Sign in to follow this  
Neal

Attendances

1 hour ago, MCMC1875 said:

Diabolical performance by BWD borough council who destroyed the car parks at Ewood and have staff up and down Livesey Branch Road dishing out tickets on match days.

Ah the good old council. Rather than putting empty land at Ewood to use by allowing people to park there in safety they build a gypsy camp there and leave the rest to fall into rack and ruin. Then put extra parking wardens on duty and drop them all off ahead of the game to try and issue some fines to boost the coffers. Trying to exploit Rovers fans for extra cash. Disgusting. Meanwhile the town goes to the dogs.

The council are complicit in the difficulties.

6 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

Nope. Matchday experience is what happens on matchday and is connected to the match. The clue is in MatchDAY. 

Nope.  PNE put on coaches for home fans and advertise them on their website. They want to help with the matchday experience for their fans.

I don't agree with this. To my mind what the club do in and around the ground is the matchday experience. This the club can influence directly.

Transport to the ground is a different issue. Yes buses from various areas is a good idea but only impacts matchday for an extremely limited number of fans. As an exampke this might benefit 50 Chorley based supporters.

Would busing fans to the ground help attendance? It's impossible to know without trying it. People are wedded to their cars and persuading them to use public transport, park and ride etc. is extremely difficult. A trial which carefully monitored users - existing ST holders against "others" - would be interesting.

The original post I responded to stated clearly the experience at Ewood is inferior to that of the Crown Ground. The point being made is the matchday experience at Ewood needs improving for the 12,000 or so people in the ground.

3 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

I've been going for years and you can park anywhere on moorgate street and walk down.  I dont understand.  Ok if there are disabled then that's different but if you cant be arsed walking for 10 minutes each way then I don't know. 

Yep. Never had a problem parking near the ground for £3 just off LBR. Currently we chose to use the DE car park which is £200.

Parking is only an issue if you chose to make it one. Some sections of on steet parking for matchday have been relaxed. I don't know how widespread this is as I only notice the area I drive through.

10 hours ago, arbitro said:

I pay £3.50 fare from Darwen and I think the double decker bus is around £180 to hire. We are dropped off at Ewood WMC and picked up behind the old Albion pub. It does seem we given priority over traffic afterwards and quite often are back at the Craven Heifer pub before 5.20.

I might have chatted to you quite a few times and never known. I get the bus from Park Inn at top of Watery Lane (when I go).

Have to echo another post, if that bus weren’t an option, my dad simply couldn’t get to Ewood. Any other option is too much hassle.

The majority of Rovers fans will of been taken to their first game by a family member, who was probably taken to their first game by another family member.

To look at this you need to put yourselves in the position of someone who has never been to a match at Ewood or potentially any other sporting event anywhere.

Going to your first game, without being taken, isn't as straight forward a process as it could be, granted the Internet probably makes it easier than it was 20-30 years it's easy to find ticket info online and buy tickets.  But where would you sit, where would you feel safest with your kids, how much swearing will there be, will the traffic be bad, where will I park, will there be problems with away fans as I go back to my car.

All things that once you've been to a couple of games probably don't seem like an issue, but if you never been they are all reasons why you might take the kids to the cinema instead.

A simple to use well publicised park and ride that you can pre-book and guarantee a simple and straight forward match day experience has got to help, the first time fan, but it's not going to instantly add thousands on to the average gate.  I'd probably go as far as to say it probably wouldn't get that much use on a matchday as there is so much on street parking, so would no doubt be cancelled as a failure.

Edited by BobdaBuilder
missed a bit

13 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

A lot of this goes back to when the club decided to de-affiliate from supporters clubs 20 years back of whenever it was. Most withered on the vine, losing that connection to the club in the region.

Most decently sized clubs have a network of affiliated branches, London Branch aside, we have nowt. 

A strange decision that to this day makes no sense.

18 hours ago, HowieFive0 said:

Cmon Paul lets not get silly. People just saying there are ways n means of getting the attendances up. 

Youre talking like you don't know the demographics of who and where Rovers fans come from ..something aimed at Waggott on many occasions ..im sure youre more switched on than that …?

