BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Bolton vs Rovers

AAK

4 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Yeah it was great by a few players, the first time touch by Rothwell, the run by Reed and the predatory instinct of Dack. A great goal amidst an otherwise turgid game. For me Palmer deserves the most praise for it.

Dont think either have put it together over the course of a game so its a close call. Palmer more of a goal threat which we lack at times.

Yeah it was a lovely goal and it was great play by Palmer, i just prefer Rothwell from what I'v seen of them both.

Tough 3 games coming up 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blueboy3333 said:

We need to be a bit cuter with our corners. There's no point floating them in hoping for the best because we don't have anybody who can really attack them. 

We had a bit of success last season with near post corners that get flicked on or headed straight in. Mulgrew scored one at Blackpool waiting on the back post after a flick on (and another somewhere else that escapes me)  and Antonnson stuck one straight in attacking the near post at the DE. This season Mulgrew has scored direct curling it near post.

Erm that slightly important goal that got us promoted at Donny was a corner too

• Like 3

18 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Bolton is in greater Manchester. Simple as

Great win for Rovers in a good old fashioned LANCASHIRE derby, with 2 founder members of the football league who proudly sport the red rose on their respective badges. I couldn’t go yesterday, watched on sky and it was great to hear the presenters and commentators refer to it as a lancs derby on numerous occasions.

I’ve read the thread from start to finish - 2 points I want to make:

a) you are misinformed. The traditional Lancashire boundary which is 800 years old and includes Manchester, Bolton etc has never been abolished. It is still in existence and the traditional counties are recognised in recent legislation. So people from Bolton can correctly refer to themselves as Lancastrian.

The Lancashire county council area and Greater Manchester are only administrative “counties”. In laymen’s terms they are just administrative areas and not real counties. Hence when you drive out of Blackburn into Hyndburn you pass a sign saying ‘Welcome to Lancashire.’

b) I presume you are local? As Mattyblue has already said - why would you seek to diminish Lancashire? Why not embrace the whole County palatine? I know people who live in places like Bolton and Salford through following Lancs cricket and Salford Red Devils who can’t stand being associated with Greater Manchester and are proud Lancastrians. Again why would you be against this?

Sorry to divert this thread but I am proud Lancastrian and feel strongly about this issue. 

• Like 9

• J*B unpinned this topic

Any win away from home is good but we were really poor after taking the lead against a very, very ordinary Championship outfit who we really should have put to the sword.

Mowbray again became negative with his puzzling tactics and substitutions almost costing us the game.

Rothwell looks very promising and was the one bright spark for me - Dack again too much on the periphery and I think we should be getting much more out of the lad.  Rodwell looked leggy to me and didn't show the athleticism of his early days.

A lot of work to be done and nowhere near good enough to think about top 6 in my opinion - with Dack in our team, we are a mid table outfit at best.

My Bolton friends were gutted about losing that one but at least had the consolation of me picking up the post match drinks' tab as is our tradition for the winner.

Edited by Mercer

1 hour ago, Mercer said:

Any win away from home is good but we were really poor after taking the lead against a very, very ordinary Championship outfit who we really should have put to the sword.

Mowbray again became negative with his puzzling tactics and substitutions almost costing us the game.

Rothwell looks very promising and was the one bright spark for me - Dack again too much on the periphery and I think we should be getting much more out of the lad.  Rodwell looked leggy to me and didn't show the athleticism of his early days.

A lot of work to be done and nowhere near good enough to think about top 6 in my opinion - with Dack in our team, we are a mid table outfit at best.

My Bolton friends were gutted about losing that one but at least had the consolation of me picking up the post match drinks' tab as is our tradition for the winner.

Mercer we have been outplayed in 2 games this season, Sheffield United and Derby every other match we have competed well.

Lets be realistic the club has not been run well for 7 years,we have just come up from league one and we are sitting 9th in the table on 18 points having played Brentford,Stoke,Derby,Nottingham forest,Villa and Sheffield United all teams you would have expected going into the season to be amongst the teams at the top.

I agree performance wise against Sheffield United and  yesterday  we sat back to much  but at end of day we kept a clean sheet.

We have a young team its been good start points wise and in a lot of the games we have been good. On Rodwell the athleticism might not be there but his passing was excellent.I watched it on the box and Mowbray was saying in the interview he see's him playing at the back long term ,i thought he was good in midfield until he ran out of steam 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Ricky said:

He’s scored 8 goals and had 5 assists in 10 games this season Mercer. How much more do you want out of him??

Much more! 

He's our one real bright spark and we have to get him far more involved in the the game.  Maybe he thinks he's done enough when he scores or chips in with an assist?  Contrast with the attitude of greats like Messi, Ronaldo etc, they have an insatiable appetite for more, more and more. 

5 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Much more! 

He's our one real bright spark and we have to get him far more involved in the the game.  Maybe he thinks he's done enough when he scores or chips in with an assist?  Contrast with the attitude of greats like Messi, Ronaldo etc, they have an insatiable appetite for more, more and more. 

I'd say playing a part in 13 goals in 10 games is getting more than involved in each game. ? 

20 hours ago, rigger said:

You cannot expect to hold a lead for 1 minute, but you can organise to protect your goal for as long as is required. It all depends on how the manager thinks this is best achieved, with what he has got available.

And we are good at that are we?

19 hours ago, Gav said:

Your favourite manager and mine used to adopt that approach week in week out and failed away from home almost every match we played.

You loved that approach then 47er? 

It was a very good 3 points at a ground where we don't usually come away with anything, just enjoy the win and bragging rights.

He won the home games though eh Gav?  ;)

19 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

I'd say playing a part in 13 goals in 10 games is getting more than involved in each game. ? 

Well I'm greedy. 

Just think the lad has much more to offer.  It's a two way thing.  Mowbray has to find a way of the team generally getting more out of Dack's skill and intelligence and Dack himself needs to challenge himself for more and not be satisfied with his usual goal / assist.

Edited by Mercer

On 07/10/2018 at 12:15, old darwen blue said:

I occasionally visit Gobbiners cafe and wondered where the name came from, could you explain its origins please pal?

If you were born higher up ossy than the lamp outside the library you were a gobbiner. Mainly coal miners. Bottom ossy was cotton

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ossyian said:

If you were born higher up ossy than the lamp outside the library you were a gobbiner. Mainly coal miners. Bottom ossy was cotton

Ah I see many thanks. You’d better not read this then, particularly the first meaning

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/gobbin

although you did say you were a gobbiner and not a gobbin!

I can remember my great grandmother call us gobbins when me and my brothers were being daft when we where very young. 

Edited by old darwen blue

On 10/10/2018 at 01:46, old darwen blue said:

Ah I see many thanks. You’d better not read this then, particularly the first meaning

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/gobbin

although you did say you were a gobbiner and not a gobbin!

I can remember my great grandmother call us gobbins when me and my brothers were being daft when we where very young. 

Ha ha. That's exactly why they were called gobbiners. The mill workers considered the miners uncouth and uneducated

• Like 1