BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Bolton vs Rovers

AAK

58 minutes ago, 47er said:

You're confident if you expect Tony to know his best side anytime soon.  Seeing a side where everyone is playing in their best position will do for a start.

Agree about Rothwell, does Tony?

We celebrate the win but we know it could have been so much better.

A bit glass half empty maybe? You get no extra points for playing well, although it is better to watch.

I think not knowing his best 11 could, in some way, be a positive thing at times because it keeps people competitive and perhaps, due to the amount of options we have. It's going to be difficult for TM to pick his best 11 but it would be good to know what the spine of the team is going to be consistently. The only 100% starters at the moment seem to be Raya, Mulgrew, Lennihan, Nyambe, Dack, Graham... Leaving the rest to fight it out. So looking at it i'd suggest it's more accurate to say that he doesn't know what his best midfield is, considering that is where most games are won and lost it's something he needs to work out soon if we want to be more consistent. I'd be building that midfield around Joe Rothwell, he's definately the one that could fill that void of ball playing class that we've lacked since Cairney left.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Neal said:

A bit glass half empty maybe? You get no extra points for playing well, although it is better to watch.

I think not knowing his best 11 could, in some way, be a positive thing at times because it keeps people competitive and perhaps, due to the amount of options we have. It's going to be difficult for TM to pick his best 11 but it would be good to know what the spine of the team is going to be consistently. The only 100% starters at the moment seem to be Raya, Mulgrew, Lennihan, Nyambe, Dack, Graham... Leaving the rest to fight it out. So looking at it i'd suggest it's more accurate to say that he doesn't know what his best midfield is, considering that is where most games are won and lost it's something he needs to work out soon if we want to be more consistent. I'd be building that midfield around Joe Rothwell, he's definately the one that could fill that void of ball playing class that we've lacked since Cairney left.

There was a stat given out on  radio lancs on Wednesday night which was along the lines Smallwood had started 50+ games in succession he was available for don't know if that is correct but his appearance on the bench last night was quite a statement from TM about a player who had previously been a 100% starter

Just now, Rogerb said:

There was a stat given out on  radio lancs on Wednesday night which was along the lines Smallwood had started 50+ games in succession he was available for don't know if that is correct but his appearance on the bench last night was quite a statement from TM about a player who had previously been a 100% starter

Yesterday was the first league game he hasn't started since he signed. 

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/16966270.bolton-wanderers-0-blackburn-rovers-1-talking-points/?ref=mac

Just now, Rogerb said:

I think we'll start to see Smallwood used more like this from now on. I've not really liked the stick he's taken this season but I can see why people grew frustrated, he's a limited player but his ability to tackle and press will be valuable as a squad player when we're trying to see games out. Going forward, we have players with more ability that will fit Mowbray's vision of playing possession football. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 47er said:

How can we possibly expect to hold on to a 1-0 lead for 65 minutes? As it was we came within inches of yet another debacle.

Your favourite manager and mine used to adopt that approach week in week out and failed away from home almost every match we played.

You loved that approach then 47er? 

It was a very good 3 points at a ground where we don't usually come away with anything, just enjoy the win and bragging rights.

Edited by Gav

What do people think of our recent corners?

Rothwell seemed to take a few yesterday but his were equally as ineffective as Reeds poor corners of recent times, floated ones that dont really lead to goalscoring opportunities.

Mulgrews our best taker but we could do with him in the box. So surely Dack should take them? Feel like at the moment a corner isnt a goal threat for us and it does need to be.

8 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Rothwell seemed to take a few yesterday but his were equally as ineffective as Reeds poor corners of recent times, floated ones that dont really lead to goalscoring opportunities.

Mulgrews our best taker but we could do with him in the box. So surely Dack should take them? Feel like at the moment a corner isnt a goal threat for us and it does need to be.

Bennett either 

10 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Dack corners arent any better tbh. 

If Rothwell stays in the team then I would him on them. He has the techique tbh

9 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Not so sure about Dack taking corners because imo if anything in the box becomes loose, Dack is the one who will react.  Agree however our corners are poor.

Off topic, I see Nixon is trying to sell Dack again.  Would it be possible for Chaddy to have a word with his mate informing him to get stuffed! 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Dack corners arent any better tbh. 

If Rothwell stays in the team then I would him on them. He has the techique tbh

Corner taking is a specific skill. Rothwells corners yesterday were really poor, floated corners are easy to defend against and hard to attack, good corners are whipped in.

Dack whips his corners so they are more dangerous. I dont feel we are anywhere near dangerous enough from corners, we do have a smallish team so floated corners like Reed and Rothwell have been doing provide zero threat. That needs to change, we had the 4th least shots on targets going into yesterdays game so we have to maximise our goalscoring opportunities through alternative means too.

4 minutes ago, 4000Holes said:

Not so sure about Dack taking corners because imo if anything in the box becomes loose, Dack is the one who will react.  Agree however our corners are poor.

Off topic, I see Nixon is trying to sell Dack again.  Would it be possible for Chaddy to have a word with his mate informing him to get stuffed! 

I get what you are saying and my mate said the same, he is a predator but its one of them for me. He wont be a threat from them anyway if the actual deliveries are as poor as the ones that Reed and Rothwell provided in recent weeks. 

27 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Corner taking is a specific skill. Rothwells corners yesterday were really poor, floated corners are easy to defend against and hard to attack, good corners are whipped in.

