BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

ROVERS v Sheff Utd

Just now, joey_big_nose said:

Have to say I am concerned by Brereton. I can't really see what his quality that he brings to the side. Obviously early days but seems an odd signing on performances so far.

Yeah, you can usually see something in a player that gives you hope. I've seen nothing from him, he's almost Grabbiesque. Very worrying.

• Like 1

The feelgood factor from last season has well and truly gone for me. That's one win out of the last 6 - Steve Bruce was sacked after winning one in 9. We'll finish mid-table at the very best. Is Mowbray the man to talk us forward? Bruce, Mick McCarthy and Sam Allardyce are available - all managers with tremendous records of promotion from this division

• Like 1

• Backroom
2 minutes ago, BigBar said:

Just slated Armstrong..look at what he did when he had it, cant think of anything half decent...rewatch and have a look..looked so frail in possession all night

He hasn't been great but in fairness to him he has been trying. Far worse performances from the likes of Dack, Evans and Smallwood I'm afraid. Brereton looks lost out there. I know we have to give him time to adapt and settle in but if we're spending £7m on the bloke we should expect more than this.

Six goals conceded in our last three games, nine in four if you count Bournemouth. I would say something has gone wrong, but we were conceding goals last year too, so I think it's just a weakness Mowbray hasn't been able to fix. Keep this up and we're in for a difficult season. The defence must be tightened without losing the ability to score goals to win games. Not an easy task but as it stands we're making it very difficult on ourselves. 

Dangerous imo to already be looking to next season. We've got problems in the here and now that need to be addressed first. Fortunately there are some terrible teams below us and despite only winning three games so far this season we're already nine points off the relegation places. That gives us enough time to get things sorted, but there is no question we do need to start looking at what isn't working. 

Just now, jim mk2 said:

The feelgood factor from last season has well and truly gone for me. That's one win out of the last 6 - Steve Bruce was sacked after winning one in 9. We'll finish mid-table at the very best. Is Mowbray the man to talk us forward? Bruce, Mick McCarthy and Sam Allardyce are available - all managers with tremendous records of promotion from this division

i would take mickey or Bruce in a heartbeat but it not time yet to call for tony he been great for us :)

Just now, DE. said:

Six goals conceded in our last three games, nine in four if you count Bournemouth. I would say something has gone wrong, but we were conceding goals last year too, so I think it's just a weakness Mowbray hasn't been able to fix.

Need 2 top centre halves. The Brereton money should have been spent on them

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Stuart said:

O’Connell is a beast btw. Did he really go on a free?

No, he didn't. We definitely got a fee. I think it was meant to be in the 300-500k range. A lot of people on the board weren't happy about it at the time I remember.

• Like 1

Well beaten by a far superior side. We'd have been much better of spending £7 million on a centre back we struggled to keep clean sheets in League One last year so it was pretty obvious that it would be a problem this year. Two very poor goals conceded today and if there is one man in the Championship that you don't leave unmarked in the box then it is Billy Sharp. Armstrong given a start after his goal the weekend but he was poor again (he doesn't look up to Championship standard) both Palmer and Rothwell have shown more this season so far. Still early days for Brereton he is yet to show anything to suggest that he is worth £7 million. The one plus point tonight is that I thought that Bell looked much more comfortable playing as a wing back. Tonight just highlighted how reliant we are on Dack tonight he had a quite night (dropping far to deep) and we created nothing. We desperately need some width as everything for us come straight through the middle, we'd never score a goal like their second tonight. 

Edited by Ewood Ace

Wow.... look dreadful. Look brain dead, tired, lack of quality. Brereton so far looks absolute shocking. Sheff utd literally just sat in till we gave them the ball and hit on the counter. Both goals were dreadful defending, we weren’t tight enough to the guys crossing it and weren’t even marking the goalscorers. Couldn’t defend and couldn’t attack. All we did was pass to reed or dack and hope they do something while every other player stands and watches, no movement. Then when sheff utd did go forward and we got the ball we took so long we let sheff utd get back in and sit. It was either a boring sidewould pass as nobody moved or a hopeless diag where we never picked up the 2nds. Bit more intensity was needed all round tonight, slow and sloppy. We looked so easy to deal with tonight sheff utd didn’t have to do anything special. 

4 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Mowbray has a record for getting a team promoted from the Championship to the Premier League.

I thought Dack did okay when he got it personally. Just the service into him was woeful.

Graham, Brereton, Smallwood all had very poor games for me. Reed, Evans, Lenihan, Williams Armstrong etc all medioce. No one had a good game.

If Graham gets injured (looked like he could be injured today) we will have problems I think.

• Backroom
Just now, jim mk2 said:

Need 2 top centre halves. The Brereton money should have been spent on them

I said before the match started that a defensive pairing of Lenihan/Williams worried me. They aren't necessarily to blame for tonight as the entire team looked bereft of confidence and belief, but I agree that we should have been spending our money on defensive reinforcements rather than gambling on a youngster. That's the kind of purchase you make when you're established and already have a strong team, not when there's still areas in genuine need of improvement. I have some pretty grave concerns over the Brereton signing and really hope I'm proven wrong because right now it seems like that money needed to be spent elsewhere. Now granted we did need striking reinforcements too, but I don't think Brereton was or is the answer. He doesn't look like a hold up man, and that's how we primarily play, so what was the thinking behind that deal? It doesn't look like we're changing formation or style any time soon. 

• Like 2