Yes it was a tongue in cheek, somewhat silly remark. My response was to a post regarding PNE busing fans in and there had been, at that point, no examples of what Stanley do. Now I understand there is an ultras section, live music, real ale marquees and cheap beer after a win. This is a different proposition.

I have some understanding of our demographic in that the town has a wide ethnic mix, low income base and small population. I don't know more but given this I'd argue attracting more fans from the town will be difficult and achieving the 20,000 often cited here needs 40-50% of those fans to come from outside Blackburn.

I live halfway between Chorley and Blackburn. At our peak around 30-35 fans left my village from 2.00pm onwards. With one exception these were families - I took four kids, another family was six in total. That's eleven from two households. Today I'm aware of four, yes 4, who go to every match. Three are me and two sons.

I'm still in touch with the majority of parents and know their children have moved and are spread across the UK. As an aside this is why free child tickets etc. have an immediate effect but low long-term impact.

Going back to demographics the Stanley initiative addresses, for me, a very narrow demographic. At 64 I don't want to stand in a tent, drinking beer listening to a local band. I enjoy each of those things but not at Ewood on matchday. I'd suggest the supporter this is aimed at would be 18-25, possibly 30 at a push.

Thinking about the out of town fan and people I know with an interest in football. None go to football to drink, many will not, including myself, drink and drive at all.  I may well be wrong but I think this would be commonplace amongst many of the target fans.

Taking this deeper. I started watching Rovers in I think '82 possibly '83 when we moved to the area. It's a long story but I wandered in to Ewood one Saturday and immediately was hooked. I had 3-4 seasons alone and then took children for around 13-14 seasons. A beer tent and rock music is the last thing I needed with up to four kids in tow. By the end of this I'd hit early 40s and life had changed.

My argument would be the majority who regularly question the club's commitment to or understanding of where the support would come from and how to attract them don't consider much of this. Those making this criticism look only at a narrow demographic, ignore out of town support and believe free child tickets build the future fan base, it doesn't.

In the era of 20,000+ home fans the crowd could be split in to core support, floating Rovers fans and those who simply wanted PL football. The only solution to returning to those levels of support is PL football. Everything else is window dressing.

Edited by Paul

Just now, Paul said:

Yes it was a tongue in cheek, somewhat silly remark. My response was to a post regarding PNE busing fans in and there had been, at that point, no examples of what Stanley do. Now I understand there is an ultras section, live music, real ale marquees and cheap beer after a win. This is a different proposition.

I have some understanding of our demographic in that the town has a wide ethnic mix, low income base and small population. I don't know more but given this I'd argue attracting more fans from the town will be difficult and achieving the 20,000 often cited here needs 40-50% of those fans to come from outside Blackburn.

I live halfway between Chorley and Blackburn. At our peak around 30-35 fans left my village from 2.00pm onwards. With one exception these were families - I took four kids, another family was six in total. That's eleven from two households. Today I'm aware of four, yes 4, who go to every match. Three are me and two sons.

I'm still in touch with the majority of parents and know their children have moved and are spread across the UK. As an aside this is why free child tickets etc. have an immediate effect but low long-term impact.

Going back to demographics the Stanley initiative addresses, for me, a very narrow demographic. At 64 I don't want to stand in a tent, drinking beer listening to a local band. I enjoy each of those things but not at Ewood on matchday. I'd suggest the supporter this is aimed at would be 18-25, possibly 30 at a push.

Thinking about the out of town fan and people I know with an interest in football. None go to football to drink, many will not, including myself, drink and drive at all.  I may well be wrong but I think this would be commonplace amongst many of the target fans.

Taking this deeper. I started watching Rovers in I think '82 possibly '83 when we moved to the area. It's a long story but I wandered in to Ewood one Saturday and immediately was hooked. I had 3-4 seasons alone and then took children for around 13-14 seasons. A beer tent and rock music is the last thing I needed with up to four kids in tow. By the end of this I'd hit early 40s.

My argument would be the majority who regularly question the club's commitment to or understanding of where the support would come from and how to attract them don't consider much of this. Those making this criticism look only at a narrow demographic, ignore out of town support and believe free child tickets build the future fan base, it doesn't.

