Jump to content
Neal

Attendances

Recommended Posts

A Hotel,the much mooted Rovers Museum,gym facilities,a day to day community centre,restaurant with a fast food takeaway coupled with outside financial investment in the new Stand with naming rights...the possibilities are endless.

A new 5,000 single tier stand like the Tom Finney at Deepdale to raise it to the height of the BBE and Darwen End...you could even fill in the corners like they have at Turf Moor with dedicated disabled facilities.

Needs some drive and forward thinking..not holding my breath!!

 

Edited by SIMON GARNERS 194

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, OldEwoodBlue said:

Waggott's priorities are to bring in additional revenue (not just on matchdays) and move us away from the benefactor model. Been said many times.

 

They can knock down the Riverside.

Move the fans into the closed areas of the other 3 sides.

Reduce the capacity.

Reduce the matchday running costs.

Lease the land out to someone who will build a hotel leaving Ewood as a 3 sided ground. A hotel with balconies etc would at least look better than a Normid Superstore. TV gantries can form part of the hotel so we look like a full ground on Sky.

 

Surely this is a more likely outcome / business decision.

Fans emotions aside, why would anyone build a new stand when there are already 3 more than half empty stands?

I’d be absolutely against a three side ground model. Tin pot!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Paul said:

I understand about the proximity to motorways but I feel more than that is required. When I travelled I wanted interesting restaurants, perhaps a decent pub etc. nearby. The last place I wanted to be in the evening was in the hotel which is simply a room and a bed.

I often work away and stay wherever they put me, not really arsed. If I stay in say a travel lodge though they're always full of workers, be it sales reps or scaffolders I rarely go to a quiet one!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Stuart said:

I’d be absolutely against a three side ground model. Tin pot!

We would all be absolutely against it Stuart. Doubt we would be asked though.

Can't see a new Venky stand paid for by our owners (like Jack did).

They should sell Neville mansion and build a new stand. Clowns.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ossydave said:

I often work away and stay wherever they put me, not really arsed. If I stay in say a travel lodge though they're always full of workers, be it sales reps or scaffolders I rarely go to a quiet one!

Which is one of the reasons I used to avoid them. My situation was different. I had a budget and provided I stayed within that I could stay and eat where I wanted.

I've turned this over in my mind and feel I'm probably wrong. If an office based person is simply booking a convenient location at the right price for a travelling rep, building team etc. then yes a hotel at Ewood could work.

If there is an aspiration to build a hotel offering more than this then I would still have my doubts. 

If I was looking for a wedding reception or similar I'm not sure the Ewood area is where I'd want to be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@pk1875 I think you make some very good points there. I remain to be convinced about weddings and other social events but with the right marketing commercial activities would work. The key though is marketing. I went to numerous events at Old Trafford for no reason other than that was where the event was. The fact it's the home of Utd was irrelevant. The difficulty of course is marketing as Rovers management continue to prove they are poor at marketing football let alone anything else.

A reduced capacity stand would be a plus point.

Edited by Paul

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Paul said:

@pk1875 I think you make some very good points there. I remain to be convinced about weddings and other social events but with the right marketing commercial activities would work. The key though is marketing. I went to numerous events at Old Trafford for no reason other than that was where the event was. The fact it's the home of Utd was irrelevant. The difficulty of course is marketing as Rovers management continue to prove they are poor at marketing football let alone anything else.

A reduced capacity stand would be a plus point.

We've already got a 3 sided ground. If the capacity is reduced by a smaller stand on a full side, it will exacerbate the 3 sided ground appearance.

Edited by MCMC1875

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

A Hotel,the much mooted Rovers Museum,gym facilities,a day to day community centre,restaurant with a fast food takeaway coupled with outside financial investment in the new Stand with naming rights...the possibilities are endless.

A new 5,000 single tier stand like the Tom Finney at Deepdale to raise it to the height of the BBE and Darwen End...you could even fill in the corners like they have at Turf Moor with dedicated disabled facilities.

