BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Attendances

Neal

• Moderation Lead
41 minutes ago, Blue n whites said:

I think 16k to 18k is so poor.

Could take yourself. Your kid and his 29 classroom for  40 quid. 

I despair sometimes with our fans.  I'm hoping there is a good amount gonna buy late or walk on cause at these prices and in our form I can't imagine another club selling so pooly. 

If it wasn’t on TV, I bet it wouldn’t be £10.

Then, the next chance the club get, it’s £30 for the next home game....

’We’ve done all we can’.

Just now, K-Hod said:

If it wasn’t on TV, I bet it wouldn’t be £10.

Then, the next chance the club get, it’s £30 for the next home game....

’We’ve done all we can’.

But it is £10 and it sounds like it still wont be enough to get a huge amount more. 

It seems more financially viable to charge the hardcore base £30(in line with other clubs) than to try and draw more by offering really cheap tickets. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

You would think a tenner on a monday evening before xmas with most off work(if they work) , would draw a good few.

It's a lack of interest more than financial or people making a stand imo 

There isn’t a lack of interest and it has drawn a good few.

For a league game it will be our biggest take up of match tickets since 2012 (Oxford aside), it is the decline of ST holders that will subdue the crowd figure.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

But it is £10 and it sounds like it still wont be enough to get a huge amount more. 

It seems more financially viable to charge the hardcore base £30(in line with other clubs) than to try and draw more by offering really cheap tickets. 

Normally, at 20-30 quid a ticket, we see maybe 3000 if we are lucky, pushing us from 8500 season ticket holders to about 11500 home fans.

Tonight, at 10 quid a ticket and some proper pushing from the club, it looks like we have at least doubled those 3000 to 6000 individual sales, and will probably be looking at 15000 home fans. This despite it being on TV and a night game.

I believe if it had been repeated for a non televised game at 3pm on a Saturday or better still Boxing Day the take up would have been higher still.

What is better? 3000 paying up to 25-30 quid or 6000 paying 10 quid? From a purely financial perspective the former.

Obviously we aren't factoring in longer term benefits - more chance of shifting season tickets to the extra people, more money spent on food, drink, merchandise. More kids enjoying the experience. Better atmosphere for all.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, OldEwoodBlue said:

Agree Chaddy.

Philip must have been pissed when he wrote (or thought) that.

I am going tonight but it's a long 6 week slog to the next payday so won't be spending £25 for brum. If it had been £10 or £15 I would have gone.

Was originally planning to go Hudds but no chance at £30. Last time I paid £20 on the turnstile. Rip off.

The Riverside looks empty online. Everyone moved stands for the offer.

Nowhere near £20K with the BBE upper tier shut and riverside desolate.

18K (16K home fans) for a Sky night match is a good response.

I agree on Huddersfield being over priced this time compare to last time. 

I'm on weekly pay in my job but I can understand the problem with monthly pay after being through it myself 

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Read a good few online over the last few days complain that there is an additional charge on the £10 if the ticket is bought today and gave that as the reason they wouldn't be going

Not true! 

It's like some just have a default excuse even when presented with reality (the official twitter account tweeted that there isn't a charge!) 

People will always make excuses to not attend and stay at home and watch it online

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

I don’t think it’s poor at all, we’ve only 8,500 ST holders, which means 8,000 or so will have bought match tickets, treble our usual number and Oxford aside comfortably the most match day sales for a near decade.

As I’ve said time and again, we didn’t sell enough season tickets last summer, which is why even with big match day ticket sales we won’t see 20,000.

Well ST Tickets were cheap enough at about 15 pounds a game. You could pay monthly if you wish which for many is helpful. roughly 4.20 pounds per game for under 16 as I take my step daughter to the games

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JHRover said:

Normally, at 20-30 quid a ticket, we see maybe 3000 if we are lucky, pushing us from 8500 season ticket holders to about 11500 home fans.

Tonight, at 10 quid a ticket and some proper pushing from the club, it looks like we have at least doubled those 3000 to 6000 individual sales, and will probably be looking at 15000 home fans. This despite it being on TV and a night game.

I believe if it had been repeated for a non televised game at 3pm on a Saturday or better still Boxing Day the take up would have been higher still.

What is better? 3000 paying up to 25-30 quid or 6000 paying 10 quid? From a purely financial perspective the former.

Obviously we aren't factoring in longer term benefits - more chance of shifting season tickets to the extra people, more money spent on food, drink, merchandise. More kids enjoying the experience. Better atmosphere for all.

Good post. Totally agree about the longer benefits, I just don't think that reducing prices to £10 would be financially viable with the number that would come through. Which I think we agree on.

It's a pity. It would be great to have a big crowd tonight for the cameras. Could show that we are back! 

3 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Yep. You put Wigan’s 2k down there and it makes Ewood actually look alive for once.

But no, those watching on Sky will just see a vast empty stand.

You keep saying this but you only have to look at grounds all around the country. Apart from the top PL sides, there are loads of empty ends on TV.

