happen without long term damage to crowds. It just has to be done sensibly.

Edited by JHRover
  • Like 1

Iv'e travelled around and stayed in countless Travelodges, Prem, Holiday Inns etc and there are a lot worse places to stay than Ewood.

A football ground has a unique selling point as opposed to a town centre and lets face it if you just want a bed for the night it's better looking out onto a pitch than litter strewn streets surely ?

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Paul said:

I understand about the proximity to motorways but I feel more than that is required. When I travelled I wanted interesting restaurants, perhaps a decent pub etc. nearby. The last place I wanted to be in the evening was in the hotel which is simply a room and a bed.

I see your point but within a stones throw of Ewood we now have:

Premier Inn Blackburn Town Centre
Fernhurst Hotel
Premier In Blackburn South
Willows Blackburn
Travel Lodge Blackburn / Darwen (M65)
Wetherspoons Postal Order (Creating a hotel)
Doubletree by Hilton Whitebirk with wedding and conference centre

This shows that hotel chains see sustainability in and around Blackburn. The Hilton one is of particular interest, with the already existing facilities at Ewood and car parking close proximity to motorway network, with a little imagination and creativity Ewood could be an excellent wedding, conference and accommodation venue.

This could see a significant return on the costs incurred in redeveloping the Riverside. Maybe a smaller capacity stand which incorporated good disabled seating, Hotel facilities, that complement the conference and event facilities in the Jack Walker Stand and Blackburn End, maybe a state of the art gym within the Darwen End.

Making Ewood a 7 days a week, 52 weeks a year money maker. 

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Any Chief Executive worth his salt would have thoughts on rebuilding the Riverside. For several reasons:

1) Like the Riverside or not it is outdated and poor in comparison to the majority of Premier League/Championship facilities these days. Grounds with worse facilities e.g. Brentford and Luton, are being knocked down in the near future. The lack of a covered concourse, adequate disabled facilities and obstructed views all need addressing. 

2) In an era of Ffp issues it is silly to have a side stand with absolutely no facilities to generate non matchday income. Office space, conference, hospitality, retail, hotel whatever is most appropriate any could be incorporated into a new stand and used to generate income to offset against losses. An investment of say £4-5 million in a new stand over the next 10 years could comfortably recoup the investment.

3) This isn't an issue in terms of attendances - the argument from some will be that we don't need a new stand because we don't need the capacity - Waggott seems to get that e.g. at the Shareholders Meeting last week he said any new Riverside stand would not add to the capacity of the ground as 30,000 is adequate and I agree. Nonetheless the facility needs improving.

4) I think Waggott has some good ideas but seeing those come to fruition is another matter. The owners have rarely shown interest in significant capital investment in facilities other than basic maintenance costs so it might take a long time or a change of heart from them to ever see this happen.

Loads of clubs have build new grounds or stands and have moved home fans to allow that to happen without long term damage to crowds. It just has to be done sensibly.

Waggott's priorities are to bring in additional revenue (not just on matchdays) and move us away from the benefactor model. Been said many times.

They can knock down the Riverside.

Move the fans into the closed areas of the other 3 sides.

Reduce the capacity.

Reduce the matchday running costs.

Lease the land out to someone who will build a hotel leaving Ewood as a 3 sided ground. A hotel with balconies etc would at least look better than a Normid Superstore. TV gantries can form part of the hotel so we look like a full ground on Sky.

Surely this is a more likely outcome / business decision.

Fans emotions aside, why would anyone build a new stand when there are already 3 more than half empty stands?

Edited by OldEwoodBlue

Just now, OldEwoodBlue said:

Waggott's priorities are to bring in additional revenue (not just on matchdays) and move us away from the benefactor model. Been said many times.

Move the fans into thI stille closed areas of the other 3 sides.

Reduce the capacity.

Lease the land out to someone who will build a hotel leaving Ewood as a 3 sided ground. A hotel with balconies etc would at least look better than a Normid Superstore. TV gantries can form part of the hotel so we look like a full ground on Sky.

Fans emotions aside, why would anyone build a new stand when there are already 3 more than half empty stands?

I still have the dream we'll fill the ground on all four sides again one day.

A Hotel,the much mooted Rovers Museum,gym facilities,a day to day community centre,restaurant with a fast food takeaway coupled with outside financial investment in the new Stand with naming rights...the possibilities are endless.

A new 5,000 single tier stand like the Tom Finney at Deepdale to raise it to the height of the BBE and Darwen End...you could even fill in the corners like they have at Turf Moor with dedicated disabled facilities.

Needs some drive and forward thinking..not holding my breath!!

Edited by SIMON GARNERS 194
  • Like 6

Just now, OldEwoodBlue said:

Move the fans into the closed areas of the other 3 sides.

Reduce the capacity.

I’d be absolutely against a three side ground model. Tin pot!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Paul said:

I often work away and stay wherever they put me, not really arsed. If I stay in say a travel lodge though they're always full of workers, be it sales reps or scaffolders I rarely go to a quiet one!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ossydave said:

I often work away and stay wherever they put me, not really arsed. If I stay in say a travel lodge though they're always full of workers, be it sales reps or scaffolders I rarely go to a quiet one!

Which is one of the reasons I used to avoid them. My situation was different. I had a budget and provided I stayed within that I could stay and eat where I wanted.

I've turned this over in my mind and feel I'm probably wrong. If an office based person is simply booking a convenient location at the right price for a travelling rep, building team etc. then yes a hotel at Ewood could work.

If there is an aspiration to build a hotel offering more than this then I would still have my doubts. 

If I was looking for a wedding reception or similar I'm not sure the Ewood area is where I'd want to be.

@pk1875 I think you make some very good points there. I remain to be convinced about weddings and other social events but with the right marketing commercial activities would work. The key though is marketing. I went to numerous events at Old Trafford for no reason other than that was where the event was. The fact it's the home of Utd was irrelevant. The difficulty of course is marketing as Rovers management continue to prove they are poor at marketing football let alone anything else.

A reduced capacity stand would be a plus point.

Edited by Paul
  • Like 1