BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

ROVERS v Sheff Utd

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Sheffield United outplayed us in every department. Wilder has built a very good side with no superstars and fit into the tactical approach. Every players knows their roles. Really impressive performance. Fan need to give them their credit they deserved

On Rovers, 1st half our performance wasn't good enough but for me, more down to Sheffield united stopping us playing. Norwood stop Dack from playing every time, Sheffield United back 3 of Basham, Egan, O'Connell stop Graham and never allow him to played. Mowbray has to go 3 at the back after half time and match them up cos 4-2-3-1 wasn't helping us and we couldn't stop them. 

At the second half, going 3 at the back switching to 3-5-2 help us more and allow us more of the ball but Graham and Dack couldn't get into the game. So I can understand why Mowbray bring on Brereton on for Graham and try to unlock the Sheffield United defence with movement and pace. But that's didn't work so Mowbray went 4-4-2 with Dack wide right and Rothwell wide left with Brereton and Armstrong up front. To allow Dack more space and trying to get into the game but Sheffield United stopped it again. Mowbray tried everything to get back into the game, and any fan criticising him for doing this need to watch the game back and have a look at yourselves in the mirror! Brereton was making runs and decent ones but we weren't given him the ball. He likes the ball into feet and that's the type of striker he is. 

some of the comments I've read tonight are frankly embarrassing and some people need to have a proper look at themselves

Why in a game we were totally outclassed in at home should people look in the mirror if they criticise him? Are you suggesting that he should be above criticism?

No one says he didnt try and get back in the game. Sadly what he did tonight failed.

All bar one person who controversially said he doesnt think Mowbray is the best person have solely criticised a single game in which we didnt play our usual game, sat back, offered nothing at all, with the manager culpable for that. (Mulgrew sub, Reed corner taker, no pressing etc) Also the likes of Brereton have taken flak simply because they played crap.

Overall so far this season we have done average. Too many draws. Mowbrays doing fine and obviously only those courting controversy will suggest a change. Theres a lot to like but its not quite the fantastic start people paint it to be.

Edited by roversfan99
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Because Sheffield United man marked Dack with Norwood majortity of the game when in the final third. Dack was dropping so deep he was playing into Sheffield United hands. 

They stopping through balls into Graham's feet and we couldn't get wide. 

Have I used the Barcelona in any point Ive made tonight? Ive haven't seen them play all season. 

Mowbray tried 3 different ways of playing tonight and we couldn't break them down saldy. 

Exactly so if Rothwell had started then we wouldnt have had to look for Dack all game,Rothwell would have caused them more problems than Armstrong.

We also have Palmer who i havent been that impressed with but he has scored 3 goals and has done well in previous loan spells in this Division.

We have some creative player's that the manager brought in,its time he started to use them. Maybe if we stopped thinking about the opposition so much then we would have put our own stamp on the game tonight and not made it so easy for the opposition.

Sheffield United are a good side yes but lets not act like we were playing Man City.We lost our unbeaten record tonight without putting up any fight at all.

Reed was the only player who started tonight that was'nt with us last season.

Like i have said i think Mowbray has done a great job but im not going to lie he does do some crazy things and make me scratch my head the mulgrew situation tonight being one of them. 

If its evans and smallwood together again on saturday il be annoyed

• Like 1

Just now, islander200 said:

Exactly so if Rothwell had started then we wouldnt have had to look for Dack all game,Rothwell would have caused them more problems than Armstrong.

We also have Palmer who i havent been that impressed with but he has scored 3 goals and has done well in previous loan spells in this Division.

We have some creative player's that the manager brought in,its time he started to use them. Maybe if we stopped thinking about the opposition so much then we would have put our own stamp on the game tonight and not made it so easy for the opposition.

Sheffield United are a good side yes but lets not act like we were playing Man City.We lost our unbeaten record tonight without putting up any fight at all.

Reed was the only player who started tonight that was'nt with us last season.

Like i have said i think Mowbray has done a great job but im not going to lie he does do some crazy things and make me scratch my head the mulgrew situation tonight being one of them. 

If its evans and smallwood together again on saturday il be annoyed

I would say Raya had a very good game. Reed was good and Rothwell when he came on. 

Never mention City either. 

Besides Bristol City, this was the worst I have seen Rovers this season.  Offered very little, nothing to get excited about.  Tony needs a backup plan if sides bring the "3 at the back" system to Ewood as we could not deal with it.  Dack was cancelled out all game, and both Graham and Brereton offered little to threaten Sheff Utd.  Good side, and will go close this year.  If there is a dark horse for promotion this year, its them.  

Edited by @roverseas

• Backroom
3 hours ago, islander200 said:

We CAN'T cancel the Brereton deal as has been said on here numerous times. 

