BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Attendances

Neal

On 30/11/2019 at 11:22, HowieFive0 said:

Ive said it before on here and ill say it again ..want to increase attendances ? ...charge 25 quid ....put a free bar on 1-15pm to 2-45pm ..people can order only two drinks at once but by all means queue up again . Do it on three Saturday home games ..one week BBE then JW then Riverside. No swapping Season tickets to other parts of the ground ..keep it fair.

It would  guarantee an increase of 2000-3000 each week if not more and bloody better atmosphere more akin to an Away game. If its anything that people want its something for nothing and more so when alcohol involved (sadly) Yes it is sad having to get people in for other things rather than the football but the beauty of an Away game is simply have a good day on the pi55 and football second for a lot of people.

I was thinking along the same lines. 

Why doesn't the club introduce cheap prices in the 'Fanzone' area.

£2 a pint (they get it for around a £1 so will still be making a profit and will make more profit because of more sales). 

I know that it will effect the few local pubs still going around the area but so that goes. 

(and while i'm at it... reopen the Darwen End for home fans. Stop employing private security firms for a non-existent threat (which added £££ to the cost of policing a home game). The atmosphere has gone down since this cost cutting measure). 

Edited by barry_
  • Like 2

Even if we get a ‘decent crowd’ against Wigan, say 17,000 or so. It will still look awful on TV at that end of the ground, as the thousand or so Wigan fans will be in a corner of the DE upper tier and all Sky viewers will see will be an enormous empty bottom tier and other empty seats in the JW lower.

33 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Even if we get a ‘decent crowd’ against Wigan, say 17,000 or so. It will still look awful on TV at that end of the ground, as the thousand or so Wigan fans will be in a corner of the DE upper tier and all Sky viewers will see will be an enormous empty bottom tier and other empty seats in the JW lower.

B1366878-1007-43E2-A995-90CB4B651B8A.jpeg

15 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Why do people need "excuses" as to how they spend their time and money? A short burst of wins at home will not suddenly lead to a sharp increase in attendances. And ultimately, it is unrealistic to expect it to continue indefinitely.

The hard core are already attending. A return to the Premier League would be the best way to improve attendances. Failing that, the baton is not with the fans who clearly can take or leave attending, it is with Waggott who is doing his best to limit potential attendances with his aggressive and poorly thought out pricing policies.

I don't know why people need excuses, but I am sure people do use them. To think they don't is naive.

It happens over here for GAA all the time. Stuff like "oh I wont go as long as so and so is the manager" No, you won't go cos your a lazy sod, who is all talk! You spend your money on booze, fags and gambling! There are people like that. 

Honestly, the pricing thing is a bit of an excuse. It seems people focus on the Cat A tickets, but I always see great deals online for multi-game packages. Also, comparative to other teams in the division, they are average price, or cheaper. Also the £3 "Waggot tax" should be abolished, but is that really reason not to go? Genuinely. 

I do think initiatives like happy hour , 2 for 1 on pints, raffles, giveaways and general entertainment could be better. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Honestly, the pricing thing is a bit of an excuse. It seems people focus on the Cat A tickets, but I always see great deals online for multi-game packages. 

Pricing is an excuse? It was £33- £35 if you made a decision to go on the day and fancied sitting in the Jack Walker on Saturday. Mid table second division football! 

But anyway the match day prices are a bit of a red herring. In the PL we only had around 2/3000 match day ticket buyers, it’s not much different now, we just had 15 to 20,000 ST holders instead of 8/9,000.

We didn’t sell enough season tickets this summer and as ST holders make up the vast majority of our attendees, crowds are stagnating.

Edited by Mattyblue

Just now, Mattyblue said:

Pricing is an excuse? It was £33- £35 if you made a decision to go on the day and fancied sitting in the Jack Walker on Saturday. Mid table second division football! 

But anyway the match day prices are a bit of a red herring. In the PL we only had around 2/3000 match day ticket buyers, it’s not much different now, we just had 15 to 20,000 ST holders instead of 8/9,000.

We didn’t sell enough season tickets this summer and as ST holders make up the vast majority of our attendees, crowds are stagnating.

I mean that's how much tickets are for games pretty much everywhere. Jesus it's more than that for an Ireland game and they should really be paying us to go. It's €50 I think. Although I'm a glutton for punishment so get a season ticket, premium though so I can go to the bar for some medication as I choose :D 

I think that's the nub of it you touch on, it's about flogging season tickets. I mean they are pretty feckin reasonable price wise. The thing is though, it's a bit outlay for some all the same. Plus, we were pretty frustrating last season. It would be interesting to see how they would sell if we had a great season, ie got to the play-offs. 

You might have 1200 Wigan fans in one side and 400 home fans in the other under the old system in the DE BUT you'd have an actual bit of atmosphere at that end. Plus looking better on the TV, feeling a lot better in the ground however some lads in hoods  though might flick the vs at each other and shout over a fence, row of netted off seats and a few stewards !

