BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Bolton vs Rovers

AAK

Just now, Scotland1 said:

Your clearly struggling.

Both Wigan your example and Bolton are closer to Manchester than the nearest largest Lancashire settlement; Preston. Or the actual heart of Lancashire, Lancaster. 

The boundaries altered in 78? Which saw Warrington classed as Cheshire, Liverpool as Merseyside a place closer to Wigan than Lancashire, and Your old towns such as Bury, Oldham, Bolton m, Wigan etc reclassified as Greater Manchester.

Therefore unless your a womble or historian its another county and not a local derby, as I say it’s not even the same county therefore as I say it’s Burnley closest rival and PNE as a local rival. 

Sod the rest of them like Oldham and Wigan they don’t even register ?

Rubbish.

They're all Lancashire, including the Manchester and Liverpool clubs. Each one is a local derby.

And while Lancaster might be the county town it's never been the "heart" of Lancashire

• Like 5

Just now, Oldgregg86 said:

We now have an international break to get Rodwell up to speed. After his performances is he above Smallwood in the pecking order ?

Secondly we lack height to deal with set pieces and Rodwell is a big strong lad. Could he not play at cb and push lennihan into the cm with Reed/Evans where he naturally wants to play and solve two problems ( in that he sees himself as a midfielder).  Also Rodwell can play Abit to. He has a a good range of passing and composure to set up attacks. With lenihan offering what Bennett offers in the middle.

Thoughts ?

Lenihan should be nowhere near midfield. I see nothing in his technical ability and distribution to put him there. The only reason would be that he would be less likely to give away a penalty 

• Like 1

Just now, Scotland1 said:

Your clearly struggling.

Both Wigan your example and Bolton are closer to Manchester than the nearest largest Lancashire settlement; Preston. Or the actual heart of Lancashire, Lancaster. 

The boundaries altered in 78? Which saw Warrington classed as Cheshire, Liverpool as Merseyside a place closer to Wigan than Lancashire, and Your old towns such as Bury, Oldham, Bolton m, Wigan etc reclassified as Greater Manchester.

Therefore unless your a womble or historian its another county and not a local derby, as I say it’s not even the same county therefore as I say it’s Burnley closest rival and PNE as a local rival. 

Sod the rest of them like Oldham and Wigan they don’t even register ?

WTF

• Backroom
Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I really liked the look of our starting line up. I haven't watched the game so I don't know why we lost the plot after opening the scoring.

It was really strange. Scoring seemed to drain our confidence rather than boost it. Things just got worse and worse as the game went on. I can understand why Mowbray felt frustrated by it. Having to bring on Evans and Smallwood shows that he lost faith in our attacking players getting a grip on the game, which must be concerning. 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Lenihan should be nowhere near midfield. I see nothing in his technical ability and distribution to put him there. The only reason would be that he would be less likely to give away a penalty 

He'd do exactly what Evans and Smallwood do but add height to win headers and keep us in possession to play on the front foot

Shame you’ve no pride in our ancient county Scotland1 (assuming you have some link to Lancashire) going back nearly a 1,000 years until some bureaucrat in the 1970s in London decided to alter the boundaries. 

I’ve no particular interest in Bolton, but considering it’s next to Darwen, it is by definition,  a local derby, end of.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 6

Just now, jim mk2 said:

Rubbish.

They're all Lancashire, including the Manchester and Liverpool clubs. Each one is a local derby.

And while Lancaster might be the county town it's never been the "heart" of Lancashire

I'm not even sure why he keeps bringing up Preston when the derby in question is Bolton v Rovers. He is Scottish though so I suppose we'll have to humour him. 

2 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Rubbish.

That's fine.  There are many local derby's but only one war!

• Like 1

Just now, Mattyblue said:

Shame you’ve no pride in our ancient county Scotland1 going back nearly a 1,000 years until some bureaucrat in the 1970s in London decided to alter the boundaries. 

I’ve no particular interest in Bolton, but considering it’s next to Darwen, it is by definition,  a local derby, end of.

Just now, Oldgregg86 said:

Regarding the derby debate. The fact it's ten miles away makes it a local derby regardless of invisible and ever changing lines 

He's the troll formerly known as DunnFC. A wrong 'un.

15 minutes ago, Scotland1 said:

Wiganers are closer to Manchester and Liverpool than Preston or the heart of Lancashire; Lancaster. Same for bolton.

or we’d be arguing Liverpool and Everton is a derby.

Both towns are Greater Manchester. 

Google puts Bolton as 35 minutes drive from Blackburn. Liverpool at 59 minutes. So, no.

