BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Attendances

Neal

6 hours ago, Blue blood said:

Poor attendances to me are down to 3 things: 

1) Cost - like it or not we've been in an age of austerity and that makes a difference. There's a reason shops like Aldi are growing, money generally is tight. Without wanting to defame Blackburn or the north west in general, I think it's fair to say Blackburn isn't the most affluent of areas, and relatively speaking the same for the north west. Whilst I'm not sure it's the sole or even primary factor, it does make a difference both practically and psychologically having higher prices than previously.

2) Winning / exciting football - probably in that order. We saw how when we got promoted for the final game we got a capacity crowd pretty much. Plus attendances in League 1 were better (I think). Why, in part because winning football tends to attract people, and nudge those on the fence into coming. Whilst there's no guarantees in football, if you think there's a better likelihood of you winning, it is a more attractive day out. This probably affects most people from full out bandwagon followers (can't say glory hunters at Rovers any more) to casual fans, all the way through to regular fans who don't have season tickets. (Again not trying to say all these fans are fickle, glory hunters etc. but that winning football influences people's eagerness to go.) Given we look set for another season of mid table nothingness, on top of a poor second half of last season, added in the attractiveness of the championship is much less than seeing the stars of the premier league, and it all amounts to less motivation to go. I think we're treading water with TM, and I reckon that' it's hard to motivate people to come for what looks to be another season of mid table slog. 

3) Fewer new fans coming through. I often share a story from teaching a footy mad class in Carlisle - over a decade ago now - where they all loved footy but all supported manure or liverpool, over their local team. With the saturation of seeing the big clubs very easily, with only the big clubs winning things, with all our media from match of the day through to shoot magazines glorifying only the top 6 and top La Liga teams, is it any wonder that kids decide to support these teams instead. In my opinion the imbalance of football with the power towards only a few big top clubs with a chance of winning anything is going to kill football, with most League 1 & 2 teams, and probably a few championship teams, not having a fan base left within the next 50, certainly 100 years.  Digression aside, I'd say Rovers like most other clubs, probably have less fans coming through as the big 6 hoover them up. 

To me that's a pretty bleak picture, but also one Rovers can actively combat on 3 points. Cost could be adjusted, with the many excellent and different suggestions people have made being a part of it. Winning football, a better manager could be instilled giving a sense of optimism (the most unlikely of the 3.) And young fans could be addressed in a whole host of ways from getting them to the ground - school tickets, cheap kid tickets, through to community work. In many ways the latter is a losing battle for many fans, but if we can stem the tide of children leaving for the big 6, hopefully we can survive long enough for the big 6 to bog off to a European league or better yet implode. As it is, without action on any of these 3 points, and I would suggest in co-ordination, then attendances won't get better. 

Great post.

I’m really really interested in how we go about point 3.

I think it can be done without point 2, to an extent, but not without addressing point 1.

Live football beats the TV hands down. But kids need heroes. This is why I was gutted when we lost Rhodes - good role model. Dack seems a bit aloof with fans. Not sure who our next talisman is.

• Like 1

Just now, Stuart said:

Great post.

I’m really really interested in how we go about point 3.

I think it can be done without point 2, to an extent, but not without addressing point 1.

Live football beats the TV hands down. But kids need heroes. This is why I was gutted when we lost Rhodes - good role model. Dack seems a bit aloof with fans. Not sure who our next talisman is.

Agree with the conjunction of point 1 & 3. Teeneagers can take themselves on their own but only if it is a) affordable and b) they already are into football and the club specifically.

To me that means affordable prices for kids and adults - especially as primary kids need to be taken so the adult needs to be able to afford it to. Combine that with a massive push to upper primary school - school tickets, lots of appearances at primary school, holiday club/soccer schools - maybe free highlights of Rovers somehow. So perhaps better social media engagement as they get into teenagers to keep more in their sphere. Just a few thoughts thinking out loud but we have to think seriously about it. 

1 hour ago, Proudtobeblue&white said:

Blackburn with Darwen just found to be the fourth most deprived area in the country. Thankfully Dingledom was second........and TM's birth place, bottom of the pile. Source Mirror last week!

Criticise TM all yu like but you could never say he was a snob!

On 15/09/2019 at 12:58, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

I have always suspected a modicum of resentment on their behalf to Jack's Philanthropism

Modicum? Hatred (and this isn't a case of exaggerating that word) is more than mere resentment. 

Radicalised terrorists probably carry the most hatred in general but the Walkers aren't far behind where this club is concerned.

Speaking of them £20 practically blew right at me last week during a particularly bad day. When the person with me wondered where it came from (almost as if it was some sort of minor divine response to what had happened that day) my response was "well I'm sure it didn't come from a member of the Walker family. They wouldn't drop 2p without noticing". 

