Neal

Attendances

3 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Club are expecting 1,500 to buy that 3 game ticket.

Why? Hasn’t it been put on the record with the FF that these match bundles never particularly sell more than a few hundred? Why would it be different this time, especially with the club at a bit of low ebb. 

Also, they hope being on TV will show Ewood as a good visual spectacle and we get shown again. An enormous empty stand behind one of the goals ain’t going to help with that, is it!?

All very odd decision making down there.

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/17978793.rovers-aiming-boost-atmosphere-income-ewood-games/

Why did they expect to sell so many more this season than last ?

Why won't they acknowledge they goofed by putting prices up last season and not trying to tap into the promotion 'bounce' but instead more or less nipping it in the bud ?

Also what about the stuff on the park and supporters long running concerns about the defence, boring style at home, terrible first 45s nearly every game for years ?

Cloud cuckoo land some of that lot they still seem to be trading on Agnews words ' a bit of success and they'll flock back'  !

They're all missing the point. There's still no acceptance or recognition that the club's actions over the last few years is probably the single biggest factor in the falling numbers at Ewood.

All about self preservation and turning responsibility over to the fans for not being committed enough. 

2 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

As you know I totally disagree and I’m not seeing much in the way of ‘marginal gains’ from it either with our home performances. 

But surely Coar must be in cloud cuckoo land with the rest of them down there if he thinks Ewood will look in any way a positive ‘visual spectacle’ today (on or off the pitch).

Sadly the advantage (of not having away fans pressure the referee - when was the last away penalty you saw given at Ewood?) is being negated by Mowbray.

But I agree they can’t make it a spectacle unless the home areas are heaving.

Greg is one of the good guys, very difficult job though at the moment

I agree there’s been times that we haven’t seized on momentum, any walk ons this season haven’t seen a feast of football more often than not.

Whatever reasons people have said they are staying away for you can guarantee that promotion is the route that would bring back the most fans. 

3,700 at Stanley yesterday (2,500 of them home fans) for a Sky game.

Pretty much doubled their numbers in a couple of years, they were happy with breaking four figures not long ago. And that will only continue to increase with the work Holt is putting in with attracting young support. When the camera panned to the crowd I was struck with how many kids were there with parents.

I wonder how many of said parents were once Rovers fans? That’s them and their children gone. 

Our catchment area gets ever smaller, still at least the club has done ‘everything it can’.

Edited by Mattyblue

On 21/10/2019 at 12:25, Mattyblue said:

3,700 at Stanley yesterday (2,500 of them home fans) for a Sky game.

Pretty much doubled their numbers in a couple of years, they were happy with breaking four figures not long ago. And that will only continue to increase with the work Holt is putting in with attracting young support. When the camera panned to the crowd I was struck with how many kids were there with parents.

I wonder how many of said parents were once Rovers fans? That’s them and their children gone. 

Our catchment area gets ever smaller, still at least the club has done ‘everything it can’.

Don’t tell us, tell Waggott!

He still thinks we want £7.50 pie-and-a-pint “deals”.

On 19/10/2019 at 10:58, Tom said:

Greg is one of the good guys, very difficult job though at the moment

I agree there’s been times that we haven’t seized on momentum, any walk ons this season haven’t seen a feast of football more often than not.

Whatever reasons people have said they are staying away for you can guarantee that promotion is the route that would bring back the most fans. 

Yes Greg is trying hard in challenging circumstances and it is difficult to milk the local community and business fraternity much more.

There appeared to be about 8,500 home fans on v Huddersfield, there were vast swathes of empty seats around me in the JW that are normally occupied.

If we do not improve on the field (where it matters most) the gates will continue to drop.  We have already lost a net 700 ST holders this season and I can see the decline continuing sadly.

Going to be a piss poor gate on Saturday you’d wager with any floating fan who simply wants to buy a Sheff Wed ticket being charged up to £48 for the privilege...

We could always give away tickets for the BBE Upper again and watch as half of the recipients don’t bother turning up.

12 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Going to be a piss poor gate on Saturday you’d wager with any floating fan who simply wants to buy a Sheff Wed ticket being charged up to £48 for the privilege...

Only been to Ewood once in the last 7 years (since the Kean out Bolton home debacle) and that was to the Charlton game which was piss poor. I was bought that ticket as the it was a special invite by the father in law as the brother in law was up from darn sarf. 

Fast forward to now and 2 mates asked me if I want to meet up and go for a one off game for old times sake, like back in the day when Rovers ruled all our lives. I picked 2nd Nov Vs sheff wed. Now my mate sits in the jw stand. So I looked and almost spat my teeth out that it was FORTY THREE POUNDS!!! to sit in his area yet the online ticket system won't even tell me the seat numbers.