Agree on the witch hunt, yeah he hasn't been good but to be fair best striker in the world would have struggled tonight with the piss poor service

Correct. Number of times Dack was spotted in OUR half searching for the ball was ridiculous. Better 2nd half, but need to keep going.

Ugh...that was as unpleasant a 90mins of Rovers as you’ll see. After they went 2-0 we simply ran out of ideas, they sat back and just kinda laughed at us. They were quicker to everything, and their passing was exquisite at times, made Reed and Evans look like pub league players.

Couple of notes:

Bell and Armstrong in the first half had some success down the left flank, but time and time again the final ball was poor.

We missed Ryan Nyambe very badly tonight. Doubt he would have allowed the first goal to happen.

Mulgrew ran the show but totally lost Sharp for the second goal.

Dack looked hungover to me, poor body language second half. Looked like he was in the huff about being shunted out to the right mid spot.

Smallwoods passing is beyond diabolical

Rothwell definitely has dodgy pictures of Tony

Armstrong looked dangerous at times and at others looks totally out of his depth

Reed got man of the match but he should be embarrassed to pick up the bottle of Champagne. I thought he was poor and won very little in the middle. He will play better and not get noticed.

I don’t know what team Tony trots out on Saturday, but we have some issues with this squad and what his best formation is. The love fest with Smallwood and Evans needs to end, and Bennett needs start playing better, albeit he only ever seems to play well in centre midfield.

Bolton on saturday is a huge game, another defeat and this could be a very long season.

Edited by Fraserkirky

6 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

how do I know. 

sorry to say this but people are already managers to replace Mowbray like Jim. 

maybe we should have started 3 at the back and match them. 

Mowbray tried 3 different formations and trying to get Dack into the game. everything failed. Sheffield United stop Graham and Dack from playing. 

what part of the team selection are you unhappy about?

Sheffield didn't do anything different in this game than they do every week. You are making it sound like they changed tactics and systems when we did to stop us playing. In every aspect of football they were better and Mowbray looked forlorn on the touchline as the realisation hit home. 

After Saturday we have Leeds, Swansea and West Bromwich. We'll do well to get a point from those three.

6 hours ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Pointing out the bleeding obvious but TM really needs to figure out how to set us up at home far more effectively. Our compact, counter attacking style works well away from home where we’re looking to keep it tight and grab a draw/win by the 1 goal, but it clearly ain’t working at home against superior opposition this season. I fear he’s made a bit of a rod for his own back though with his lack of width recruitment, but he still needs to go for it more with the likes of Rothwell and Palmer.

Pretty much my thoughts about the contrasting styles home and away.

And how bloody long did Brereton take to tie his boot laces?

Edited by arbitro
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, DaveyB said:

Interesting quote from Mowbray after tonight’s game:

“Defeat is part of football, that’s what I’ve said. It’s okay to lose a game every now and then, it’s how you react and bounce back and I have every confidence they will.”

You can tell he doesn’t come on to BRFCS much or he’d know that every defeat is the end of the world - hell, anything less than a comfortable 3-0 win every game is a sign of tactical ineptitude and weakness!! ?

It's ok to win some at home too. ?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, tomphil said:

Some of the basics are missing though and the point many of us brought up in summer - we need wingers or a winger on the wings to get crosses in, create things on the break seeing as we play counter attack at HOME.

As mentioned in summer you won't get away with playing strikers on the wings every game in this league like we (sometimes got away with it) last season. So so frustrating and seeing as they've splashed 7 mill on a kid who looks like a fish out of water I refuse to believe they couldn't have found one decent winger from somewhere once it became clear Chapman was a no go.

This isn't a knee jerk reaction to tonight but that game did highlight it yet again, it ain't rocket science.

SUFC - two crosses, two goals. Their major tactic was to overload the wings and get the ball in the box. It's simple but very effective. They were also constantly trying to feed balls in behind our full backs or work openings with an extra man so someone was free to cross it. They didn't float the crosses either like we do, they banged then in at head height or on the floor. Sharp seems to get a lot of his goals that way when you watch their highlights on the box.

Our only major attacking threat seems to come from a long ball to Graham and then win the knock-downs. As a tactic that is effective when Graham is winning the battle. When he's not like last night we don't have a clue what to do. Dack is being well-marked in this league so his effectiveness as a playmaker is diluted. We send the occasional long diagonal to AA but then he just loses it so I'm not sure the purpose of that. 

Unfortunately Mowbray doesn't like wingers. He likes midfielders out wide who don't lose their shape and strikers out wide who lose the ball. Harsh, but very true. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Why in a game we were totally outclassed in at home should people look in the mirror if they criticise him? Are you suggesting that he should be above criticism?