Edited by Vinjay17

2 hours ago, 1864roverite said:

My personal view is that some fans and supporters have to swallow their pride and get back to Ewood Park to support loud and proud

"Swallow their pride" suggests that loads of fans are not attending and cutting off their nose to spite their faces.

The fans who arent already attending arent that arsed about going and will need enticing therefore your statement is absolutely meaningless.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, rigger said:

I have just got my ticket for QPR, as I am 60 it was a bargain £23.At the Rovers I would have to be 65.

I think that's only a bargain in comparison to the £33 adult price. For Rovers' next game at home you can get an adult ticket for less - £22 (or £19 with an 1875 membership).

I have just come out of the 60-65 age group. There are a few clubs that allow senior tickets from 60, notably in London. But the majority in the Championship don't.

Just now, only2garners said:

I think that's only a bargain in comparison to the £33 adult price. For Rovers' next game at home you can get an adult ticket for less - £22 (or £19 with an 1875 membership).

I have just come out of the 60-65 age group. There are a few clubs that allow senior tickets from 60, notably in London. But the majority in the Championship don't.

Did the Fans Forum meeting go ahead last week and when can we expect to see the minutes on the website ?

Was the ST sales and attendances discussed in detail ? 

Edited by OldEwoodBlue

4 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

"Swallow their pride" suggests that loads of fans are not attending and cutting off their nose to spite their faces.

The fans who arent already attending arent that arsed about going and will need enticing therefore your statement is absolutely meaningless.

"Swallow their pride" also assumes they're missing something special. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

RF99 I accept your POV however my comment isn't meaningless at all, it is my view based on fact. I have and know of at least 25 "fans" who wont go because of what has gone on, until venkys foxtrot Oscar, unless the team perform better, unless smallwood leaves, the price of a season ticket, the darwen end issue, behaviour of some home fans etc etc.

so change is a must for some of them no matter what that change may be and IMO they should swallow their pride. There is evidence on this board of fans declaring a vow never to return until there is change yet having witnessed some success have relented, swallowed pride and gone back, ABBEY being the best example I can give !.

my simple philosophy is to get over the issues and make an effort to get the club back onto bigger and better things.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I think your view is wrong we have for some games nearly 2 to 3k walk ons fans. So why are these fans chosen their games they go to? are they not interest in ST or can't afford it or family/work commitments don't allow it. 

Do you know any Rovers fans who don't attend for the reasons above? or other reasons 1864 roverite has posted above? 

Do you have any ideas to boost attendances that haven't already been posted? 

11 minutes ago, only2garners said:

But if the Rovers want to entice people through the gates, these are the type of things they have to try.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 1864roverite said:

My personal view is that some fans and supporters have to swallow their pride and get back to Ewood Park to support loud and proud

My personal view is that the owners should 'swallow their pride' and start treating the fans as equals.

How about some real communication? how about having a real representative at Ewood who is accessible for press conferences etc?

How about giving some indication that they are actually interested in the Club and it's fans other than as a side note at the Venky's AGM ?

How about some assurances for the future ? What are their ambitions ?

I know they pay the bills and have provided transfer funds but it feels like a token effort.

When the club gets it's soul back, with or without Venky's, then enthusiasm and pride ( that word again ) might return and with it some of the missing fans.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

RF99 I accept your POV however my comment isn't meaningless at all, it is my view based on fact. I have and know of at least 25 "fans" who wont go because of what has gone on, until venkys foxtrot Oscar, unless the team perform better, unless smallwood leaves, the price of a season ticket, the darwen end issue, behaviour of some home fans etc etc.

so change is a must for some of them no matter what that change may be and IMO they should swallow their pride. There is evidence on this board of fans declaring a vow never to return until there is change yet having witnessed some success have relented, swallowed pride and gone back, ABBEY being the best example I can give !.

my simple philosophy is to get over the issues and make an effort to get the club back onto bigger and better things.

Do you genuinely know any fans who arent attending because we still have Smallwood, even though hes not played a minute in the League? I find that hard to believe.

My point is that you are viewing attending as a responsibility of everyone. There is absolutely no use viewing it like that. All the hard core are already attending. If the club takes an attitude similar to you as if it is solely the responsibility of people who clearly arent that bothered about attending, as if their own choices, mainly cost but also other more minor issues dont matter, then ultimately the club will continue to miss targets.

