BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Bolton vs Rovers

AAK

2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

How did it confuse and hinder the team? Can you explain further? 

Surely his tactical changes help us get the 3 points? We defending their long balls better second half and stop their striker winning the ball in the air as much? 

The performance attacking wise for the last 60 mins wasnt good enough but at least we were good defensively and won a different way. 

I agree with Rodwell starting next game

First thing I want to say chaddy is to reiterate, we were poor today performance wise but we won and thats what matters.

I felt that too many players were in blatantly unfamiliar performances. Dack and at times Graham wide, not looking comfortable. Bennett left wing back, didnt look right. Bolton were awful and to be honest I felt that got us the win. It wasnt a stroke of tactical genius for me as it didnt stem the tide, we barely had a kick second half.

Rodwell has to start again yeah, Im a bit concerned that Mowbray said post match that he sees him as a defender due to not playing that role regularly as a professional footballer. He suits that holding role.  

• Like 1

• Backroom

We were fortunate to be playing the third lowest scorers in the league behind QPR and Rotherham, and even then we very nearly gave a penalty away in the final stages of the match. I don't think changing tactics and playing the same way is going to work against too many teams. There's nothing wrong with playing a more defensive style to protect a lead, but it can't come at the expense of completely nullifying our ability to attack. If the opposition knows you aren't going to be able to attack effectively they'll flood forward and eventually the pressure will tell. It's basically what Sheffield Utd did on Wednesday - they were constantly throwing numbers forward because they knew we weren't going to threaten them in their half of the pitch. 

We don't quite have the balance right yet - but the fact we are where we are in the table despite that is great, and if we're able to improve tactically then we could have a really good season. Mowbray's post-match comments suggest that we aren't playing the way he envisions, so it's obviously still a work in progress. Our final position in the table is largely going to depend on the manager being able to get it sorted.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

First thing I want to say chaddy is to reiterate, we were poor today performance wise but we won and thats what matters.

I felt that too many players were in blatantly unfamiliar performances. Dack and at times Graham wide, not looking comfortable. Bennett left wing back, didnt look right. Bolton were awful and to be honest I felt that got us the win. It wasnt a stroke of tactical genius for me as it didnt stem the tide, we barely had a kick second half.

Rodwell has to start again yeah, Im a bit concerned that Mowbray said post match that he sees him as a defender due to not playing that role regularly as a professional footballer. He suits that holding role.  

I said after the game we were poor didnt I? 

Sometimes players have to do what the team needs and adapt to the situation. Team is more important. 

I heard Mowbray's comments after the game about Rodwell. I can understand his points he made and thats could be why he has so many injuries. But Mowbray was open to looking at it and seeing where Rodwell wanting to play. 

3 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Rubbish.

They're all Lancashire, including the Manchester and Liverpool clubs. Each one is a local derby.

And while Lancaster might be the county town it's never been the "heart" of Lancashire

Absolutely right. The boundaries were changed in 73/74. Means nothing really regards county boundaries. Folk in Bolton, Manchester, Liverpool  etc are Lancastrians. Just not governed by LCC. As Blackpool and Blackburn aren't.  Lancashire pronounces boundaries on the exit roads from Blackburn

25 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Bolton is in greater Manchester. Simple as

Don't be such a cock. Simple as. Manchester is part of Lancashire. Greater Manchester is a Metropolitan Council not administered by LCC.  Look at your history books. Simple as.. Oh and Liverpool is not Lancashire?   Leeds is West Yorkshire not Yorkshire,? Do your homework first. Simple as

Edited by ossyian
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, FGS5635 said:

Big game this now. Win this well with that lineup and you can see a shift of philosophy and personnel.

I thought it went really well baring ten mins or so after we scored then he altered it and it almost turned to crap.

Anyway job done in the end great win and even greater to win there but they are poor make no mistake although they don't lack sheer graft to be fair. A second half change about like that would've seen us lose to a slightly better side i'd wager. 

Plenty of bottle. spirit and good defending though today which was good to see they stopped a few certain goals today that would have crept in on another.

