BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

ROVERS v Sheff Utd

12 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:
13 hours ago, Atko's Engine said:

We were last night, but I don't think you can say that about most other games this season.

I think I can certainly say that about our other home games. 4 goals in open play at home all season, 1 win, the least crosses and the most long balls. We are very one-dimensional. God help us if Graham gets injured

Hmm, I get your point blueboy but since when did goals from open play count more than goals from set pieces? Surely we've done something good in open play to get those set pieces in the first place. For example we carved Forest open with good short interplay on several occasions in open play, albeit we only got 2 goals to show for it. How many times have we hit the woodwork from open play at home this season, it's 4 or 5 I think?

I agree we could be more clinical at times and are too reliant on Graham & Dack, but we're very much work in progress. I'm sure I speak for everyone on here when I say I'm hoping for Brereton to take weight off Graham's shoulders in time, and for TM to decide on his best first 11 and reliable plans B & C soon. 

3 minutes ago, Atko's Engine said:

Hmm, I get your point blueboy but since when did goals from open play count more than goals from set pieces? Surely we've done something good in open play to get those set pieces in the first place.

That's a stretch! Paul McShane gifted us two pens against Reading. The 'carving' Forest open was impressive but it happened once or twice. Reed was instrumental in that but he was played out of position. The point still stands about the least number of crosses in the box and the most long balls in the division. We offer very little threat from out wide and are thus wholly reliant on Graham and Dack. When they were 'nullified' against SUFC as Wilder pointed out, we had nothing else. 

Edited by blueboy3333

• J*B unpinned this topic
2 hours ago, dingles staying down 4ever said:

And the game showed that if you nulify Graham, you nulify Dack. Without Graham holding the ball up there is nothing for Dack to feed off. He drops further and further back looking for the ball and when he gets it he either tries to do it all on his own or is too deep to hurt the opposition. Both are key but lets not forget the Derby game when Dack started and it was soon realised that Graham was needed hence the first half substitution. Wednesday night just showed that marking Graham out the game then Rovers plans A, B and C are no good.

Wednesday showed that Dack has ability with his feet but is lacking at times with his brains.

Dack is an intelligent footballer, it's easy to see that. There is just far too much pressure on him to be our creative influence. We need to get Rothwell and Palmer in the team at home. Dack is surrounded by Bennett, Reed, Smallwood and Evans. Solid players, but you would not say they are prolific goal scorers and/or assist machines. When Graham is taken out of the game, the supply to Dack is choked up, hence why he had to crop deep to try and make something happen

1 hour ago, rog of the rovers said:

Sorry if this has already been addressed, but did we get to the bottom of what the little scuffle (Riverside towards the end) was all about?

A bloke was leaving early to go to work and got some abuse for leaving early, it escalated quickly  (those involved mentioned it on twitter)

Edited by perthblue02

6 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

We offer very little threat from out wide and are thus wholly reliant on Graham and Dack

That was certainly the case on Wednesday I agree, and was amplified by us also not having Nyambe & Bennett together on the right side providing support, as we have done most of the season to reasonably good effect in most people's eyes. We should definitely aim to have more variety in our play though (I'll comment more on this in the Brereton thread later), and I'm quietly confident that'll come in time if we keep the core of this group together over the coming 12-18 months.

• Like 1

On 05/10/2018 at 09:55, Bigdoggsteel said:

Dack is an intelligent footballer, it's easy to see that. There is just far too much pressure on him to be our creative influence. We need to get Rothwell and Palmer in the team at home. Dack is surrounded by Bennett, Reed, Smallwood and Evans. Solid players, but you would not say they are prolific goal scorers and/or assist machines. When Graham is taken out of the game, the supply to Dack is choked up, hence why he had to crop deep to try and make something happen

Really? If he had the intelligence to go with his ability of his feet he wouldnt be at Rovers....he'd be in the premiership

27 minutes ago, dingles staying down 4ever said:

Really? If he had the intelligence to go with his ability of his feet he wouldnt be at Rovers....he'd be in the premiership

Yesterday I thought he showed a huge amount of footballing intelligence and positional sense.

Put another game changer on the park with him and watch him blossom. We might have that in Rodwell. Stick a Chapman on who needs two opponents to cover his pace and just watch Dack use the extra bit of space that will give him.

• Like 1