In the era of 20,000+ home fans the crowd could be split in to core support, floating Rovers fans and those who simply wanted PL football. The only solution to returning to those levels of support is PL football. Everything else is window dressing.

Which is why we need to do the right things as a club to get us there. Certainly while Venkys are propping up their mistakes.

But in the meantime, it doesn’t mean the club shouldn’t try to do something different. We could be another decade or more out of the top flight. We will still need to attract fans - possibly even more so.

The big problem is that what ever short term offer they make, you won’t get a stadium full of people all paying £400+ so they also need to get smarter at getting bums on seats while subsidising it through sponsorship.

8 hours ago, Mike E said:

I might have chatted to you quite a few times and never known. I get the bus from Park Inn at top of Watery Lane (when I go).

Have to echo another post, if that bus weren’t an option, my dad simply couldn’t get to Ewood. Any other option is too much hassle.

I remember the bus stopping for people from the Park to get on but not recently. Quite a few get off at the top of Watery Lane and further down at the Function Room.

I know of at least two contributors to this site who are usually on the bus.

26 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Which is why we need to do the right things as a club to get us there. Certainly while Venkys are propping up their mistakes.

But in the meantime, it doesn’t mean the club shouldn’t try to do something different. We could be another decade or more out of the top flight. We will still need to attract fans - possibly even more so.

The big problem is that what ever short term offer they make, you won’t get a stadium full of people all paying £400+ so they also need to get smarter at getting bums on seats while subsidising it through sponsorship.

I very much agree with you except on price as it's currently possible to get an ST at £319-£349, £14-15/match in round figures. Matchday comparable prices are £22-27 so an ST is, for me, outstanding value offering savings of £7-12. Just how much do people expect? I don't understand or know Stuart, do you? I really cannot understand why at £15 price is an issue. It's £10 at Chorley stood on an open terrace watching through the back of someone's head! I like going to Chorley on a warm, sunny Saturday when Rovers are away and I have , literally, nothing else to do - twice last season. Re matchday prices, yes, I would think twice about paying £27 which is why I've had an ST for 35 years - price just doesn't come in to it.

We need to do all we can to get more people in to Ewood but I cannot understand how buses and beer will have a significant impact.

One idea I've never heard explored is this - credit union loans. When I was active with Rovers Trust this was a topic we explored but never really managed to progress. I don't know if it has potential but it might be easier for those with a poor credit history, suspicion of major banks etc.

On the busing issue I would make another point. The No.24 Chorley-Blackburn service leaves the town centre and passes through east Chorley, Lower Wheelton, Higher Wheelton, Brinscall, Withnell, Abbey Village, Feniscowles so covering virtually all the villages between Chorley and Ewood - it stops at Ewood and takes 45 minutes from Chorley bus station. In all my time of going to Ewood I have, without a word of exaggeration, heard ONE person mention this ONCE ** - that's in 35 years. When a public service appears to be underused would the club really be able to offer a viable alternative? Perhaps a free journey for those showing the driver an ST?

** I do know the route changed some years ago but don't know when, today it stops at Ewood.

Edited by Paul

13 hours ago, Paul said:

On the busing issue I would make another point. The No.24 Chorley-Blackburn service leaves the town centre and passes through east Chorley, Lower Wheelton, Higher Wheelton, Brinscall, Withnell, Abbey Village, Feniscowles so covering virtually all the villages between Chorley and Ewood - it stops at Ewood and takes 45 minutes from Chorley bus station. In all my time of going to Ewood I have, without a word of exaggeration, heard ONE person mention this ONCE ** - that's in 35 years.

I use this service periodically. There is at most ten on the bus going to ewood and there is no service for a night match

On 19/05/2019 at 16:44, Sparks Rover said:

I can tell you that you are not alone walking up livesey branch road after a game, we come at about 2 15 every game and park near the top of moorgate.  A lady alone would be very safe indeed no matter what time of day.  

Some people just make problems 

It's not just about being safe. It's about feeling safe. And I'm not making a problem because I personally don't have one. I'm merely pointing out that there are potential advantages to a bus service for those coming on their own from further away. We ought to be encouraging as many people as possible to use public transport for all sorts of reasons