BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Attendances

Neal

Just now, Paul said:

My posted stated "tickets, promotion and sales." Sorry if I wasn't clear but the last few pages have been about the one-off promotion for the Wigan game.

It has no bearing on season tickets.

Ah I see, I thought you meant use that pricing structure all season long rather than for the odd game .

• Like 1

They really shouldn't have the audacity to moan about crowds again anytime soon from within the club. Most of the extra fans drawn in over Christmas will now be bored off again with the same old team, tactic revolving rubbish with the same poor performance end result.

It makes me laugh how they make a song and dance about getting more in then when they do they turn in insipid unambitious efforts like the last 2 games. If you were a director you'd at least be having a word with the manager and stressing the importance of having a good go.  No guarantees of course in football and at least they didn't lose but if you don't have a go you won't win.

Back again to the disjointed poor stuff that two average teams have come and got amongst us and found it easy to go away with something. Only the hardcore will keep turning out for that.

• Like 5

On 24/12/2019 at 14:33, Paul said:

I don't know if this has been suggested before or not. Last night we discussed tickets, promotion and sales.

An idea we came up with similar to how easyJet et al sell plane tickets. Figures for example only

First 5,000 @ £10

Second 5,000 @ £15

Third 5,000 @ £20

The rest at full price

That’s actually a really interesting and novel idea. But I think it‘s attractive because the starting price is a tenner.

It is better value for money if you buy early, which is the same logic as the Waggott Tax only the starting price is certainly a big incentive.

Sadly, based on what we have seen so far it would more likely be rolled out with first 5,000 at full price then increasing thereafter.

I’d vote for your model Paul. ST holders pay a little more per game than the first walk-ons (£3-ish) because they have the certainty of their own seat.

26 minutes ago, Stuart said:

That’s actually a really interesting and novel idea. But I think it‘s attractive because the starting price is a tenner.

It is better value for money if you buy early, which is the same logic as the Waggott Tax only the starting price is certainly a big incentive.

Sadly, based on what we have seen so far it would more likely be rolled out with first 5,000 at full price then increasing thereafter.

I’d vote for your model Paul. ST holders pay a little more per game than the first walk-ons (£3-ish) because they have the certainty of their own seat.

But what is wrong with encouraging people to buy early if tickets are a tenner? If you miss out tough shit,at the end of the days it's only another fiver to get a ticket then. Personally I just dont think the fan base is there is to sell more than 15,000 season tickets, ever. 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

But what is wrong with encouraging people to buy early if tickets are a tenner? If you miss out tough shit,at the end of the days it's only another fiver to get a ticket then. Personally I just dont think the fan base is there is to sell more than 15,000 season tickets, ever. 

Ever? In this league, I presume you mean?

We had 20,000 ST holders in 2010. We still had around 15,000 under Ke*n.

Edited by Mattyblue

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Nothing. That was my point.

Disagree with your last sentence.

Just now, Mattyblue said:

Ever? In this league, I presume you mean?

We had 20,000 ST holders in 2010. We still had around 15,000 under Ke*n.

Just now, Stuart said:

Nothing. That was my point.

Disagree with your last sentence.

You both know more than me on this. I just dont understand how there could be almost 30,000 at the Oxford game and then 11-14 thousand regulars. Are they really fans? Like would they attend every week in the premiership. I'm not sure, but as I said,ye certainly know more than me about this. 

Oxford was a one off game. Bank holiday, nice weather, £10 a ticket, late KO that allowed a day on the ale, promotion party with an outside chance of a title win.

Liverpool had around half a million lining the streets when they won the CL, are all of them committed fans that would go every week? No of course not, just there for the craic most of them.

Thats just how it is. When John Williams took over as Chief Exec in 1998 the board told him ‘you have 8,000 fans’, Williams replied with ‘but we have 20,000+ home fans through the gate every game!?’.

They meant that we have 8,000 that will turn up, no questions asked, however dire, the rest have varying levels of commitment. Some will pick their games, some will buy a ST on the back of a good summer in the transfer market or a strong end to the previous season, some will only turn out for £10 or a glamour cup tie or Burnley games. And yes some are just PL fans. We are not alone in this, Burnley’s gates have doubled. As will Preston’s if they go up.

Just par for the course for a club based in a deprived town in east Lancs with little in the way of catchment area, challenging demographics and the most competitive region in the country for professional clubs.

So with all that being said average crowds of 13-15,000 when we’ve spent the majority of the decade in the doldrums in the second tier (and third) ain’t too bad.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 5

Ultimately there were 2 home games this season where there was going to be a plethora of 'walk ons'. A major opportunity to entertain and entice missing fans back. Sadly they were 2 bore draws and nobody could have left Ewood feeling that they had been entertained and got their moneys worth, tenner or not for one of them. A big opportunity missed IMO.

• Like 7

27 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Oxford was a one off game. Bank holiday, nice weather, £10 a ticket, late KO that allowed a day on the ale, promotion party with an outside chance of a title win.

