BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Swansea Away Tickets

13 minutes ago, JHRover said:

https://www.rovers.co.uk/news/2018/october/ticket-news-swansea-city-a/

On sale from today, just £30 each for adults. 5 hour+ each way trip on a Tuesday night, on the red button.

Do they want any travelling fans to bother or would they just prefer home season ticket holders and the tv cash?

There is absolutely no justification for such an extortionate price. I don't think there will be too much change out of £100 for those who bother going. Also factor in that many will have to take time off work.

It really surprises me that clubs don't consider all the above factors when considering prices. It shouldn't surprise me though because I realised long ago that many clubs (including Rovers) see supporters as cash cows who are there to make as much as possible out of.

• Moderation Lead

'Football without fans is nothing'.

Well, it appears that clubs and the league don't agree! The problem we've got is that link someone shared a while back, where some clubs could have zero fans in the ground and they'd still make money. 

Football sold its soul ages ago, they're just taking the proverbial now.....

2 hours ago, K-Hod said:

Well, it appears that clubs and the league don't agree! The problem we've got is that link someone shared a while back, where some clubs could have zero fans in the ground and they'd still make money. 

It was the Premiership though, over half of them. Interestingly not your Chelseas or Manures but those in the bottom half.

Can't disagree with your last comment. There should be  an unconditional, fixed maximum charge for away fans, given all the cost and trouble getting there and in.

Provides atmosphere without which football is dead.

Its not fans who run the show though.

7 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Miles away from Lancashire and London/south east, so won’t be attracting our expats from that neck of the woods that make up a lot of our support at southern away days.

Be amazed if we took 200.

It’s just a case of milking the away faithful. Those prepared to travel that distance on a Tuesday night will be a pretty static number regardless of price so just shake them down for every penny is the mantra.

What I don’t get is why Rovers don’t do similar whilst keeping the home fans happy. With the BBE Upper shut it’s a unique opportunity to charge what they like for away fans in the DE Upper. Yet our pricing and approach seems to be about maximising away numbers whilst putting a glass ceiling home support.

To then have the likes of Mowbray come out with comments suggesting he is disappointed with the home fan numbers is frankly insulting our intelligence. Especially when he has bought players in the window who he puts lower in the pecking order than last season’s squad - whilst we continue to draw games at home.

The recipe isn’t quite right somehow.

21 hours ago, K-Hod said:

Correct but it's taken far too many fans a very long time to recognise this.

My gut feeling is every away game could run exactly the same thread for the season. See the Bolton tickets discussion. There is nothing to be done for away fans and in our case probably very little will be done for home support.

As I've said before anyone who wants to make an impact should switch off the TV, tape over the red button, cancel Say, not go to the pub and tell the TV and pub why. Hitting advertising revenue is the solution but it won't happen, fans are peeing in the wind.

Only when the armchair audience declines will we see change.

24 minutes ago, Paul said:

Correct but it's taken far too many fans a very long time to recognise this.

My gut feeling is every away game could run exactly the same thread for the season. See the Bolton tickets discussion. There is nothing to be done for away fans and in our case probably very little will be done for home support.

As I've said before anyone who wants to make an impact should switch off the TV, tape over the red button, cancel Say, not go to the pub and tell the TV and pub why. Hitting advertising revenue is the solution but it won't happen, fans are peeing in the wind.

Only when the armchair audience declines will we see change.

Why would armchair audience decline when more and more people are watching football/sport on tv. Plus all the other channels you can have

It's probably going to hit the smaller League Two clubs before the Championship ones.

The likes of Stanley rely heavily on gates and away followings. We're approaching a stage where it is going to be easier and cheaper for away fans to stay at home and watch the match on IFollow for £10 than it is to travel to Accrington midweek, pay £15-20 for a ticket to stand on the open terrace and get home in the middle of the night.

They'll get away with it, at least for the time being, in the Championship because the amount of TV cash sloshing around offsets whatever harm is done to attendance and atmosphere, but lower down I doubt it is so easy.

Last night a Doncaster fan could sit at home on his computer and pay £10 to watch the match, or take time off work and spend £50+ on tickets, travel and food travelling to Accrington to watch the game in person.

Same goes for Swansea v Rovers however I doubt Swansea are going to be too bothered if a couple of hundred Rovers fans don't bother going, whereas that sort of thing will hurt clubs like Accy and Morecambe.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Why would armchair audience decline when more and more people are watching football/sport on tv. Plus all the other channels you can have

I said WHEN.........

9 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Have you got figures to back that up? 

Here is just one of a number of articles that says otherwise

https://theconversation.com/declining-sport-viewership-shows-why-we-should-keep-it-on-free-tv-72357

and one in particular for Premier League football

https://www.football365.com/news/sky-suffer-record-drop-in-viewers-for-prem-games

Edited by perthblue02

55 minutes ago, arbitro said:

West Brom ticket prices announced today and they should be congratulated for their sensible pricing. Hopefully we will sell out particularly after the recent Bolton and upcoming Swansea extortionate pricing.

https://www.rovers.co.uk/news/2018/october/ticket-news-west-brom-a/

I would fully support Rovers returning the favour when they come to Ewood and giving them tickets at £20 a piece. Suspect that won't happen as Cheston/Waggott will have that one earmarked for 'Category A' pricing due to their league position and likely large away following if they are still up near the top, so it will be £27 and a surcharge on the day.

• Like 2

Like you've mentioned many times JH i'd be more interested in them charging like for like at the top end first. When Bolton and Leeds pitch up it should be 30+ and 40+ respectively NO arguments.

If they still bring big followings Rovers are quids in anyway and if it halves it you've got half the hassle, half the costs with less of the ground open, police, stewards etc and most importantly of all which never seems to factor at Ewood half the support for the bloody opposition.  All that with the takings being the same in terms of tickets !!!!

How much do these execs get paid to think outside the box just a little bit ?????

About time they did !