BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Bolton vs Rovers

AAK

• Backroom

Feels like a big game that could set the tone, need to get back on top.

I remember one enjoyable trip there when one of their players scored an own goal from outside the box although recently I feel as though we lose more than we win against them.

Cant comment on last night but feel Palmer should be ahead of Armstrong but Rothwell ahead of both.

12 hours ago, Husky said:

Why is the train service still so diabolical.? The Manchester-Blackburn line has been like that for about 5 years already.

In this case it's electrification of the line which I think is on it's third overrun from the projected completion date. The weekend closures are due to end on November 4th.

All of us who use the line are sick of it but one also needs to keep in mind it's not just electrification but also bridge replacement, new platforms and platform extensions.

Must win game this one for me. Some might say that's dramatic or hysterical or an over-reaction to last night or that a draw would be a good point away from home but really given the performance last night, 2 points dropped v Forest on Saturday and with the fixtures coming up later this month we need a win here to fall back on. Leeds home and Swansea/WBA away will be tough, though not mission impossible, but Bolton provides by far our best opportunity of a win. We cannot allow a rot to set in and the wins to dry up as unbeaten spells full of draws won't get you very far. That's why Rotherham aren't far behind even though they've lost 3x the games we have.

Edited by JHRover

Raya

Travis        Lenihan       Mulgrew      Bell

Bennett       Reed        Rodwell     Rothwell

Dack    

Graham

Subs: Leutwiler, Williams, Smallwood, Evans, Palmer, Armstrong, Brereton

9 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Raya

Bennett Lenihan Mulgrew Williams

Reed Evans

Armstrong      Dack        Rothwell  

Brereton

subs:- Luetwiler Rodwell Bell Graham Smallwood Palmer Conway

Just out of interest what did Brereton and Armstrong show last night to warrant a starting place? And after last night do you really think that Bennett is a full back? If we go with that 11 at Bolton we will be comfortably beaten.

• Like 1

First time posting but after watching the game last night I thought I'd put my opinion out there. Personally I would change the team around.

Raya

Reed Lenihan Mulgrew Bell

Evans Rothwell

Bennett Dack Palmer

Graham

Subs: Leutwiler, Rodwell, Williams, Smallwood, Travis, Armstrong, Brereton

I think this is a game very similar to the Sheffield United match in that Bolton will be solid defensively and any slow play from defence to the forward line will play right into their hands. 

After watching the game. I couldn't understand why Rothwell cannot get into this team. When you watch him he has the ability to create and commit an opposition player which frees up room for others. He also gets the ball forward much quicker than others in the midfield and I think it would free up Dack to get closer to Graham as he is more suited to a goal scoring midfielder than a deep playmaker

Also I agree with what's been said about Brereton with the fact that he hasn't started very well of impressed and I get the feeling that the manager may have gambled to much on him. Unfortunately that isn't the lads fault but personally when watching him he seems to crumble under pressure and doesn't yet have the mental side to his game to be a tough target man.

We need to score the first goal and get in front. From here subs such as Armstrong and Brereton can use any space that opens up to capitalise. We need to keep the ball on the floor as well as Bolton won't be able to deal with football played on the floor

Subs: Armstong/Palmer, Brereton/Graham, Rodwell/Rothwell

Score: 2-1 Rovers as we can't keep goals out. Hopefully we can get the win and get back on track.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Tom Stinny said:

First time posting but after watching the game last night I thought I'd put my opinion out there. Personally I would change the team around.

Raya

Reed Lenihan Mulgrew Bell

Evans Rothwell

Bennett Dack Palmer

Graham

Subs: Leutwiler, Rodwell, Williams, Smallwood, Travis, Armstrong, Brereton

I think this is a game very similar to the Sheffield United match in that Bolton will be solid defensively and any slow play from defence to the forward line will play right into their hands. 

After watching the game. I couldn't understand why Rothwell cannot get into this team. When you watch him he has the ability to create and commit an opposition player which frees up room for others. He also gets the ball forward much quicker than others in the midfield and I think it would free up Dack to get closer to Graham as he is more suited to a goal scoring midfielder than a deep playmaker

Also I agree with what's been said about Brereton with the fact that he hasn't started very well of impressed and I get the feeling that the manager may have gambled to much on him. Unfortunately that isn't the lads fault but personally when watching him he seems to crumble under pressure and doesn't yet have the mental side to his game to be a tough target man.

We need to score the first goal and get in front. From here subs such as Armstrong and Brereton can use any space that opens up to capitalise. We need to keep the ball on the floor as well as Bolton won't be able to deal with football played on the floor

Subs: Armstong/Palmer, Brereton/Graham, Rodwell/Rothwell

Score: 2-1 Rovers as we can't keep goals out. Hopefully we can get the win and get back on track.

