BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Bolton vs Rovers

AAK

12 minutes ago, yeti-dog said:

Of course we have no right but what I take issue with is that we're often too timid once in front and fail to intimidate and impose ourselves on opponents we're very capable of beating.

You have to earn the right to beat any team but my preferred way isn't to score one goal and then shut up shop - it's to get in front and then go looking for further goals to twist the knife in. 

Like we did at Stoke where we ended up even luckier to get a win. Team shape and tactics are a balancing act.

4 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Sorry pal but Manchester isnt Lancashire. I couldnt give a toss about whether its a Metropolitan council or not it aint in Lancashire on currents maps. FACT!

Liverpool is Merseyside not Lancashire. Look at a map..

But in all honest does it really matter. We got the points and are 9th. Yes 9th. Only outside top 6 on goals difference. Surely we would have all taken this before the season started? 

Hmmmmmmmm.

I think that perhaps you mean you don’t understand the difference between a location that lies in an administrative centre, a location that lies in a historical county, or a location that lies in both. I think perhaps that is the real reason you “couldn’t give a toss” about it.

Personally, I struggle sometimes a bit with string theory, but I think it would foolhardy of me to consequently conclude that it is therefore rubbish or that it’s implications are something that “I couldn’t give a toss about”.

The borders of Lancashire County Council do not represent the borders of the true County of Lancashire. That is a fact by the way, not opinion and there is a difference.

4 hours ago, ossyian said:

A manc is a citizen of manchester and Lancastrian. I am from Ossy so am a gobbiner and Lancastrian. Bolton folk are not mancs - they are Boltonians and Lancastrian. By your deluded logic Blackburn is not in Lancashire

I occasionally visit Gobbiners cafe and wondered where the name came from, could you explain its origins please pal?

1 hour ago, jim mk2 said:

Evidence yet again that Mowbray overthinks and tinkers too much.

It must be confusing for the players and it certainly didn't make any sense yesterday

Hasn't he heard of the phrase "if it ain't broke don't fix it"? 

I don’t agree there jim (not entirely anyway!) He also said that he worked through the problems with input from the players. This is one of the reasons why there is such a great team spirit......and why Mowbray has brought some well deserved enjoyment to the fans......first time for years.

As for the tinkering.......mmmmm........maybe......a bit........but most of the players haven’t done enough to cement a regular place. too many inconsistent performances. I don’t think many were expecting the spanking we got from Sheffield.

Certain starters for me would include:

Raya, Mulgrew, Williams, Lenihan, Dack, Graham, Bennett ......not far away would be Evans and Rothwell.

The rest haven’t convinced me. All in IMHO of course.

1 hour ago, Neal said:

I think we flattered Bolton in the 2nd half, their fans will be walking away from that thinking they're not that bad, when in fact we made them look a lot better than what they actually are... A poor side who have everything against a better side who performed poorly but still lost. I'm not too concerned about how we performed 2nd half because I've seen us play better when in front and and walk away winless. Sometimes you just have to grind it out. We will play better and win this season but I think that will only start to happen when TM knows what his best 11 is... One thing is for sure, it will be an 11 with Joe Rothwell in it, that lad is absolutely class, love watching him play. We should easily finish mid table, Bolton are relegation material, what do you expect with Jason Lowe in centre mid? He was absolutely chit by the way, first time I've ever enjoyed watching him try and pass the ball.

You're confident if you expect Tony to know his best side anytime soon.  Seeing a side where everyone is playing in their best position will do for a start.

Agree about Rothwell, does Tony?

We celebrate the win but we know it could have been so much better.

28 minutes ago, rigger said:

Like we did at Stoke where we ended up even luckier to get a win. Team shape and tactics are a balancing act.

Yes, we came within a gnat's balls of drawing that game from 3-0 up!

How can we possibly expect to hold on to a 1-0 lead for 65 minutes? As it was we came within inches of yet another debacle.

1 hour ago, jim mk2 said:

Evidence yet again that Mowbray overthinks and tinkers too much.

It must be confusing for the players and it certainly didn't make any sense yesterday

Hasn't he heard of the phrase "if it ain't broke don't fix it"? 

Or the players are able to adapt to what Mowbray wants and understand what he demands.

Every players has to buy into what Mowbray wants otherwise they dont play and sit on bench with Mowbray has the Sky Sports commentator said yesterday. 

Having a manager who explained his thinking every time to the press and the fans it should be endorsed as he is so open and honest. Its a great houour to have a manager like this and that care so much about the club and the fans. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blueboy3333 said:

Bolton aren't a 'good' side. Burnley aren't a 'good' side. But those teams and their managers win games because they play in a way that gives the opposition problems. 

Picking fault with a win and a clean sheet at a place we haven't won in a decade it's frankly a bit churlish. 

If anyone thinks we are going to play teams like Bolton off the park just because we have a loanee from Chelsea and Soton, a free from Sunderland and a free from Oxford is deluded. We aren't a great team who are going to pass the ball around for fun. We are doing well to be on 18 points. 

The Championship is a very competitive division.  At home to Sheff Utd we didn't compete and got everything we deserved (as did the players who were dropped). Yesterday the players gave it everything and got the win their resolve and determination merited. 

Speaking of the Straw Man, I've not read one post which doubts that the players gave everything.

1 minute ago, blueboy3333 said:

Can someone put this guy out of his misery and tell him the final score.

Ha! Look again! I wrote "we can't EXPECT to hold on to a 1-0 lead for 65 minutes"! Quite different eh? Based on our experiences this season, and last, we cannot expect to hold on to a narrow lead can we? Or do we not concede a lot of late goals after all?

Clearly you have misunderstood my post!

19 minutes ago, 47er said:

Yes, we came within a gnat's balls of drawing that game from 3-0 up!

How can we possibly expect to hold on to a 1-0 lead for 65 minutes? As it was we came within inches of yet another debacle.

You cannot expect to hold a lead for 1 minute, but you can organise to protect your goal for as long as is required. It all depends on how the manager thinks this is best achieved, with what he has got available.

• Like 1

Delighted with the win, important that we got the 3 points before the break after dropping points at home. Always satisfying to beat them. 

I still long for the day we can relax in the last ten minutes and comfortably see a win out, I know it's easier said than done but for whatever reason we seem to find a way to do it the hard way and it is really difficult to watch at times.

Fine margins. That offside flag not raised and penalty scored and the performance and result very disappointing but in hanging on for all 3 points it's happy days. Comprehensively outplayed by Sheffield United and not good at Bolton yet 3 points from 6. Snatch a draw from Sheffield and concede that penalty yesterday and it's 2 points from 6 but we might have felt better about the performances.

I'd have given Raya or Reed MOTM personally, seems Sky default setting is to award it to the goalscorer.

5 hours ago, ossyian said:

A manc is a citizen of manchester and Lancastrian. I am from Ossy so am a gobbiner and Lancastrian. Bolton folk are not mancs - they are Boltonians and Lancastrian. By your deluded logic Blackburn is not in Lancashire

Nailed it.

10 hours ago, Scotland1 said:

As a Manc is he a Lancastrian or a Manc. Pound to a penny he’s a Manc first and has always been.

Bolton don’t even see Rovers as a rival they’ve traditionally viewed their derbies as Manchester United and Bury.

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/11034440.vote-who-are-bolton-wanderers-biggest-local-rivals/

I know a few and they all class us as their big local rival.

Plus go and  ask someone from Bolton if they are a Manc or a Lancastrian and see what reply you get.

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 2