Sign in to follow this  
Neal

Attendances

Odd games in 94/95 it was shared.

From 1995/96 until mid 2000s it was shared, then a couple of years of away fans only under Hughes, then ‘Taking Back Ewood’ in 2008 until this season it was shared again.

I've long been a supporter of putting away fans upstairs. Not particularly because of any impact upon atmosphere or the away team, but because we should be charging away fans more than we do.

I've no gripe with Rotherham who I'm sure will charge our fans a reasonable price of £20-25 when we go there, but I'd be revving up to Swansea and Bolton coming and smashing them with £30 tickets. See how many Swansea turn up with at those prices. I bet its less than we took on a Tuesday night to theirs.

Perhaps one day clubs will get their heads together and come up with some reasonable reciprocal pricing but until that day comes and as long as our loyal fans are being taken advantage of by other clubs then it is Rovers' responsibility to return the favour and make it clear why.

N.B. This DOESNT mean home fans suffer. It means we can charge them more to sit upstairs whilst charging reasonable prices downstairs. I'm not sure that idea has made it's way into Waggott's thinking yet. Hopefully it will by the time Norwich, Swansea,Bolton and co. turn up.

It won’t.

The club does run a fairly simple structure. 

‘Are they likely to bring around 2,000? Or more? Yes? Cat A so we can rake it in.

Everyone else B and C, it’s as crude as that and nothing whatsoever to do with home fans or ‘attractiveness’ of the fixture.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Sheff Wed? Just announced as Cat A, so another chance for an attractive game to be designated ‘local promotion’ gone.

The 1800 Wednesday fans would pay top dollar regardless, so what’s to lose?

Doesnt look like there will be a single ticket promotion this calendar year back in the Championship. All that supply and not a single initiative. Amazing.

we seem to have around 2500 to 3000 walk on fans already regardless of the price Matty. 

I can understand you and other fans wanting cheaper deal but how many fans aren't coming due to price? 

I would be doing a promotion for the Christmas and New Year games of 2 games ticket for 30 pounds. 

2 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Don’t think it particularly annoys away fans. 

Surely nobody enjoys looking over to an enormous bank of 5,000 empty seats in the lower tier, plus another 2,000+ in the upper.

Up to the club to try and fill more seats with home fans, would be the rational potential solution...

surely we went the Blackburn End, Riverstand side and Jack Walker stand being mostly full before we put home fans back in the Darwen End? 

3 hours ago, tomphil said:

The suits got away with shutting the BBE upper but they are making a balls of this one I bet money they let Sheff Weds have all the lower but on Sat it'll be another huddle in the upper and a soulless cold empty huge bank of seats in the lower again.  There could have been over a thousand in there over the two sections and like in the past at least give a little bit of atmosphere and visual effect if they'd just left things alone.

Why is it so difficult to just leave things alone for most games.

clueless they are.

The decision to close the DE to home fans has clearly been a balls up,a pointless exercise.Leeds will be the only club to come near filling that stand.

Just a huge bank of empty seating for the TV Camera's to poke fun at.

• Thanks 3

A few Championship clubs often have an empty lower tier behind a goal - Millwall, Bolton, Sheff Wed, QPR, so it’s not that unusual to see on TV

But at the ground it’s pretty eerie just because it’s such a big end.

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

That’s that then, 2500 will turn up, so don’t try and tempt more?

It was a general point about trying to increase crowds.

do more want to come regularly tho? or will we end up with some of the people who turned up on the last game of last season and show their true colours by disrupting the game and not giving a monkey about the season ticket holders? how many who turn up that are glory hunters and not die hard Rovers fans?

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

we seem to have around 2500 to 3000 walk on fans already regardless of the price Matty. 

complete bollocks Chris

Especially due to the matchday Waggott Tax

• Like 3

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

surely we went the Blackburn End, Riverstand side and Jack Walker stand being mostly full before we put home fans back in the Darwen End? 

Agree Totally

So shut the Riverside, it's the oldest stand, and where the cameras are, some restricted views, and the front open to the elements.

Open up the full BE, and Lower DE, same price as Riverside, and make the JW the premium stand?

I'd go back to the BE upper at Riverside prices, and would create more atmosphere.

Otherwise split the DE as before.

Or give the opposition the Riverside? So we have both ends....endless possibilities!

Edited by Proudtobeblue&white

40 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

do more want to come regularly tho? or will we end up with some of the people who turned up on the last game of last season and show their true colours by disrupting the game and not giving a monkey about the season ticket holders? how many who turn up that are glory hunters and not die hard Rovers fans?

What are you talking about. 

26,000 Rovers fans turned up that day, around 17,000 of them were non season ticket holders. A tiny minority of them (a few hundred) were pissed up and ran on the pitch after after a day on the ale for a promotion party.

How is that in any way comparable to a decently priced game in the middle of a season? 

I don’t know why I’m even replying, as you didn’t agree we needed to do any deals last season, then Oxford started selling like hot cakes and you were delighted with it. So, you would be just the same this season if the club offered it.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 3

37 minutes ago, Proudtobeblue&white said:

So shut the Riverside, it's the oldest stand, and where the cameras are, some restricted views, and the front open to the elements.

Open up the full BE, and Lower DE, same price as Riverside, and make the JW the premium stand?

I'd go back to the BE upper at Riverside prices, and would create more atmosphere.

Or give the opposition the Riverside? So we have both ends....endless possibilities!

take the seats out and make the Riverside safe standing terrace at Riverside prices.

