BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

ROVERS v Sheff Utd

People are defending and arguing against an in the main, totally fabricated argument that Mowbrays job should or is in any way questionable. As far as I know only Jim suggested that was the case, plus Mercer who has seen a poor performance, smelt blood and made a perfectly timed return...

We were crap last night and Mowbray had a poor night. Its not wrong to say that.

Also as much as Sheff United are having a good season theres way too much respect. Theyve only been in the league a year and havent spent much money compared to us, selling their star player in the summer. Key was to continue to play their game, their identity, in a way that played to their strengths and efficiently. They did that well. We did the opposite, we are at our best with a high intensity rather than backing off. We was the home team and there was too much unfounded fear for me.

• Like 6

30 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

People are defending and arguing against an in the main, totally fabricated argument that Mowbrays job should or is in any way questionable. As far as I know only Jim suggested that was the case, plus Mercer who has seen a poor performance, smelt blood and made a perfectly timed return...

We were crap last night and Mowbray had a poor night. Its not wrong to say that.

Also as much as Sheff United are having a good season theres way too much respect. Theyve only been in the league a year and havent spent much money compared to us, selling their star player in the summer. Key was to continue to play their game, their identity, in a way that played to their strengths and efficiently. They did that well. We did the opposite, we are at our best with a high intensity rather than backing off. We was the home team and there was too much unfounded fear for me.

But we were speculating that this would be the case even before the team was announced. TM is just too cautious and he's a bit long in the tooth to change now.

Need to lower our expectations I think.

• Backroom
1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

I see this after every loss on twitter 

People go on and on about people overreacting talks of giving heads wobbles and all that but often there’s barely any over reaction!

Surely disappointment at a loss is pretty natural

• Like 3

I always think this team forces TM's hand and the results they get stop hm doing what he really wants. I think ever since hes got the job he has wanted to play 3 at the back.

Results in league one forced him to abandon it early on and we went on such a run he couldnt dare change it.

Again this year I think he wanted to go 3 at the back again but felt he couldnt change from last year.

Every signing he makes seems like its made with 3 at the back in mind. Everytime a game is going badly he instantly chnages to 3 at the back.

I think he is just itching to do it but cant seem to bring himself to take the gamble and risk the backlash when there is so much good will around the club

We have no wide players, loads of centre mids, loads of number 10's and almost 10million tied up on the bench in 2 strikers who cant get a game with Graham up front on his own.

For me 3 at the back seems the only way to get the best out of the players he has signed

• Like 3

1 hour ago, FGS5635 said:

I always think this team forces TM's hand and the results they get stop hm doing what he really wants. I think ever since hes got the job he has wanted to play 3 at the back.

Results in league one forced him to abandon it early on and we went on such a run he couldnt dare change it.

Again this year I think he wanted to go 3 at the back again but felt he couldnt change from last year.

Every signing he makes seems like its made with 3 at the back in mind. Everytime a game is going badly he instantly chnages to 3 at the back.

I think he is just itching to do it but cant seem to bring himself to take the gamble and risk the backlash when there is so much good will around the club

We have no wide players, loads of centre mids, loads of number 10's and almost 10million tied up on the bench in 2 strikers who cant get a game with Graham up front on his own.

For me 3 at the back seems the only way to get the best out of the players he has signed

Last night won't have done him any favours then he had the perfect opportunity to do it and match Sheff U. Ironically although they controlled it we contained them first half, then....

• Backroom
3 hours ago, Tom said:

I see this after every loss on twitter 

People go on and on about people overreacting talks of giving heads wobbles and all that but often there’s barely any over reaction!

Surely disappointment at a loss is pretty natural

Fans who offer critcism really can't win with certain sections of our fanbase. If you point out flaws when we lose then you're overreacting, knee-jerking, doom mongering, etc. When you do so after a win or a draw you're accused of not supporting the team, being unreasonable and not being able to "just enjoy the result". If you then keep quiet and stop criticising when we get a good result you get the old "haven't got much to say now, have you?"

It's lose-lose with some people no matter what, so if you have something to say, just say it and don't worry about what others think. There's nothing wrong with asking for improvement or questioning certain decisions. Obviously it's possible to go too far down the negative side of the scale, but it's just as prevalent in the opposite direction. The middle ground is where we should all be aiming for.

• Like 7

I've not read all the comments on here, not got time, but a skim read through suggests many on here had too high expectations. Last night we were thoroughly outplayed and deserved exactly what we got, but I don't think there's need for words such as "appalling", "disgusting" etc. about our performance.  Lethargic yes, tired and out of sorts definitely, but Sheff Utd were superb from the off; it was a perfect performance from them. On one level I'm surprised it's taken this long for us to meet a team like that and be given a reality check of what this league can be like. If we put in a performance like that on Saturday then I'll be concerned, but for now I'll just doff my cap and say well done Sheff Utd. 