Dack whips his corners so they are more dangerous. I dont feel we are anywhere near dangerous enough from corners, we do have a smallish team so floated corners like Reed and Rothwell have been doing provide zero threat. That needs to change, we had the 4th least shots on targets going into yesterdays game so we have to maximise our goalscoring opportunities through alternative means too.

I get what you are saying and my mate said the same, he is a predator but its one of them for me. He wont be a threat from them anyway if the actual deliveries are as poor as the ones that Reed and Rothwell provided in recent weeks. 

Some times a floated corner dropping from high at the near post is actually hard to defend as the defender has to generate all the power to get the ball away to a safe distance or position. A good corner is one you score off.

29 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

The player to whipped them is Mulgrew who I let take them from the right and Rothwell from left. I want Dack in the box. Next to the keeper

Dack corners are poor. 

4 minutes ago, rigger said:

Some times a floated corner dropping from high at the near post is actually hard to defend as the defender has to generate all the power to get the ball away to a safe distance or position. A good corner is one you score off.

Agreed with that. But I dont think our corners have been good this season. In fact the only one I remember us scoring was Mulgrew, literally directly from the corner! Total fluke.

I am not sure if Reed and Rothwell have taken corners at previous clubs but the way that they have been taking them for us suggests that they arent their strong suits.

4 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

The player to whipped them is Mulgrew who I let take them from the right and Rothwell from left. I want Dack in the box. Next to the keeper

Dack corners are poor. 

Why Rothwell though, dont you agree that our corners were poor again yesterday? 

Mulgrew needs to be in the box really but in the absence of alternatives, he may be needed to take them. 

4 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Why Rothwell though, dont you agree that our corners were poor again yesterday? 

Mulgrew needs to be in the box really but in the absence of alternatives, he may be needed to take them. 

Our corners havent be good enough all season whether it been Dack, Smallwood, Reed, Rothwell, Mugrew, etc. 

I would keep Rothwell/Mulgrew on there and work on them more..

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Our corners havent be good enough all season whether it been Dack, Smallwood, Reed, Rothwell, Mugrew, etc. 

I would keep Rothwell/Mulgrew on there and work on them more..

Rothwell is not a regular though, he wouldnt be my choice of corner taker anyway but we will need someone in his absence.

Personally I didnt think he was particularly good yesterday, the midfield did look like one that hadnt played together before, as much as it was 

I would bring in Evans alongside Rodwell against Leeds as we will need more control in there. Palmer I would keep in as he showed his magic for the goal with a wonderful bit of individual brilliance that ultimately won the game. Therefore, Rothwell would revert back to his role of sub.

We need to be a bit cuter with our corners. There's no point floating them in hoping for the best because we don't have anybody who can really attack them. 

We had a bit of success last season with near post corners that get flicked on or headed straight in. Mulgrew scored one at Blackpool waiting on the back post after a flick on (and another somewhere else that escapes me)  and Antonnson stuck one straight in attacking the near post at the DE. This season Mulgrew has scored direct curling it near post.

If we are no good at taking and converting conventional corners, I would suggest we use short corners and try to commit defenders into a position where they are not happy. A few times yesterday from open play promising positions where gained by committing and beating defenders wide on their goal-line. Dack in particular with his quick feet is very good at this. 

• Like 1

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

We need to be a bit cuter with our corners. There's no point floating them in hoping for the best because we don't have anybody who can really attack them. 

We had a bit of success last season with near post corners that get flicked on or headed straight in. Mulgrew scored one at Blackpool waiting on the back post after a flick on (and another somewhere else that escapes me)  and Antonnson stuck one straight in attacking the near post at the DE. This season Mulgrew has scored direct curling it near post.

Wasnt it Downing that scored at Blackpool? Recall one at Peterborough and one I think at Oxford from corners in the way you describe. From Dack corners I think, scored by Mulgrew.

9 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Wasnt it Downing that scored at Blackpool?

Just checked and it was Downing from a far-post corner headed back by Mulgrew. But apart from that...?

It must have been the games you mention. But it definitely happened at least once!!

Edit - One was at Oxford.

Edited by blueboy3333

12 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Rothwell is not a regular though, he wouldnt be my choice of corner taker anyway but we will need someone in his absence.

Personally I didnt think he was particularly good yesterday, the midfield did look like one that hadnt played together before, as much as it was 

I would bring in Evans alongside Rodwell against Leeds as we will need more control in there. Palmer I would keep in as he showed his magic for the goal with a wonderful bit of individual brilliance that ultimately won the game. Therefore, Rothwell would revert back to his role of sub.

Rothwell would start the next game for me. One of best player yesterday in the 1st 30 minutes. And take the corners. 

Not thought about Leeds game as it nearly 2 weeks to go. 

The only way the midfield will gel is by playing every week together

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

And Rothwell didn't show magic for the goal?Was a lovely pass.

Completely disagree with you on this one if a choice betweem Palmer or Rothwell then id pick Rothwell every week.Palmer has a bit of magic but find Rothwell much more dynamic and more busy 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, islander200 said:

And Rothwell didn't show magic for the goal?Was a lovely pass.

Completely disagree with you on this one if a choice betweem Palmer or Rothwell then id pick Rothwell every week.Palmer has a bit of magic but find Rothwell much more dynamic and more busy 

Yeah it was great by a few players, the first time touch by Rothwell, the run by Reed and the predatory instinct of Dack. A great goal amidst an otherwise turgid game. For me Palmer deserves the most praise for it.

Dont think either have put it together over the course of a game so its a close call. Palmer more of a goal threat which we lack at times.