Just now, Franky said:

take the seats out and make the Riverside safe standing terrace at Riverside prices.

I loved standing under the concrete BE, excellent idea, but even cheaper. £12 to stand!

2 hours ago, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

The decision to close the DE to home fans has clearly been a balls up,a pointless exercise.Leeds will be the only club to come near filling that stand.

Just a huge bank of empty seating for the TV Camera's to poke fun at.

The idea of moving the cameras to the riverside was supposedly so the ground looked better/fuller on the beam backs to Pune probably because the empty riverside they were glaring at before was an uncomfortable reminder of the damage they've done.  Now it'll look even worse with banks of empties to the left to match the sparse JW lower DE side when the ball is in that half/end.

Probably thought 3 or 400 would go straight in there to make it look better but as everyone knew they would they've just blended into other areas around the ground aside from a regular huddle of about 50 in the corner.

Yep a totally pointless balls up which probably save a couple of grand per season if anything at all.

Edited by tomphil
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

A few Championship clubs often have an empty lower tier behind a goal - Millwall, Bolton, Sheff Wed, QPR, so it’s not that unusual to see on TV

But at the ground it’s pretty eerie just because it’s such a big end.

Sheff Weds aside, which like Villa park can be both intimidating or eeire, like you say I think it's the size of Ewood makes it worse. 5k empties in one lower tier I don't even think the Wendies manage that.

56 minutes ago, Proudtobeblue&white said:

5 thousand Leeds or Nobbers etc in the riverside with that walk way and exits is asking for bother plus the influence they might have on their own team would probably be more than when they are just packed in one end.

Blackburn fuzz would never allow it anyway.

16 minutes ago, tomphil said:

5 thousand Leeds or Nobbers etc in the riverside with that walk way and exits is asking for bother plus the influence they might have on their own team would probably be more than when they are just packed in one end.

Blackburn fuzz would never allow it anyway.

I was more for them being chucked in the River Darwen if they misbehaved?

Edited by Proudtobeblue&white
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Proudtobeblue&white said:

I was more from them being chucked in the River Darwen if they misbehaved?

There is however one plus point to it just dawned on me - it would then allow Rovers to charge top dollar to the visiting fans like the JW stand !!!

That seems the logic behind Villa, Leeds, Boro moving away fans to side stands over the past few years. Might be some method in your madness lol

Would also then be able to cut down on away fans to avoid bother whilst still raking in decent takings from them.  The thousand or so who sit in the riverside might need some convincing though.....

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

What are you talking about. 

26,000 Rovers fans turned up that day, around 17,000 of them were non season ticket holders. A tiny minority of them (a few hundred) were pissed up and ran on the pitch after after a day on the ale for a promotion party.

How is that in any way comparable to a decently priced game in the middle of a season? 

I don’t know why I’m even replying, as you didn’t agree we needed to do any deals last season, then Oxford started selling like hot cakes and you were delighted with it. So, you would be just the same this season if the club offered it.

Few hundred people whether they were parents with kids, kids, young adults or elderly people they still ran on the pitch like thugs and tried to wreck the day. 

The half season ticket price is decent and im hoping we sell over 1k of them. Plus with the players and manager performing well should attract more fans. 

Havent I suggest a number of deals that might work but there is no easy answer tho. 

Over 2.5k fans turn up for the Forest game so is price the problem or more of the problem is lack of PL Football? I say the latter

I have been to Villa and been in some horrible upper stand, where you couldn't see anything, similar at Everton. Easy to shut off the access behind the Riverside towards BE and control via DE? Charge them whatever we want it's our ground!!

7 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

It’s official, expected to bring less than 2,000 you’re in the upper tier.

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/17213272.darwen-end-upper-tier-the-new-home-for-away-fans-at-ewood/?ref=mr&lp=2

I get it, other clubs do it, out of sight and all that. The difference is at Ewood is that the Darwen End is considerably bigger than away ends at those other clubs and a small following, I.e Rotherham have sold around 600 so far, makes it look very desolate at that end of the ground and ensures an even flatter atmosphere.

C’mon Matty. This is what we’ve been asking for!

The away end seeming desolate plays into our hands. Money from away fans and the advantage to Rovers fans.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Few hundred people whether they were parents with kids, kids, young adults or elderly people they still ran on the pitch like thugs and tried to wreck the day.

I was on the pitch and I go more games than you.  Didn't wreck my day.....you do think you're superior to others...can't think why

50 minutes ago, Stuart said:

C’mon Matty. This is what we’ve been asking for!

The away end seeming desolate plays into our hands. Money from away fans and the advantage to Rovers fans.

100% this.

I’ve had a couple of mates who support other teams this week watch the QPR highlights and say: “QPR support is shit.” rather than “Ewood looks empty” when you see that end without the 300 or so fan goaders in Rovers’ colours in there.

I imagine that 80% of teams will turn up and see practically empty away ends, with fuller home ends. It works in our favour. Sell 16k+ home tickets (achievable when we’re up there in a couple of months) and we aren’t looking so bad for visually filling the home areas that are open.

Edited by S8 & Blue

26 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

I was on the pitch and I go more games than you.  Didn't wreck my day.....you do think you're superior to others...can't think why

You are actually admitting to being on the pitch? Thanks very much for spoiling the day for myself and everyone else who wasn’t so selfish. Perhaps you’d like to hand yourself in to the police so they can ban you from Ewood. 

• Like 1