Needs some drive and forward thinking..not holding my breath!!

 

Agree with your post but on the corners, I understood that was a deliberate decision made at the time to benefit the turf?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We had promotion fever around town a year or so ago the 26k turnout showed that.  We responded by tappining into it with an opportunistic raising of prices hoping to boost income significantly whilst there was a brief chance.

Business sense you may say but a real missed trick of boosting numbers properly on a fanbase that had been fed up and on a constant downer and slide for 6 or 7 years.  If they'd got it back to 14k regulars then tried to retain them all the ground would certainly feel a bit better on a matchday now and so would the income.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They were. Loads of people had brought their kids. We took our 3 year old grandson with us. He had a whale of a time running along the front of the stand copying the subs warm up routines and we didn't think he'd paid much attention to the game but he told his mum afterwards that one man kicked the ball and if somebody caught it then lots of other men jumped on him in a big heap. We bought him a rugby ball afterwards and he was immediately running then lying down and passing it back to his grandad. He cried when he had to leave the ground. Doesn't take much at that age to get them interested

Edited by gumboots

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, gumboots said:

They were. Loads of people had brought their kids. We took our 3 year old grandson with us. He had a whale of a time running along the front of the stand copying the subs warm up routines and we didn't think he'd paid much attention to the game but he told his mum afterwards that one man kicked the ball and if somebody caught it then lots of other men jumped on him in a big heap. We bought him a rugby ball afterwards and he was immediately running then lying down and passing it back to his grandad. He cried when he had to leave the ground. Doesn't take much at that age to get them interested

Bring him to the game against Luton

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He's in Belgium for the weekend but I am thinking of attending myself as it's the first match this season I've been able to attend as we only came home from hols this week. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, gumboots said:

He's in Belgium for the weekend but I am thinking of attending myself as it's the first match this season I've been able to attend as we only came home from hols this week. 

Strikers lounge is good for the kids if you get tickets in the family stand there is free face painting

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gumboots said:

They were. Loads of people had brought their kids. We took our 3 year old grandson with us. He had a whale of a time running along the front of the stand copying the subs warm up routines and we didn't think he'd paid much attention to the game but he told his mum afterwards that one man kicked the ball and if somebody caught it then lots of other men jumped on him in a big heap. We bought him a rugby ball afterwards and he was immediately running then lying down and passing it back to his grandad. He cried when he had to leave the ground. Doesn't take much at that age to get them interested

Imagine Rovers trying to tap into World Cup fever - they'd probably put the prices up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, PeteJD13 said:

Strikers lounge is good for the kids if you get tickets in the family stand there is free face painting

May be but the view for adults is poor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, gumboots said:

May be but the view for adults is poor

its not the best but with a three year old you don't really get to watch the match anyway ( in terms of unbroken viewing )  certainly that's my experience with my daughter who is 3 1/2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't bring my grandson often enough as he's usually doing something with his parents at the weekend anyway. At Sale Sharks it's standing so he can run about in any empty space in front of us. We can see him as the crowd's quite thinly spread so as long as he doesn't go too far away and stays where he can see us, we don't have to watch him all the time. And we're not allowed to bring him too often anyway because his daddy is a Burnley fan so we have, for the sake of family harmony, to refrain from buying him a Rovers shirt or anything like that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, PeteJD13 said:

its not the best but with a three year old you don't really get to watch the match anyway ( in terms of unbroken viewing )  certainly that's my experience with my daughter who is 3 1/2

Been there. Stick with it, it’s worth it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Accy Stanley are on their annual shirt giveaway today dishing out free shirts to all Year 3 kids in Hyndburn. Not just Accy but the surrounding towns which are full of Rovers fans.

I get sick of repeating myself but this is another example of where we are falling short. Hyndburn is our territory. Year 3 kids we should be targeting as our next generation of support. Is there a single reason why Stanley can each year do as they are whilst we do nothing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Imagination, vision, realising that what happens on the pitch is not the only thing that matters. Seems our leaders lack all of this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.