Can't have that at Ewood in 2019, call the robocops and shut the ground !!!

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I mean that's how much tickets are for games pretty much everywhere. 

Our ticketing and pricing policies are failing. The evidence is in the deterioration in numbers in the ground, significantly even on what we were getting during the Bowyer era.

Every single time Rovers run a ticketing promotion they attach strings to it.

Good that they have slashed prices for the Wigan game. But let's get real - 24 hours before Xmas day, Monday night, live on TV - it would be insanity to charge full whack Category A and expect people to come.

So we have to offer something better than sitting at home or in the pub in the warmth and use sky rather than rushing home after work, buying a ticket, getting wet/cold. It's a sad reality that a large number, even at 10 quid, will just not bother because the minute they discover it is on Sky the decision is made.

Previously strings have been attached by offering cheap bundles tying people into multiple games including midweeks.

Should have made the Birmingham game the promotion and pushed it. Would have had a big gate on and a good day out but at Category A prices probably not.

Just now, JHRover said:

Our ticketing and pricing policies are failing. The evidence is in the deterioration in numbers in the ground, significantly even on what we were getting during the Bowyer era.

Every single time Rovers run a ticketing promotion they attach strings to it.

Good that they have slashed prices for the Wigan game. But let's get real - 24 hours before Xmas day, Monday night, live on TV - it would be insanity to charge full whack Category A and expect people to come.

So we have to offer something better than sitting at home or in the pub in the warmth and use sky rather than rushing home after work, buying a ticket, getting wet/cold. It's a sad reality that a large number, even at 10 quid, will just not bother because the minute they discover it is on Sky the decision is made.

Previously strings have been attached by offering cheap bundles tying people into multiple games including midweeks.

Should have made the Birmingham game the promotion and pushed it. Would have had a big gate on and a good day out but at Category A prices probably not.

Most clubs are in the same boat though and some still getting good crowds. Interesting to see though that Newcastle are struggling, they used to always get full houses or close enough. 

The red button or the pub, pint and fire is just too convenient for some. 

8 hours ago, barry_ said:

I was thinking along the same lines. 

Why doesn't the club introduce cheap prices in the 'Fanzone' area.

£2 a pint (they get it for around a £1 so will still be making a profit and will make more profit because of more sales). 

I know that it will effect the few local pubs still going around the area but so that goes. 

(and while i'm at it... reopen the Darwen End for home fans. Stop employing private security firms for a non-existent threat (which added £££ to the cost of policing a home game). The atmosphere has gone down since this cost cutting measure). 

I wish. 

23 minutes ago, tomphil said:

You might have 1200 Wigan fans in one side and 400 home fans in the other under the old system in the DE BUT you'd have an actual bit of atmosphere at that end. Plus looking better on the TV, some lads in hoods  though might flick the vs at each other and shout over a fence, row of netted off seats and a few stewards !

Can't have that at Ewood in 2019, call the robocops and shut the ground !!!

Brilliant atmosphere at times. 

• Like 1

The Huddersfield away end has it right. 
It holds about 4,000. 2500 or so for away fans, leaving around 1000- 1200 for home fans after segregation.

Hudds home section is therefore about half the size of the old DEnd home section and could easily be replicated.

Ignore the metal barrier in the middle of the stand, get one of those moveable segregation gates in the concourse and give away fans, say 3,500 lower tier seats (they can have extra upper tier seats, if needed). Then the segregation netting and leave 800-1000 seats for home fans. I’m in no doubt that we could fill 800 or so seats if we promote it as a singing section, help with flags and banners etc.

The atmosphere at Ewood would be immeasurably improved.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I don't know why people need excuses, but I am sure people do use them. To think they don't is naive.

It happens over here for GAA all the time. Stuff like "oh I wont go as long as so and so is the manager" No, you won't go cos your a lazy sod, who is all talk! You spend your money on booze, fags and gambling! There are people like that. 

Honestly, the pricing thing is a bit of an excuse. It seems people focus on the Cat A tickets, but I always see great deals online for multi-game packages. Also, comparative to other teams in the division, they are average price, or cheaper. Also the £3 "Waggot tax" should be abolished, but is that really reason not to go? Genuinely. 

I do think initiatives like happy hour , 2 for 1 on pints, raffles, giveaways and general entertainment could be better. 

Its a bizarre mentality that you share with quite a lot of other people, that people need to excuse the fact that they arent attending. It isnt an obligation to part with considerable money and free time to watch Rovers, certainly not to those who arent already attending. Your point about GAA fans not attending games is obviously not related to Rovers but again, I dont get how you can berate and lambast people for spending their hard earned money how they please.