I would have the same team as you.If Mowbray won't play Rothwell in midfield then i would have him wide and Rodwell in the middle alongside Evans.

We need something different in the midfield,Evans and Smallwood are too similar, obviously Mowbray thought Smallwood wasn't doing his job last night and took him off and it would send the wrong message to the likes of Rothwell and Rodwell if he sticks with Evans and Smallwood after the game's they both had last night.

Id possibly start Williams ahead of Bell, feel he is better defensively and although Bell probably edges him in terms of an attacking threat he isnt doing enough attacking to warrant a starting place.Last night especially first half we had a few opportunities to break away down the left and bring Armstrong into it but Bell's touch was so poor and heavy he ended up just giving the ball back to Sheffield United and leaving us under pressure

Just a couple of things that baffled me last night , one was CM on the bench if he is fit he should start ...

Second is the stuation with Rothwell and to why he does not get a start when we are at home ,i have watched every game he as played in  Rovers shirt and as impressed me everytime .

The only thing i can think off is TM does not have full confidence in his tracking back and postional awareness thats the only thing i can think of..

We have a few players at the club that are now realizing that you have to work hard to get your chances in the championship ,no more chances on a plate like they had in League 1 and i am talking about AA it takes more than a couple of twists and turns and a powder puff shot to call your nights work done ,in my opinion he needs to get is head up and his work rate and give his team mates something to aim for..

• Like 2

Rothwell should start with Evans for home games. We need more creativity in the side as we are far too reliant on Dack. If Dack plays badly, we won't win. We can't be in that situation. 

Reed is a great player, but at home at least, Palmer needs to play too. 

We have the perfect set up for away games, but we need to threaten teams more at home. 

Mowbray reminds me of myself playing football manager. Same formation and players every week as I get bored of changing it! 

He tweaked and rotated nearly every single game last season when often it didn't really call for it lol

Now I agree I think it's time for one formation and selection to start at home and the standard tried and tested away. We are going to struggle against the better stronger sides like Sheff U this season that's a given but we've shown we can surprise a few away TMs key personnel and system  when all fit and firing are ideal for away day smash and grabs in this league whilst other teams suss us out.

We need to find the key to winning home games as drawing against standard teams and losing against good ones could prove fatal later in the season. Now's the time to be bold and take a few risks on your own patch and start with a vibrant team.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 1

Raya

Reed       Mulgrew.   Williams.     Bell

Bennett.   Rodwell

Rothwell.           Dack.           Armstrong

Graham

Edited by Oldgregg86

42 minutes ago, tomphil said:

He tweaked and rotated nearly every single game last season when often it didn't really call for it lol

Now I agree I think it's time for one formation and selection to start at home and the standard tried and tested away. We are going to struggle against the better stronger sides like Sheff U this season that's a given but we've shown we can surprise a few away TMs key personnel and system  when all fit and firing are ideal for away day smash and grabs in this league whilst other teams suss us out.

We need to find the key to winning home games as drawing against standard teams and losing against good ones could prove fatal later in the season. Now's the time to be bold and take a few risks on your own patch and start with a vibrant team.

The older you get the more cautious you get. That's true in football just as it is in most other walks of life.

38 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

The older you get the more cautious you get. That's true in football just as it is in most other walks of life.

Hmm tend to agree although there was the curious case of Gary Bowyer.... old before his time ?  ?

• Backroom
4 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Didn't affect Alex Ferguson too much 

Fergal was certainly one of a kind. Probably the most adaptable manager in recent history. He certainly wasn't above being pragmatic if it was necessary. Once Ronaldo and Tevez departed United played a pretty rigid style pretty much until he retired - but they were still challenging, and that was the key. I think Mowbray can be adaptable, and he really wants to switch to this three at the back system, but he just hasn't been able to assemble a good enough team to feel comfortable going for it. So instead we have this defensive, cautious approach which is frustrating to watch but has so far been good enough. I'm not sure whether we'll ultimately get to the point where Mowbray can play his preferred style. It'll be a shame if so, as we'll never really see what Mowbray wants us to be. Arguably the story of every manager under Venky's tenure.

• Like 1

I'd be interest to see how much of the training/coaching time is taken up with  practicing 3 at the back.

We went to that formation at half-time v Sheff Utd, so you'd hope they had practiced the system in training. Didn't appear that way in the manner we conceded the goals.

If that is correct, then are we possibly confusing the players with 2 different systems, rather than focussing on being the best we can in 1 formation? Also it is taking up valuable training time on a system that is yet to work despite numerous attempts.