• Like 5

Just now, Atko's Engine said:

I've not read all the comments on here, not got time, but a skim read through suggests many on here had too high expectations. Last night we were thoroughly outplayed and deserved exactly what we got, but I don't think there's need for words such as "appalling", "disgusting" etc. about our performance.  Lethargic yes, tired and out of sorts definitely, but Sheff Utd were superb from the off; it was a perfect performance from them. On one level I'm surprised it's taken this long for us to meet a team like that and be given a reality check of what this league can be like. If we put in a performance like that on Saturday then I'll be concerned, but for now I'll just doff my cap and say well done Sheff Utd. 

I agree they were very good. I just worry we will continue to struggle at home as we are very predictable as an attacking force. 

• Like 1

We were last night, but I don't think you can say that about most other games this season. Dack & Graham both had off nights; we missed Bennett's drive higher up the pitch; and service to Brereton was poor when he came on. We just weren't at the races front to back. Against your Boltons, Rotherhams, QPRs, Sheff Weds etc. I expect (hope!) we'll be far more competitive in order to achieve our realistic season's goal of midtable security. We should definitely start Rothwell though next match in place of Armstrong. I like Armstrong but he needs to play more centrally, Rothwell is far more at ease and creative on the left.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mercer said:

Watching Rovers, it's a struggle to see what Mowbray is trying to do.

Don't think our organisation is great and there is no identity to our play.

I think we are poorly coached.

I’m honestly not sure what credentials D Lowe has to coach in the Championship.

We need better.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Atko's Engine said:

We were last night, but I don't think you can say that about most other games this season.

I think I can certainly say that about our other home games. 4 goals in open play at home all season, 1 win, the least crosses and the most long balls. We are very one-dimensional. God help us if Graham gets injured.

It's not rocket science to me, we move Bennett to right back and the opposition play through us far easier than when he's higher up the pitch hounding them. He sets the tempo for the pressing and others follow, that was absent last night.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, FGS5635 said:

8 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I think 3 at the back may be the way to go against Bolton, with Bell and Bennett offering width 

Very confused by this championing of 3 at the back. No matter how the theory of it looks, haven't we been bobbins every time we have used this? And played all our best stuff with 4-2-3-1?

• Like 1

Just now, Songman said:

It's not rocket science to me, we move Bennett to right back and the opposition play through us far easier than when he's higher up the pitch hounding them. He sets the tempo for the pressing and others follow, that was absent last night.

Centre mid is where I prefer him. I can see how there are some games he is needed wide though.

• Backroom

I'd love to see us let the shackles loose in one appropriate home match and just see what happens. Have Palmer, Dack, Armstrong, Graham/Brereton and Rothwell all in the same team. It might end up being a total suicide mission but it'd be interesting to see if we could put a team to the sword with a genuinely dynamic and energetic attacking focus, rather than having the likes of Smallwood and Evans slowing everything down and just punting it up to Graham with the hope of a flick down leading to something. 

• Like 2

Just now, bluebruce said:

Centre mid is where I prefer him. I can see how there are some games he is needed wide though.

Yes, even when he's out wide you can tell he has been tasked with chasing down across the opposition back 4 and closing keeper down, saves Graham's legs.

2 minutes ago, Songman said:

Good point. And it also showed how much we miss Nyambe, SUFC had a field day down our right hand side and both goals came from there.

3 hours ago, DE. said:

I'd love to see us let the shackles loose in one appropriate home match and just see what happens. Have Palmer, Dack, Armstrong, Graham/Brereton and Rothwell all in the same team. It might end up being a total suicide mission but it'd be interesting to see if we could put a team to the sword with a genuinely dynamic and energetic attacking focus, rather than having the likes of Smallwood and Evans slowing everything down and just punting it up to Graham with the hope of a flick down leading to something. 

This.

For home games anyhow.

3 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

I think I can certainly say that about our other home games. 4 goals in open play at home all season, 1 win, the least crosses and the most long balls. We are very one-dimensional. God help us if Graham gets injured.

Substitute the name Graham for Dack and I'd completely agree with that. As with last season it still seems to me that if you stop Dack playing you stop Rovers.

Despite the fact we've made an acceptable start I'd say our home form has to be a major concern as Id imagine we'll suffer a thin spell on the road at some point. The manager needs to be a lot braver at home and start utilising some of the players he deemed good enough to sign in summer.

• Like 1

And the game showed that if you nulify Graham, you nulify Dack. Without Graham holding the ball up there is nothing for Dack to feed off. He drops further and further back looking for the ball and when he gets it he either tries to do it all on his own or is too deep to hurt the opposition. Both are key but lets not forget the Derby game when Dack started and it was soon realised that Graham was needed hence the first half substitution. Wednesday night just showed that marking Graham out the game then Rovers plans A, B and C are no good.

Wednesday showed that Dack has ability with his feet but is lacking at times with his brains.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, dingles staying down 4ever said:

Wednesday showed that Dack has ability with his feet but is lacking at times with his brains.

Very harsh. Dack is a very intelligent footballer. You don't score the goals he does without having a good football brain.

Is also stating the obvious to say he needs people around him who can give him the ball and when he does get it he needs people to pass it you. If there's no movement he's just going to get crowded out. He was shit on Wednesday, but there's barely a game he doesn't have a significant impact. To say he is 'lacking in brains' after a bad night is idiotic.

• Like 3