But there is no point the club employing this mentality as it is not constructive, but seemingly with passive aggressive marketing campaigns questioning commitment, I think they are. The hard core element are there almost regardless, its the floating fans, the ones for whom they have other commitments, maybe financial restrictions like everyone else, maybe they arent as interested, whatever the reason, attending every other week isnt an absolute must. Once upon the time, the club would have proactively thought, how can we get them back into the ground. Now, there seems to be a malaise spreading, an attitude of, how dare they choose not to attend regardless of cost and circumstance, lets berate them for it instead. If Waggott views attending as an obligation, as something that must be a priority, then essentially he is eliminating himself from any control over attending, his pricing strategies, surcharges, anything he does is irrelevant, the onus is all on the fans. That will not improve attendances.

The Waggott tax is presumably partly out of principle, but it is another price hike that will make it even dearer for people who for whatever reason, maybe their own game has been cancelled, they have managed to get out of working last minute, other plans have been cancelled, whatever. Against Sheffield Wednesday, £36-£45 became £39 to £48. £39 was the cheapest you could pay if you decided on the day to attend. Against Derby, if you wanted a ticket in the Blackburn End but couldnt commit last minute, itll cost you £31.

I suspect that you dont quite have your finger on the pulse, no disrespect, but obviously your comparison is GAA and often you reference prices to watch Ireland. Ultimately, they are international matches in a different country so a different economic state and are far less frequent than Championship games, so the comparison available is incredibly limited.

You also dont attend games, but I am not having a go, it is a very good reason based on the distance, or as you would word it, excuse! But I am not sure that you are entitled to lambast others for not attending as a result, personally.

14 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Its a bizarre mentality that you share with quite a lot of other people, that people need to excuse the fact that they arent attending. It isnt an obligation to part with considerable money and free time to watch Rovers, certainly not to those who arent already attending. Your point about GAA fans not attending games is obviously not related to Rovers but again, I dont get how you can berate and lambast people for spending their hard earned money how they please.

But there is no point the club employing this mentality as it is not constructive, but seemingly with passive aggressive marketing campaigns questioning commitment, I think they are. The hard core element are there almost regardless, its the floating fans, the ones for whom they have other commitments, maybe financial restrictions like everyone else, maybe they arent as interested, whatever the reason, attending every other week isnt an absolute must. Once upon the time, the club would have proactively thought, how can we get them back into the ground. Now, there seems to be a malaise spreading, an attitude of, how dare they choose not to attend regardless of cost and circumstance, lets berate them for it instead. If Waggott views attending as an obligation, as something that must be a priority, then essentially he is eliminating himself from any control over attending, his pricing strategies, surcharges, anything he does is irrelevant, the onus is all on the fans. That will not improve attendances.

The Waggott tax is presumably partly out of principle, but it is another price hike that will make it even dearer for people who for whatever reason, maybe their own game has been cancelled, they have managed to get out of working last minute, other plans have been cancelled, whatever. Against Sheffield Wednesday, £36-£45 became £39 to £48. £39 was the cheapest you could pay if you decided on the day to attend. Against Derby, if you wanted a ticket in the Blackburn End but couldnt commit last minute, itll cost you £31.

I suspect that you dont quite have your finger on the pulse, no disrespect, but obviously your comparison is GAA and often you reference prices to watch Ireland. Ultimately, they are international matches in a different country so a different economic state and are far less frequent than Championship games, so the comparison available is incredibly limited.

You also dont attend games, but I am not having a go, it is a very good reason based on the distance, or as you would word it, excuse! But I am not sure that you are entitled to lambast others for not attending as a result, personally.

Ok,first sentence before I go further,what are you on about? I dont think they need to make excuses,I dont give a shite, I am saying people do use them. I have given examples. What's so difficult for you to understand? 

Plus I'm not lambasting anyone, nor have I. I'm having conversations with rational posters plus one argumentative little bollox.

As for not seeing the relevance of my comparisons between 2 sports. That doesn't surprise me. I'd say you have never been outside Blackburn. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

4 hours ago, Scotland1 said:

We have donated complimentary tickets to Bury supporter trust if they leave a name and address they get a ticket for the Birmingham match. That’s for all Bury fans who’d be interested in attending.

Hasnt gone down to well.

it has gone down very well on the bury fc forum and supporters facebook page every comment is positive and say what a fantastic gesture it is, no one else has offered them anything

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

The Huddersfield away end has it right. 
It holds about 4,000. 2500 or so for away fans, leaving around 1000- 1200 for home fans after segregation.

Hudds home section is therefore about half the size of the old DEnd home section and could easily be replicated.

Ignore the metal barrier in the middle of the stand, get one of those moveable segregation gates in the concourse and give away fans, say 3,500 lower tier seats (they can have extra upper tier seats, if needed). Then the segregation netting and leave 800-1000 seats for home fans. I’m in no doubt that we could fill 800 or so seats if we promote it as a singing section, help with flags and banners etc.

The atmosphere at Ewood would be immeasurably improved.

There are already big hefty metal barriers on the concourse pal. That stand was designed to be able to be split between home and away fans. 

• Like 1