No one says he didnt try and get back in the game. Sadly what he did tonight failed.

All bar one person who controversially said he doesnt think Mowbray is the best person have solely criticised a single game in which we didnt play our usual game, sat back, offered nothing at all, with the manager culpable for that. (Mulgrew sub, Reed corner taker, no pressing etc) Also the likes of Brereton have taken flak simply because they played crap.

Overall so far this season we have done average. Too many draws. Mowbrays doing fine and obviously only those courting controversy will suggest a change. Theres a lot to like but its not quite the fantastic start people paint it to be.

A fair post. Not sure why Chaddy is trolling by using a laughing emoji in response. Poor do. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Stuart said:

We were beaten by a better drilled, stronger, fitter side.

Correct and pretty much the only reason we lost. A quiet performance from Dack, who for the first time this season wasn't double marked, and we failed to put United under any real pressure.

Hillarious how some are calling for a change of manager after last night's defeat. Give yer heads a wobble. 

Of course he is open to criticism, but ultimately we are a kick of a ball here or there away from being in the play offs. Very, very tight margins. 

We should have started with 3 at the back. Mowbray said he didn't want to show we were afaird of them, but I think his comments post game did that anyway. 

Need a win Saturday to go into the international break 

Sheffield United are ahead of us in their progression. They are where they are in the league for a reason. I wouldn't be surprised to see them finish top 2. I will be surprised if they aren't in the play offs at least. I think some of our younger players learnt some lessons last night. 

The pressure of the big move seems to be weighing on brereton. Even the lace thing looked like nerves. Fans need to give the guy a break. He is 19 years if age and getting on his back won't do any good. We would all love if he hit the ground running, him included, but doesn't always work out like that. 

• Like 2

Who’s asking for a change of manager? A fewfull time trolls on social media?

We were actually clapped off last night (not exactly an ovation, but stil) after a comprehensive home defeat. Couldn’t tell you last time I heard such a thing. The bloke has unwavering support in the fan base.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Mattyblue said:

Who’s asking for a change of manager? A fewfull time trolls on social media?

We were actually clapped off last night (not exactly an ovation, but stil) after a comprehensive home defeat. Couldn’t tell you last time I heard such a thing. The bloke has unwavering support in the fan base.

A number on here said it. I read one comment saying MCarthy and Bruce are available. 

I agree most are, rightly, cometely behind Mowbray 

8 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Don't have a problem setting up like that away from home if the thinking is to try and keep it tight and nick a goal.

But surely we have a responsibility to be a lot more proactive and adventurous at home? You can't deny surely that our home record is pretty poor.

Its funny, we would have had no chance of the summer signings joining us last season when we were in Div 1 but now we are in a higher league the Div 1 players start and the signings are left out.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Fraserkirky said:

Ugh...that was as unpleasant a 90mins of Rovers as you’ll see. After they went 2-0 we simply ran out of ideas, they sat back and just kinda laughed at us. They were quicker to everything, and their passing was exquisite at times, made Reed and Evans look like pub league players.

Couple of notes:

Bell and Armstrong in the first half had some success down the left flank, but time and time again the final ball was poor.

We missed Ryan Nyambe very badly tonight. Doubt he would have allowed the first goal to happen.

Mulgrew ran the show but totally lost Sharp for the second goal.

Dack looked hungover to me, poor body language second half. Looked like he was in the huff about being shunted out to the right mid spot.

Smallwoods passing is beyond diabolical

Rothwell definitely has dodgy pictures of Tony

Armstrong looked dangerous at times and at others looks totally out of his depth

Reed got man of the match but he should be embarrassed to pick up the bottle of Champagne. I thought he was poor and won very little in the middle. He will play better and not get noticed.

I don’t know what team Tony trots out on Saturday, but we have some issues with this squad and what his best formation is. The love fest with Smallwood and Evans needs to end, and Bennett needs start playing better, albeit he only ever seems to play well in centre midfield.

Bolton on saturday is a huge game, another defeat and this could be a very long season.

Disagree entirely on Reed. Was our best outfield player maybe bar Rothwells cameo.

We need a shakeup for Saturday and Reed starting centre mid should be the first change.

If Tony is a fair man then he should be looking at that performance and make the appropriate changes. Joe Rothwell deserves to start for a kick off and I'd be tempted to play Palmer instead of Armstrong who i'd either play through the middle or bring on for Graham.  

• Like 1

• Moderation Lead

I don't think anyone can deny our line ups at home need to be more adventurous. I know TM likes his cosy 2.5 attackers, but things do need to change a bit. 

Rothwell and Palmer in the next game, please. 

• Like 3