In my opinion, such a stance just totally lacks empathy and acceptance that many potential supporters/customers are not as committed/interested/desperate to attend. Theres no use expecting them to. The clubs mindset should be 100% how can we get more supporters. If closing stands drives fans away, dont berate them for it, dont close the stands. If fans arent willing or able to pay the prices, and I include surcharges in that bracket, then reduce them, or accept that attendances wont go up. In fact, to tell people to "get over the issue" and then reference price is an incredibly ignorant thing to suggest.

• Like 1

If you no longer enjoying doing something, you stop doing it!

I go to only to a fraction of games I previously attended.

Too many times, I've sat there during a match thinking what the feck am I doing here and that includes when we are winning! 

I want to be entertained and watch attractive and in the main winning football.  Under Mowbray's tenure, in the main, I've found our football to be awful and some on here had the temerity to attack Big Sam who changed us from relegation certainties to a comfortable top half Premier League team.

I also think Mowbray and Waggott are both incapable of getting us back to the PL and also insincere.  I take anything they say with a pinch of salt.  In my opinion, Mowbray lost huge credibility after what he said in Blues back in February and what has since happened.

• Like 4

How about free kits for 7 and under? Spoke with a colleague whose son's interest in rugby stems from a kit when they were 3. If we capture fans young we've a better chance of keeping them. 0r how about free plus 1 tickets now and again. One of my mates was a season ticket holder for years but got into it solely because I won a couple of tickets in a radio competition and I invited him along. Without going silly maybe 1 free tixket per season ticket holder - could bring in extra fans. Loads we could be doing. 

• Like 1

On ‎16‎/‎09‎/‎2019 at 14:56, only2garners said:

Close crimpshrine. The numbers are about 1,000 down - 1,700 non renewals offset by 700 new ST holders.

As far as I'm aware every one of the 1,700 have already been contacted. 

I can assure you we have not been contacted (at least me and the wife haven't)

19 hours ago, Mercer said:

If you no longer enjoying doing something, you stop doing it!

I go to only to a fraction of games I previously attended.

Too many times, I've sat there during a match thinking what the feck am I doing here and that includes when we are winning! 

I want to be entertained and watch attractive and in the main winning football.  Under Mowbray's tenure, in the main, I've found our football to be awful and some on here had the temerity to attack Big Sam who changed us from relegation certainties to a comfortable top half Premier League team.

I also think Mowbray and Waggott are both incapable of getting us back to the PL and also insincere.  I take anything they say with a pinch of salt.  In my opinion, Mowbray lost huge credibility after what he said in Blues back in February and what has since happened.

100% certain fans like yourself will be back if we are in the top 6, or ultimately the premier league, even if Mowbray is in charge

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

100% certain fans like yourself will be back if we are in the top 6, or ultimately the premier league, even if Mowbray is in charge

Thats the same though for some fans at every club. Having an attitude of suggesting he is in the wrong for it achieves nothing. Accepting some fans dont feel obliged and thinking what ways the club can do to get people back is a more constructive response. Attending matches is not an obligation.

• Like 3

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Thats the same though for some fans at every club. Having an attitude of suggesting he is in the wrong for it achieves nothing. Accepting some fans dont feel obliged and thinking what ways the club can do to get people back is a more constructive response. Attending matches is not an obligation.

with what ideas? what are your ideas to get fans that clearly don't want to could back by the sound of it? You are very happy to sticking for non attending fans but I've seen no suggestions from you to get fans back? 

I genuinely don't understand what people want the club to do.

Our club does more than most in terms of matchday experience, multi-faith rooms, family stand, cheap ticket prices, blues bar, Fan Zone outside, free fruit bags for the kids... What more could they be doing? 

My point all along is that people are implying that every single person who considers themself a supporter of the club, whether it be diehard season ticket holders or casual fans, have some sort of obligation to attend, and need to make "excuses" up if they cant. It makes absolutely no sense. I have a season ticket, I prioritise attending, but I at least have the empathy to realise that others dont see at as much of a priority.

I am not saying that I know how to get attendances up, its just this bizarre attitude of blaming people for not having the same level of committment. Its a strange and an ultimately not at all constructive mindset to adopt. If people feel bitter that other fans who quite obviously dont see the club as important as they do arent attending as much as them, then to be honest I think you need a word with yourself.

The main thing that the club controls in terms of off the field is price. I am not even necessarily saying that they should reduce the prices. But its a lot of money to spend for someone who doesnt consider it one of their top priorities. No one can say with any certainty whether a drop in price would cause a rise in numbers enough to still get that same level of turnover overall, whilst having more bums on seats. We dont know how variable the prices are. Likewise, walk on tickets are IMO expensive and add the surcharge and its a dear do to decide on the day "I fancy going to the match today."

Of course promotion, higher quality football etc would increase attendances but it would at any club. Feeling bitter or annoyed about that fact is a waste of energy.

• Like 4