BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Bolton vs Rovers

AAK

Just now, joey_big_nose said:

One thing out of that game : five different CMs played the role (Reed, Rothwell, Smallwood, Evans and Rodwell) who would you go for as the starting combo?

For me in order they are 

1) Reed (he's the best, pacy, strong in the tackle, good with the ball - why play him at RW/RWB??)

2) Evans - had a great start to the season and decent when he came on.

3) Rothwell (I would start him in the attacking three though not CM)

4) Rodwell - showed quite a bit of quality early on. Encouraging signs. Could become a first xi player soon, bit obviously needs fitness

5) Smallwood - I like his spirit, his character, but lacks the technical quality.

Evans and Reed for me too. Although a fit Rodwell could improve on both 

• Backroom

One thing out of that game : five different CMs played the role (Reed, Rothwell, Smallwood, Evans and Rodwell) who would you go for as the starting combo?

For me in order they are 

1) Reed (he's the best, pacy, strong in the tackle, good with the ball - why play him at RW/RWB??)

2) Evans - had a great start to the season and decent when he came on.

3) Rothwell (I would start him in the attacking three though not CM)

4) Rodwell - showed quite a bit of quality early on. Encouraging signs. Could become a first xi player soon, bit obviously needs fitness

5) Smallwood - I like his spirit, his character, but lacks the technical quality.

I think that's about right. Things don't always come off for Reed, but he's been involved in some good stuff. Evans is fine if he's got enough decent players around him. Rothwell is excellent but definitely an attacking option. Rodwell looks like he could be useful when properly fit, and Smallwood should be backup only at this juncture. He shouldn't be starting unless there are no other options.

Great first half, very poor second and whilst we just about got away with it courtesy of a linesman's flag, I have to say TM after getting it right by shaking up the starting line did his best to throw it away with the sunstitutions which merely invited pressure onto us.

Raya MOM for the second game in a row for me.

• Like 4

• Backroom
Just now, AllRoverAsia said:

He looks like a podgy country yokel ready for spud planting.

Got his usual yellow card for a stupid tackle as well. As usual had no positive impact on the game. I hope he stays with Bolton for a very long time.

These are the kinda results we’ve lacked in the championship in recent years, away from home, poor performance but able to nick a 1 nil win. We’re level with the playoffs which I think is about as good as anyone could have hoped for at this stage! Sure we could have had a couple of more points but we could have lost some too. When you look at the games we’ve had to play and the points we’ve managed to pick up it’s actually quite impressive.  Feel like this team is still developing and there’s a lot more to come. Onwards and upwards.

• Like 1

If we’d have conceded then TM would have been absolutely hammered on here and rightly so. Got away with that today. Obviously I’m delighted with the three points but jesus that second half performance was so negative. They say attack is the best form of defence, it’s something we should have done in that second half today. Like I said though, buzzing to get the win and to be level on points with 6th place is a cracking start. You blues. 

• Like 1

15,000 (about) for a Bolton v Rovers derby is very poor.Would have been 40,000 plus in the good old days.

Welcome 3 points but my goodness we were awful in the 2nd half.

We're an OK  mid-table side. The likes of Sheff Utd with their extra quality will beat us easily 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DE. said:

I think that's about right. Things don't always come off for Reed, but he's been involved in some good stuff. Evans is fine if he's got enough decent players around him. Rothwell is excellent but definitely an attacking option. Rodwell looks like he could be useful when properly fit, and Smallwood should be backup only at this juncture. He shouldn't be starting unless there are no other options.

I suspect Mowbray will really struggle to drop Smallwood. He likes his attitude too much. 

Our best team imo :

---------------------------Raya

Nyambe----Lenihan----Mulgrew-----Williams

---------------Reed-------Evans

--Rothwell-------Dack--------Palmer

----------------------Graham

With a quarter of the season gone I'd  say its a top half team possibly playoffs at this level, which is fantastic tbh. Lacks wide players though. And very dependent on Graham being fit and on form. Take Graham and Mulgrew out and we would seriously struggle.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

Mancs are from Manchester, not Bolton. Or Wigan. 

Wiganers are closer to Manchester and Liverpool than Preston or the heart of Lancashire; Lancaster. Same for bolton.

or we’d be arguing Liverpool and Everton is a derby.

Both towns are Greater Manchester. 

Edited by Scotland1
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

As a side note, I don’t want to keep going on about it but we sign a 7 mill striker and he can’t even get on from the bench. When you look at our recent plight, that’s ridiculous 

I agree with the sentiment but I don't think brereton would have made an impact today. 

• Backroom

I suspect Mowbray will really struggle to drop Smallwood. He likes his attitude too much. 

Possibly, but then Reed has a very similar attitude and is clearly a superior player. The only reason to play Smallwood ahead of him is that Smallwood is ours whereas Reed is on loan - but for me it's all about putting the best players in the team regardless of whether they're permanent or not. 

• Like 2

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

WTF

Your clearly struggling.

Both Wigan your example and Bolton are closer to Manchester than the nearest largest Lancashire settlement; Preston. Or the actual heart of Lancashire, Lancaster. 

The boundaries altered in 78? Which saw Warrington classed as Cheshire, Liverpool as Merseyside a place closer to Wigan than Lancashire, and Your old towns such as Bury, Oldham, Bolton m, Wigan etc reclassified as Greater Manchester.

Therefore unless your a womble or historian its another county and not a local derby, as I say it’s not even the same county therefore as I say it’s Burnley closest rival and PNE as a local rival. 

Sod the rest of them like Oldham and Wigan they don’t even register ?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, renrag said:

I thought it was his best game this season, at the same time admitting that’s not saying much about his form so far

He looked better granted. But he’s awful at centre back, far to rash far to woefully lacking in any positional sense. That said he’s never a chance in midfield after a Rodwell performance tonight.

We now have an international break to get Rodwell up to speed. After his performances is he above Smallwood in the pecking order ?

Secondly we lack height to deal with set pieces and Rodwell is a big strong lad. Could he not play at cb and push lennihan into the cm with Reed/Evans where he naturally wants to play and solve two problems ( in that he sees himself as a midfielder).  Also Rodwell can play Abit to. He has a a good range of passing and composure to set up attacks. With lenihan offering what Bennett offers in the middle.

Thoughts ?

• Like 1