BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Bolton vs Rovers

AAK

3 hours ago, ossyian said:

Don't be such a cock. Simple as. Manchester is part of Lancashire. Greater Manchester is a Metropolitan Council not administered by LCC.  Look at your history books. Simple as.. Oh and Liverpool is not Lancashire?   Leeds is West Yorkshire not Yorkshire,? Do your homework first. Simple as

As a Manc is he a Lancastrian or a Manc. Pound to a penny he’s a Manc first and has always been.

Bolton don’t even see Rovers as a rival they’ve traditionally viewed their derbies as Manchester United and Bury.

Edited by Scotland1

5 hours ago, Atko's Engine said:

OK, so now we've reached the second international break let's take a step back and take stock.

If the aim is survival, we're on track. If the aim is championship consolidation, we're on track. If the aim is reaching the playoffs, we're on track. If the aim is outright promotion, we're in a decent position from which to attack.

Let that sink in. A year ago, none of us would have dared believe we'd be in this position, so I think we can be v pleased with where we are.

Do we deserve it? Overall yes, absolutely. We got lucky today to some extent but that cancels out one of the 93rd minute minor disasters. If we'd beaten Ipswich but drawn today, we'd be in exactly the same position but would the sentiment from so many be so underwhelming? I doubt it!

It's worth noting Wigan got stuffed 4-0 at bottom 3 side Preston today. Bottom 3 side Ipswich won at Swansea. Stoke won at Norwich. There's no easy or predictable games in this league!!

Grinding out unconvincing points is a cornerstone to any team's success... Are we perfect? Hell no; we got a mauling on Weds night - but then Sheff Utd now sit pretty at the top. We're work in progress, building a team ethos to go with the spirit. TM knows this, and his post match comments show he's not resting on his laurels or taking anything for granted.

I remain really excited about what this group can achieve with proper guidance, support & time; if we're in this position now with all the uncertainty / rough edges about players like Raya, Lenihan, Williams, Nyambe, Rodwell, Smallwood, Evans, Armstrong, Brereton, think what Rovers could be like in a few months' time once they have another 20 or so games under their collective belts...

Roll on Leeds!!!!! 

Great post. Let's not forget Davenport when he is fit.

Got the feeling that yesterday's win is massive in the context of this season and Rovers growth and development.

We should believe in ourselves more and our ability to close out games.

Bolton coming back into it was down to our failings, particularly our passing fell to pieces after we had scored letting them back into it. But we were always comfortably the better team and I never felt they carried the threat to draw level let alone beat us after the two saves from Raya in the first half.

In a league where any club can beat any club (you missed off Millwall beating Villa), having a manager who really studies the opposition and picks an eleven to beat the club we are facing is going to be worth perhaps ten points over the season. I really liked him putting Rothwell and Rodwell together then swapping them out together for Evans and Smallwood.

Clubs which go up have players who are different class in their side or are brilliant as a unit. Rovers are progressing towards both goals far faster than we could ever have imagined. Different class now: Raya, Dack and different class dulled by age: Mulgrew and Graham. Could get to different class very soon: Nyambe and Rodwell.

All the way through the game I kept thinking I'd love to see Harry Chapman running at Bolton and tieing up two of their players on him. Yes we need a beast at the back but having a Chapman whose pace terrifies the opposition is needed as well. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, ossyian said:

Don't be such a cock. Simple as. Manchester is part of Lancashire. Greater Manchester is a Metropolitan Council not administered by LCC.  Look at your history books. Simple as.. Oh and Liverpool is not Lancashire?   Leeds is West Yorkshire not Yorkshire,? Do your homework first. Simple as

Sorry pal but Manchester isnt Lancashire. I couldnt give a toss about whether its a Metropolitan council or not it aint in Lancashire on currents maps. FACT!

Liverpool is Merseyside not Lancashire. Look at a map..

But in all honest does it really matter. We got the points and are 9th. Yes 9th. Only outside top 6 on goals difference. Surely we would have all taken this before the season started? 

27 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Sorry pal but Manchester isnt Lancashire. I couldnt give a toss about whether its a Metropolitan council or not it aint in Lancashire on currents maps. FACT!

Liverpool is Merseyside not Lancashire. Look at a map..

But in all honest does it really matter. We got the points and are 9th. Yes 9th. Only outside top 6 on goals difference. Surely we would have all taken this before the season started? 

Sorry pal but you're wrong again as usual. But hey ho nothing new. FACT

Edited by ossyian
More info

4 hours ago, Scotland1 said:

As a Manc is he a Lancastrian or a Manc. Pound to a penny he’s a Manc first and has always been.