Liverpool had around half a million lining the streets when they won the CL, are all of them committed fans that would go every week? No of course not, just there for the craic most of them.

Thats just how it is. When John Williams took over as Chief Exec in 1998 the board told him ‘you have 8,000 fans’, Williams replied with ‘but we have 20,000+ home fans through the gate every game!?’.

They meant that we have 8,000 that will turn up, no questions asked, however dire, the rest have varying levels of commitment. Some will pick their games, some will buy a ST on the back of a good summer in the transfer market or a strong end to the previous season, some will only turn out for £10 or a glamour cup tie or Burnley games. And yes some are just PL fans. We are not alone in this, Burnley’s gates have doubled. As will Preston’s if they go up.

Just par for the course for a club based in a deprived town in east Lancs with little in the way of catchment area, challenging demographics and the most competitive region in the country for professional clubs.

So with all that being said average crowds of 13-15,000 when we’ve spent the majority of the decade in the doldrums in the second tier (and third) ain’t too bad.

John Williams took up that challenge though.

With everything that has happened (actions not words) since Waggott turned up, one could be forgiven for thinking that faced with the same statement he’d simply have got out his calculator and typed ‘8 0 0 0 x’ and then asked how much pies cost...

• Like 1

I guess it could be worse.. I know we shouldn't be comparing ourselves to the likes of Wigan and they are bottom of the league. But they had £10 all areas of the ground for their boxing day 3pm not on sky ko vs derby (who brought c.3k). Only a total of just over 14k on.

Edited by BRFC4EVA

8 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

You both know more than me on this. I just dont understand how there could be almost 30,000 at the Oxford game and then 11-14 thousand regulars. Are they really fans? Like would they attend every week in the premiership. I'm not sure, but as I said,ye certainly know more than me about this. 

I come down down for it alone.Was 8 of us in total. 5 man u fans. Thev3 kids had man u tops on. My brother who had never been to a game before and 2 blackburn fans.

I Was sat in darwen lower and seen a pal from school who supports liverpool with his son high fiving the mascot.

There will be plenty on here with similiar experiences.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderation Lead

Went to Man City vs Port Vale on Saturday on a freebie....(allow it, I’m not changing allegiances).

Whilst I fully accept that their budgets are way beyond ours, the match day experience is way better than ours. 
Pints of Amstel for £4, loads of different queues, some for card, some for cash.

They missed a trick not selling Blue Moon though, IMO. Not just because it’s my favourite beer, but bloody hell, how many would they sell? 

37 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

Went to Man City vs Port Vale on Saturday on a freebie....(allow it, I’m not changing allegiances).

Whilst I fully accept that their budgets are way beyond ours, the match day experience is way better than ours. 
Pints of Amstel for £4, loads of different queues, some for card, some for cash.

They missed a trick not selling Blue Moon though, IMO. Not just because it’s my favourite beer, but bloody hell, how many would they sell? 

It's easier to make it special knowing 40,000 are going to be spending.  I think some days our home support is 7k.  

Although, citeh's corporate hospitality is on a different scale isnt it? Fantastic

1 hour ago, JoeH said:

https://www.swfc.co.uk/news/2020/january/10-year-season-ticket-on-sale-now/

10 year season ticket scheme including promotion bonuses and freezes etc. Amazing stuff

The Loons don't care, and innovation is irrelevant as a result. Pie in the sky, eight quid at the kiosk, if enough ordered in the first place.

11 hours ago, Proudtobeblue&white said:

The Loons don't care, and innovation is irrelevant as a result. Pie in the sky, eight quid at the kiosk, if enough ordered in the first place.

it is but I cannot imagine there would be a huge queue to lash 5 grand for 10 more years of dross, we'd be better focusing on smaller game packages 5 for 50 quid or something like that buy a ticket for 25 if you buy 2 and bring a friend the price goes down to 10 quid a ticket. The club needs to entice fans back that have fallen out of love with it, its not helped by the 4 bumper crowds we've had this season the games have been dross. We get a bit of interest get close to the play offs and the wheels fall off for 10 games

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, PeteJD13 said:

it is but I cannot imagine there would be a huge queue to lash 5 grand for 10 more years of dross, we'd be better focusing on smaller game packages 5 for 50 quid or something like that buy a ticket for 25 if you buy 2 and bring a friend the price goes down to 10 quid a ticket. The club needs to entice fans back that have fallen out of love with it, its not helped by the 4 bumper crowds we've had this season the games have been dross. We get a bit of interest get close to the play offs and the wheels fall off for 10 games

Not just 10 years though, two, three and four etc...

I'd definitely consider a two year ST, maybe even three years. It's a good way of getting cash in now, rather than hoping all your ST holders will return next season. Helps with FFP massively.

Just now, JoeH said:

Not just 10 years though, two, three and four etc...

I'd definitely consider a two year ST, maybe even three years. It's a good way of getting cash in now, rather than hoping all your ST holders will return next season. Helps with FFP massively.

I don't think they'll be a huge queue to renew this season either, we cant get tickets or offers out before the season ends, so its currently beyond the wit of the club to anything dynamic