BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Bolton vs Rovers

AAK

1 minute ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Our man of the match was the linesman who for once was very good 

We should have one of those internet chip arounds and send him a few beers!  He looked pretty happy. I think he had a Rovers shirt on underneath :lol:

Just now, USABlue said:

If I was the owner of Rovers I would have Mowbary in my office Monday and make it clear.if he pulled that crap again he could clean iut his desk.  I don't think I have ever.felt this way, A win that feels like a loss, I feel sort if guilty we won that.

'Kin ell blue steady on ! :unsure:

A hard fought victory.

Crazy. Get the linesman a gift basket. He (correctly) saved us at the end. The main ref gave another ridiculous, absurd last minute penalty but it was offside. And he gave us a number of absurd yellows for time wasting, when there wasn't any of that. TM needs to ask the FA what is going on with all these penalties.

We definitely worked hard for the win and deserved it. For all their initiative, Bolton didn't have the edge to do anything about it - though Raya made a number of solid saves. Reed works hard too but made a number of shockingly poor passes, one that almost cost us a goal. TM saw that we couldn't regain control of the midfield and made the double change in CM, though that didn't have a dramatic effect. We need a ball winner. In attack we always look like we can create something, I thought Palmer made a very good run and pass for our goal - he has talent for sure, but is a bit too casual in his attitude right now.

This Championship is a heck of a rollercoaster, as promised.

• Backroom
Just now, philipl said:

You have to say Bolton have done extremely well to get to 15 points at this stage including the win against Derby.

They were way worse than Ipswich, Millwall and Reading against us and must be odds on a relegation fight.

Their start to the season genuinely blew my mind. Totally inexplicable, except that in this league any team can beat another team on their day. You only have to look at Ipswich beating Swansea at the Liberty today to see that. 

Dont think i've been as underwhelmed by a win since we beat Hull 1-0 at Ewood under Big Sam and they got booed at the end for being far too negative.

Bolton were dreadful and yet we park the bus for 70 mins. They are a mid table league 1 team on that performance (Bolton).

Interesting that Mowbray isn't (publicly) gloriously pleased with the performance. Thought he'd be rock hard after his back 5, 5-5-0, 2nd half clean sheet. 

We were a crossbar away from throwing away 3 goals in 13 minutes, 9 points lost in the last 10 mins and defending a 1-0 for 70mins isn't going to float for me. 

For the record i thought we played well for 22 mins and then defended very well (mostly) thereafter. Players need these 2 weeks off, that's for sure.

Positives:-

3 points.

A great first 20 minutes

Raya

Rodwell

Clean sheet

Linesman

Negatives:-

3 at the back.

Our performance when DG is off his game.

Getting caught in possession and giving the ball away in dangerous positions.

Inability to win headers

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 1

Thought the ref was actually good throughout, for a change. Agreed with the vast majority of his decisions for and against us. The only complete head-scratcher I can recall is when Evans got knocked over twice and then they were clambering all over him when he was down, and he gave the decision to Bolton. The penalty turned out to be the wrong call, but my first instinct was that it was a penalty. If the linesman hadn't excellently spotted the offside, I feel the replays were still a little inconclusive. First decent officiating we've had this season in my view, although a little overly keen to book for time-wasting.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Angry_Pirate said:

Dont think i've been as underwhelmed by a win since we beat Hull 1-0 at Ewood under Big Sam and they got booed at the end for being far too negative.

Bolton were dreadful and yet we park the bus for 70 mins. They are a mid table league 1 team on that performance (Bolton).

Interesting that Mowbray isn't (publicly) gloriously pleased with the performance. Thought he'd be rock hard after his back 5, 5-5-0, 2nd half clean sheet. 

We were a crossbar away from throwing away 3 goals in 13 minutes, 9 points lost in the last 10 mins and defending a 1-0 for 70mins isn't going to float for me. 

For the record i thought we played well for 22 mins and then defended very well (mostly) thereafter. Players need these 2 weeks off, that's for sure.

Mowbray is honest, so I'm not surprised he is underwhelmed. Not sure what else he can do though, he signed Palmer and Armstrong for their attacking flair and both were pretty shit today. Dack poor too. It was a war of attrition so he went for this two soldiers in the middle. Luckily it worked out

One thing out of that game : five different CMs played the role (Reed, Rothwell, Smallwood, Evans and Rodwell) who would you go for as the starting combo?

For me in order they are 

1) Reed (he's the best, pacy, strong in the tackle, good with the ball - why play him at RW/RWB??)

2) Evans - had a great start to the season and decent when he came on.

3) Rothwell (I would start him in the attacking three though not CM)

4) Rodwell - showed quite a bit of quality early on. Encouraging signs. Could become a first xi player soon, bit obviously needs fitness

5) Smallwood - I like his spirit, his character, but lacks the technical quality.