3 hours ago, DE. said:

He's spot on and I'm glad he isn't coming out and saying he's happy with that performance. Three points is great but we need to be much better than that. The mentality after we scored our goal was all wrong. It obviously wasn't the plan, 

It all too often happens though so you wonder if it  is the plan. The selections and substitutions often seem part of that same plan.

2 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Are there modern equivalents of Glenn Keeley or Derek Fazackerley out there in the lower leagues ? Add those 2 to this team and we'd be up near the top

Brentford have a couple of superb centre-backs,both 20 years old. and look real class. They won't be there long. A bit more cultured than our two you mentioned though!

7 minutes ago, 47er said:

Brentford have a couple of superb centre-backs,both 20 years old. and look real class. They won't be there long. A bit more cultured than our two you mentioned though!

If it was two of those playing today against Sky Sports United, they did look decent

OK, so now we've reached the second international break let's take a step back and take stock.

If the aim is survival, we're on track. If the aim is championship consolidation, we're on track. If the aim is reaching the playoffs, we're on track. If the aim is outright promotion, we're in a decent position from which to attack.

Let that sink in. A year ago, none of us would have dared believe we'd be in this position, so I think we can be v pleased with where we are.

Do we deserve it? Overall yes, absolutely. We got lucky today to some extent but that cancels out one of the 93rd minute minor disasters. If we'd beaten Ipswich but drawn today, we'd be in exactly the same position but would the sentiment from so many be so underwhelming? I doubt it!

It's worth noting Wigan got stuffed 4-0 at bottom 3 side Preston today. Bottom 3 side Ipswich won at Swansea. Stoke won at Norwich. There's no easy or predictable games in this league!!

Grinding out unconvincing points is a cornerstone to any team's success... Are we perfect? Hell no; we got a mauling on Weds night - but then Sheff Utd now sit pretty at the top. We're work in progress, building a team ethos to go with the spirit. TM knows this, and his post match comments show he's not resting on his laurels or taking anything for granted.

I remain really excited about what this group can achieve with proper guidance, support & time; if we're in this position now with all the uncertainty / rough edges about players like Raya, Lenihan, Williams, Nyambe, Rodwell, Smallwood, Evans, Armstrong, Brereton, think what Rovers could be like in a few months' time once they have another 20 or so games under their collective belts...

Roll on Leeds!!!!! 

• Like 7

Glass half full kind of guy. Saw the game and we rode our luck a bit.

Still three points against a local team away from home feels like an enormous gift. A bit like a home made pork pie hand delivered to America 

Lucky Rovers shirt and bracelet working great after a wobble mid week  

20 minutes ago, Atko's Engine said:

OK, so now we've reached the second international break let's take a step back and take stock.

If the aim is survival, we're on track. If the aim is championship consolidation, we're on track. If the aim is reaching the playoffs, we're on track. If the aim is outright promotion, we're in a decent position from which to attack.

Let that sink in. A year ago, none of us would have dared believe we'd be in this position, so I think we can be v pleased with where we are.

Do we deserve it? Overall yes, absolutely. We got lucky today to some extent but that cancels out one of the 93rd minute minor disasters. If we'd beaten Ipswich but drawn today, we'd be in exactly the same position but would the sentiment from so many be so underwhelming? I doubt it!

It's worth noting Wigan got stuffed 4-0 at bottom 3 side Preston today. Bottom 3 side Ipswich won at Swansea. Stoke won at Norwich. There's no easy or predictable games in this league!!

Grinding out unconvincing points is a cornerstone to any team's success... Are we perfect? Hell no; we got a mauling on Weds night - but then Sheff Utd now sit pretty at the top. We're work in progress, building a team ethos to go with the spirit. TM knows this, and his post match comments show he's not resting on his laurels or taking anything for granted.

I remain really excited about what this group can achieve with proper guidance, support & time; if we're in this position now with all the uncertainty / rough edges about players like Raya, Lenihan, Williams, Nyambe, Rodwell, Smallwood, Evans, Armstrong, Brereton, think what Rovers could be like in a few months' time once they have another 20 or so games under their collective belts...

Roll on Leeds!!!!! 

Excellent post. 

Fantastic 3 points after getting thumped on Wednesday. Not surprised to see Sheff Utd top of the league, they were outstanding, thankfully there are some bog standard teams in this league. Bolton being one of them.