Bolton don’t even see Rovers as a rival they’ve traditionally viewed their derbies as Manchester United and Bury.

A manc is a citizen of manchester and Lancastrian. I am from Ossy so am a gobbiner and Lancastrian. Bolton folk are not mancs - they are Boltonians and Lancastrian. By your deluded logic Blackburn is not in Lancashire

• Like 1

There’s a difference between a metropolitan/ ceremonial county - Greater Manchester being one and the historical counties like the Lancashire county Palatine that covers the land from the Furness to the River Mersey that still exist.

Just surprises me that so many Lancastrians want to do down and reduce their historical county with a thousand years of civic pride and history. Perhaps just ignorance.

I’m hopeful that one day its boundaries will be properly restored - like the East Riding of Yorkshire was when ‘Humberside’ was abolished.

www.forl.co.uk

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Scotland1 said:

They did do, Rovers very important to them these days, possibly because the other two have gone in totally different directions from them.

Their forums are full of ‘inbreds’, ‘Dingles’, ‘HATE those Bastards’ etc. 

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 1

Second half I don't remember feeling overly concerned - it wasn't like they were creating chance after chance. First half after we scored - they had some reasonable chances - but at least it gave Raya a chance to shine on Telly ?

I know we are getting some stick for sitting back after we scored - but this happens time and time again for most teams. How many times have Rovers been under the cosh - the opposition scores and then suddenly we look a different team as they sit back.

There were some interesting tactical changes during the match - interesting to see Palmer playing further forward with Dack seeming to drop more into centre midfield at times during the second half. 

Delighted with the three points but I dont think the change to three at the back did us any favours as I said on here during the match.

We’ve tried playing it before and it’s my view that it just doesn’t work for us. We started last season with it, lost the first two games and then we’re forced to switch back to a flat back 4. It’s a formation the players seem more comfortable with. I’m not a fan of changing formation mid way through a game unless something major changes and you are chasing a win.

I don’t think yesterday needed a change as we were comfortable for the first 20 minutes. I would assume that the players trained on the basis of playing the formation that we started the game with hence why we maybe didn’t look as good after the change.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

White army weren't happy outside were they? ?

Best thing to come out of that game for me is the glimpses of the Rodwell that got an England call up, he looked a class above then seemingly tired. We have a potential worldie

Agree, my worry is someone else will be in his ear sooner then later - need to tie him to a longer contract.

The change to three at the back reduced the effect that Bolton's forward had in the air by him targeting Bennett in the first half. From 60 mins there was an element of bus parking think Tony has some Italian blood in him old school defend the 1-0

2 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

Agree, my worry is someone else will be in his ear sooner then later - need to tie him to a longer contract.

Depends on how much he appreciates TM for the chance he's given him, personally I think he'll show massive loyalty to him now if he revives a dead career

19 minutes ago, Ricky said:

Delighted with the three points but I dont think the change to three at the back did us any favours as I said on here during the match.

We’ve tried playing it before and it’s my view that it just doesn’t work for us. We started last season with it, lost the first two games and then we’re forced to switch back to a flat back 4. It’s a formation the players seem more comfortable with. I’m not a fan of changing formation mid way through a game unless something major changes and you are chasing a win.

I don’t think yesterday needed a change as we were comfortable for the first 20 minutes. I would assume that the players trained on the basis of playing the formation that we started the game with hence why we maybe didn’t look as good after the change.

We played them of the park for the first 20 minutes, they couldn't get a sniff of the ball and all he play was in their half!

Then we scored! Absolutely ludicrous that it all starts to go wrong when we take the lead!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

Depends on how much he appreciates TM for the chance he's given him, personally I think he'll show massive loyalty to him now if he revives a dead career

Yes,fooballers are renowned for their gratitude! :(

• Like 1

9 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

First thing I want to say chaddy is to reiterate, we were poor today performance wise but we won and thats what matters.

I felt that too many players were in blatantly unfamiliar performances. Dack and at times Graham wide, not looking comfortable. Bennett left wing back, didnt look right. Bolton were awful and to be honest I felt that got us the win. It wasnt a stroke of tactical genius for me as it didnt stem the tide, we barely had a kick second half.

Rodwell has to start again yeah, Im a bit concerned that Mowbray said post match that he sees him as a defender due to not playing that role regularly as a professional footballer. He suits that holding role.  

I didn't see the game but did Bennett really  left wing back ? My paper has him down at right back.

• Like 1