Hasten to say I'll meet them for a pre match beer then go home.

There better be a very quick upturn in fortune both on and off the field of play or else we are in for some real shocking attendances coming up to Xmas.

From what I gather many Wednesday fans are refusing to pay that price never mind home fans so you have basically shot yourself in the foot Mr Waggott.

On 22/10/2019 at 19:59, Stuart said:

He still thinks we want £7.50 pie-and-a-pint “deals”.

To be fair Preston was EVEN WORSE than Ewood. £12 for two pints and two pies (so you can only capitalise in groups or if you're rather hungry) - no card machines/contactless payments etc... 

I wonder how many of this lot were on a day out with their mates and will now think "Do you know what, I enjoyed that, I might pay £40 this Saturday and go to Ewood?

Screen Shot 2019-10-28 at 08.25.29.png

Edited by Hasta

3 hours ago, JoeH said:

To be fair Preston was EVEN WORSE than Ewood. £12 for two pints and two pies (so you can only capitalise in groups or if you're rather hungry) - no card machines/contactless payments etc... 

It’s still a better deal than ours.

On 24/10/2019 at 11:20, Bad Boy said:

Yes Greg is trying hard in challenging circumstances and it is difficult to milk the local community and business fraternity much more.

There appeared to be about 8,500 home fans on v Huddersfield, there were vast swathes of empty seats around me in the JW that are normally occupied.

If we do not improve on the field (where it matters most) the gates will continue to drop.  We have already lost a net 700 ST holders this season and I can see the decline continuing sadly.

This is a bit naughty, but..............

did people really think we would be better off without Big Sam? Did people really believe that getting rid of the bigger wage earners and investing in young and hungry players was the way to go when we were half way up the Premier League?

16 minutes ago, Stuart said:

It’s still a better deal than ours.

I'd argue it isn't. It's a deal that you can only get in groups, or if you're going to eat and drink double the amount of food. AND you can't pay by card. It's alright on paper, but you have order a lot more food than you may want/need to get any sort of deal.

Everything is over complicated at Ewood compared to a lot of other Championship clubs not just the football or ownership/running structure.

Take Saturday for example - Local derby, 3pm kick off no jerking around with kick off times, no blaming police. £24 standard match price no faffing with all ticket or cat A+ or whatever.  Pay on the day available and a full end allocated.

No fuss no messing just the way it should be and they are rewarded with nearly 20k, huge for them, massive in fact.  

That kind of approach at Ewood would probably see a crowd in excess of 22k . Something a bit more imaginative hopefully drawing in lapsed fans, part timers, neutrals and local kids might see 25k.  Use the fixtures of interest not the run of the mill or dead rubbers etc.

Edited by tomphil

9 hours ago, tomphil said:

Everything is over complicated at Ewood compared to a lot of other Championship clubs not just the football or ownership/running structure.

Take Saturday for example - Local derby, 3pm kick off no jerking around with kick off times, no blaming police. £24 standard match price no faffing with all ticket or cat A+ or whatever.  Pay on the day available and a full end allocated.

No fuss no messing just the way it should be and they are rewarded with nearly 20k, huge for them, massive in fact.  

That kind of approach at Ewood would probably see a crowd in excess of 22k . Something a bit more imaginative hopefully drawing in lapsed fans, part timers, neutrals and local kids might see 25k.  Use the fixtures of interest not the run of the mill or dead rubbers etc.

1875 Club - more complication.

17 hours ago, JoeH said:

I'd argue it isn't. It's a deal that you can only get in groups, or if you're going to eat and drink double the amount of food. AND you can't pay by card. It's alright on paper, but you have order a lot more food than you may want/need to get any sort of deal.

like 3 games for £45 or 1 game for £43

"Think I know when I'm being ripped off so will pass thanks."

Preston at home - make it £20 anywhere in the ground up to kick off. No more strings attached. You'd get 23,000+ on. 

Do what Waggott does and we'll have 19,000 if lucky. 

Sadly I think those employed at Rovers would prefer the lower figure. Easier day at the office and all.

Out of interest I checked the prices of the 3 game package against the Sheffield Wed price. For a senior in the JW upper 3 games cost £30 and the single game costs £31. Who in their right mind thinks things up like that?

39 minutes ago, MCMC1875 said:

1875 Club - more complication.

I don't think clubs having a membership scheme is such a bad thing but it needs to be made attractive to join. It all gets a bit of a feel of being held to ransom when you look at things like this though.

Buy a season ticket ----  To save because we are going to jack up match day prices.

Buy a membership ----- To save because we are going to jack up matchday prices AND introduce A+ to screw away fans.