I thought the team sheet was excellent and kudos to Tony for freshening up the side.

Loved seeing Palmer and Rothwell in the team in the wide spots, we looked much more dangerous with the ball, especially in  first 30mins.

Benno did okay today

Lenihan had his best game of the season for me.

Mulgrew strolled it as usual.

Williams was okay, back to Bell for me, as he has a bit more energy to support.

Rodwell was good early and then faded. Nice to see someone actually winning a header in our central Midfield for once. He is gonna be a big player for us once he gets up to speed.

Reed was better than Wedenesday for me, albeit with a few wasted passes. 

Palmer showed his quality in spurts, pleased to see him back involved.

Rothwell, what a player we have here, fantastic technique throughout. Saw a bit of everything today. Needs to keep his place in the team.

Dack was poor to be honest but he is like a old fashion number 9, you fancy him to score.

Graham wasn’t great either.

Evans was dreadful when he came on, he couldn’t run, what was wrong with him? He wasn’t sprinting at all. Moody being on the bench??

Smallwood did okay and needs to get cozy  on the bench, have no issues Tony tighning up a game by bringing him on.

Edited by Fraserkirky
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, AdamRochina said:

appalling performance, we are better then this, much better, mowbray far far to negative, going 1 up and then sitting on it for the rest of the game isnt what we should be doing as before the goal we looked fluid we looked a threat, rothwell and rodwell looked great and with reed mopping up we looked very solid, then we score and its just constant panic stations sitting back and last ditch defending, we made a shite bolton look pretty good,  pleased with the points and pleased with how hard rovers work but we cant keep going ultra defensive it will hurt us more then it will work

Hated it too like we flipped a switch we were so much better than them and we stopped.  Not enough blood pressure medicine in my cabinet to get me through another one of those.  I could see if they were much the better team and we were.hanging in but bliody hell when we scored I thought we might go on to a comfortable win.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

very happy to get the 3 points and a clean sheet. 

I felt the first 25/30 minutes we were very good and Rothwell very involved. Then we stopped playing and we were lucky first half not to be level with Bolton at half time. 

I disagree with us going 3 at the back at half time but looking back it really work well and stop them dominated us in the air. Rothwell and Rodwell going off I was surprise at but understand why Evans and Smallwood came on to make us more solid. I think we will start to see 3 at the back abit more to keep clean sheets and keep points on the board against teams who play very direct style

Thought Mulgrew was outstanding at the back and so pleased he is back.

This performance was about being defensive solid and full and grit and determination. Going forward was were very poor and very surprise after our start to the game. Our attacking play and passing need improve and was pleased to see Mowbray says this after the game.

officials were excellent today apart for them missing Wheater high challenge

Inthought it was more about bottling it and inexplicably becoming nervous and unable to move forward with more than one pass.  Painful very painful, to me it was not like we had them in our pocket and they would never score was more like we were.all at sea.and hoe the hell did they.not get something. That said 7 hours later and the nerves, heartrate, blood pressure and anger all subsiding to normal I am now sporting a wry grin and chuffed to bits at the three points.  Bit of a make up from having the 4 points stolen by Ipswich and Villa.  There is some potential in that starting line up.

6 hours ago, AAK said:

Chaddy doesn't do reality when it comes to rovers. 

He loves his Rovers, he enjoys his football, power to him.  I don't do reality either if I did I would not continue to put myself thru this shit over 50 years, there has to be something wrong with me.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Are there modern equivalents of Glenn Keeley or Derek Fazackerley out there in the lower leagues ? Add those 2 to this team and we'd be up near the top

Nah, in this day and age Keeley would never stay on the pitch for 90 minutes.  Always loved Faz, steady.

Gritty win.  Sometime we win pretty, some times we lose when playing tremendous football, today we dug deep and held on for a massive victory which can give us some reason for optimisim.  However, with a few days to rest and recover, Mowbray needs to tweak is version of 3 at the back, as its yet to reap any benefits, and please, somehow find away to shut out games...  the final 15 minutes in the past few games have been terrible for my nerves.  Besides, that Rothwell and Rodwell offered something new in the center of midfield, which I found refreshing.  And Reed, keeps on delivering. 

• Like 4