Having 2,000 away fans in the lower tier simply puts pressure on the officials that just doesn’t happen from the upper. I’d go for whatever gives us an advantage on the pitch than what looks good to the armchair supporters.

On another note, as the only game on TV tonight, we can able to expect a belter of a game from a rested Bradley Dack. He’d be a good bet for first goal such is the additional 10%-20% you get from him when the cameras are rolling.

• Like 1

Just now, Stuart said:

On another note, as the only game on TV tonight, we can able to expect a belter of a game from a rested Bradley Dack. He’d be a good bet for first goal such is the additional 10%-20% you get from him when the cameras are rolling.

You have such a unique way of always managing to twist the knife, whilst "giving a compliment" 

I wouldn't say he gives anymore, just has a good knack of scoring when on TV. I certainly wouldn't be questioning his application or effort in any game. He always puts himself about. 

I’m very dubious about these supposed ‘marginal gains’, Stuart. Some of our best performances come when the ground has some atmosphere in all sides of the ground, Leeds last season springs to mind.

Difference being, the bottom tiers at places like Millwall, Sheff Wed that are usually kept empty only hold 1500 or so. The Darwen End lower is a vast bank of 5,000, so even on a night like tonight in which we’ll be pushing 20,000 it gives the impression of a poorly supported, struggling club playing in an empty ground. You may not care about the aesthetics of that, but many do.

Edited by Mattyblue

Just now, Stuart said:

Having 2,000 away fans in the lower tier simply puts pressure on the officials that just doesn’t happen from the upper. I’d go for whatever gives us an advantage on the pitch than what looks good to the armchair supporters.

I have to agree with you on this point. 

Just now, Mattyblue said:

so even on a night like tonight in which we’ll be pushing 20,000 it gives the impression of an empty ground.

who cares as long as we win

I’m very dubious about these supposed ‘marginal gains’, Stuart. Some of our best performances come when the ground has some atmosphere in all sides of the ground, Leeds last season springs to mind.

Difference being, the bottom tiers at places like Millwall, Sheff Wed that are usually kept empty only hold 1500 or so. The Darwen End lower is a vast bank of 5,000, so even on a night like tonight in which we’ll be pushing 20,000 it gives the impression of a poorly supported, struggling club playing in an empty ground. You may not care about the aesthetics of that, but many do.

I genuinely don’t care about the aesthetics of it... right now at least. Promotion is the only aim for this club for as long as it has the debts it has.

If you disagree that points/results are more likely without away fans baying for penalties or red cards or whatever decision then that’s a different debate.

The aesthetics aren’t relevant.

• Like 2

Just now, Stuart said:

I genuinely don’t care about the aesthetics of it... right now at least. Promotion is the only aim for this club for as long as it has the debts it has.

If you disagree that points/results are more likely without away fans baying for penalties or red cards or whatever decision then that’s a different debate.

The aesthetics aren’t relevant.

It’s not an either/or. I’d have us playing on a dog shit infested pitch at Pleasy if it guaranteed promotion, of course that’s the priority..

But a full looking Ewood can only help in giving an impression of a big Championship football club. A club aspiring players, managers, potential academy sign ups and sponsors want to be part of.

• Like 2

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

It doesn't give the club any good PR at all by away fans being in either upper or lower tier. 

When we are on TV and it looks like nobody is in attendance, it looks pretty sad. My United and Pool supporting mates comment on it. 

A full ground, hopping with fans, looks better on TV. It makes us look like a proper outfit. A bigger crowd should lasso help the players

Not the be all and end all and results are all that matter, but I think that's the point Matty is making and one I would agree with. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 1

It’s not an either/or. I’d have us playing on a dog shit infested pitch at Pleasy if it guaranteed promotion, of course that’s the priority..

But a full looking Ewood can only help in giving an impression of a big Championship football club. A club aspiring players, managers, potential academy sign ups and sponsors want to be part of.

Not sure it affects how big or small we look. Watch any Championship game on TV they nearly all look similar. A club/town our size will never fool any footballer (or certainly not their agent) that we are as big as Leeds because they see loads of Wiganers in the stands.

In any case, if we want people to think we are a big club then we need huge crowds of home fans, not away ones. We could and should be doing much more on that front. Seating a couple of thousand away fans behind the goal and limiting the pan range of the cameras is fooling nobody.

You raise a good point but aspiring potential non-Blackburn-based employees only care about one thing: ££££.

It’s not about away fans being down there per se.

If it was up to me, I’d be creating a singing section in that stand akin to Huddersfield, with flags, banners and the rest of it. That would do more for the atmosphere than anything else... oh and that way we can keep those marginal gains too.

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

We have scored some wonderful team goals recently. I am almost embarrassed to show my mates with the ground being so empty. We aren't the only ones in this position, I get that, but it can look really bare at times. 

Astonishing attitude. This is our team, winning games and scoring great goals but fans are ashamed to show fans of other clubs (likely PL) because of empty seats? Really?

Plus many of our recent team goals have been away from home. There are swathes of empty away end seats there. Bristol even covered up 100s of seats! I have to assume you don’t show those either.

• Like 2