Also, their distance from Lancaster is irrelevant, just their distance from us. Bolton is a derby...it just isn't the derby.

I feel like we're a Championship equivalent of Liverpool pre-Van Dijk. Stick in a quality, top 4 Championship standard, no-nonsense, intelligent centre half - probably in place of Lenihan - and I think we'd be majorly better for it. If Reed and Rodwell grow into that centre mid role it could be the difference between play-offs and not.

Edited by danger19_80
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, danger19_80 said:

I feel like we're a Championship equivalent of Liverpool pre-Van Dijk. Stick in a quality, top 4 Championship standard, no-nonsense, intelligent centre half - probably in place of Lenihan - and I think we'd be all the better for it. If Reed and Rodwell grow into that centre mid role it could be the difference between play-offs and not.

Give over, we don't have anything like going forward.

As Jim said, we're a solid mid-table side. 

• Like 1

The centre midfield is going to be the difference for us this year and going forward. It has to be more dynamic and preferably more height if we are ever to progress. Smallwood and Evans do what they do but it isn't good enough to propel us to the dizzy heights we all dream of

Bolton deserved to win the game. What our game plan was I am bewildered to wonder. They were far better than us. We scored and then just more or less said to them "come and score if you think you're good enough" for 60 minutes or so, and they very nearly did score about 5 or 6 times. 

Thought it was as poor as sheff utd game, but we played a team who weren't as clinical. 

Rodwell was atrocious, he said when he came to the club that all his career hes played cm when he is a cb, but he plays cm today. 

Lucky win but I'll take it. 

Edited by AAK

very happy to get the 3 points and a clean sheet. 

I felt the first 25/30 minutes we were very good and Rothwell very involved. Then we stopped playing and we were lucky first half not to be level with Bolton at half time. 

I disagree with us going 3 at the back at half time but looking back it really work well and stop them dominated us in the air. Rothwell and Rodwell going off I was surprise at but understand why Evans and Smallwood came on to make us more solid. I think we will start to see 3 at the back abit more to keep clean sheets and keep points on the board against teams who play very direct style

Thought Mulgrew was outstanding at the back and so pleased he is back.

This performance was about being defensive solid and full and grit and determination. Going forward was were very poor and very surprise after our start to the game. Our attacking play and passing need improve and was pleased to see Mowbray says this after the game.

officials were excellent today apart for them missing Wheater high challenge

Edited by chaddyrovers
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, danger19_80 said:

I feel like we're a Championship equivalent of Liverpool pre-Van Dijk. Stick in a quality, top 4 Championship standard, no-nonsense, intelligent centre half - probably in place of Lenihan - and I think we'd be all the better for it. If Reed and Rodwell grow into that centre mid role it could be the difference between play-offs and not.

You pished? 

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

very happy to get the 3 points and a clean sheet. 

I felt the first 25/30 minutes we were very good and Rothwell very involved. Then we stopped playing and we were lucky first half not to be level with Bolton at half time. 

I disagree with us going 3 at the back at half time but looking back it really work well and stop them dominated us in the air. Rothwell and Rodwell going off I was surprise at but understand why Evans and Smallwood came on to make us more solid. I think we will start to see 3 at the back abit more to keep clean sheets and keep points on the board against teams who play very direct style

Thought Mulgrew was outstanding at the back and so pleased he is back.

This performance was about being defensive solid and full and grit and determination. Going forward was were very poor and very surprise after our start to the game. Our attacking play and passing need improve and was pleased to see Mowbray says this after the game.

Mulgrew gave away a lazy penalty, he was lucky that the lad was offside, just. 

25 minutes ago, Scotland1 said:

He looked better granted. But he’s awful at centre back, far to rash far to woefully lacking in any positional sense. That said he’s never a chance in midfield after a Rodwell performance tonight.

Now we know you're a troll after the Rodwell line. Do 1 please you silly. 

Edited by AAK

1 minute ago, AAK said:

You pished? 

He's not comparing us to Liverpool more that the way Liverpool added van dijk made the difference between Liverpool this season and the one that competed for top four. Adding a good cb will make a huge difference is the point he was making

Edited by Oldgregg86
  • Like 1

Mowbray very honest in the post match interview. Told the players that it wasn't a good enough performance when we were in possession. Not happy with the way we played, but will take the 3 points.

The man is a legend.

Joint 6th despite going through a bad patch is a great start to the season. As Dack said it should have been better, but we'll take it.

Rodwell could be massive for this football club.

Enjoy the 3 points - Saturday night!

• Like 6